• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Besides being quick and being able to pluck items from the ground?
I don't know what else Toad brings to the table.

As for the Pokémon rep, we'll probably get a reveal October 14th or if it's a special enough we might get a reveal with a trailer during October's Direct.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
She appeared on the same day Super Mario Bros. 1 got a VC release in all regions. It's just a latest game.

And no, Luigi's matches up exactly with Super Mario Bros. 2 Lost Levels on August 8th. Dream Team seems like it should've been the date, but that wasn't the actual case. Every character thusfar has been revealed on the release date(VC is included here) of one of the games in their series. Bar none.
You're reading too much into the Luigi release. He was explicitly revealed as part of "The Year of Luigi", and his profile linked to Mario and Luigi: Dream Team. VC release is coincedental for the region.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

This pic is amazing!

Peach should stop eating spicy food!

D

Deleted member

My thoughts on Toon Link's reveal:

- Kind of disappointed that Toon Link is a semi-clone again. Granted, I expected it, but I would have appreciated more lugification, especially after the revamp we saw with Bowser and the new moves Pit has.

- Pretty much disconfirmed Classic Link: If Toon Link was going to get replaced by anyone, it would have been by Classic Link. I don't see us getting three Links this game.

- Bodes well for Lucario and Ike: One thing to take away from this is that a character won't be replaced/cut just because don't have a most recent appearance. Keep in mind that development for a A Link Between Two Worlds started in 2011, so Sakurai clearly must have known of Classic Link's return in time to decide whenever or not he would be in. Ultimately, Toon Link was chosen. This is good for Lucario and Ike because it means that they won't get replaced because they aren't from the most recent generation/most recent Lord.

- Also bodes well for Toad and Ridley: Toon Link's inclusion shows that Sakurai doesn't mind having a playable character also serve a non-playable role (unless Sakurai considered Spirit Track Link to be different). This means that even if Ridley is a stage hazard, he still has a chance of being playable (though that's not to say his chance wouldn't be hurt). It also helps Toad, even if I still feel his chances are low.

- Less possible cuts overall. Toon Link was one of six characters I considered to be possible cuts (along with Snake, Sonic, Lucario, Ike and Pokémon Trainer). With him in, this leaves us with only five possible cuts and even then, the only one I could see getting the axe is Snake (and for very good reasons).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You're reading too much into the Luigi release. He was explicitly revealed as part of "The Year of Luigi", and his profile linked to Mario and Luigi: Dream Team. VC release is coincedental for the region.
You're the one overly reading into it.

They just keep announcing a player character on the same day as one of the games in their series is released. This is actually what's been happening. The Dream Team part is far less coincidental at this point and barely relevant to the date he was shown on. At best, realistically, he was going to be shown that month at either of those dates. All that says is that we know he'd be there that month regardless. It has zip to do with what date he was shown on, which is just the release date of a Super Mario Bros. game. Just like Peach. Toon Link and Olimar got shown on the release date of, what do you know, their games they're part of the series. And not even playable for Peach or Olimar's case.

It's factually "Reveal character on the date of a game in their series released" so far. Unless it's for a series that is getting zero games released again, I can't see a reason this'll change at any time. No, you haven't given a good reason either. Dream Team wasn't as relevant as you think it was.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
If Nintendo REALLY studied Toad MAYBE he could have a cool playstyle. But the chances of them doing that much to make him special and reference games many people don't even know exist seems unlikely.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
"Toon Link can't get in because he's a part of a stage" they said.
"He is going to get replaced by ALBW Link because MUH PATTERNS!" they said.
"All the Toon Link fanboys are just in denial, he is 100% getting cut!" they said.

"Well screw your rules, Toon Link will be playable once more!" Said Sakurai!

I can't express to you guys how happy this has made me. I already knew that the Spirit Tracks stage argument was utterly bogus and flawed from the very beginning since as we have been stating for months. Both Wind Waker Link and Spirit Tracks Link are not the same people and never were so they could always easily coexist with each other. Glad Sakurai didn't let us down.

Now this has definitely increased my hype. Now Sakurai should at least bring Mewtwo back and my hype will skyrocket over the moon. (It would go over the whole solar system if he were to include Professor Layton and Anna too but I'm not holding my breath for them...)

I'm definitely a very happy fan. Thank you Sakurai for bringing back my Brawl most wanted character and main. You're awesome! :grin:

Now If you guys don't mind me. I'll be listening to this awesome track now while looking at the awesome new screenshots.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
unless Sakurai considered Spirit Track Link to be different
Spirit Tracks Link is different from Toon Link, actually.

Toon Link is Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link, while Spirit Tracks Link is another Link.

Actually, this was the main argument that supported Toon Link's inclusion despite ST Link appearing in the Spirit Tracks stage.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Spirit Tracks Link is different from Toon Link, actually.

Toon Link is Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link, while Spirit Tracks Link is another Link.

Actually, this was the main argument that supported Toon Link's inclusion despite ST Link appearing in the Spirit Tracks stage.
And thus, Ridley fans had hope again and all was well.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Woah...

Had a moment of realization, you guys know how people complained about Peach's final smash?\

Sleepy Time in Super Mario RPG. What a cool sneaky reference...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Enjoy it as much as you just can Kiwi

Everyone is so overjoyed on Tink's return even if he's still all semiclone and so on, woo~

Toasts for most beloved Link in our community!

Capps: Perrrrrrrrr-----haps. I mean SMRPG wasn't left out before when it came to Peach's representation, so this might be not too far off.

Zyskyoto

Banned via Warnings
Enjoy it as much as you just can Kiwi

Everyone is so overjoyed on Tink's return even if he's still all semiclone and so on, woo~

Toasts for most beloved Link in our community!

Capps: Perrrrrrrrr-----haps. I mean SMRPG wasn't left out before when it came to Peach's representation, so this might be not too far off.
y-you too

Zyskyoto

Banned via Warnings
Really cool that Tink is confirmed, though. Wonder who the next newcomer will be.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I could still say I can't get all hopeful on Rid and especially Toad even if TL seems to be proven otherwise in his appearance.
I believe Ridley has bit more chance (since hmm clone-clone-cloned) but Toad I can't yet see unless he becomes Blue Toad. I dunno but I think that Toad's more in the plank of de-confirmed due still staying as Peach's B-move.

I mean, in Melee we had a Toad running on the background in the Yoshi Team-section in Mushroom Kingdom (and I think another). I personally believe Sakurai hasn't still changed his mind on not really seeing fighting potential on Toad and relocates him as the usual cowardly background prop or Peach's special (because he's basically the bodyguard)

Ridley I think we can be hopeful but I dunno about Toad. 3D World's release might be the final answer on the coffin, but that again could be affected by yet another WTF-appearance of Mario-newcomer (or veteran, maybe Doc due Brawl?) or we see Bowser Jr. appearing in 3D World.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Welp, I'm bored. I went and looked at the Toad moveset in the support thread and facepalmed, they didn't reference almost ANYTHING from his games and just made stuff up...

Time to make a toad moveset just for fun.

Zyskyoto

Banned via Warnings
am i the only one that hates ridley and will even go as far to say the metroid series is overrated

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I remember my first Zelda game, the very first one, but due to being born in the late 90s I couldn't play the original. Instead I played it on the Collector's Edition along with the other titles included on it. I had so much fun.

Then I tried the Wind Waker demo, and saw the teaser included with the game, and I fell in love with the game right after. I messed with the demo version for a while when my mom walked into the room and saw me sailing on the King of Red Lions. Turns out she had been playing a game where she could sail on ships as well. :chuckle: (Pirates of the Caribbean online was what she used to play) when I told her it was a demo she gladly started searching for the game online and it didn't take long to find it.

I spent the rest of the month playing Wind Waker as often as I could, I loved it. (in spite of being a complete video game noob at the time) everything stunned me, the characters, the areas and the plot, though at the time I wasn't as familiar with the Zelda storyline and timeline. Only when I played through Ocarina of Time did I realize how brilliant the plot was. ( in my opinion the plot for Wind Waker is one of the most brilliant and well executed)

Sorry for rambling, lol. I'm so glad Toon Link is back. I would've enjoyed the game without him, but everytime a character I want is revealed, the game gets 50 times better.

Zyskyoto

Banned via Warnings
Honestly I'd more excited about the new Smash if I would ever be willing to trade my dignity for a Wii U/3DS.

still, it's definitely something i enjoy talking about with you guys.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Oh hai there, Sausage. :troll:
Okay, really? This again? I told you guys I don't appreciate being called that. I'll say this once more: Please stop calling me sausage. It makes no sense whatsoever and. If you're going to call me anything, Bryan or AuraSage will do.

I'm already having a bad afternoon as is, and I don't need it getting worse.

/rantover

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
And thus, Ridley fans had hope again and all was well.

I find it kinda funny that some Ridley supporters were really advocating for him to be playable, but when there is a even sliver of a chance showing that may not happen they just decide to pack it up or start acting like bahbees by typing long paragraphs saying they won't buy the game. Amazing how one thing can cause such a massive uproar.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Thinking about the T.Link on the Spirit Tracks stage made me come up with a possible character mechanic: What if when you play a specific stage without a specific character makes that character appear in the background?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why must there be a law that states Link should not have positive qualities and give it to another Link to put salt on the wound.
Part of the problem is that Link's frame data is atrocious - a 6 frame jab is awful for this kind of game. Then there just seems to be a bias towards certain types of character traits in the Smash games and Toon Link just happens to have the favorable traits. Link's recovery being total **** doesn't help either.

What would really help Link is to have a lot of his frame data tweaked and improve either his jumps or his recovery.

Thinking about the T.Link on the Spirit Tracks stage made me come up with a possible character mechanic: What if when you play a specific stage without a specific character makes that character appear in the background?
That's not a mechanic.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's a shame Sakurai didn't put a funny pic of Toon (Wind Waker) Link standing beside his descendant Conductor Link on the 3DS version.

Glad I didn't lose faith in him.

----
I actually made a post about that back when the "Write a Character Rejection Letter" thread was new and active. Hope we get a pic of those two soon as well.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
It's a shame Sakurai didn't put a funny pic of Toon (Wind Waker) Link standing beside his descendant Conductor Link on the 3DS version.

While we might have found it a big deal, Sakurai probably didn't know that people were that whiny about the whole situation and didn't make a photo of it.

Sounds more like something Suda 51 would do.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sort of like in SSFIV where in that African airport level Balrog makes an appearance from within the plane, but if a player is using Balrog, Vega pops up instead. And I think if both Balrog and Vega are used, Sagat shows up.

Problem is, Sakurai would need a substitute for Ridley. And there's no other Metroid boss that could do what Ridley can.

This update certainly shuffled the deck for me. I have no idea what to expect now as far as characters go, but at least I can say I'm excited that we'll probably be getting 2 character reveals every month. Hopefully.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HARD I'M LAUGHING AT THIS TOON LINK REVEAL.

Whew, glad to know who the second Link is, I felt like there was going to be one.

Sakurai, take me now. <3

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Back to Toad quick, upon doing some intense research, holy crap Toad has potential. He can actually do a lot of cool things if you look into him very far, I just have this feeling they wouldn't want to reference things so old or obscure, I dunno.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sort of like in SSFIV where in that African airport level Balrog makes an appearance from within the plane, but if a player is using Balrog, Vega pops up instead. And I think if both Balrog and Vega are used, Sagat shows up.
Correction, it was
that shows up if Balrog and Vega are used. Sagat left Shadaloo following the events of SF2.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Correction, it was
that shows up if Balrog and Vega are used. Sagat left Shadaloo following the events of SF2.

Ah, never really followed the story of SF (not to mention I probably never played a lot of Vega vs Balrog in that stage)
Thanks for clearing that up!

lmaod at the pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom