• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Who's Chorm?
Serious answer:
Just my nickname for Chrom, is all.

Actually answer:
Chorm is a descendant of the duncing lord Marht. Along with Chorm's daughter, Loosina, he stops Girma from dustroying the world.

Reznor

work in progress
guys lets talk about the online for Smash4

do you think we will get mics and do you think we should get mic chat
what types of online play do you want (capture the flag could be fun but will never happen)
do you want some kind of ranking system like other fighters
do you want DLC and if so when do you want nintendo to release it

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

what types of online play do you want (capture the flag could be fun but will never happen)

I'd actually prefer no mics... Especially with the verbal sewage I deal with in other online games.
I would like random matchmaking, and a GOOD matchmaking mode for when I want to play against friends.
hmm.... I'd consider ranks if done right
and... I'd LIKE DLC but only if done right.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Honestly, as a Roy supporter myself, what we mostly fall back on is Roy's massive popularity in Japan (second only to Mewtwo himself), where Sakurai's going to be looking at mostly for character ideas. That and his ease of inclusion, possession of his own unique gimmick, his veteran status, and his continued appearance in the series thanks to FE13 DLC and SMT vs. Fire Emblem. While none of these are particularly strong points in Roy's favor, Chrom fails to match up to a lot of them, especially the popularity and uniqueness fronts (both visually and moveset potential-wise).

What Chrom has over Roy however, is not to be ignored. As the most recent FE lord and as the lord from the best-selling game in the series thus far, he definitely does have some weight behind him, even if he's more expected than wanted. However, he's definitely not a guarantee either. At the same time, neither is Roy. However, both of them definitely have a decent shot at it if there are only three FE reps. Four FE reps is definitely possible, given how big the series is in Japan, and if we did get four reps, I'm positive it would be Marth, Ike, Roy AND Chrom, but it's not altogether that likely.

In the most probable way I see it, Fire Emblem reps could go one of two ways.

If Sakurai goes to the Japanese Smash fanbase to decide FE, we'll get Roy as our rep.
If Sakurai asks Intelligent Systems who to include, or specifically wants an Awakening rep due to sales, we'll get Chrom.

Seeing as how there's already an Arena Fenox stage, I personally believe the latter is going to happen. However, if and when we get DLC characters (which is pretty likely given Sakurai's comments on the matter), Roy is absolutely going to be one of the first DLC characters brought in, as he'd sell like gangbusters and would please a huge section of the fanbase, while at the same time being very simple to implement.

So overall, most of us Roy fans agree that Chrom is more likely than he is, but we argue mostly because Chrom/general FE supporters continually underestimate his actually pretty decent shot at getting in.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207

No and no.
Special modes, basically everything online should be offline too.
Sure, why not.
Yes please, preferably a week so after both launch, idk.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Definetely not.
King of the Hill, Stamina, Sudden Death Boss Battles, Other Mini-games. (Race to the Finish, Target Test etc)
If they use the titles we have here, then yes! (except for Hero and Obsessed)
Sure, not long after release, 1 month at best, 1 week at least.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
So, I have a good question I'd like some opinions on.

I personally when playing smash like to keep the game as in tact as possible, to try and play as Sakurai intended even when playing competitively (though I know he did not design the game to be competitive).

It was pointed out to me that this is a bad double standard, saying that we should play the game as Sakurai intended, but changing the game to timed stock as an example (which I do play timed stock).

I am conflicted, I realize the game needs alterations to play better competitively. However, I want to attempt to keep the game as close to its native state as possible.

How do I present the idea of trying to play the game as close to the native state as possible, without presenting such a double standard as saying we must make some changes? I realize what we do now of eliminating almost all the game is also holds its own double standards, but I fear my message will not be received or considered if I present it with double standards itself.

Is there a way to try and keep the game as in tact as possible, banning and changing as little as possible AND it still be competitive? Or a way to change some parts without creating a double standard? I need some guidance.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Face cam via the game pad screen so you can see your friend's reactions as you crush them every match.
:troll:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Yes and yes. You guys complain about trash talk. Well guess what? You can mute that.
Ranked, Player, and Practice
Like Tekken's which uses a more defined skill separator with the title system.
I wouldn't mind it. IDK, but I'd like DLC to primarily be as title updates.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Define "native standard," Capps.

Smooth Criminal

I want to keep as much in the game as possible.

Technically that would mean leaving everything the game had as intended as much as possible.

I was writing an essay about it, and this is what I had going until this was pointed out to me.

"At its core, what is the native state of Brawl? Obviously we can never 100% know as we did not design the game ourselves. However, we can make a few reasonable deductions. It seems to be about juggling between many different opponents (in whatever form) at once and coming out on top. Sometimes your opponent is a foe, sometimes a stage hazard, sometimes an object like a Waddle Dee or banana peel. In its native state, Brawl is a game about multitasking.

Is the game we ourselves created the same now? Most interactive stages are gone, items are gone, and it's 1v1."

See, I was talking about how we as players attempt to influence the game to be how WE want it instead of what it is. But then I realized I might be doing this myself by trying to keep the game as core as possible.

I now do not know what to think. If I'm doing exactly what I always complained that others did, I'm not better then who I argued against. It's a mind blower, and I'm not sure what to do now.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yes and yes. You guys complain about trash talk. Well guess what? You can mute that.
Ranked, Player, and Practice
Like Tekken's which uses a more defined skill separator with the title system.
I wouldn't mind it. IDK, but I'd like DLC to primarily be as title updates.

I hate speaking online, even worse listen to people trash talking on the other side. I always mute them.

Anyway, all I ask for online (other than obviously GOOD servers) is the feature of allowing matchmaking while you play Single Player.
Just like in SSFIV, where I can easily play Arcade mode while I wait for an opponent to appear.

---

There really needs to be a significant update this week... I'm starting to go a little crazy. Crossing my fingers for a Newcomer.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
There really needs to be a significant update this week... I'm starting to go a little crazy. Crossing my fingers for a Newcomer.
I'd like that myself, maybe at the end of the month we get a nintendo direct of some kind. Newcomer, vet, or an in depth look at the new stages that we've only seen snapshots of would please me.

zkaka3000

Smash Cadet
I think online voice chat it's a good idea. but I'm worried about people swearing especially when my cats around hes only 3 years old :/ since there would be foul language and potty humor I think having parental controls or a mute option would work best. At the very least, having voice chat between friends would be nice.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
I want to keep as much in the game as possible.

Technically that would mean leaving everything the game had as intended as much as possible.

I was writing an essay about it, and this is what I had going until this was pointed out to me.

"At its core, what is the native state of Brawl? Obviously we can never 100% know as we did not design the game ourselves. However, we can make a few reasonable deductions. It seems to be about juggling between many different opponents (in whatever form) at once and coming out on top. Sometimes your opponent is a foe, sometimes a stage hazard, sometimes an object like a Waddle Dee or banana peel. In its native state, Brawl is a game about multitasking.

Is the game we ourselves created the same now? Most interactive stages are gone, items are gone, and it's 1v1."

See, I was talking about how we as players attempt to influence the game to be how WE want it instead of what it is. But then I realized I might be doing this myself by trying to keep the game as core as possible.

I now do not know what to think. If I'm doing exactly what I always complained that others did, I'm not better then who I argued against. It's a mind blower, and I'm not sure what to do now.
Yes it is a controversial topic, but while Brawl does stay partial to what Sakurai intended it to be there are options to allow it to become more competitive. (turning items on or off) and even though stage hazards are confirmed not to have this function, so far the stages we've seen so far seem to be pretty level competitive wise. 2 vs 2 can equally as competitive, and there are still opportunities for free for all imo. Fan input IS what's shaping Smash Bros. into what its becoming, but there are factors that should never be removed so that it can remain "core". I believe that's what Sakurai is doing for Smash 4. A subtle balance. You're trying to choose a side when, honestly, you really don't need to.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
If Sakurai truly meant the game to be played in a certain way, then we wouldn't be able to influence it as much as we're able to (turning off items, disabling stages, etc). Hell, even the amount of players that we have playing at one time falls under that quandary ("is it meant to be played with two players? Three? Four?").

So, in essence, you're right. You are no better than the people that want to play no items, Fox only, Final Destination. The difference is that you're not being a prick about it and telling everyone that THIS IS THE WAY TO PLAY THE GAME when in reality we can play the game however the hell we want to play it.

Smooth Criminal

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why are you guys being so antsy about voice chat? Also realize that with different game communities comes different people. I very rarely had to deal with extensive trash talk while playing online (forums were another issue) in fighting games.

Of course, if Miiverse is any indication, we're going to have a bunch of entitled whiners, but that's where Smashboards comes in. At least then, you have people you want to play and can help each other out.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Yes it is a controversial topic, but while Brawl does stay partial to what Sakurai intended it to be there are options to allow it to become more competitive. (turning items on or off) and even though stage hazards are confirmed not to have this function, so far the stages we've seen so far seem to be pretty level competitive wise. 2 vs 2 can equally as competitive, and there are still opportunities for free for all imo. Fan input IS what's shaping Smash Bros. into what its becoming, but there are factors that should never be removed so that it can remain "core". I believe that's what Sakurai is doing for Smash 4. A subtle balance. You're trying to choose a side when, honestly, you really don't need to.
Well, I do need to pick a side, seeing as how I do not enjoy what happened in Brawl, especially stagelist wise and not having a position might let that happen again which I would like to avoid if possible as I do like the game to be as core as possible.

If Sakurai truly meant the game to be played in a certain way, then we wouldn't be able to influence it as much as we're able to (turning off items, disabling stages, etc). Hell, even the amount of players that we have playing at one time falls under that quandary ("is it meant to be played with two players? Three? Four?").

So, in essence, you're right. You are no better than the people that want to play no items, Fox only, Final Destination. The difference is that you're not being a prick about it and telling everyone that THIS IS THE WAY TO PLAY THE GAME when in reality we can play the game however the hell we want to play it.

Smooth Criminal

It is difficult, the comments he makes about PSASBR would show he believes core play would involve handling hazards. To me, he's saying us picking such static stages is not the way to play. Any comment he himself makes to me is more important then any player decision. However, he once also hinted most balancing happens on FD to start and moves on to other stages after he thinks it is good there. So is FD only correct?

Smash itself starts with every stage legal. The burden is not upon those who wish a stage to remain legal to prove so. Every time players wish to ban a stage they themselves must go and provide proof that such a stage should be banned: videos that can be watched and pier reviewed to test if there are holes in the thinking as to why a stage is broken, and detailed write ups on the mechanics of every stage would be an asset in deciding this.

Maybe what bugs me more is the process doesn't work this way, it works in reverse which isn't right. Which in a way does show at least I may have a better attitude then others. But I have to be honest and admit I'd like to see more people playing "my way". It is true that we should be able to play how we want, but I want to keep the games integrity as much as possible.

Maybe, if I can admit this but still present the logic as to how my way of thinking might be more beneficial that is the way to go. Actually, that may be it. Admitting I too hold my own standards but try to present them as to why they MIGHT be a better alternative.

It's not a problem if people want to play a certain way, the problem comes when you force someone to play your way and insult them for playing any other way.

I just grew as a person today I think, thanks everyone.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It gets better. As of November of last year, the Trembley Bros., the creators of Swat Kats are working to do a revival. If they need to do a kickstarter, I'm donating.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't know why Swat Kats suddenly got so popuar here...
... but I really appreciate that. :3 It's one of my favorite shows as a kid (and heck, it still is)
Would have loved PTE XL if it had featured them.

When playing with hack textures, I always pick T-Bone/Razor texture when playing as Fox.

--

Really hope we can play custom stages online this time.

It gets better. As of November of last year, the Trembley Bros., the creators of Swat Kats are working to do a revival. If they need to do a kickstarter, I'm donating.

LINK PLEASE!!!! O_O
I don't usually donate to anything, but for THIS? I'd gladly pay!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

I'd consider donating myself!

I'd almost find an avatar to match you all if I didn't have such a cute kind, and that it'd look weird next to my username.

(As much as I love my daughter, I need to go premium and just change my name so people don't call me Ayla or Aylas, and so people don't decide to use my child possibly to goad me as they did in the PSASBR world. Capps would suffice as a choice I bet.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom