• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Why did they introduce a new type in fairy, hyping by saying it can take dragon and is IMMUNE to dragon, making attacks such as outrage dangerous to use...

And then release no powerful fairy pokemon except the legendary who might just be Uber

Sole reason I hoped Goodra was dragon/ fairy - to have a good fairy pokemon

Okay, havne't you noticed Pokemon is TERRIBLE with typing (just look at how well thhey've done over the generations), and cares NOTHING about balance? They make their game unbalanced on purpose, why were you expecting GOOD balance for fairy types?

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
So guys, I was watching Sonic's intro trailer over and over and something really caught me by surprise. I might be way off and/or it's just a quick trailer cut but after Mario throws Mega Man, Mega flips to his feet fast. It looks like L-Canceling, at least I think so. When I wasn't hypnotized by Sonic's return I could actually dissect what was going on some.

Please give me your thoughts.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
First things first. Since it's my first time....

1) What's the difference between X and Y?

2) Which one should I pick (Be honest)?

3) What should I and shouldn't I do once I play the game?

4) Is competitive pokemon a good idea?

1. Exclusives: http://www.serebii.net/xy/exclusives.shtml

Also a different Mega Charizard.

2. Depends on which ones you want.

3. Don't win!

4. Yeah. It's pretty fun. Lotta work though.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
That's not L-Canceling...that's an Ukemi or teching. It's been around since 64. Just press the shield button before you land when you are in hitstun.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
That's not L-Canceling...that's an Ukemi or teching. It's been around since 64. Just press the shield button before you land when you are in hitstun.
I see, wasn't that cut from brawl? I remember having the hardest time trying to bounce to my feet in brawl as easily as I did in Melee. I thought that was l canceling. I guess that refers to canceling regular moves?

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Why did they introduce a new type in fairy, hyping by saying it can take dragon and is IMMUNE to dragon, making attacks such as outrage dangerous to use...

And then release no powerful fairy pokemon except the legendary who might just be Uber

Sole reason I hoped Goodra was dragon/ fairy - to have a good fairy pokemon

With the current game mechanics if Outrage misses or is blocked by Protect, Detect, Wonder Guard, etc. it will end prematurely, I would imagine that switching into a Fairy type would have a similar effect. Therefore even if Outrage is negated by the opponent you are still free to choose from three other potential moves.

And as far as I know most of the Fairy types we've seen so far aren't going to out-speed popular Dragon Pokemon nor does it seem that most of them have the capability to force a switch on Dragon Pokemon. (Can't really say how it will impact Ubers though) It'll be interesting to see the full lineup of Fairy types when the game is finally released. All I know is that if Clefairy isn't going to be a Fairy type I'm going to throw a fit.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I see, wasn't that cut from brawl? I remember having the hardest time trying to bounce to my feet in brawl as easily as I did in Melee. I thought that was l canceling. I guess that refers to canceling regular moves?
The timing for Ukemis in Brawl is tighter due to the hitstun coding error. However, it's still easily executed after some practice. It helps recovering instead of being in the lay-down position. Both are a RNS situation but Ukemi'ing is faster than a get-up roll so you are more likely able to avoid being read.

I could explain that better if you want.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
The timing for Ukemis in Brawl is tighter due to the hitstun coding error. However, it's still easily executed after some practice. It helps recovering instead of being in the lay-down position. Both are a RNS situation but Ukemi'ing is faster than a get-up roll so you are more likely able to avoid being read.

*radio static*
I guess I better look this up...

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045

I understand completely actually. Thank you. Were Bowser and DK in particular harder to use that with? As much as I played before I quit in 2010 I swear I could not do it. Though maybe I always did and just didn't realize it. I was playing with a lot of competitive players after all.

Still all this time I thought L Canceling referred to that. Hahaha.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
you're talking about the input delay?

was that really a hitstun coding error, Iblis?

Smooth Criminal
I remember reading it somewhere. I could always be wrong and if someone were to challenge it I would retract it because I don't feel like looking it up. I might tomorrow. Too tired today.

Input delay? Do you mean the buffering?

One sec.

Dawn.

At :08, Inui Ukemi'd to roll over and Utilt Zeton vs. 1:01 where Zeton just faceplants into the platform. It forces the opponents reaction time to be faster to punish you/read you.

*Read - Just another term for guessing or knowing off a pattern what your opponent next move is usually ends in a punish/better stage control/zoning

*RPS - Rock Paper Scissors. Unforunately, this RPS situation is rigged in favor of the person who isn't in the lay-down position or Ukemi'ing because they have access to all their characters options. They can hardly be punishing for guessing wrong unless they over-commit or eat a get-up attack. A really good example of RPS is when Snake does his Dthrow. All he has to do is guess what get-up motion you are going to do to punish you while you are hoping he guesses wrong. It's really rigged in Snake's favor because his Ftilt covers all your options already, your get-up, your get-up attack, and with a little movement, your roll away either direction.

I hope this clears up what I was talking about.

EDIT: L-Canceling is lag canceling. The lag that you receive when landing while preforming an aerial. It cuts it in half(?) I believe in Melee and something like that in 64. Just press the shield button upon landing with an aerial attack.

Brawl kinda had L-Canceling but not really. We have auto-canceling where some aerials during certain frames if landed on the ground had less landing lag than during other parts of the move or it completely cut out the landing lag.

Marth is good character to see what I mean.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
When you were little you thought the moon was made out of cheese. Everyone point and laugh!
I just wanna take the time to say that I love you and every single post you make. It makes every time of day I see it absolutely glorious. XD

Also, I just finished going through Origins. I love Ash and all, but...Red accomplished more in an hour and thirty minutes than Ash has in a whole 15 years. Granted, it's because Origins was written like an actual show versus Ash's anime being written as a ****ty sell-out advertisement with no soul or character bar a few seasons, still.

I loved it. I want another one. <3

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Red can brag when he beats the Battle Frontier and meets more than 5 Legendaries. Till then, Ash seriously has a lot over him. Winning Leagues is easy as hell in the games. Winning the Battle Frontier is the most difficult thing ever. Red won one league. Ash won one league total. Ash also has befriend multiple Legendaries in canon, and even could've possibly caught one(Meloetta specifically).

That said, Red at least doesn't whine and he had won a game League, but he hasn't even faced the Battle Frontier. I haven't watched Origins, so I only know he faces
Mewtwo due to spoilers.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't remember Kuma being against Megaman's inclusion
I was skeptical given his exclusion in MvC3. One thing they said (I think) was that they felt that it would be more important to emphasize the original Megaman techniques instead of the RM ones. It was definitely an argument I could get behind.

Then I saw how much more interesting Megaman was in Smash (something of an ironic twist) by making ALL his attacks RM attacks, some of which were in unique ways like his DAir. So I changed my mind on Megaman using RM moves.

With Pac-Man, I just can't see him being an interesting character. If they can make him interesting, then by all means go ahead.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Red can brag when he beats the Battle Frontier and meets more than 5 Legendaries. Till then, Ash seriously has a lot over him. Winning Leagues is easy as hell in the games. Winning the Battle Frontier is the most difficult thing ever. Red won one league. Ash won one league total. Ash also has befriend multiple Legendaries in canon, and even could've possibly caught one(Meloetta specifically).

That said, Red at least doesn't whine and he had won a game League, but he hasn't even faced the Battle Frontier. I haven't watched Origins, so I only know he faces
Mewtwo due to spoilers.
I feel you on all of that. I really do.

But again, as much as I do love Ash and want to keep following him, there is one thing Red definitely has over him, at least for me, thanks to Origins.

...Nothing Red does makes me want to cringe, seethe and slam my face into the wall while repeatedly going "NO! NO! YOU GODDAMN IDIOT! WHY DID YOU DO THAT!?" XD;

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel you on all of that. I really do.

But again, as much as I do love Ash and want to keep following him, there is one thing Red definitely has over him, at least for me, thanks to Origins.

...Nothing Red does makes me want to cringe, seethe and slam my face into the wall while repeatedly going "NO! NO! YOU GODDAMN IDIOT! WHY DID YOU DO THAT!?" XD;
Now that I can agree with.

I do like how Ash never gives up, especially when his Pokemon are stolen. He will do anything to get them back. Kid deserves credit for how much he cares.

Also, Red did beat a Champion before, although technically Ash does by beating Gary during the Johto League, but that doesn't count for much since Gary isn't a Champion then. XD

Reznor

work in progress
if we are comparing Red and Ash then

it looks like Origins pokemon trainers are better than the original animes so i'd say Red > Ash

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

I do like how Ash never gives up, especially when his Pokemon are stolen. He will do anything to get them back. Kid deserves credit for how much he cares.

Also, Red did beat a Champion before, although technically Ash does by beating Gary during the Johto League, but that doesn't count for much since Gary isn't a Champion then. XD
Well regardless of everything, I honestly have some high hopes for the XY anime. Mainly because I'm sure they realize that after making something as amazing as Origins, they absolutely can't get away with making anything that isn't even slightly as good as it. There's just no excuse anymore

That, and I've honestly loved the previews for it so far. It seems like it'll have a strong start, so I'm hoping everything after the start keeps going strong and doesn't die out.

it looks like Origins pokemon trainers are better than the original animes so i'd say Red > Ash

Nono, we aren't. Just talking about things in general since I finished watching Origins. :3

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
And here I thought defending Ash against Red any was a big no-no.

Reznor

work in progress
Nono, we aren't. Just talking about things in general since I finished watching Origins. :3
looks like you guys were comparing them :smirk:

so about Origins what do you guys think was the coolest fight its probably Blastoise vs Charizard or Charizard vs Mewtwo

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

Speaking of, for those who just watched the most recent Pokemon B/W episode today with the Beheeyem and their spaceship, while using Meowth to translate, apparently the Beheeyem said that their mind control or whatever didn't work on Ash (and Jessie and James at the time) because it doesn't work on idiots.
So according to aliens, Ash is an idiot. :p

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

so about Origins what do you guys think was the coolest fight its probably Blastoise vs Charizard or Charizard vs Mewtwo
Charizard X VS. Mewtwo, no question. Charizard Falcon punched Mewtwo and broke his ribs and spinal cord (slow the animation when Charizard punches Mewtwo and watch Mewtwo's back, you'll see what I mean). How is that not the coolest fight scene?

Morbi

Scavenger
Speaking of, for those who just watched the most recent Pokemon B/W episode today with the Beheeyem and their spaceship, while using Meowth to translate, apparently the Beheeyem said that their mind control or whatever didn't work on Ash (and Jessie and James at the time) because it doesn't work on idiots.
So according to aliens, Ash is an idiot. :p
It took aliens to convince you? I have known this for close to a decade.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Out of those two (which are pretty much the only battles I've seen as I still have yet to watch Origins in its entirety), I think I might've liked the Charizard vs Blastoise fight better than the Mewtwo one. Hard to say.

Even if Mewtwo had to lose as he did, the fact they know they made him a fan fav should have been reason enough to give him a "Drake's Dragonite vs 4/5 of Ash's Pokemon" defeat. One-shotting Articuno was definitely cool, but I kinda wanted to see a little more before his capture.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well regardless of everything, I honestly have some high hopes for the XY anime. Mainly because I'm sure they realize that after making something as amazing as Origins, they absolutely can't get away with making anything that isn't even slightly as good as it. There's just no excuse anymore

That, and I've honestly loved the previews for it so far. It seems like it'll have a strong start, so I'm hoping everything after the start keeps going strong and doesn't die out.
For something called Origins, adding Mega Pokemon made me facepalm heavily. I mean, just... what? I thought it's based upon the actual Red/Blue...

And I don't consider Origins and the regular Anime related and don't feel a need to compare them. They're different adaptions with different storylines and different characters. So I'm not worried. :)

@Admiral Pit: I haven't finished the episode yet, damnit! :| You. Suck. Ash.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Mega Pokemon being added to an "origins" story at all is just massive retconning, but I don't really mind at this point.

Morbi

Scavenger
Mega Pokemon being added to an "origins" story at all is just massive retconning, but I don't really mind at this point.
I didn't really mind too much either. It is obviously the next big thing. It would have honestly been a little stupid to not throw it in there. At least it gave a decent enough reason to explain how a Charizard took out the Mewtwo. Origins did it's job. 2 minutes of footage doesn't change the first 3 and 9/10th episodes.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle

The animation in Origins was amazing. I hope they do more for G/S and later Pokemon games. Because I absolutely loved what they did. I almost cried for Cubone.

Oh Cubone... :(

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I know I'm alone on this, but I consider what happened in Origins to be less of a "retcon" of the games and more of a official backstory "reboot".

When I think of it that way, I'm totally fine with it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :3

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I'd hope MegaMan wouldn't be the only Mega in Smash 4.

Mega Lucario vs Mega Mewtwo X.. vs Mario and Wii Fit Trainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom