• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reznor

work in progress
I can't decide. Aside from the 5th gen bulbasaur line, grass starters have either been trash or completely outclassed by their water/fire counterparts. Chespin's line shows promise but I really like the other two as well. I'm probably not going to get the games until December anyways because of my jam packed schedule so I'll probably make my final decision based on their final movesets.

Add in: All my decisions from the past:

1st gen: squirtle
2nd gen: cyndaquil
3rd gen: treecko (and then, as a "joke" my dad restarted my game, so I got mudkip in my second run)
4th gen: piplup
5th gen: snivy (and was so severely disappointed with it that I restarted to get oshawatt by the fourth gym)
this seems like a fun idea

1st gen: Pikachu (yup I had yellow)
2nd gen: Totodile
3rd gen: Mudkip
4th: boxed
5th: release because I hate them all :smirk:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Speaking of X/Y, anyone else finished watching Origins?

I take it all back. The pacing of the show was actually extremely nice in my opinion now. I guess there could have been a bit more episodes of watching Red train but man they made the important events of Gen 1 pretty damn sick

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
this seems like a fun idea

1st gen: Pikachu (yup I had yellow)
3rd gen: Mudkip
4th: boxed
5th: release because I hate them all :smirk:
Who cares about the pokemon threads?
1st Gen: Well I only owned Leaf Green but... Bulbasaur
2nd Gen: Well I only owned Soul Silver but... Totodile
3rd Gen: Treecko
4th: Piplup
5th: Snivy

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: I remember playing explorers of darkness or whatever and I was a munchlax... My partner was a treecko... Good times...

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
all starters suck except for 3
Blaziken became broken with Speed Boost
Venusaur got Chlorophyll making it the best none broken starter
Infernape is ok

Venusaur is getting another buff this gen with Thick Fat so its gonna be even more awesome
Don't let the tiers fool you, some of the other starters are actually pretty good. Like Feraligatr, who has access to STAB Aqua Jet and Dragon dance/ Swords dance, making him extremely terrifying after a boost. He may be outshined by other Pokemon with similar tactics, but when comparing Starters amongst each other, he's defiantly to be considered.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Hey guys, what starter(s) are you going for in Pokemon X and Y?
In Pokemon X I'll be getting Froakie at the beginning. It reminds me of the first starter I got in a Pokemon game (Piplup in Pearl) in a way. A cute little water Pokemon. And I love it's evolutions, a ninja frog sounds awesome. (to me anyway) I plan on getting Charmander later on.

Reznor

work in progress
Don't let the tiers fool you, some of the other starters are actually pretty good. Like Feraligatr, who has access to STAB Aqua Jet and Dragon dance/ Swords dance, making him extremely terrifying after a boost. He may be outshined by other Pokemon with similar tactics, but when comparing Starters amongst each other, he's defiantly to be considered.
hes also my favorite starter and ya tiers aren't every thing I don't even use any top tier pokemon :cool:

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Add in: All my decisions from the past:

1st gen: squirtle
2nd gen: cyndaquil
3rd gen: treecko (and then, as a "joke" my dad restarted my game, so I got mudkip in my second run)
4th gen: piplup
5th gen: snivy (and was so severely disappointed with it that I restarted to get oshawatt by the fourth gym)
I personally went for:
1st gen: Bulbasaur (Even though Charmander was my favorite, but most of my friends picked Charmander as a starter and I wanted to be different)
3rd gen: Torchic
4th gen: Chimchar
5th gen: Snivy
6th gen: Not sure yet, but I'll most likely go for Fennekin.

Everyone here kinda of knows that I ain't a pokemon guy.

But X and Y might be my first pokemon game. Looks pretty good I guess.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm going to start one game, get all the Ite items, then transfer it all over to my second copy. I just gotta figure out whether to get the 2DS or 3DSXL.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I guess I should at least try to understand competitive Pokémon. Seems like such a hassle
I use to be a competitive Pokemon player until I started getting my can kicked more often than usual. Seriously, the 5th generation really beat my ass due to Stealth Rocks abuse.

I heard they're suppose to be nerfed along with other things, like weather abilities (heard that at the Pokemon spoiler thread). If that's true, than I might return to le scene.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Those were all unconfirmed rumors, sadly. Even if there's no new weather conditions, Stealth Rock needs a nerf bad. No typed damage would really be goddamn nice.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Those were all unconfirmed rumors, sadly. Even if there's no new weather conditions, Stealth Rock needs a nerf bad. No typed damage would really be goddamn nice.
I figured they were. That sucks... well, I hope it happens anyways. Volcarona and Charizard would appreciate that. I would appreciate that. We'd ALL appreciate that!

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I figured they were. That sucks... well, I hope it happens anyways. Volcarona and Charizard would appreciate that. I would appreciate that. We'd ALL appreciate that!
**** no. I hate charizard with a fiery passion and nerfing stealth rocks would send volcarona to god tier XD

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

I put this together for fun. You are welcome everyone.

I can't wait for Yveltal. At 5.8m (19 feet), it'll be the tallest Pokemon. (which is currently Dialga at 5.4m (17' 9") but I didn't have that model available) Unless another even taller one gets revealed... Oh man... So exciting...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, it tends to rock you like a hurricane. :troll:

That said, I've seen people who actually think Stealth Rock is fine. :facepalm: But that person was pretty much an idiotic troll anyway. For example, he said that Tobias having two Legendaries was absolutely fair in the Anime. Am I the only one laughing at the idiocy of the entire statement? Because that was not a fair fight.

Related, Ash has met every single Legendary so far, albeit, that's with movies combined. Red has not. In fact, Red may not have met a single Legendary in canon. Mewtwo is the only one arguable due to it being related to Team Rocket, but that doesn't mean much unless one counts the Origins Anime, which notably isn't an exact version of what happens in the games. I mean, Mega Pokemon show up in it, so that should say a lot right there.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord

That said, I've seen people who actually think Stealth Rock is fine. :facepalm: But that person was pretty much an idiotic troll anyway. For example, he said that Tobias having two Legendaries was absolutely fair in the Anime. Am I the only one laughing at the idiocy of the entire statement? Because that was not a fair fight.

Related, Ash has met every single Legendary so far, albeit, that's with movies combined. Red has not. In fact, Red may not have met a single Legendary in canon. Mewtwo is the only one arguable due to it being related to Team Rocket, but that doesn't mean much unless one counts the Origins Anime, which notably isn't an exact version of what happens in the games. I mean, Mega Pokemon show up in it, so that should say a lot right there.
You are overstating the problems of a move that mostly screws over pokemon that wouldn't even be that good without it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Latios is fine, but Darkrai...

Darkrai is uber and banned

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103

What I usually do when I see a Darkrai is predict a Dark void, I'll switch in a bulky Pokemon who will eat a Dark void and is able to get hit by Darkrai a couple of times, then Switch in my 409 Atk choice banded Scizor, forcing the Darkrai out or killing him with a U-turn. Strategies can be used to counter any Pokemon :grin:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
You are overstating the problems of a move that mostly screws over pokemon that wouldn't even be that good without it.
But they aren't affected to the level that stealth Rocks renders others to, which is why I mentioned Charizard and Volcarona. They lose half of their HP upon being switched in, and can be ohko'd afterwards, making them virtually useless if your spinner is down and rocks are in place.

Pokemon like Skarmory and Forretress can live without a type boosted stealth rocks.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No, I'm definitely not. Stealth Rock is ridiculously broken and makes many Pokemon absolutely unplayable. Charizard is decent without it. He's unplayable trash with it. Stealth Rock is absolutely terrible design and should not be typed.

Also, thanks for confirming exactly why it's broken. If the only thing it does is hurt already low-tier Pokemon, it has no reason to be that good. It does nothing against the overpowered ones, meaning it's absolutely not balanced in any way. People want it nerfed because it makes the fun part of competition, which is bringing your best-made Pokemon trained with skill and a bit of luck, not even matter. It ignores everything that makes it worthwhile.

Weather needs a nerf too as well. You are severely understating one of the most broken hazards in the series. It needs a nerf as is and should not be that good for no setup, and it doesn't leave either by default. It's way too powerful for doing so little. Meanwhile, Spikes and Poison Spikes are an actual balanced hazard in comparison. It does weak damage, the poison isn't very good as is(annoying, but that's it), and you need to take turns to make them fairly good, which is good design. There's a reason Stealth Rock stopped being a TM very quickly, it's because it was pretty much too broken to be accessible on a whim for tons of Pokemon. As well as other balance that has constantly been given each game, a good nerf on this would fix up competitive play a bit. Having it last 5 turns might work.(and it can't stack either, so it'd stay 5 turns no matter how often you use it) Another is to remove its ability to deal type-based damage. 1/16 at all times. It could also deal something like 10 damage per turn at all times, which only severely hurts a cheap Pokemon like Shedinja anyway.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So, I saw some trolls on another website bashing Pokémon X and Y for being "games for children" and having "bad graphics", when I saw this response.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I'm thinking about getting into competitive Pokemon, and I'm actually more interested in competitive Pokemon than I am in competitive Smash.
Pokemon is quite underrated as a competitive game. I love and play Pokemon competitively, if you need any help/tips about the competitive scene I'm always here :).
(PM so we can get into details for competitive X and Y)

Morbi

Scavenger
So, I saw some trolls on another website bashing Pokémon X and Y for being "games for children" and having "bad graphics", when I saw this response.
Sometimes I do watch for the story... Jigglypuff.

In all seriousness, the only game I played for graphics was Battlefield 3 on the Frostbite engine. I stayed for the gameplay though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Save for the fact I was clearly talking about the Anime, where Darkrai is extremely overpowered, movie or otherwise. Latios barely lost to a Pikachu, that is, a God Mode Pikachu. They aren't banned in the Anime, and never were. No Pokemon is officially(minus literal cheating tactics, which is not the case here). The issue isn't that they were banned, but that the fight was actually considered fair, which is pretty clearly not the case. Never mind that Ash defeated Tobias' two Legendaries, which was awesome in itself. And it gets better; Darkrai swept not just the entire League(Ash excluded), but beat all 8 Gym Leaders by itself. That should say how overpowered Tobias' team was. The fact he even got to not only see Tobias' second Pokemon, but beat it, does say a lot how badass Ash is right then and there.

Also, neither is fine. Nobody has ever been allowed to have multiple Legendaries on a team in any given situation in the Anime minus Tobias. Who we don't even know how he got them. Every Legendary Brandon got was shown fully onscreen, so at least it's justified. Ash barely beat one of them as well, being Regice.(who is the easiest to deal with due to Ice being one of the worst types in the history of Pokemon) Articuno's main appearance was also shown with the Battle Frontier member catching them. Tobias is the only one who has them for no reason except so Ash can easily lose(despite the fact that he showed to still be a deadly trainer even against Legendaries. Who knows what Pokemon Tobias had left. Probably more Legendaries...)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Save for the fact I was clearly talking about the Anime, where Darkrai is extremely overpowered, movie or otherwise. Latios barely lost to a Pikachu, that is, a God Mode Pikachu. They aren't banned in the Anime, and never were. No Pokemon is officially(minus literal cheating tactics, which is not the case here). The issue isn't that they were banned, but that the fight was actually considered fair, which is pretty clearly not the case. Never mind that Ash defeated Tobias' two Legendaries, which was awesome in itself. And it gets better; Darkrai swept not just the entire League(Ash excluded), but beat all 8 Gym Leaders by itself. That should say how overpowered Tobias' team was. The fact he even got to not only see Tobias' second Pokemon, but beat it, does say a lot how badass Ash is right then and there.

Also, neither is fine. Nobody has ever been allowed to have multiple Legendaries on a team in any given situation in the Anime minus Tobias. Who we don't even know how he got them. Every Legendary Brandon got was shown fully onscreen, so at least it's justified. Ash barely beat one of them as well, being Regice.(who is the easiest to deal with due to Ice being one of the worst types in the history of Pokemon) Articuno's main appearance was also shown with the Battle Frontier member catching them. Tobias is the only one who has them for no reason except so Ash can easily lose(despite the fact that he showed to still be a deadly trainer even against Legendaries. Who knows what Pokemon Tobias had left. Probably more Legendaries...)
1) Darkrai
3) Latios
3) Mewtwo
4) Arceus
5) Deoxys
6) Genesect

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
No, I'm definitely not. Stealth Rock is ridiculously broken and makes many Pokemon absolutely unplayable. Charizard is decent without it. He's unplayable trash with it. Stealth Rock is absolutely terrible design and should not be typed.

Also, thanks for confirming exactly why it's broken. If the only thing it does is hurt already low-tier Pokemon, it has no reason to be that good. It does nothing against the overpowered ones, meaning it's absolutely not balanced in any way. People want it nerfed because it makes the fun part of competition, which is bringing your best-made Pokemon trained with skill and a bit of luck, not even matter. It ignores everything that makes it worthwhile.

Weather needs a nerf too as well. You are severely understating one of the most broken hazards in the series. It needs a nerf as is and should not be that good for no setup, and it doesn't leave either by default. It's way too powerful for doing so little. Meanwhile, Spikes and Poison Spikes are an actual balanced hazard in comparison. It does weak damage, the poison isn't very good as is(annoying, but that's it), and you need to take turns to make them fairly good, which is good design. There's a reason Stealth Rock stopped being a TM very quickly, it's because it was pretty much too broken to be accessible on a whim for tons of Pokemon. As well as other balance that has constantly been given each game, a good nerf on this would fix up competitive play a bit. Having it last 5 turns might work.(and it can't stack either, so it'd stay 5 turns no matter how often you use it) Another is to remove its ability to deal type-based damage. 1/16 at all times. It could also deal something like 10 damage per turn at all times, which only severely hurts a cheap Pokemon like Shedinja anyway.
Does nothing to hurt overpowered pokemon: Volcarona, Gyrados, Dragonite and co. say hi.
The thing is that for every pokemon it screws over it keeps an obnoxious strategy and pokemon in check. Would you prefer it if pokemon just became a switch out war with no repercussions whatsoever? Also could you imagine how obnoxious focus sash would be? 50% damage does come off as bull****y sometimes but OBVIOUSLY there's no way to counter it right? The thing is, even if the execution wasn't perfect stealth rocks does add in something that was kind of needed,
an entry hazard that a flying//levitating pokemon couldn't laugh in the face of.

The way I see it, stealth rock is a necessary evil more then anything. Personally I'd just opt to make the damage cap at 25% or something like that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
1) Darkrai
2) Latiost
Try again. None of those are possible within the Anime due to a lack of multiple copies of them. Really, do some research on it before you actually give suggestions. Lugia, the other Legendary Birds(besides Ho-Oh), Latias, Heatran... there's a lot of multiples of Legendaries.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Try again. None of those are possible within the Anime due to a lack of multiple copies of them. Really, do some research on it before you actually give suggestions. Lugia, the other Legendary Birds(besides Ho-Oh), Latias, Heatran... there's a lot of multiples of Legendaries.
There are multiple Deoxys and Genesect in the anime

So much for your supposed research

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Pokemon is quite underrated as a competitive game. I love and play Pokemon competitively, if you need any help/tips about the competitive scene I'm always here :).
(PM so we can get into details for competitive X and Y)
Thanks much!

I'll probably start a PM when I'm able to get the game though, and I'm not certain I'll be able to get it shortly after it's released.

Morbi

Scavenger
Aren't there multiple Mewtwo's. The one in the First Movie/Special and the one with Awakened form... and the one in Origins too.

Deoxys had 2 in the anime. Who knows how many more.

It would be funny if the rest of Tobias' team was filled with Pichu.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Does nothing to hurt overpowered pokemon: Volcarona, Gyrados, Dragonite and co. say hi.
None of those are overpowered at all. Especially not with Fairy hanging around, making Dragonite kind of lame. But Dragonite has been overrated for a while. All of those are pretty easy to deal with.

The thing is that for every pokemon it screws over it keeps an obnoxious strategy and pokemon in check. Would you prefer it if pokemon just became a switch out war with no repercussions whatsoever?
Wow. It's as if I said to remove all hazards. ...Oh, wait, I didn't. How could I prefer something I never said. Drop the hyperbolic crap.

Also could you imagine how obnoxious focus sash would be? 50% damage does come off as bull****y sometimes but OBVIOUSLY there's no way to counter it right? The thing is, even if the execution wasn't perfect stealth rocks does add in something that was kind of needed,
an entry hazard that a flying//levitating pokemon couldn't laugh in the face of.
Stealth Rock added nothing useful, besides making low-tier Pokemon 100% unplayable.

The way I see it, stealth rock is a necessary evil more then anything. Personally I'd just opt to make the damage cap at 25% or something like that.
It's broken crap. 1/16 max damage if it's not going to auto-remove itself. Or 10 damage per turn, and then I would allow typed damage, since it'll be actually weak but still powerful. 30 damage a pop against some Pokemon isn't a bad thing.

The way I see it, Gamefreak already realized how broken it was and had to remove its TM status to try and weaken its usage. They already know it's a problem and they didn't until the competition proved it was broken. I'm also not interested in your obvious hyperbole and strawmanning. Nobody cares. Don't put words into people's mouths here. Some hate its existence, and you gotta deal with that. If it finally gets nerfed to high heaven, which it should by now, you gotta deal with it and find a better out that doesn't ruin low-tier Pokemon while barely affecting high-tier ones. No, Gyarados isn't that freakin' good. A single electric attack turns it to dust. Especially a Special move.

Reznor

work in progress
Thanks much!

I'll probably start a PM when I'm able to get the game though, and I'm not certain I'll be able to get it shortly after it's released.
its a good time to start competitive pokemon the 3ds is harder to hack than the DS so there will be a lot less hacked pokemon
hackers ruined competitive pokemon for me :glare:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom