• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Don't be acting like you're weirded out.

You all love it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
During the days that Smash 4 is finally revealed, at least we can look back to days like today and think, "wow, look how long that wait was..."

D

Deleted member

So, turns out I have a Wii U now. My family decided to go ahead and upgrade our entertainment system partially motivated by impending birthdays and EarthBound. I've had a little over a day to play with the systemand I must say I really enjoy the Gamepad more than I thought I would. Nintendo Land is a great title despite being a glorified tech demo mini game collection with Nintendo wrapping. Metroid Blast is by far the best attraction on the disc bar none -- I can only imagine how much better Other M would have been to stomach if it played like this. Octopuse Dance is strangely addicting, Mario Chase and Luigi'sGhostMansionare great group games, and the rest are nice in their own way except for Donkey Kong's Crash Course, that attraction is not very fun for the challenge.

The one thing I don't like is how slow the system runs switching between applications or loading games. Not sure why that is -- might have something to do with processing between the system and Gamepad -- but it's a little inefficient considering Nintendo's usually good about not having cumbersome loading times like certain other consoles. And those updates... Now I understand why so many Wii U users cannot wait for that Spring Update to arrive. I'm with them completely.

I'm really excited to see how Sakurai utilizes the Gamepad with the next game. Just having played around with the Wii U for a day has already made me care more about that aspect then I did before.
I was gonna say, there's supposed to be an impending update for the gamepad to fix loading times soon.

Also, I got to try it at a gamestore a while back. The Gamepad is ridiculously comfy.

This thread's getting locked by sunrise (PST).
DAMMIT!

Why??

Also. Oasis' Cham Drier was GOLD.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, I changed my avatar to Dilos Ekans, made by me. That manly beard is simply too awesome. :awesome:

This was the best thing to happen here.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
As time moved forward I can truly see that you guys lost some of your sanity waiting for this game. How about we take up some hobbies hmmm. Like knitting or interpretive dance.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Out of Boredom, I went ahead and bought a couple of books to read to pass my time.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
On more serious note though, I wouldn't find it suprising if this thread would get locked too soon enough if Automatic speaks the truth...

Ah blooyeh, back to Awakening again. Also happy that Chrom shares 27nth May as his birthday, it's yet another fave VG character with a same birthday date number to my collection (because mine's 27nth September:

Lip - 27nth October

Kirby - 27nth April

Chrom - 27nth May

Pokemon-series - 27nth February (Japan)

Arle Nadja - 27nth July

D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie, that roster is PERFECT for Smash Discussion on 4chan.

Saved for future uses.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
On a hopefully less
topic, let's talk about how the 3DS version of Smash 4 will affect the WiiU version.

I cannot imagine at all how they can possibly do those larger stages. They can't just zoom out as we will barely be able to see what's going on during the match. Could we see a significant change where the stages are more uniform in size or have a lower limit on stage size?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Dunno if anyone has ever mentioned this but I think something close to how Smash Bros 3D MIGHT BE like would be looking at Cartoon Network Punch-time Explosion? (-l´i-)? I mean, the game's all bad and stuff, but it's a SSB-clone on a 3DS nonetheless.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I was gonna say, there's supposed to be an impending update for the gamepad to fix loading times soon.

Also, I got to try it at a gamestore a while back. The Gamepad is ridiculously comfy.
That's what I hear. Conveniently for me, I've only had two days to deal with slow OS response, some people have been dealing with it for months.

On a hopefully less
topic, let's talk about how the 3DS version of Smash 4 will affect the WiiU version.

I cannot imagine at all how they can possibly do those larger stages. They can't just zoom out as we will barely be able to see what's going on during the match. Could we see a significant change where the stages are more uniform in size or have a lower limit on stage size?
I was thinking about the idea of alternate specific stages for each console. For example:

Wii U - Yoshi Yarn stage
3DS - Yoshi's Island 3DS stage

Wii U - Super Mario Galaxy
3DS - Super Mario Land 3D

Wii U - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
3DS - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past II

This will allow for the uniform stages to be shared between both consoles and specific stages that reflect their respective console and are better tailored for the unique aspects of each console. Not sure this really addresses what you're getting at, but it's an idea.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That's a really good idea, Star! Although I certainly hope (and believe) that something like Kid Icarus Uprising will have representation on both systems, since it has no alternatives. They could perhaps better tailor to the 3D of the 3DS with a different stage, though.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As time moved forward I can truly see that you guys lost some of your sanity waiting for this game. How about we take up some hobbies hmmm. Like knitting or interpretive dance.
How about drawing?
:troll:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I also drew my avatar but it doesn't look as good as your alls

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Lets just hope they dont water down the WiiU version and stick exclusive chars about and stuff to make the 3DS version less crummy....we been waiting to long for this...i feel like Sakurai owes us...

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Well, memory wise, you could squeeze the entire game of Brawl into a 3DS cartridge (If you're using the 8 GB cartridge) and since that the 3DS isn't all that different from the Wii, power wise, I don't see the problem of it looking like Brawl too. So I'm not too worried about quality.

Also, happy birthday to me! :3

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This will allow for the uniform stages to be shared between both consoles and specific stages that reflect their respective console and are better tailored for the unique aspects of each console. Not sure this really addresses what you're getting at, but it's an idea.
It doesn't address it. The issue I'm looking at is not representation, but whether or not I can see what the hell is going on. I saw the PTE just focuses on your character, but I don't know about that. That just seems like that'll screw you over in the long run.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It doesn't address it. The issue I'm looking at is not representation, but whether or not I can see what the hell is going on. I saw the PTE just focuses on your character, but I don't know about that. That just seems like that'll screw you over in the long run.
Hey Kuma. I've been meaning to ask you.

Who do you use it UMVC3?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Not even representation but specific stages tailored for each system to avoid some of the cross game confusion. Which is why I brought up the specific alternate stage idea. Not only do you represent the system, but you have stages (in the case of the 3DS) that work with the hardware's screen limitation. The other stages like Battlefield, Final Destination or other generic static stages can be available on both games.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The top screen could just focus on your character, and the bottom screen could have a map showing the locations of other characters or something. or hell, even 2 different views

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I have PTE for 3DS (and Wii) and it may be true that it just focuses on your character, it's not all that bad. I think you'd lose so much detail if the camera was just like a real Smash game and you might lose track of where the heck you are in the big mess of fighters (something I noticed very well when playing PlayStation All-Stars Vita at a GameStop kiosk.) but I do agree it could zoom out a little further. But at least your enemies are in a magnifying glass when they're aren't in view. 3DS XL owners probably don't need to worry as much on this issue for PTE 3DS and Smash 3DS.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What if you can transfer stages between games?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
That would be nifty, so long as it's just a few stages that are different between versions. I still feel that the majority of the content shoud be identical between versions.
I agree, but I'm talking like, four or five max. Like maybe we get an SS/ALttP2 stages on the 3DS, and on the Wii U we have a SS/OoT3D stages. So the lesser two can be transferred.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hey Kuma. I've been meaning to ask you.

Who do you use it UMVC3?
No one, no one, and no one. I played MvC3 for about a month before I quit due to its BS. I play Tekken now.

Not even representation but specific stages tailored for each system to avoid some of the cross game confusion. Which is why I brought up the specific alternate stage idea. Not only do you represent the system, but you have stages (in the case of the 3DS) that work with the hardware's screen limitation. The other stages like Battlefield, Final Destination or other generic static stages can be available on both games.
Well, that's just saying to change the theme, not the stage size.

I have PTE for 3DS (and Wii) and it may be true that it just focuses on your character, it's not all that bad. I think you'd lose so much detail if the camera was just like a real Smash game and you might lose track of where the heck you are in the big mess of fighters (something I noticed very well when playing PlayStation All-Stars Vita at a GameStop kiosk.) but I do agree it could zoom out a little further. But at least your enemies are in a magnifying glass when they're aren't in view. 3DS XL owners probably don't need to worry as much on this issue for PTE 3DS and Smash 3DS.
Wouldn't the magnifying glass make it really confusing to tell where the opponents are? Are they in the blast zone or just far away from me?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hey, if its like stage "trading" then that sounds perfect and incredibly awesome.

Static stages? Check.
Tradeable stages that switch between games? Check!

Sounds perfect to me. Do I want to play the OoT 3D stage on my Wii U or my 3DS? I decide!

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Wouldn't the magnifying glass make it really confusing to tell where the opponents are? Are they in the blast zone or just far away from me?
No not really. If they are still EXTREMELY close to you but out of screen they won't be in the magnifying glass. And the further away your opponent is from you, the smaller they will be in the magnifying glass (blast zones are where they're very hard to see in the magnifying glass) plus you can see their blast KO no matter how far they were from you. Also, PTE didn't really have any large stages, just small to medium ones.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So.... Question!

What would you guys do if Smash 4 had a main theme like this?
Oh course, it would be translated to other languages.

D

Deleted member

I would *** buckets. That ****s all over Brawl's mediocre theme.

Also, keep the Japanse singing. There is nothing worse on this planet than dubbing, regardless of what the original language is. A lot is lost in translation. Not just meaning, but a lot of the heart and soul. We live in a globalized society, people should get used to the idea that there are other cultures out there that don't speak your native tongue and make products that you like to buy.

Of course, there are good dubs out there, but still, that's not the point.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I would *** buckets. That ****s all over Brawl's mediocre theme.

Also, keep the Japanse singing. There is nothing worse on this planet than dubbing, regardless of what the original language is. A lot is lost in translation. Not just meaning, but a lot of the heart and soul. We live in a globalized society, people should get used to the idea that there are other cultures out there that don't speak your native tongue and make products that you like to buy.

Of course, there are good dubs out there, but still, that's not the point.
Well SSB4 (I'm assuming) would have the 6+1 localization again so we would get both a Japanese and English version. So everyone wins.
If you're talking about an anime like theme (English or not) then no I'll pass. Smash is no animu.
Not necessarily anime. Just something...more lighthearted and hopeful.

Brawl's theme, while amazing, felt like it tired too hard to be epic.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Brawl's theme didn't really fit imo

It didn't help that there were like 50 variations of it in like every mode so it got annoying after a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom