• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So, you guys know I'm working on a database project to keep info from smash tournaments right?

I'm trying to brainstorm a name, any ideas?
Why Am I Putting Myself Through This Torture?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nah, isn't that just one of Mario's alt costumes? :troll:
Actually, it's Green Mario's. :troll:

Mario does have a Wario lookalike in 64/Melee. I think he still kept his Yellow/Purple costume in Brawl, but it's been a while. I'd rather play as Wario instead, since he doesn't like Mario does.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Actually, it's Green Mario's. :troll:

Mario does have a Wario lookalike in 64/Melee. I think he still kept his Yellow/Purple costume in Brawl, but it's been a while. I'd rather play as Wario instead, since he doesn't like Mario does.
What if getting yellow Mario's costume made him look exactly the same as Wario. That would be cool and weird.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
No, it'd be stupid and confusing.
But, you could have two yellow Wario's and two yellow Mario's and have fun. Or am I the only one who would think this is fun. *cricket noises*
I guess I am the only one.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
But, you could have two yellow Wario's and two yellow Mario's and have fun. Or am I the only one who would think this is fun. *cricket noises*
I guess I am the only one.

I don't care what pieces of clothing they wear (if any) , as long as i can play as all my favourite Wario Bros; Mario, Wario, Dr. Mario, now we only have to wait 'til Sakurai confirms waluigi for them to be complete...:troll:

D

Deleted member

sorry It's just me.......I like to see who would get mad at me sometimes.....but meh I admit it HD looks good on Smash Bros.......but still if you don't cel shaded graphics don't talk about it :\
HD is practically a necessity for this generation. At least 1080p is.

Especially considering that we're about to hit 4k resolution with TVs quite soon, and the PS4 and Xbone are gonna have a supposed 10 year cycle.

So you can kindly stay with cathode tube TVs for as long as you want, meanwhile I'll embrace the future.

Kudos, good sir.

D

Deleted member

I must be the only one here that actually uses my VHS for movies and don't care about HD that much. That's just me of course.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
HD is never necessary whatsoever. It's a useful tool, though.

Not everybody cares about super hugely nice looking graphics. Some care about the gameplay first. HD only has one use, cutscenes. Which are movies. Yeah, I want the movies to look pretty nice. The actual gameplay? If it ain't hurt my eyes, don't care what the graphics look like. I know what I'm doing, and that's all that matters.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
As much as I love great graphics, they aren't necessary. I mean, I'm overjoyed Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker got a remake with improved graphics, but I could've lived without those remakes, same goes for every game, if I had a remake of every single game I played, then I guess I'd just be living in an improved past.

Gameplay is always what matters over graphics if you ask me. (unless it's anything like the Virtual Boy)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As much as I love great graphics, they aren't necessary. I mean, I'm overjoyed Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker got a remake with improved graphics, but I could've lived without those remakes, same goes for every game, if I had a remake of every single game I played, then I guess I'd just be living in an improved past.

Gameplay is always what matters over graphics if you ask me. (unless it's anything like the Virtual Boy)
Give me polished gameplay, and we're good. And VB was exactly what I meant by having them "good enough" to play.

D

Deleted member

HD is never necessary whatsoever. It's a useful tool, though.

Not everybody cares about super hugely nice looking graphics. Some care about the gameplay first. HD only has one use, cutscenes. Which are movies. Yeah, I want the movies to look pretty nice. The actual gameplay? If it ain't hurt my eyes, don't care what the graphics look like. I know what I'm doing, and that's all that matters.
You DO know that graphics affect physics right? And many games are made by good physics, Smash Bros IS one of those games. Another example is Portal.

Graphics also means bigger levels, and less loading times, or rather no loading times.

Not to mention, the stardard will evolve, regardless of what the consumer may or may not think. New more power processing and computing powers will come along, that new power will bring about new possibilities in what can be done in game design, the developers that choose not to embrace the new standards will be left in the dust.

No, graphics aren't everything, but they sure as hell are important, AND necessary.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I never understood that. How do graphics affect physics?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
everything is important in a game

I understand the whole "graphics aren't important as long as the gameplay is good" sentiment and I can agree to a certain extent but I don't agree with demeaning one aspect just because other aspects are more important

gaming is all about immersion, and for immersion everything has to fall into place so as to not have anything unnecessarily interfere with the experience

having poor graphics can be something that can be an interference to the overall experience, especially glitchy graphics

let's aim for an entire package, not just the meat and potatoes

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You DO know that graphics affect physics right? And many games are made by good physics, Smash Bros IS one of those games. Another example is Portal.
How? Explain how they have any effect.

Graphics also means bigger levels, and less loading times, or rather no loading times.
Not exactly. As long as the graphics flow with the rest of the game, it doesn't matter if they're blocky or not. The graphics themselves are not that important, the art style just needs to be consistent to make the game look good.

Not to mention, the stardard will evolve, regardless of what the consumer may or may not think. New more power processing and computing powers will come along, that new power will bring about new possibilities in what can be done in game design, the developers that choose not to embrace the new standards will be left in the dust.
And yet many don't care. Because Graphics aren't very important at all. Yay, the game isn't an eyesore. Okay, the job is done.

No, graphics aren't everything, but they sure as hell are important, AND necessary.
Nope. Make it look presentable, and you're good.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yup. I hope HD doesn't go too far where Mario looks like that hideous spawn of Satan.
Because HD graphics means that everything will be super realistic.

Processing power. As graphics improve with technology, there is an improvement to how objects interact with the world. Two things that were almost impossible for the longest time were hair and dress physics. Those require a lot of fine details which mean lot of polygons and processing of those polygons. To give you an idea for this, Merida's hair in Brave required TWELVE different programs to be used all at once to be have realistically.

D

Deleted member

Be
Because graphics run on the GPU, which is also what's used to run the physics engines.

Greater GPU = better graphics = better physics.

Graphics isn't just making things prettier your know, it's whole nother processing power that's also very important.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

I understand the whole "graphics aren't important as long as the gameplay is good" sentiment and I can agree to a certain extent but I don't agree with demeaning one aspect just because other aspects are more important

gaming is all about immersion, and for immersion everything has to fall into place so as to not have anything unnecessarily interfere with the experience

having poor graphics can be something that can be an interference to the overall experience, especially glitchy graphics

This is a good post.

Smooth Criminal

D

Deleted member

Oh, I didn't even get into that, but yes, immersion plays a HUGE role in gaming as well. And graphics facilitate immersion.

I thought gaming was about having fun.
Define 'fun'?
inb4 the dumb Spongebob song.

Fun can come from a challenge, it can come from competition, but immersion is also a huge aspect when it comes to having fun. Feeling like you're experiencing something you can't irl. This is why people want VR in the first place.

Skyrim is basically ALL about immersion, and it's one of the few games where graphics DO make it much better. Playing Skyrim with all the graphics, skin, immersion and survival mods makes the game a million times better. And guess what, to be able to use half of those mods, you gotta have a powerful GPU.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
well, what exactly did you think I meant by immersion, shin?

when you're having fun or enjoying playing a game, you're into the experience. that's what immersion is

all I'm saying is graphics aren't a disposable aspect of a game

and that a game developer should care about all aspects of their game

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm thinking more about this, but do you guys really think this would've been as effective at tearing your heart strings if it was in the game's 32-bit Lego graphics?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I know I wouldn't have enjoyed a game like Pikmin if it had Nintendo 64 esque graphics.

Pikmin 2 had gorgeous graphics around the time it first came out if you ask me, and that's one of the things I loved about it. The gameplay was fantastic, but the game just wouldn't be the same if the graphics weren't as they were.

Also, a lot of models in the N64 games were oddly shaped. I think developers will look at things differently when the graphics for something are greatly improved, and thus may affect how the physics for the model work, assuming the physics are meant to be a bit similar. (like Mario in SM64, then came along SMG)

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Hate to bring up Divine again, but- http://smashboards.com/threads/form...ros-as-a-dangerous-brand-at-evo.340027/page-2

One thing that he really needs to change is to stop calling others out for saying something comparable (but certainly not as bad) to what he's said prievously.
I voiced my thoughts on the current discussion.

when you're having fun or enjoying playing a game, you're into the experience. that's what immersion is

I agree.

As much as I was a gameplay first, graphics later kind of person a game is a game by everything in it. If Smash 4 were to all of a sudden subjectively cater to the kind of game I want it to be but the graphics are like the 144p option on Youtube (why the hell do they even have that anyway?) then I can say I would be thoroughly disappointed.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone else want a new Saffron City stage where the Pokemon actually interact with you in some way?

Nothing too extreme like Spear Pillar legendaries but something like the 64 stage.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm thinking more about this, but do you guys really think this would've been as effective at tearing your heart strings if it was in the game's 32-bit Lego graphics?
Probably. Those cutscene graphics don't look much better than the in game ones.

You don't need better graphics to generate emotional reactions. Just look at games like Thomas Was Alone.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Funny you say that. I ignore the graphics at all times outside of a cutscene. I pay attention to everything else. Can I see what I'm doing? Yes. Okay. And considering you can find text-based games with music, the Graphic part is entirely irrelevant to many games. But no music? The music sucks? The game is very difficult to play. I need some background noise to really enjoy it. This is why I love Quest 64. The graphics are decent, but everything else that I care about is topnotch. Let's compare this to Brawl for a moment. They both have the same issue of a mediocre story that either lacks dialogue(Brawl), or anything majorly notable(Quest 64). Both are hard to figure out as well as they could be. Graphic-wise, Brawl wins hands down. Music is about equal, I'd say. Now, I hate a lot of Brawl's music because I got sick of the Main Theme remixes. A lot of the other stuff is good, but since I hear that theme the most, I just can barely enjoy Brawl itself, since the music sucks to me.(but not to everyone, of course) Next, let's look at gameplay; Quest has an excellent battle system and a very interesting level up system. It does have the problem of either too many or too few random battles, respectively. It lacks a good item system. Brawl has good gameplay, but a lot of it has problems. Lack of hitstun, the easily camping/stalling games. Now, for me, I think Quest did an overall better job in the end for the battle part. It was more than balanced enough. You never got into a beyond unfair or unwinnable fight. Brawl has a serious balance problem as is. Next, let's look at Extras and Options. Quest's options are somewhat trash. I'm just going to say it like that right now. Brawl's were pretty good, though. However, the ability to delete certain things were left out. I want to delete, say, the Characters so I can reunlock them. Oops, not an option. What the hell?

Anyway, I still think Brawl is an overall better game, despite me preferring Quest over it heavily. But they both have their points. What I'm getting at is that despite Brawl having better graphics, and let's be honest, SSB64 has some better graphics than Quest, imo(except the stage backgrounds, Quest did an awesome job at that), but it doesn't mean it was a better game because of that. It was a better game because of having better options, and arguably better music and gameplay. As for Melee, yes, better than Quest, hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom