• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Brawl's theme fell into the same trap that Seven Rings in Hand fell into.

It was played everywhere.

If it was played only in the opening, credits, main menu and maybe a battlefield theme. It would be fine. I would probably still be in love with it.

But it played over EVERY menu screen, along with trophies and stickers and half of the Stadium modes. It got old after a while.

D

Deleted member

If you're talking about an anime like theme (English or not) then no I'll pass. Smash is no animu.
How do you have an "anime-like" theme?

Anime is just animation. It can't even be used to define character designs.

The only consistency is the style of story-telling and the tropes used and followed.

Everything else has such a wide and diverse range that you really can't define or classify it under one term.

Most Japanese anime will use whatever music is either popular or fits the theme of the series This can range from pop, to rock, to even classical music, hip-hop, or jazz.

Examples:

The only thing most Japanese anime and manga have in common is that they are from Japan, and even that is faltering a bit with the rise of Korean Manwha and such which has similar influences.

In short, there is not such thing as an "anime-like" theme. It can have an anime-like style, but the theme can't be anime-like. It can be J-rock, J-pop, or what have you. But from a game made in Japan, having songs that are influenced by the native culture shouldn't be strange.

EDIT: I should also mention "anime" is actually a french word adopted by the Japanese that means animation. In fact, a lot of the styles used in Japanese animation were originally borrowed from the French.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm not saying all anime intros sound the same but it almost feels like there's a stereotype of anime intro and the one Swampasaur posted definitely felt like it. To be more specific, it felt too much of Japanese love song (with a little J-pop) and the woman singing added fuel to the fire. I'm not saying that kind of music is bad but I hear maybe more than I want of that kind and most of the characters in Smash just don't feel like they're relatable to that music (Mario for example).

D

Deleted member

I'm not saying all anime intros sound the same but it almost feels like there's a stereotype of anime intro and the one Swampasaur posted definitely felt like it. To be more specific, it felt too much of Japanese love song (with a little J-pop) and the woman singing added fuel to the fire. I'm not saying that kind of music is bad but I hear maybe more than I want of that kind and most of the characters in Smash just don't feel like they're relatable to that music (Mario for example).
I do agree that something more upbeat is more suiting for a fighting game. Something like this perhaps:

or maybe this?:

or this?

Of course, orchestrated instead of Rock. Smash has always had a more Orchestrated/Classical intro.

I still feel Melee did the best job at getting you hyped while still meshing the feeling of each series together. Brawl just tried too hard to be EPIC. It got old fast, alongside Mario's pokerface.

Still, a song styled like any of those 3 would be great for a Final Destination-like stage. In fact, this is the song I have for FD in Project M:

And MY GOD is it fitting for that stage.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I was reading the last page and I have one question. What's PTE?

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I know I posted a complete list of my music hax somewhere but I can't find it. @_@

Anyways I had the following on FD

-
-

I left in Brawl's FD song (the only version of the main theme I like) and Giga Bowser's theme because they just seemed right for FD imo.

EDIT: I'll see if I can find my entire hax list.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I was reading the last page and I have one question. What's PTE?
PTE is short for Punch Time Explosion or to be more exact "Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion". That is a game for the Nintendo 3DS (and an "XL" version for Wii, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360) that is a Super Smash Bros. plagiarizer (and I mean the mechanics and controls are exactly the same as Smash Bros. meaning if you know how to play Smash then you EXACTLY know how to play PTE) with Cartoon Network characters. It's not as polished/good/deep as the Smash series but it plays REALLY close to the real deal (I for one like it). The 3DS game is so far THE closest thing to Smash Bros. on a handheld.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
PTE is short for Punch Time Explosion or to be more exact "Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion". That is a game for the Nintendo 3DS (and an "XL" version for Wii, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360) that is a Super Smash Bros. plagiarizer (and I mean the mechanics and controls are exactly the same as Smash Bros. meaning if you know how to play Smash then you EXACTLY know how to play PTE) with Cartoon Network characters. It's not as polished/good/deep as the Smash series but it plays REALLY close to the real deal (I for one like it). The 3DS game is so far THE closest thing to Smash Bros. on a handheld.
Is that any good? I would probably buy a game like that if it was just Adventure Time.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Is that any good? I would probably buy a game like that if it was just Adventure Time.
I actually enjoy this game despite its flaws. But like Habanero is saying, there are many who dislike this game for being a poor man's Smash Bros. If you want to try this it's now bargain bin price (there was a thread here on Smashboards on this game with over 200 posts and some tried to make it competitive but sadly it's been inactive since September).

And unfortunately there is no Adventure Time in this game. Here are the shows it has:

- Captain Planet and The Planeteers
- Dexter's Laboratory
- The Powerpuff Girls
- Samurai Jack
- Codename: Kids Next Door
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
- Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
- Ben 10 series
- Chowder
- The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack
- Johnny Bravo (Playable only in XL version)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Okay, so apparently nobody has a clue what I was talking about with the stages a page ago.

D

Deleted member

Okay, so apparently nobody has a clue what I was talking about with the stages a page ago.
I don't have a lot to say about stages, but Mario_and_Sonic_Guy did mention an idea for a stage in regards to Arts Style games that could utilize the Wii-U Pad. Would dig up the old thread, but I'm too lazy to do so...

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
That would be nifty, so long as it's just a few stages that are different between versions. I still feel that the majority of the content shoud be identical between versions.
I feel the opposite, the content should be really different between the versions.
If they're the same, the 3DS version would simply become the watered down one of the two.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Here's why Sakurai Left HAL labs. It's really an eye opener.
Sakurai said:
It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming. Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally.

With times as they are, it's really difficult to make any money for yourself, and I know that I'm taking a big risk here. It's entirely possible that I could just fade right away without ever seeing the light of day again. But even if that happened, I've already decided to myself that I should keep on doing the work I can do, even if it's not all about games.

When I look across the entire game industry, I think we're at a point where we can't get away with being lazy. The game industry is in big trouble, don't you think? Not a lot of people can survive off game sales these days, and the possibilities that games have to offer are growing smaller and smaller, I think. If games were able to receive a certain amount of support-if people had fun with them, if they sold well-then we should be seeing more innovative, more positive games come out one after the other. But that's not the future I'm seeing right now. The risks are so big that misfiring with one title can flatten an entire company.

That's why you see places trying to stay alive by putting out tons of budget titles and re-releases. Every game company, no matter who they are, is desperate right now. So one possibility is that people will say 'I can't live off this anymore' and leave the game industry in droves. You see a lot of people use terms like 'console wars' and compare the whole thing to a fight for territory. You [the interviewer] and lots of other people in the game industry get termed 'Nintendo people' or 'Some other console's people' by someone you've never even met. But this is no time for that, I don't think.

If I want to keep producing games as a business, then staying at HAL would be a more stable place to do that. HAL has its advantages. I get a reasonable amount of pay, living in Yamanashi prefecture isn't that bad, the rent's cheap, and I get national insurance, you know?

But I don't care about that sort of stability. Right now I'm far more concerned about the fact that the game industry, which is built from the balance between developers, publishers, and users, is beginning to fall apart at the seams. I think it's possible for me, as a developer, to have people think about this problem through the development work I do. If I stay in one spot, then I can only communicate this to a limited number of people around the company, but if I can go out and reach more people, I think there are lots of people with far greater abilities than myself out there in the world. I mean, I'm entirely focused on games and I really can't do all that much myself, but if I can get in touch with people that have other great talents, then I think that will set off a chemical reaction and in the end we'll have a chance to make new games and better things. People with these talents might be at a loss at what games to make, and perhaps I can help make up for that in exchange for lending me their talent. This may sound idealistic, but it's really what I think.

If one game sells 40,000 copies and another one sells 20,000 copies, then one sold twice as much as another, right? But if you work for a company, this isn't reflected much in your salary. No matter if your game sells or not, you'll get money deposited in the bank every month on the month, so sometimes you see cases where developers get indifferent towards money and lose the feeling that they're really earning what they make. On the other hand, gamers take money out of their wallets and use it to buy your game. This difference is making gamers and developers drift farther and farther away from each other.

I talked with different people from around the industry about this, and it always seemed like the people who understood what gamers want the most are the guys in sales or the guys working in the stores. But isn't that messed up? It's completely messed up that the people actually making the games are the farthest away from what gamers want. I want to do something about that. I'm not saying I want to change the game industry or anything huge like that, but I just want to do something.

But coincidentally enough-we didn't arrange this or anything-some people in this same industry, people that are fairly well known as developers go, are leaving or moving around in their companies. Other things are going on besides [Yoshiki] Okamoto's new company... It may all be a coincidence, but there are lots of people who think the way things are right now is no good, and I think it's great to see these people going in a new direction and taking the rest of the industry along with them.

I don't think I can take any large-scale work for a while, so I doubt I'll suddenly become director on some grandiose project. There is a chance I'll be involved in several titles at once, but I'll need to think over the balance involved carefully. I may be seriously involved in some, but on others I may let the director and staff at the office take care of it and stick

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Brawl's Main Theme: I could go on how repetitive the theme gets, seriously. It comprising almost ALL of the original themes for Smash Bros Brawl, it was literally EVERYWHERE in the game. I can't think of any original theme aside from Taboo's Boss Theme which was anything original aside from that theme. I mean, the theme is all epic and good to me, though it gives the game ancientish history feel (so I guess it made it too epic for... game invested with comic violence and Nintendo-characters duking it out)

Compare to Melee which didn't go that far, it just makes me just go absolutely confused, considering how much variety of tunes we got from Brawl from the source games. Were they just not having ideas and/or time to make any original songs?

(Melee had Menu theme was re-used for tunes 3 times only (Menu 1 & 2, Battlefield) the intro theme only 2 times (Multiman Melee-songs) , 2 tunes were original (Trophy Tussle, Target Test) )

About Smash's new theme, I dunno if I'd be for an anime-themed song... it might be either hit or miss. Melee tried something new and it hitted the right mark for giving us the epitome of epicness which is also known as "your whole childhood in one video".

Bobadz: Big speech there. Do you guys think he has succeeded getting anywhere he had wanted?

Star: I personally like the concept. I can see 3DS-version getting more traditional-feel stages in means of presentation and so on.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Brawl's Main Theme: I could go on how repetitive the theme gets, seriously. It comprising almost ALL of the original themes for Smash Bros Brawl, it was literally EVERYWHERE in the game. I can't think of any original theme aside from Taboo's Boss Theme which was anything original aside from that theme. I mean, the theme is all epic and good to me, though it gives the game ancientish history feel (so I guess it made it too epic for... game invested with comic violence and Nintendo-characters duking it out)

Compare to Melee which didn't go that far, it just makes me just go absolutely confused, considering how much variety of tunes we got from Brawl from the source games. Were they just not having ideas and/or time to make any original songs?

(Melee had Menu theme was re-used for tunes 3 times only (Menu 1 & 2, Battlefield) the intro theme only 2 times (Multiman Melee-songs) , 2 tunes were original (Trophy Tussle, Target Test) )

About Smash's new theme, I dunno if I'd be for an anime-themed song... it might be either hit or miss. Melee tried something new and it hitted the right mark for giving us the epitome of epicness which is also known as "your whole childhood in one video".

Bobadz: Big speech there. Do you guys think he has succeeded getting anywhere he had wanted?

Star: I personally like the concept. I can see 3DS-version getting more traditional-feel stages in means of presentation and so on.
Sakurai probably liked it too much and decided to have it everywhere it could be. Really, there were really only a few places where that theme was particularly good: Final Destination, Battlefield, and the waiting room - though a soft guitar song makes the waiting a lot better in general.

I think the good thing with Melee's soundtrack was that there was a larger sense of unity in regards to all the arranged music. Diversity is fine, but there is a way to go about it without being all over the place. Like, the musical unity could be within the stages and not necessarily the entire soundtrack in general. I get the feeling Sakurai realized with Brawl that more and more is not the answer considering he was making those kinds of comments AFTER Brawl had been released.

And Melee Break the Targets was the best.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Kuma: And this is why I think Melee's soundtrack sometimes is more fun to go through than Brawl's. I know Brawl has HUUUUGE selection, but at times some songs don't sound so good as others, and so on, and at times I have hard time trying to find them belonging to a same feel of a category. So many songs.
(-l^l-);

So I'd go with your suggestion. Yoshi Island in Brawl had a lot of the whole "unity"-feel to most of it's themes appearing in the stages, meaning they didn't ever feel out of place and mostly kept the upbeat songs that went incharacter with the stage.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Personally, I liked better the sense of variety of Brawl's soundtrack, but Melee's was also a top quality soundtrack.

I liked the fact that you could select different styles of music for each stage.

I do admit that some songs really felt out of place in some stages or even the game itself.

Take the song "Forest / Nature Area" that plays on Halberd, for example. The song would be better suited for Green Greens, in my opinion.
(Although I admit that the song didn't sound that bad on Halberd and gave a feeling of hilarity.)

I also think that some song choices were questionable, with Distant Planet's case being quite jarring. Ai no Uta wasn't bad, but was it really necessary to have the (repetitive) French Version of the song? And why wouldn't "Environmental Noises" play as a looping sound on the stage, like some other stages do for ambiance sounds (such as Jungle Japes' river)?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah because at least then, you can still have a large soundtrack, but have "themes" for each stage. I can kind of picture Metroid, F-Zero, or possibly even Starfox having a dubstep track or two (Tag 2 did a good job of not making the WUBS so prominent in their soundtrack).

Still, we need Smash Tunes when it comes to music. I cannot stress this enough.

@Frostwraith
That's what we're complaining about. You had some songs that really just didn't fit or were plain questionable in general. I was very pleased to see Ai no Uta appear in the game (and it should've been Olimar's credits theme), but I was perplexed as to why the French version was never given a full version for its Brawl appearance. And yes, Environmental Noises made no sense to have as a separate track.

I will say though that some other stages in Brawl had good unity in their songs. Orpheon being a Prime stage really helped lay out what songs to use though it really could've used Dark Samus' theme. Wario Ware was mostly another really good choice, and drove it home further by making original takes on the vocal songs. I, for one, like the English version of Ashley's Song. It reminds me of this character:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah because at least then, you can still have a large soundtrack, but have "themes" for each stage. I can kind of picture Metroid, F-Zero, or possibly even Starfox having a dubstep track or two (Tag 2 did a good job of not making the WUBS so prominent in their soundtrack).

Still, we need Smash Tunes when it comes to music. I cannot stress this enough.
Some stages had this unity that both you and Horsetail mention:

Delfino Plaza had mostly upbeat, tropical and jazzy songs. Fittingly enough for a Mario stage themed after a tropical town.
Port Town Aero Dive's songs all fitted, even the non-F-Zero songs, having fast paced rock or techno songs that fitted well with the pace and futuristic design of the stage.

DLC music or even custom music would be a big plus for the game, indeed. Adding your own music would only work if you could define loop points or it would ruin the feature for me.

D

Deleted member

Take the song "Forest / Nature Area" that plays on Halberd, for example. The song would be better suited for Green Greens, in my opinion.
(Although I admit that the song didn't sound that bad on Halberd and gave a feeling of hilarity.)
Going by Brawl's data, there was a planned 2nd Kirby stage, so some of those songs on Halberd may have been intended for that stage instead.

And no, there is no hint as to what the stage is; I believe the filename was "Karby2" or something stupid like that.

D

Deleted member

Mario's always been a bit on the overboard side with stages.

In 64, it was the only series to have two stages, and in Melee it had four while most other series got two.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Going by Brawl's data, there was a planned 2nd Kirby stage, so some of those songs on Halberd may have been intended for that stage instead.

And no, there is no hint as to what the stage is; I believe the filename was "Karby2" or something stupid like that.
I didn't know that, but it is very interesting to know. Perhaps that song and maybe "Butter Buillding" were originally to be played on that stage instead, but they were all moved to the Halberd instead. Though "Forest / Nature Area" could have gone to Green Greens instead.

I always found strange why was there only one new stage for a big series like Kirby.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Personally I was fine with Brawl's main theme, didn't care for the soft guitar remixes though. Doesn't beat the Smash Bros. Main Theme that was introduced in Melee (the Smashing...Live! version makes me cry mainly tears of joy) though.

Didn't care for every song in Brawl but the variety served it well and I do think it was a major step forward (the next step of course being custom music). Melee's soundtrack was also amazing, and I still prefer some of the Melee versions of songs over the Brawl versions (Ex. Zelda & Pokemon Main Themes). I do think Brawl's ST beats Melee's ST in most regards, but personally I'd have to give the nod to Melee because I love orchestras, but I still do have Brawl's ripped tracks on my Ipod.

I believe you, but source please if possible.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
D

Deleted member

I believe you, but source please if possible.

I HAD a source that I was going to post that was basically the ripped ISO and all the data on Mediafire, but went I went today to check the filename, apparently the account that had it ripped had been suspended. :/
Gonna have to go search for another one....

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Tryphen: Oh... Thank you... I had forgotten about that one...

@Golden: Well shoot. That was the one I used too.

D

Deleted member

It was weird, though. It had some files missing, such as Toon Link's character effects data (yet it had Toon Zelda's and "Toon Sheik's").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom