• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhl0si0n

Smash Apprentice
Me and my friends were talking about alternate costumes, when one of them said, "I think it would be cool if characters could have alts of other characters."

But seriously, what do you guys think? Being able to have an alt of a different character?

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
Man that'd be extremely weird..

Possibly OP of you changed to a small character and the OG was Bowser.

Morbi

Scavenger
Me and my friends were talking about alternate costumes, when one of them said, "I think it would be cool if characters could have alts of other characters."

But seriously, what do you guys think? Being able to have an alt of a different character?
That is something that I wouldn't really mind at all. Lucina as Chrom or Marth wouldn't be so bad, Dixie Kong would be another easy one. Some people hate the notion though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If a character isn't playable, I don't mind an alt in general. But if they are, it gets too confusing. Having two of the same character without a severely different costume can get confusing.(the Ganondorfs in Melee don't look super different from each other compared to say, Link, who has different colored Tunics)

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure the idea is that characters get alts of EACH OTHER.
Like Luigi wearing a Peach wig and dress in the pic above.
And the reverse, Peach wearing a Luigi suit.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's a not part of his body in one version of "Mario is Missing!".

The same version of that game was also the one that started a certain meme... (an old meme that I'm pretty sure is dead)

D

Deleted member

Bowser can toss spare shells in Mario Kart Double Dash.

He wears it. Just like any regular Koopa wears their shells.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
For the love of God this board is a mess. Downs are one thing, bugs I can accept.
But now there are 8 EIGHT topics on the first page opened by a bot.
Jesus Christ, what a mess.

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445

Sakurai ooooh sakurai make this happen!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm pretty sure the idea is that characters get alts of EACH OTHER.
Like Luigi wearing a Peach wig and dress in the pic above.
And the reverse, Peach wearing a Luigi suit.

A bit off topic but I wish this had been Princess Peach's personality in the main canon games. She was easily my favorite character in this comic series just because, well, she wasn't a stereotypical damsel in distress. The only games where she comes close to this is the Paper Mario games but in everything else she's borderline ******** or scientologist naive and it kind of irks me because the difference is night and day.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
A bit off topic but I wish this had been Princess Peach's personality in the main canon games. She was easily my favorite character in this comic series just because, well, she wasn't a stereotypical damsel in distress. The only games where she comes close to this is the Paper Mario games but in everything else she's borderline ******** or scientologist naive and it kind of irks me because the difference is night and day.

The Super Mario Adventures incarnation of Princess Peach really does need to be brought back. She's a lot more likable in this version, and, honest to goodness, I adore Peach in the Luigi costume. It's fitting. I don't understand how they went from kick-a$$ leader to "Tee-hee, oh Mario". I like strong female protagonists, which is probably why I like the Super Mario Adventure's Peach and Twilight Princess' Zelda.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You can blame the simplistic style that the Mario titles tend to have in terms of plot. Many of the games are simply "Peach is kidnapped by Bowser, Mario goes save her". Which for the most part doesn't lead to many character development opportunities. The RPG games do however do flesh out certain characters, sometimes depending on the game itself. The most notable example of this is Bowser, who instead of being a straight forward villain is given certain characteristics like being hot blooded, egotistical, dull witted, and is generally treated more like a bully trying to be a threat but often times flounders on his own words.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You can blame the simplistic style that the Mario titles tend to have in terms of plot. Many of the games are simply "Peach is kidnapped by Bowser, Mario goes save her". Which for the most part doesn't lead to many character development opportunities. The RPG games do however do flesh out certain characters, sometimes depending on the game itself. The most notable example of this is Bowser, who instead of being a straight forward villain is given certain characteristics like being hot blooded, egotistical, dull witted, and is generally treated more like a bully trying to be a threat but often times flounders on his own words.
I understand this but Peach is just so... dumb in most of the canon games. I know the games aren't really open to any indepth plot but she's always depicted as this airhead with a sort of starry eyed wonderment about freakin' everything. She's basically an adult child. Granted, Mario's equally as goofy but at least it's obvious that he has a drive and purpose when he does things while Peach is just in a constant state of derp. Luigi's personality in the comics and cartoons eventually became canon and I wish Peach's would eventually take that step too. Also, yes, Bowser is fantastic in all the RPG games. My favorite incarnation of him is how he is in SMRPG where he wears his insecurities on his sleeves but tries desperately to cover them up. Mario's a show off and Peach's naive but a bit of a firebrand which are just some of many reasons why it's still my favorite Mario game after all these years.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I understand this but Peach is just so... dumb in most of the canon games. I know the games aren't really open to any indepth plot but she's always depicted as this airhead with a sort of starry eyed wonderment about freakin' everything.
Maybe what Peach needs is an RPG centered around her finding herself without Mario or Bowser that isn't SMRPG.

Think Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy or any other RPG you like but with Peach as she explores her self and her ancestry. I don't know, maybe we'd figure out she's not as boneheaded as you and I think she is.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It was never the same for him after the first super mario
Of course it wasn't. Word of God confirmed this is actually near accurate to how the series works. The golfing and platformers all happen. In fact, there is no such thing as a game that didn't happen outside of Hotel Mario(at best). Did you know that Super Mario Galaxy 2's storyline only is non-canon to the first game's? The game itself is "just" as canon as everything else.

Honestly, people really need to stop throwing canon and Mario around. It's just beyond incorrect. The only thing it has is different continuities and that's it. There never was a real canon.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Of course it wasn't. Word of God confirmed this is actually near accurate to how the series works. The golfing and platformers all happen. In fact, there is no such thing as a game that didn't happen outside of Hotel Mario(at best). Did you know that Super Mario Galaxy 2's storyline only is non-canon to the first game's? The game itself is "just" as canon as everything else.

Honestly, people really need to stop throwing canon and Mario around. It's just beyond incorrect. The only thing it has is different continuities and that's it. There never was a real canon.
You've got that backwards about the Galaxy games. Galaxy 2 isn't non-canon.

Galaxy 2 officially retconned Galaxy 1 and is a 1 game universe reboot. Galaxy 1 is the game that's non-canon.

Not that any of it matters in the end.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
wait.....hyper what about galaxy 2's story being non canon? im legit confused.
It's what I said. Mario Galaxy 2's story does not take Galaxy 1's story into account.

That's literally the only time Miyamoto specifically says something is non-canon. Most assume Hotel Mario is too due to them saying the Zelda CD-i games were not canon. But it was never confirmed(as in they literally never said anything about Hotel Mario specifically). The thing is, you could easily argue the Paper Mario series has a different canon from the rest of the Mario games due to being an entirely different world with different physics and such. These don't exist in the other Mario games, including things like Golf and Kart. It's gotten to the point of weirdness in the actual Mario series that Metal Mario himself has become his own character. And not just a simple Mario power-up. He's even been a separate power-up for Dr. Mario in one game.(awkward, no?)

Super Mario RPG may also be an entirely non-canon game as well due to the different laws of physics(but that requires the Mario & Luigi series to be non-canon due to the cameo with Geno. Also, SMRPG's direct appearances of Link and Samus are suspicious). The Mario & Luigi series however fits in well enough due to Aliens being known since Super Mario Land, Dreams being a normal thing in Super Mario Bros. 2: USA, and the Babies already being part of the regular continuity.

The thing about Golf/Kart/etc. is that the Mario and Donkey Kong Country series were always connected from the start. Why wouldn't DK be able to naturally visit their worlds? Cranky Kong originally did show up to fight Mario first, after all in the original DK game.(as was implied by the DKC series. It has not been confirmed that Cranky is the original DK due to Word of God, mind you)

Galaxy 2 officially retconned Galaxy 1 and is a 1 game universe reboot. Galaxy 1 is the game that's non-canon.

Fair enough. Either way, only time any real "non-canon" bits ever were said. You'd think more would be, though...

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

What? I'm so confused...

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
What? I'm so confused...
Long story short, Miyamoto's a lazy, uncreative **** when it comes to story.

Probably why he always whines that he doesn't wanna make any stories. ¦D

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Gods can't be lazy? Oh, please.

He wants the Zelda series to be all about story and the Mario to, well, not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom