• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I say deconfirmed or assist if Dedede's Waddle Dee special is shown,because it can be a rare part where Bandana dee comes out and throws a spear at you. Like Grodos or whatever the **** they're called. Also,new trend. I'm going to be saying **** a little bit more often,because new sig.
They're called Gordos. Seriously, ****. :troll:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The secret project in this movie is called "Deep 13"

Too bad the main character's names aren't Joe or Mike

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Maybe Bandana Dee is better than a generic enemy with an accessory because:
A:Bandana Dee is now one of the main characters and a staple in the Kirby series.
B:He has multiple roles and appearances.

Unlike I don't know... Goombario? XD

And odd?
He is pretty popular and makes a lot of sense.
I'm not so sure about that...

He appeared in five (or so) games out of over forty, if you're counting the bandanna one, not just the generic ones, and was playable in a grand total of one (because they needed a fourth player and picked a generic character, ala yellow and blue Toads in NSMB). What exactly makes you think he's a main character? What kind of role does he play that supports such a claim? He isn't even named "Bandanna Dee" in the games, he's just called Waddle Dee, like the rest of them. Him using a spear isn't even unique anymore since Dedede had a whole squad of Dee's wielding spears in Triple Deluxe. Well it was simple enough to defeat both point A and B. Popularity? Now that's really subjective, a small group of people probably like him, I'd bet the small kids on Miiverse do. That doesn't really mean much though does it? King K. Rool is the number one most requested newcomer worldwide and people still doubt him, he's my most wanted character and I still doubt him.

Now does it make sense? Not really, Kirby doesn't really need anyone else, it has all three main characters. And before anyone goes "but Mario has five and Pokemon has like seven if you count the Trainer's Pokemon separate," Kirby doesn't need more characters because Mario has more, no series needs more characters because another has more. Of course that's all up to opinion as well I suppose, I just think the idea of "reps" is a load of it, series should get more characters because they have viable options that are actually important/unique enough to warrent a spot, not because they need to fill a slot on the roster.

And in regards to your comment about Toad, he had plenty of moveset potential, and he was marginally more important than Rosalina to the Mario franchise as a whole, but we still got Rosalina anyway. Bandanna Dee might have potential, but he's not important enough and Kirby doesn't even need him. Again, before someone says that Mario didn't need Rosalina, it's ****ing Mario, Nintendo milks the **** out of it, Kirby is a big franchise but he isn't the Nintendo's mascot.

Like I said before, I'm in full support of your support, I won't put anyone down for their choices, opinions and such. Just like you shouldn't jump someone for not liking Bandanna Dee and being incredibly skeptical of the idea. I'm a (somewhat) big Kirby fan too and I'd rather not be at ends with another.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would say that Waddle Dee IS the 4th most important Kirby character.
His playable role may have been because of the lack of a better option, but it happened, and instantly made him one of the most important.
After Dee's appearance in RTDL, he went on to appear in the intro to Kirby's Dream Collection, a feat only met by Dedede, Meta Knight, the generic Dees, and Kirby himself.
In Triple Deluxe, Waddle Dee appears as a Streetpass shopkeeper-type character, similarly to Toad in Super Mario 3D Land.
So he is reappearing more often, but I personally would wait until Smash 5.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I will say bandana dee is one of the few characters I have a lot more support for.

While all the reasons have been done to death by this point on his chances in smash, my personal reasons include:

1.Me just liking Waddle Dees

2.Loving kirby superstar ultra

3.Thinking Bandana Dee's loyalty to King dedede is a lot better than toad's will ever be.

4.It would be cool to see a spear user.

5.Bandana Dee also actually has a character

6. Compared with Captain Toad, which while having a character, his whole main thing is that he doesn't fight.

He isn't even named "Bandanna Dee"
Just a quick note, that's not entirely true.

In Japan, he is actually called: "Bandana Waddle Dee."

And considering Sakurai is Japan > America that could be a deciding factor.

But really, even with my support, I do see the negatives with all the characters support and can easily see why some would become assist trophies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I would say that Waddle Dee IS the 4th most important Kirby character.
His playable role may have been because of the lack of a better option, but it happened, and instantly made him one of the most important.
After Dee's appearance in RTDL, he went on to appear in the intro to Kirby's Dream Collection, a feat only met by Dedede, Meta Knight, the generic Dees, and Kirby himself.
In Triple Deluxe, Waddle Dee appears as a Streetpass shopkeeper-type character, similarly to Toad in Super Mario 3D Land.
So he is reappearing more often, but I personally would wait until Smash 5.
Toad was playable in SMB2 (USA), some of the "New" SMB games, and Super Mario 3D World (and the countless spin-offs), yet he isn't really any more important than he already was. If he was surrounded by generic Dee's in the Dream Collection, then that should already tell you something.

Just a quick note, that's not entirely true.

In Japan, he is actually called: "Bandana Waddle Dee."

And considering Sakurai is Japan > America that could be a deciding factor.
I see, thanks for the correction, I wouldn't have made that point had I known that. :laugh:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If he was surrounded by generic Dee's in the Dream Collection, then that should already tell you something.
You mean the fact that Waddle Dees have been around for 20 years, which was kinda the point of the Dream Collection?

I mean, I accept the fact that you don't support Bandana Dee, I just don't agree with it.

And the generic species argument is a real load of garbage. We have Yoshi, every Pokemon character, ROB, Game and Watch, what makes them exempt from the argument?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I'm not so sure about that...

He appeared in five (or so) games out of over forty, if you're counting the bandanna one, not just the generic ones, and was playable in a grand total of one (because they needed a fourth player and picked a generic character, ala yellow and blue Toads in NSMB). What exactly makes you think he's a main character?

What kind of role does he play that supports such a claim? He isn't even named "Bandanna Dee" in the games, he's just called Waddle Dee, like the rest of them.

Him using a spear isn't even unique anymore since Dedede had a whole squad of Dee's wielding spears in Triple Deluxe. Well it was simple enough to defeat both point A and B. Popularity? Now that's really subjective, a small group of people probably like him, I'd bet the small kids on Miiverse do.

Now does it make sense? Not really, Kirby doesn't really need anyone else, it has all three main characters. And before anyone goes "but Mario has five and Pokemon has like seven if you count the Trainer's Pokemon separate," Kirby doesn't need more characters because Mario has more, no series needs more characters because another has more. Of course that's all up to opinion as well I suppose, I just think the idea of "reps" is a load of it, series should get more characters because they have viable options that are actually important/unique enough to warrent a spot, not because they need to fill a slot on the roster.
And in regards to your comment about Toad, he had plenty of moveset potential, and he was marginally more important than Rosalina to the Mario franchise as a whole, but we still got Rosalina anyway. Bandanna Dee might have potential, but he's not important enough and Kirby doesn't even need him. Again, before someone says that Mario didn't need Rosalina, it's ****ing Mario, Nintendo milks the **** out of it, Kirby is a big franchise but he isn't the Nintendo's mascot.

Like I said before, I'm in full support of your support, I won't put anyone down for their choices, opinions and such. Just like you shouldn't jump someone for not liking Bandanna Dee and being incredibly skeptical of the idea. I'm a (somewhat) big Kirby fan too and I'd rather not be at ends with another.
"I'm not so sure about that...

He appeared in five (or so) games out of over forty, if you're counting the bandanna one, not just the generic ones, and was playable in a grand total of one (because they needed a fourth player and picked a generic character, ala yellow and blue Toads in NSMB). What exactly makes you think he's a main character?"
Why not Gooey?, one of the animal buddies? Adeleine? they chose Bandana Dee for a reason, and I don't know if the reason was because he is a "generic enemy"...
He is obviously one main character because since Return's to Dreamland he is appearing in all the Kirby games along Meta Knight and Dedede.
He even appear in Triple Deluxe with a supporter role and Meta Knight doesn't appear (except for a cameo).

And Sakurai knows about his importance:
-Sakurai's tweet:

"What kind of role does he play that supports such a claim? He isn't even named "Bandanna Dee" in the games, he's just called Waddle Dee, like the rest of them."
WRONG! XD
"Him using a spear isn't even unique anymore since Dedede had a whole squad of Dee's wielding spears in Triple Deluxe. Well it was simple enough to defeat both point A and B. Popularity? Now that's really subjective, a small group of people probably like him, I'd bet the small kids on Miiverse do."
Spear Waddle Dees are just novice soldiers and they appear since Canvas Curse, Triple Deluxe wasn't their first appearance, the only Waddle Dee that is an expert with the spear is Bandana Dee.

And about the popularity, he is pretty popular here and is one of the most wanted newcomers in Japan.

"Now does it make sense? Not really, Kirby doesn't really need anyone else, it has all three main characters. And before anyone goes "but Mario has five and Pokemon has like seven if you count the Trainer's Pokemon separate," Kirby doesn't need more characters because Mario has more, no series needs more characters because another has more. Of course that's all up to opinion as well I suppose, I just think the idea of "reps" is a load of it, series should get more characters because they have viable options that are actually important/unique enough to warrent a spot, not because they need to fill a slot on the roster."
Important and unique, you said it.
"And in regards to your comment about Toad, he had plenty of moveset potential, and he was marginally more important than Rosalina to the Mario franchise as a whole, but we still got Rosalina anyway. Bandanna Dee might have potential, but he's not important enough and Kirby doesn't even need him. Again, before someone says that Mario didn't need Rosalina, it's ****ing Mario, Nintendo milks the **** out of it, Kirby is a big franchise but he isn't the Nintendo's mascot."
I'm a Toad fan, but using Mario power ups is not moveset potential, also about the "reps" thing, do you think Sakurai thinks " Oh, Metroid definitively needs Ridley" , it's all an opinion, do you think Star Fox needs 3 characters?
If Sakurai wants a character, he will put it in the game.
The reps argument is terrible, Sakurai doens't think in the characters as reps.

"Like I said before, I'm in full support of your support, I won't put anyone down for their choices, opinions and such. Just like you shouldn't jump someone for not liking Bandanna Dee and being incredibly skeptical of the idea. I'm a (somewhat) big Kirby fan too and I'd rather not be at ends with another."
Don't worry, I respect your opinion :D

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You mean the fact that Waddle Dees have been around for 20 years, which was kinda the point of the Dream Collection?

I mean, I accept the fact that you don't support Bandana Dee, I just don't agree with it.

And the generic species argument is a real load of garbage. We have Yoshi, every Pokemon character, ROB, Game and Watch, what makes them exempt from the argument?
Woah, taking that a bit seriously aren'tcha? I never even used the generic species argument, I was comparing him to a Goomba. It's all for fun man. :laugh:

Why they didn't choose Gooey?, one of the animal buddies? Adeleine? they chose Bandana Dee for a reason, and I don't know if the reason was because he is a "generic enemy"...
He is obviously one main character because since Return's to Dreamland he is appearing in all the Kirby games along Meta Knight and Dedede.
He even appear in Triple Deluxe with a supporter role and Meta Knight doesn't appear (except for a cameo).

And about the popularity, he is pretty popular here and is one of the most wanted newcomers in Japan.

Important and unique, you said it.

I'm a Toad fan, but using Mario power ups is not moveset potential, also about the "reps" thing, do you think Sakurai thinks " Oh, Metroid definitively needs Ridley" , it's all an opinion, do you think Star Fox needs 3 characters?
If Sakurai wants a character, he will put it in the game.

Don't worry, I respect opinions, all that "Waddle Dee memes" are just jokes XD
Well Gooey and Adeleine aren't very important either, they probably wouldn't have made very good playable characters anyway. (I actually liked Adeleine though)
I don't think they chose him for a reason, I think they were lazy and just used him, it's not like Nintendo made two Toads playable for a reason in Mario, they didn't really have any ideas for that fourth player.

I still don't buy him being a main character, there are plenty of reoccurring characters that aren't really major. And as for Meta Knight not appearing, there was one game that even Dedede missed out on. I'd like to see some proof of him being "one of the most wanted in Japan." His importance is debatable, like I said.

Mario power ups? Toad is fast and super strong, he'd probably be the only character besides DK (and probably Ridley) to be able to carry characters around after a grab. Sure he could use a power up or two, but he has a lot more to pull from than that.

I don't think Sakurai goes about it like that, though he does listen to fan demand somewhat, and Ridley is the second most wanted character, so he does have a degree of likelihood. And Star Fox? I don't think it needs three characters but what it needs =/= who should get in. And Falco's only there because Sakurai needed to tack on some clones during Melee and he decided not to drop him for Brawl. Wolf would and should have gotten that spot, and he got his place in Brawl. If the point is that "what Sakurai wants is what happens" then why try to argue a case? What if he doesn't want another Kirby character?

You're cool though, and Waddle Dee is alright, I just like a good debate. Bit bored.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
[collapse=]In case you were wondering, I'm not hating on your odd choice of a character. I'm genuinely curious as to why one would so avidly want such a thing. And how the hell you think he's any better than those other characters. [/collapse]
Why would I want Bandana Dee in Smash? It's simple really.

Spearcopter

Not that I'm going to pretend he's really that likely or anything, just that I think it'd be cool for him to be playable.

Also, the FE nut in me wants to have at least one series with a complete weapon triangle

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I just remembered what I wanted to say before the whole Bandana Dee argument.

You see, I learned that there was apparently a Bravely Default collector thing. I got excited and then looked to see what I had to do to get it...only to discover it was sold out...everywhere.

Trying to be spoiler-free sure does have problems.

After all, the only reason I found out about this was because Nintendo did an unboxing video with a title that basically said there was a collector's edition.

I might as well depress myself even more. Does anyone know if those were the only ones getting sold?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

You see, I learned that there was apparently a Bravely Default collector thing. I got excited and then looked to see what I had to do to get it...only to discover it was sold out...everywhere.

After all, the only reason I found out about this was because Nintendo did an unboxing video with a title that basically said there was a collector's edition.

I might as well depress myself even more. Does anyone know if those were the only ones getting sold?
It's sold out and the game isn't even out yet!? I guess GFAQS was wrong about it's popularity.
What kind of loser looks at GFAQS topics anyway.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Woah, taking that a bit seriously aren'tcha? I never even used the generic species argument, I was comparing him to a Goomba. It's all for fun man. :laugh:

Well Gooey and Adeleine aren't very important either, they probably wouldn't have made very good playable characters anyway. (I actually liked Adeleine though)
I don't think they chose him for a reason, I think they were lazy and just used him, it's not like Nintendo made two Toads playable for a reason in Mario, they didn't really have any ideas for that fourth player.

I still don't buy him being a main character, there are plenty of reoccurring characters that aren't really major. And as for Meta Knight not appearing, there was one game that even Dedede missed out on. I'd like to see some proof of him being "one of the most wanted in Japan." His importance is debatable, like I said.

Mario power ups? Toad is fast and super strong, he'd probably be the only character besides DK (and probably Ridley) to be able to carry characters around after a grab. Sure he could use a power up or two, but he has a lot more to pull from than that.

I don't think Sakurai goes about it like that, though he does listen to fan demand somewhat, and Ridley is the second most wanted character, so he does have a degree of likelihood. And Star Fox? I don't think it needs three characters but what it needs =/= who should get in. And Falco's only there because Sakurai needed to tack on some clones during Melee and he decided not to drop him for Brawl. Wolf would and should have gotten that spot, and he got his place in Brawl. If the point is that "what Sakurai wants is what happens" then why try to argue a case? What if he doesn't want another Kirby character?

You're cool though, and Waddle Dee is alright, I just like a good debate. Bit bored.
Thanks, you're cool too XD
Here is the link of the japanese fanbase thread.
http://smashboards.com/threads/obse...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/

Read the OP and the 8th post.

And yeah I know Sakurai listen to the fanbase XD, that's why I said Bandana Dee was popular and requested.
I said the argument "what Sakurai wants is what happens" because you were saying that Kirby doesn't need more reps, if Sakurai wants more reps for Kirby or for another franchise he will add more reps, it was just an example to show you that the reps argument is very bad.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Why would I want Bandana Dee in Smash? It's simple really.
Not that I'm going to pretend he's really that likely or anything, just that I think it'd be cool for him to be playable.

Also, the FE nut in me wants to have at least one series with a complete weapon triangle[/collapse]
If anyone with a helicopter recovery got in, it'd have to be Dixie. Or Rayman... :troll:

Any character has the potential to be cool, but I'm just very picky about it. Bandanna Dee would really be cool if the roster had no limits. :laugh:

The only collectors editions worth anything are the ones that come with cast off figuers cool trinkets.

You should be able to find it if you look hard enough, and there are always those people that buy a load of something and then sell it on Ebay afterwards.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I have a feeling that Bandana Dee will be a strong contender when Smash 5 comes around. Right now he's only had a few major appearances, but if he keeps making minor appearances like he does in Triple Deluxe( and maybe even a few playable appearances like in RtDL), I think he'll generally become more requested/accepted in the future.
Any character has the potential to be cool, but I'm just very picky about it.
But does any character have the potential to use a SPEARCOPTER? :p

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The only collectors editions worth anything are the ones that come with cast off figuers cool trinkets.

You should be able to find it if you look hard enough, and there are always those people that buy a load of something and then sell it on Ebay afterwards.
Well, the thing that bothered me the most was that it came with the soundtrack.

Music is the one real thing with gaming that makes me feel bad when I have to resort to Converting it from youtube in order to have it.

It's because even if I never play the game again, I'm always going to probably listen to the music of it. And I would love to show my appreciation to the musicians involved...

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Bandana Dee is absolutely cute and adorable and I'd be totally okay with him being in Smash 4. Yes. ¦<

Also, staff and spear wielders are friggin badass.

D

Deleted member

What does Bandana Waddle Dee have over "Toad"?

Actual, non fan-****ed existence. :troll:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
What does Bandana Waddle Dee have over "Toad"?

Actual, non fan-****ed existence. :troll:
I don't really care about the canon, personally. We have Pikachu and other Pokemon, and they're members of a species, so Toad could have still gotten in on that. The Smash Bros. version of Toad would just be like a conglomerate character based off of all the toads and "Toad"s in the series.

D

Deleted member

I don't really care about the canon, personally. We have Pikachu and other Pokemon, and they're members of a species, so Toad could have still gotten in on that. The Smash Bros. version of Toad would just be like a conglomerate character based off of all the toads and "Toad"s in the series.
You're comparing monsters of a monster collecting franchise, one of which being the series mascot to a generic race in an everyman franchise with a core cast of characters.
That's not a good case.

EDIT: Not that I'm saying the concept of an "ambassador" of the Toad race for Smash (like in various sporting Mario titles) could never happen, but to try to use Pokémon as a counterpoint.....

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You're comparing monsters of a monster collecting franchise, one of which being the series mascot to a generic race in an everyman franchise with a core cast of characters.
That's not a good case.

EDIT: Not that I'm saying the concept of an "ambassador" of the Toad race for Smash (like in various sporting Mario titles) could never happen, but to try to use Pokémon as a counterpoint.....
Would you rather I compare it to Yoshi? Also a member of a species, even if there is a more clearly defined Yoshi than Toad. Or maybe R.O.B.? He didn't have a clearly defined character until SSE, after all.

D

Deleted member

Would you rather I compare it to Yoshi? Also a member of a species, even if there is a more clearly defined Yoshi than Toad. Or maybe R.O.B.? He didn't have a clearly defined character until SSE, after all.
Due to the fact there is a clearly defined Yoshi, using Yoshi as a counter is inapt.

And R.O.B.? Even more inapt. Now you're comparing a generic race from an everyman franchise with a core cast of characters to a gaming peripheral. (Though at least in the plot for Gyromite and Stack-Up, there is only one "R.O.B." in existence made by Prof. Hector.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom