• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Don't know, there is always a moveset that can be made for something like Pac-man.

The first fundamental rule for every character is their design. By typical standards, any character with feet can kick, any character with hands can punch, any character with a weapon like a sword or hammer can swing it around, and so on. Of course, there are many variations with punches and kicks, and basically you need to conform the assets around the design in question. For the argument in question, Pac-man is a character that has a lot of fundamental characteristics with cartoons, naturally many of his attacks would have a comedic nature to it, if I had to make comparisons it would be something along the lines of Peacock from Skullgirls. There would be signature ability to eat objects, but I would imagine that character to be very wacky with a lot of unorthodox attacks. While one would say that is stealing the spotlight from the likes of, say, Wario or Mr. Game & Watch, keep in mind that having the right combination of attacks and gameplay can still create that sense of diversity if you play it right.

While you don't need to agree on these points, I'll have to disagree that Pac-man having a moveset is theoretically impossible. Stripe away the face, and you'll actually see basic archetypes thrown around on par with pretty much any other fighting game character, because in the end the design and gameplay are connected to each other. This is why Captain Falcon has a moveset inspired by sentai works like Super Sentai and Kamen Rider, why Sheik has a moveset inspired by ninja, why R.O.B. is inspired by sci-fi robotics, and so on. Even characters that can fall into similar territory can be different by virtue of their design, an example being Marth and Ike.
I'm going off the fact that Sakurai stated he didn't want to give characters random punches or kicks this time around and wanted to make movesets more accurate to their actual games.

And in regards to Pac's actual games, everything he can do someone else already revealed already can do.

But again, who cares if that's the case? If he does end up in the game and that's how his moveset turns out, I'll just consider him the game's Edge Master. It'll work due to how old he is anyways.

But nevermind Pac-Man, because I'm ditching Lloyd as the character I support for Smash 4. I want me some Klonoa. <3

Besides, if Klonoa is in and has his blue outfit, Pac-Man will be there with him too, right there on his hat. Double Namco symbolism.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Hey haven't been here in a while LOL

Just wondering, is the game just called Smash Wii U? Smash 4? Are they planning on giving it a nickname?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I could see a newcomer announcement to hype up the Wii U (And 3DS) during Black Friday / Christmas.
Unless Super Smash Bros is going on sale, probably not. We'll probably get our next newcomer the next time we get a trailer, and I don't see that happening until the beginning of next year. Chances are Nintendo will hold another Nintendo Direct at the start of next year highlighting announced and unannounced titles for that year and beyond, just like earlier this year.

Just wondering, is the game just called Smash Wii U? Smash 4? Are they planning on giving it a nickname?
Super Smash Bros. Wii U
Super Smash Bros. 3DS

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

None. It's just Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

According to the main site, it's called "Super Smah Bro for Wii U"

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So, once upon a time, I told you guys that I hoped Victini would be playable in Sm4sh. Considering that it might not happen, I've decided to drop the desire.

However, something occurred to me- what if Sakurai represents every Generation this time through playability? I decided to create a plausible roster that would do just that.

1st: Pikachu- Pikachu has already been confirmed, so I won't explain why he should appear.

2nd: Typhlosion and Ethan- Typhlosion and has away been eyed as one of the most popular Starter Pokemon, and even starred in a special of the anime series, called Pokemon Chronicles. In HG/SS, he was revealed again as a starter Pokemon. Ethan would be Typhlosion's trainer, who would act as an NPC in the background like P.T. did.

3rd: Deoxys- Deoxys made an appearance in Brawl, but only as a pokeball variant. If the fourth generation wasn't released upon the Brawl era, I guarantee Deoxys would of been playable. He's also the best representation for the best 3rd generation because he is the most popular 3rd gen Pokemon.

4th: Lucario- hailing as one of the most popular Pokemon of the entire series, Lucario easily took a spot for Brawl. But why stop there? Hailing still as the most popular Pokemon of the fourth generation, being in a special B2W2 anime promotion, and gaining a Mega Evolution (I could go on, but the point should be gotten), Lucario still has a high possibility of returning as is. So, in a roster where every Generation is represented, he clearly represents the 4th generation best.

5th: Victini- Say what you want- Victini was very likely in BW times. He fit every criteria of every Pokemon that ever gained entry to SSB. He had a movie appearance, he is very popular, and was the most relevant Pokemon because he was a fifth generation Pokemon. He was- and is- the creator of Pokemon's most favorite Pokemon, as was once Pichu.

6th: Mewtwo Normal/Y/X: Anyone who thinks Mewtwo will return can make that assumption pretty well. Blasting in as the most wanted vetran, the most relevant Pokemon, and having a serious Anime special appearence so near, to possible character announcement, Mewtwo is almost practically confirmed at this point because there's so much going for him. I'm not saying he is, but him not returning would blow my mind. He also has two Mega evolutions, which is why he could represent X and Y.

---------------
So, there you have it. I hope I did a good job. If not, than please remember that this is an idea of a possible character all-gen representation, not a prediction roster. The roster you see is something I could only dream to happen.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I just watched all of Pokemon origins and all I can say is, that is the cutest Cuebone I have ever seen! :surprised:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I could see a newcomer announcement to hype up the Wii U (And 3DS) during Black Friday / Christmas.

December? There's always a certain game's anniversary around that month that could announce a certain green-haired Goddess.

Yep, had to be done.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I just watched all of Pokemon origins and all I can say is, that is the cutest Cuebone I have ever seen! :surprised:
Yeah, I watched the entire series awhile back. That's one interesting series... I wonder if the new anime series will be like that?

December? There's always a certain game's anniversary around that month that could announce a certain green-haired Goddess.

Yep, had to be done.
coughmagnuscough :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Kinda lame. This game is getting some good hype I really hope it's good and not a let down like Brawl was. I would love to start playing again.
Well, the game is already deviating from the slow defensive play that Brawl introduced, mainly speeding up the game and removing some questionable mechanics like the tripping. So that alone is a win, at least in my opinion.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, the game is already deviating from the slow defensive play that Brawl introduced, mainly speeding up the game and removing some questionable mechanics like the tripping. So that alone is a win, at least in my opinion.
Removing tripping was the best thing so far. We can all remember when we used to trip into F-smashes and bob-ombs. Glad that's gone.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Never heard of anything like that.
Oh for the love of god, you people. >_>

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/26/44...es-mega-man-smash-bros-s-other-new-characters

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

Yes, I see who the main focuses are on in both of these, but I think his line here pretty much sums up why having more canon movesets is more important this time around.

"If all we cared about was who we could get in the game, then he would just have regular old punches and kicks"

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Removing random tripping is in everyone's opinion. That was a horrible mechanic. And if you do like random tripping, than you're... tripping.

lucario_meme_faces_by_azmilucario997-d4wjvc8-2.png

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion

Yea but there was other stuff. Character balance is a big one. Metaknight was just way too good with multiple jumps, flying, and every special is a recovery, that too much in this game. Slow characters still get the short end of the stick. Then they removed L-canceling and dash dancing, stuff that wasn't hard but made a difference at high level play. They even made it an intentional part of the game going from 64 to Melee. And the thing that bugged me most about Brawl was that it seems to be more a game of trading hits than combos and strings. The only real combos were chaingrabs (which are lame in all the games) and moves that hit more than once. Also the dumb airdodge mechanic and auto-ledge grabs.

That's just how I feel. Brawl was watered down and didn't offer nearly as much as Melee. SSE was awesome, not gonna lie, and I like the look of the game more than Melee but gameplay-wise Melee is just superior in every way.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Apparently staying close to the canon is very vital to the character, hence why we got Captain Falcon, R.O.B., Sheik, Ness, Lucas, Fox, Pit, Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Ice Climbers, and so on that are perfect representations of their respective incarnations and have not been altered in any shape or form and stayed perfectly faithful 110%.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Apparently staying close to the canon is very vital to the character, hence why we got Captain Falcon, R.O.B., Sheik, Ness, Lucas, Fox, Pit, Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Ice Climbers, and so on that are perfect representations of their respective incarnations and have not been altered in any shape or form and stayed perfectly faithful 110%.
Technically, doesn't every character fit in this category? Like, for example, Pikachu's Thunderjolt. Thunderjolt isn't a move in Pokemon.

Alzi

Smash Master
They could have at least had an option to allow tripping to be on or off. I can understand why sakurai introduced it in brawl to mix things up in a fun way but it's not fun for those who play it competitively so having that option would have been nice.

I'm all up for any random thing he wants to add into smash 4 but as long as we have an option for it to turn it on or off then it would be pleasing many people.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Technically, doesn't every character fit in this category? Like, for example, Pikachu's Thunderjolt. Thunderjolt isn't a move in Pokemon.
Pretty much, yes.

Like, Kirby cannot utilize Top Spin, Burning, Hammer, Cutter, Stone, Suplex , etc. without their respective powers.
Also, the majority of Marth's and Ike's attacks are made up, with loose inspiration coming from other classes.
Also, Samus and Mewtwo should clearly be way too OP, but are not.
Oh, and don't forget Jigglypuff's Rest attack does the complete opposite of what it does in the Pokemon games.

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman

Yep, had to be done.
quick offtopic: i swear this pic reminds me of princess bubblegum off adventure time. on topic: she'd be a fun char to play with

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Do it. The animations pretty.

Seriously though, get some rest man. This shouldn't even be a choice: SAT's come first. The video will more then likely be there after you've completed the exam. Trust me, you'll need a good coping mechanism after it's over.
Yeah I know. I just need something to ease my nervousness. Thank you though. I'm gonna try to demolish that test tomorrow. :) :) :)

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Pretty much, yes.

Like, Kirby cannot utilize Top Spin, Burning, Hammer, Cutter, Stone, Suplex , etc. without their respective powers.
Also, the majority of Marth's and Ike's attacks are made up, with loose inspiration coming from other classes.
Also, Samus and Mewtwo should clearly be way too OP, but are not.
Oh, and don't forget Jigglypuff's Rest attack does the complete opposite of what it does in the Pokemon games.
Exactly.
Olimar should be small enough to fit into ROB's eye.
Charizard should be 4 times as big as Pikachu, not around 2.
Water Gun doesn't do damage.
Dedede has a random, out-of-nowhere Jet Hammer.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Villager actually is, yes. (Have you even played Animal Crossing before?) Wii Fit Trainer actually is, yes. Fox didn't have anything to begin with, but gained those Smash things in Starfox Assault. Pit actually IS, yes.

And those interviews were both talking specifically about Smash 4. I don't see ANY of those other characters listed confirmed for Smash 4.

Seriously, are you just trying to dig up anything to force your way at this point or what? He's the one who said it in those. What're you so objective about?

Edit: Oh forget this. An entire week of this has done nothing but waste my time. I'm just going to ignore whatever the next reply is and continue actually enjoying myself here. - -

Reznor

work in progress
Exactly.
Olimar should be small enough to fit into ROB's eye.
Charizard should be 4 times as big as Pikachu, not around 2.
Water Gun doesn't do damage.
Dedede has a random, out-of-nowhere Jet Hammer.
Dedede uses the jet hammer in 3 games

yup i'm a know it all :awesome:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
There's a series on YouTube that shows were all the moves for a character originated from if you guys really want to know why a certain character does what.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
quick offtopic: i swear this pic reminds me of princess bubblegum off adventure time. on topic: she'd be a fun char to play with
It's because of SCIENCE!

Definitely fun to play with if she makes it. Always there for fellow Palutena supporters. <3

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was watching this thing on pokemon and the guy was saying "How is Charizard suppose to be intimidating when he isn't even as tall as a full grown man"

I was like "Well **** you then"

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I was watching this thing on pokemon and the guy was saying "How is Charizard suppose to be intimidating when he isn't even as tall as a full grown man"

I was like "Well **** you then"
As far as Charizard is concerned, at the time the target audience was Japanese children, which I assume are a bit shorter on average. I mean your average Japanese man is 170cm, same as Charizard. SO FOR KIDS, Charizard would be large, but still on a very human scale, y'know? Easier to connect with? Like, if your Charizard is the same height as your dad, Charizard's probably a good height for you to sit on its shoulders too. I think that's mainly what the designers try to keep in mind.

MAYBE YOU SHOULD STOP PLAYING GAMES FOR BABIES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom