• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Holy dooley! What a weird coincidence. I guess not much is know as of now, like the what anime studio they're going to use. But this is great news nonetheless!
No news on that yet. I think Gonzo's a good choice considering how good the CT Opening is, and keeping in mind that they've worked on very good looking anime like Afro Samurai and Gantz.

Ufo Table is another good choice, Fate Zero was beautiful and very close to the source material. The fights were very well executed too. Plus, having them work on it might build hype. Also, if they worked on it, it's clear there would be a highlight on the darker aspects of the story and Ragna's suffering, seeing as that's their specialty.

I just hope it gets a decent budget and stays true to the source material with enough screen time for the 12 CT characters and fluid fight scenes.

A 12-15 Episode cour for Calamity Trigger can work, if enough money is put behind it.

If this does good, we might even see an animation of Continuum Shift and Chrono Phantasma, which mean's we'll explore plot points such as Relius building the Murakumo machines, Carl's revenge, Noel's transformation into Mu-12, etc...

D

Deleted member

Mario Galaxy 2 > Mario Galaxy 1

...carry on. :)
No way in hell.

SMG2 was mediocre for a Mario game at best.

The game removed the hubworld and was plagued with very boring and very linear level design.

The objective of each Galaxy was essentiall get to the end of the level and collect the star. This made the whole game feel like a boring and painful chore. Being forced to collect stars works in Sunshine and 64 because for 1, you have wide open worlds to explore, with the intro serving as a clue as to where to look and what to do. Despite having less worlds, they were much more creative and interesting to explore.

In Galaxy 2 the progression is just PAINFUL. Having to constantly backtrack to collect more stars was a pain in the ass, and it doesn't help that the objectives are all too similar. Now I know the previous Mario games did this, but in previous games, the backtracking wasn't as constant and repetitive. Removing the hub world was the first bad move and it went a long way into making the game feel very streamlined. Galaxy 2, like 3D Land, tries to be a 2D incarnate with 3D Mario mechanics. The entire game just goes halfway on that, and it doesn't work as well as it should.

2D Mario works because the objective is to get to the end and clear the level and then move on to the next, beating the castle. The focus is on tight platforming and mastering Mario to get over pitfalls and well placed enemies. The progression is linear, but there is not backtracking, this keeps a very forward flow with the whole game, which follows suit with the objective of each level: get to the end.

3D Mario's focus is more on exploration and collecting, not to the extent of Banjo or DK64, and Mario still retains his tight platforming controls, but your are thrown into this wide open playground where you are free to do what you want. Yes you have an objective, to find the star, but achieving that can vary from collecting red coins, to stealing it from a bird, to breaking walls, winning races, etc... All of which requiere a sequence of events which you activate as you explore the level. Mario Sunshine's Noki Noki Bay serves as a good example of this. Sure, there is a lot of backtracking to previous levels, but the levels feel different once you go back, because for one, you've unlocked new power ups which allow you to explore previously inaccessible areas in older levels. Not to mention the platforming challenges are still very well structured into the levels, requiring not just a clever and curious mind, but also keen reflexes.

Galaxy 2 fails at achieving BOTH of these as by blending both playstyles, it removes the strengths from each one. Galaxy 1 did it too, but it got away with it because it played more like Sunshine and 64, likewise it was very fresh in exploring neat ideas, likewise, the open levels were not only more memorable, but also had more variety to them. In Galaxy, all non-linear levels were "collect the 5 obviously placed Silver Stars." It also didn't help that Galaxy 2 was literally MORE of the same ****, without bringing anything truly new around, Yoshi and the new powerups were hardly anything necessary. Galaxy 1 was fine and it did not need a sequel. Galaxy 2 really doesn't have anything memorable to it, and the bosses and challenges were all pathetic. The first 3 worlds felt like awful tutorial levels. Hell, even the more fun and challenging levels were over too quickly. I still remember in Galaxy 1, the Manta Surfing Star had me stumped for hours as I tried to master it over and over again. The only time I died that many times in Galaxy 2 was when I would purposely kill myself to farm star bits.

As of now, I've beaten the main story, and began to explore the extra world, but seriously lost all motivation to continue when the "You need 80 stars" roadblock reared its ugly face again.

If I were to rate all of the 3D Mario, they would be as following:

64- 90
Sunshine- 85
Galaxy 1- 75
Galaxy 2- 65
3D Land- 60

Keep in mind that this is a real rating where 5 is average, not the inflated IGN scores where 5 is bad.

Both Galaxies are inferior for having more linear design and making Mario much more clunky to control than in Sunshine and 64.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Super Mario Sunshine is an underrated game. I will always feel like that. I played Super Mario 64 DS and liked it a lot too.

I never played Galaxy 2, but Galaxy was a masterpiece when it came to atmosphere.
I agree with ManlySpirit when he says the levels had lower emphasis on exploration. I didn't like how each level had less stars than 64 or Sunshine. The prankster comets were a nice addition that made up for that, though.

I remember that some of the comets' challenges were brutal, like the 8-bit Luigi's Purple Coins. I took a long time to clear that one.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Woaho Manly, you had pretty comprehensive review on what went wrong in Galaxy-games. Never see them that way until now. (Though I don't have a problem with that, but I can see why you do...)

Here's hoping they'd try better to blend those aspects together.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I won't deny. A linear 3D game can be good if done right.

Has anyone here played a Crash Bandicoot game?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
For me it was 64 > Galaxy > Galaxy 2 > Sunshine > 3D Land
Just my opinion though, they're all great games. Would play any of them again before more NSMB. :glare:

So I thought I should share this: there's apparently a third Sonic game exclusive to Wii U that hasn't been unveiled yet.

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_yet_to_reveal_another_exclusive_sonic_title
Yeah, yesterday Nintendo said they had a exclusive 3-game deal for Sonic and then announced two of them.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Galaxy was very good for a linear game imo. It may have lacked in difficulty and the comets may added some fluff to the game's length but it was fun nonetheless. It certainly felt like a great 2D experience in a somewhat open 3D world for me.
EDIT: Sunshine da bess.

Also, the Gamecube may not have sold as well as its contemporary competitors but it still yielded good profits for Nintendo despite having less than stellar sales figures.

D

Deleted member

Galaxy was very good for a linear game imo. It may have lacked in difficulty and the comets may added some fluff to the game's length but it was fun nonetheless. It certainly felt like a great 2D experience in a 3D world for me.
It's a good game, but it's not as good as the previous 3D Mario games.

Galaxy 1 is way better than 2 as well.

Both are good, but they are weak compared to the rest of the series.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sunshine's sweet game, but I can't say it's complete favourite of mine. Maybe it was the theming which turned out to be slightly repetitive, maybe it was the level design which was sometimes rather blandish and convoluted (PINNA PARK AND HOTEL DELFINO).

I don't hate the game though, it has certain place in my heart because I loved playing the hell out of it when I was young...

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Galaxy was very good for a linear game imo. It may have lacked in difficulty and the comets may added some fluff to the game's length but it was fun nonetheless. It certainly felt like a great 2D experience in a somewhat open 3D world for me.
EDIT: Sunshine da bess.

Also, the Gamecube may not have sold as well as its contemporary competitors but it still yielded good profits for Nintendo despite having less than stellar sales figures.

But the 100% "award" pissed me off.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I still think that the fluid movement of Mario in Super Mario 64 is one of the things that have aged well. Nintendo 64 and Playstation games in general have that sense of feeling outdated in my opinion.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
In fact, all the 100% awards in 3D Mario games after 64 (which wasn't all that great but still) are terrible, next time Nintendo give me something worthwhile for fully completing your game.

D

Deleted member

In fact, all the 100% awards in 3D Mario games after 64 (which wasn't all that great but still) are terrible, next time Nintendo give me something worthwhile for fully completing your game.
Peach in a Bikini?

Actually, as a child I expected much more out of Yoshi on the roof. I thought maybe you could ride him and get to this secret level or something. I spent hours trying to find a way to ride him or something. The Hundred Life bonus and Star Jumps felt like they could have been a key for a new level or something.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Nintendo should expand past that and allow enemies to get ANY power up in a Mario game

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Suddenly I want to see Captain Falcon in a tanooki suit.
Reminds me of this:

We need bikini DLC for the girls and fudonshi DLC for the men, because that was a huge hit with Tekken players.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If one of the new items introduced in Smash 4 (I mean, we WILL get new items, right?) is the Super Leaf from Mario, Tanooki tails for everyone becomes a reality. Special mode would then feature Tanooki mode for permanent tails.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
But wait, what about characters that already have a tail like Fox and Pikachu? Would they get another tail on their tail? DOES THAT MEAN DOUBLE TAIL POWER!?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I was joking there. The male swimsuits weren't all that well received. Just about every guy got fudonshi (even Kuma and Ogre) while the only exceptions were a few guys getting old school swimsuits (the ones that cover the top) while Lee was the only to actually get anything different, speedos. Meanwhile, the girls were much more diverse in what they got.

@YH
I pictured they'd be like the umbrellas in Melee except you can attack.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
But wait, what about characters that already have a tail like Fox and Pikachu? Would they get another tail on their tail? DOES THAT MEAN DOUBLE TAIL POWER!?
Or their old tail gets replaced with the Tanooki one. Like they did with the fake Bowser's in 3D Land and any other enemy that already had a tail.

I'd be pretty surprised if the Tanooki leaf isn't an item in smash.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In the Mario game with the tails, things that already have tails when they get the leaf power up have their tails replaced by tanooki tails

I was joking there. The male swimsuits weren't all that well received. Just about every guy got fudonshi (even Kuma and Ogre) while the only exceptions were a few guys getting old school swimsuits (the ones that cover the top) while Lee was the only to actually get anything different, speedos. Meanwhile, the girls were much more diverse in what they got.

@YH
I pictured they'd be like the umbrellas in Melee except you can attack.
Aren't woman's bathing suit's usually more diverse anyway?

Woman clothing in general is more diverse than mens

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So wait, what would the tails do? Let's you have more easier way to fly back?
Given a little thought, the tails could replace some A attacks like battering items such as Beam Swords or Home-Run Bats. If used in mid-air it could have the same effect it had in SMB3 and other Mario games.

This would be a transformation item, so it would only last some seconds before wearing off, much like the Mushrooms or Metal Boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom