• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would say that I know how you guys feel.....But I've only been here a few months. So yeah, there's that. Also, no ever stated whether or not they saw 47 Ronin. I guess it did flop. Oh well. And with this post, I've apparently became a champion of sorts.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
God just 3 more years and I've officially been a member of this site for 10 years... Where does the time go man?
I feel like a veteran for being here one year.

I can't imagine ten!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
On another note, I'm infinitely sadder to see Shy Guy deconfirmed again than I was for Toad.

At least they snuck in the multi-colored ones from both MKDS titles' Download Play Multiplayer modes. Loving this stage more and more.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'm on my 7th year but I go through periods of intense hibernation.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I pretty conservative on my posts. I only really post if I have some sort of constructive input to give. I usually play a game of tug o war in my mind whether I should post something or not.

I just farm here and take advantage of the intelligence present in this thread for increasing my message count for no reason.

*Queue in the people who tell me that it's not all dumb discussions and all that*

Yeah well, it happens from time to time BUT what happens most of the time then?

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I would say that I know how you guys feel.....But I've only been here a few months. So yeah, there's that. Also, no ever stated whether or not they saw 47 Ronin. I guess it did flop. Oh well. And with this post, I've apparently became a champion of sorts.
I'm a bit late to the party but about 47 Ronin-From what I've heard it is OMG you have to see this just to believe how hilariously bad it is bad. I've been trying to wanting to go see it to laugh at it/compare it to the source material(I'm a fan of the Bunraku/Kabuki plays) but I can't get anyone to go see it with me. :(

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Had a feeling someone was going to respond with that. Considering all the Japanese stuff in the movie, it would stick out to me if a character in a semi-period piece knew Kung Fu. It'd be like seeing Native Americans fighting with Karate during the French and Indian War.
Ignoring the fact that "Kung Fu" in the modern sense and certainly in terms of the movie genera actually refers to a large variety of unrelated disciplines and teachings, Chinese culture was a massively huge deal at the time of the Ako vendetta the 47 Ronin was based off of(though I'm not entirely sure what time period the actual move takes place at) and although Chinese martial arts in particular wasn't a huge deal in Japan at the time like other Chinese arts were as far as I know, I certainly wouldn't find it jarring if a character or two practiced Chinese martial arts. The 47 Ronin story itself has a almost as many reference to Chinese culture as Japanese. It'd be more like if you saw a Native American using weapons that are actually from a different tribe of Native Americans but it was a tribe that they could conceivably have been in trade with.

That being said 47 Ronin is definitely a Samurai movie and not a Kung-fu/martial arts movie. Unless they screwed the source material more than I could ever had imagined.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Being a mod has nothing to do with post count.

Just saying.
If it did, then I would post random BS whatever chance I get.
I don't post much really, guess its cuz I'm usually very quiet irl and it translated here

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ignoring the fact that "Kung Fu" in the modern sense and certainly in terms of the movie genera actually refers to a large variety of unrelated disciplines and teachings, Chinese culture was a massively huge deal at the time of the Ako vendetta the 47 Ronin was based off of(though I'm not entirely sure what time period the actual move takes place at) and although Chinese martial arts in particular wasn't a huge deal in Japan at the time like other Chinese arts were as far as I know, I certainly wouldn't find it jarring if a character or two practiced Chinese martial arts. The 47 Ronin story itself has a almost as many reference to Chinese culture as Japanese. It'd be more like if you saw a Native American using weapons that are actually from a different tribe of Native Americans but it was a tribe that they would conceivably been

That being said 47 Ronin is definitely a Samurai movie and not a Kung-fu/martial arts movie. Unless they screwed the source material more than I could ever had imagined.
Well, when you put it that way, it wouldn't be too out of place if one or two people were doing it in a Japanese setting given the source material.

At least it's not like the Karate Kid remake. I just looked up that it's called The Kung Fu Dream in China while it's called The Best Kid in Japan and Korea after the original localized title for the Karate Kid films.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think people are smart enough that if they called it "The Kung Fu Kid" people would get the connection to the Karate kid. Especially if they said it in their advertisements

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think people are smart enough that if they called it "The Kung Fu Kid" people would get the connection to the Karate kid. Especially if they said it in their advertisements
They would've thought it was a Chinese knockoff.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Off topic but the latest Pokemon episode in Japan has a Wario look alike as a villain. I found this pretty amusing.
I bet he has a Skuntank.

...That would look less awkward if it wasn't for the swear filter. But eh, it's an official Pokemon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Awesome. I just evolved my Bunnelby into Diggersby in Pokemon Y last night.

D

Deleted member

Off topic but the latest Pokemon episode in Japan has a Wario look alike as a villain. I found this pretty amusing.
Here's hoping Charles Martinet does this guy's voice in the dub. :troll: (It won't happen, though)
I'd be willing to watch a newer episode solely for "Wario".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom