• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Except for the fact that Konami will lose a ****load of money by not putting Snake into something as HUGE as Super Smash Bros.
Not really. They don't lose any money here unless SSB advertises one of their games.

Brawl advertised Metal Gear Solid 4(that was it). Konami doesn't lose anything by not excluding Snake. People are still going to buy their games, with the giant cutscenes and great characters. SSB did not make Metal Gear Solid a big deal. It already was.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
He can't have a home on a console that no longer is in production. All Sega Systems are discontinued now. His home is anywhere right now.

You seem to not be understanding the thing here; Sonic doesn't appear on a Sega system anymore(because there is none for him to appear on). Ever. His home changed. He's closest with Nintendo obviously, but that's as far as it goes.

Third Parties don't have homes unless they only have had one system appearance, and that's their default home. For a while, that was Nintendo once their systems were dead, but now he's everywhere, so... he has none.
But Nintendo and Sega are still in the middle of a handshake. Technically he is still 3rd party at least until Lost World. As of now I guess you can say Sonic is "Roaming the streets".

Btw like you I had the same thought and tried to explain it to others and they disagreed that Sonic isn't first party. Now that I'm agreeing it seems like others are disagreeing. I don't understand this smash community.

Malion

Smash Ace
I understand but Nintendo is still a running company so where else is this origin going to run to for a place called "Home"?

no where?
Because what even is the point of having a home at this point? It seems like a valueless factor.

That'd be like if everything ended up on Mobile devices and the console markets crashed, would everything simply have the same origin?

I would say no. The origin of a game is more in the company that made it than the console it was made for... or more abstractly... which console still exists to be a proxy for whatever console it was originally on.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
If we for some reason don't get Solid Snake again, it's a very safe bet that he won't appear in PlayStation All-Stars 2 either (I know that chances are very unlikely but it still wouldn't get Snake.)

Besides, they got the REAL mascot of Metal Gear: some woman name Raiden. :troll:

Shroob

Sup?
But Nintendo and Sega are still in the middle of a handshake. Technically he is still 3rd party at least until Lost World. As of now I guess you can say Sonic is "Roaming the streets".

Btw like you I had the same thought and tried to explain it to others and they disagreed that Sonic isn't first party. Now that I'm agreeing it seems like others are disagreeing. I don't understand this smash community.
To be "First Party" means you're owned by the company. Lost World does not make Sonic 1st party. Sega can put up a deal for a new game with Sony tomorrow for a new Sonic game.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Not really. They don't lose any money here unless SSB advertises one of their games.

Brawl advertised Metal Gear Solid 4(that was it). Konami doesn't lose anything by not excluding Snake. People are still going to buy their games, with the giant cutscenes and great characters. SSB did not make Metal Gear Solid a big deal. It already was.
If Brawl advertised MGS4 (which wasn't on a Nintendo console, BTW), then why is it such a problem for Smash WiiU to advertise MGS5?

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
To be "First Party" means you're owned by the company. Lost World does not make Sonic 1st party. Sega can put up a deal for a new game with Sony tomorrow for a new Sonic game.
So you're agreeing with me? Plz explain to HyperFalcon

Shroob

Sup?
So you're agreeing with me? Plz explain to HyperFalcon
No, I don't agree with you at all.
If Brawl advertised MGS4 (which wasn't on a Nintendo console, BTW), then why is it such a problem for Smash WiiU to advertise MGS5?
There is no problem, but considering Kojima does not like the WiiU at all and there seems to be bad blood over him not putting MGS5 on the WiiU, I'm not holding my breath.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
No, I don't agree with you at all.

There is no problem, but considering Kojima does not like the WiiU at all and there seems to be bad blood over him not putting MGS5 on the WiiU, I'm not holding my breath.
Funny cuz I was stating to someone that he is not owned by nintendo. Thats pretty much what you are saying. Are you lost?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I didn't say it was. I said that Solid Snake not coming back for Smash won't really hurt Konami at all in reality.

Also, since every veteran are promoting Nintendo games, one veteran not doing that sounds a bit too odd. Sonic is promoting a Nintendo exclusive. Not just a Sonic game, but a Nintendo exclusive Sonic game. Why would Snake promote a game not even on a Nintendo system if he came back. It doesn't fit at all with the rest.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but it doesn't seem super likely to(the advertising bit). Also, I do believe it was Kojima who snuck in the Metal Gear Solid 4 adverts via his stage. I don't remember it being Sakurai's ideas at all, so...

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Everyone knows Sonic isn't owned by Nintendo, bud. I think you're lost.
And Sega's systems are now dead. Sonic's home is on anywhere he pleases. He is most commonly with Nintendo, and most notably, PC and Nintendo were where he came back first. He is heavily part of Nintendo now, though. It's the closest to a home he can have that isn't "everywhere he pleases". That's the thing about a Third Party with a dead system like him. His series no longer has a real home.
I'll find you a map

Malion

Smash Ace
Guys Sonic is Mario in a fur suit he hit a block and a hedgehog leaf came out.

Seriously it's true Nintendo owns Sonic... or Hedgehog Mario as he's known in Japan.

It's true I wouldn't deny it if I were you I have a source hold on let me write it on wikipedia.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Link?
Why??? We are discussing the ORIGIN not the entire series and future titles.
OK I know I'm really late with this and you can call bull**** if you want since this IS wikipedia but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_(video_game)
Release date: December 17, 1987 (for Japan any way)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_(video_game) (Scroll down to where it says Nintendo Entertainment System in bold lettering)
NES Port Release date: December 22, 1987 (in Japan anyway...) A whopping 5 day difference BUT it counts =P

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
OK I know I'm really late with this and you can call bull**** if you want since this IS wikipedia but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_(video_game)
Release date: December 17, 1987 (for Japan any way)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_(video_game) (Scroll down to where it says Nintendo Entertainment System in bold lettering)
NES Port Release date: December 22, 1987 (in Japan anyway...) A whopping 5 day difference BUT it counts =P

Snake being cut
I found that part ironic

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm all in for Snake being cut... especially if it paves the way for Simon Belmont and Lloyd Irving.

*equips flame shield*
Fixed. Pac-Man isn't a worthwhile switch. Snake's moveset is still unique enough for me to want him more than Pac-Man.

...Not that this couldn't happen, but still.

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
I didn't say it was. I said that Solid Snake not coming back for Smash won't really hurt Konami at all in reality.

Also, since every veteran are promoting Nintendo games, one veteran not doing that sounds a bit too odd. Sonic is promoting a Nintendo exclusive. Not just a Sonic game, but a Nintendo exclusive Sonic game. Why would Snake promote a game not even on a Nintendo system if he came back. It doesn't fit at all with the rest.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but it doesn't seem super likely to(the advertising bit). Also, I do believe it was Kojima who snuck in the Metal Gear Solid 4 adverts via his stage. I don't remember it being Sakurai's ideas at all, so...
Metal Gear Snake eater did appear on the nintendo 3DS so snak isn't ruled out but kojima only showed MGS5 for the ps4 and Xbox one

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
In all seriousness I've welcomed Snake with open arms ever since he was first revealed, but no matter how much time passed he always struck me as more of a guest character than an actual member of the Smash family.

If I had my way there wouldn't be any cuts, but since cuts are inevitable Snake would be at the top of my list out of everyone else. He had his time to shine in Brawl and paved the way for more relevant and requested 3rd parties like Sonic and Megaman.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

True... and Animal Crossing and Wii Fit were already a big deal before Villager and Wii Fit Trainer were added to SSB4.

Fire Emblem was already a big deal in Japan... adding Marth and Roy in Melee made Fire Emblem a big deal in the West.

Kid Icarus was a big deal at one time... adding Pit in Brawl made Kid Icarus a big deal again.

Ice Climber was not a big deal back in the day... adding Ice Climbers in Melee and Brawl did nothing to help Ice Climber. The game sucked back in the day and it still sucks today.

Malion

Smash Ace
I might be alone but I feel like I'd like Snake more if he was more stealthy and less bombs and bounce. I know they said him having a gun wouldn't fit but an item in the game is a gun it just feels odd.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Metal Gear Snake eater did appear on the nintendo 3DS so snake isn't ruled out but kojima only showed MGS5 for the ps4 and Xbox one
It has to be a new game to be advertised on the website. Won't work in this case. At least, not in the way you're thinking of. Snake isn't ruled out because he's a notable veteran. That's it.
True... and Animal Crossing and Wii Fit were already a big deal before Villager and Wii Fit Trainer were added to SSB4.

Fire Emblem was already a big deal in Japan... adding Marth and Roy in Melee made Fire Emblem a big deal in the West.

Kid Icarus was a big deal at one time... adding Pit in Brawl made Kid Icarus a big deal again.

Ice Climber was not a big deal back in the day... adding Ice Climbers in Melee and Brawl did nothing to help Ice Climber. The game sucked back in the day and it still sucks today.
I disagree with Ice Climber game sucking, but yeah. They don't need to return a character for their game to be awesome still. But the only thing we know about every returning veteran after e3 is that they're been tied to advertising a Nintendo-exclusive game and that's it. I have no idea if this is some permanent idea(which means Snake has no chance) or just something meant for fun and not relevant to anything. It could be an excuse to reveal them for all we know.

Malion

Smash Ace
I wonder if they could have MGS appear on the Virtual Console and advertise that?

That's the only way I could see that working... they did intend to have gamecube games on VC after all.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Someone try to explain to me the reason why MGS V is not coming to Wii U. The Wii U is every bit as powerful as PS3 and XBox 360, and then some. So why in the hell is it not coming to Wii U? Because Konami doesn't want to associate what they think is a "hardcore, mature" game on a Nintendo platform. Please try to tell me another reason, I'm open to discussion.
Perhaps its the fact that Nintendo targets children and the elderly rather than Microsoft and Sony's hardcore gaming audience.

I was happy when Arkham City was announced for WiiU. Of course, its the "Armored" edition =p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wonder if they could have MGS appear on the Virtual Console and advertise that?

That's the only way I could see that working... they did intend to have gamecube games on VC after all.
I could see it. Might be our best hope if that would be his only actual chance.(I'm thinking he could come back regardless of that, but Sakurai did update all the post-e3 veterans to advertise some games... even ones who didn't beforehand) I'm not sure why Sakurai even did that. Maybe it does mean that each veteran must show off a game to matter enough to return?

I highly doubt my last bit and I think those are coincidences, but who knows.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93

Yeah, a Twin Snakes remaster would be awesome!

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I don't really care about Snake appearing, I mean, he's okay but if he doesn't get in honestly I won't give an F, but I would care if he makes it before other potential characters like Shulk or Isaac or even Lucas, that just would be so stupid specially when we think of how irrelevant Metal Gear Solid has been for Nintendo in general.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I honestly don't care if Snake returns or not. Through I'd wish for some other 3rd party representation. Like Quote from Cave Story.

He'd be my choice if it were mine to make. Sadly, I don't see the possibility anymore

You have just become one of my favorite people on the planet.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I honestly don't care if Snake returns or not. Through I'd wish for some other 3rd party representation. Like Quote from Cave Story.

He'd be my choice if it were mine to make. Sadly, I don't see the possibility anymore
I would be real fine with this addition, it would be quite an accomplishment for indie gaming if this ever happened. I would probably main him more than Megaman.

Malion

Smash Ace
I'd like to see Neku added, as The World Ends with you was mainly a 3DS game... Sora and the like would be cool but I'm not holding my breath and that gets disney involved who might not be cool with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom