• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super quick float-canceled aerial chaining

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
So I've been working on my Peach relentlessly and have been watching a lot of videos. Some of the faster Peach players are able to chain together float-canceled aerials really quickly (see here are the 0:35 mark) and I just can't seem to do it as quickly. Also, because of the button presses, I usually do her dair when I intend to do a nair, simply because I'm still holding down on the stick to do the instant float.

My sequence of button presses is:

- press and hold X and down at nearly the same time (X slightly before)
- let go of stick and press A
- fastfall
- repeat

Even so, I can get into a groove and pull it off consistently, but still not as quickly as I've seen.

Is this just a matter of timing practice, or is there a better sequence/finger position to pull it off quicker? (Sometimes I can hold down and just mash on A+X and it'll do it really quickly--is that what's going on?)

Samochan

Smash Master
I do not think that chaining together multiple float cancels in a row is really that practical, I've found it's fairly situational cause at low they can cc and jump and stuff, so they get away from the second fc and at higher you can't just chain em cause they fly too far away. But hey, whatever floats your boat. Turnip throw to fast fall fc'd nair to another quick fc nair to dsmash is fun though and float canceling in overall is good exercise to build up technical skill (albeit also a finger killing one, just ask my thumb joints).

Anyways, I don't think there is much wrong in your sequence of actions, but I couldn't say anything even if there was cause I just do my float cancels, I don't look at the exact sequence anymore cause it's imprinted on my muscle memory. >_>; But in order to get the best results from float canceled nair for example, you need to dash and use that momentum to make your nair move without actually pressing forward to move all the time so you can fast fall quicker. If you do dairs, you need to release the stick pressure faster, you only really need to press the stick down when you press jump and afterwards you're free to move it in other direction.

What I do is first dash with stick to either direction, then press x and move the stick down (might've neutralized it first by going center, dunno), then release the stick pressure quickly and press a at the same time and then again press the stick down for fast fall. You can't really do much beside practice it, try float canceling with dashed nairs across yoshi's story. When you can do it quickly enough, you shouldn't stop your momentum and keep movign forward nicely wit your nairs and you can float cancel 'em fast enough to pressure a shield and get away with it or dsmash afterwards.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
It really is just practice. Some people use Z while others slide from X to A, like myself. You can get a pretty good groove going on. T

he multiple FC aerials are situational, but it's definitely a good thing to practice. You never know when you'll get an opening for them. Keep up the practice and you'll get super speed in no time. Also...a lot of times it'll just happen. Once you get that first in...you might just react and get that super speed.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
im **** at this, ask raynex. LOL

If your really good at it (and I know you are) it might be useful if you explain how you do it, and perhaps how you practiced doing it.

I do imagine for practicing hitting people that doing the whole Bowser CPU handicap 9, damage ratio 0.5, your Peach handicap 1 can help you get a feel for hitting people with it. Or you can do the whole break Brinstar thing heh. But yes JFox please share your experience with this.

JFox

Smash Hero
arcnatural, have i played you before? I'm curious how u might know since i dont remember us ever being at the same tourney.

Here's my step by step method- Press and hold X/Y> tap down (don't hold down)> slide from X/Y to A> tap down to fastfall the nair.

How to practice- go into training mode. Start slow and just keep float cancel nairing without any fastfall. Don't hit an opponent yet, just do the fc nair. Now once you get to the point where you are starting the nair very quickly after you start the float, you're going to notice that it takes a while to start the next nair. Try pressing down RIGHT AFTER YOU PRESS A so that you will fastfall the nair. This is really hard and what makes FC nairs a challenge. You will notice that you are doing fc dair again by accident. Practice practice practice til you can fastfall that nair without doing dairs at all.

I am able to fc nair much faster than what is necessary, thats a good thing. It shows that I am comfortable with quick fc nairs. I recommend you get this fast as well. Here's why its not necessary though- when you hit your opponent, there is a slight amount of lag that you get from hitting someone, so you will actually have to slow down the nairs a bit. Its all timing. Go to practice and set damage ratio to .05, and handicap to 8 for bowser 1 for you. Now string your nairs to hit bowser repeatedly. If you go to fast you will end up doing jabs by accident, so make sure you get the timing down so that all you are doing is fc nair.

OK so after hours of practice you are **** at fc nair. Now its time to step it up if you are still interested. FC uair is the hardest fc to string together. However, it is situationally **** (ie dtilt, fc uair, fc uair, fc uair on heavy characters like ganon). Press and hold X/Y, tap down, hold up and slide your finger from X/Y to A, tap down to fastfall.

The difference between FC nair and FC uair is only one thing- you press up before A. Its simple but makes things significantly harder. Again, practice on bowser with handicap. I like to do FC nair til he's around 500%, than do FC uairs and juggle him til like 800%.

In summation- if you wanna be fast its gonna take practice. If you don't care, than you don't care. If you have questions, I'd be happy to answer. Maybe I'll even make a video of my peach doing FC nairs/uairs.

MisterMoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aaron_Rodgerz
I had this prob a long time ago, but believe it or not, I solved this problem by changing the way I hold my controller. I started using the claw method for the FC's only, and tho it's tough to get used to, **** it made a difference.

If you don't know what the claw method is, I'll explain. You simply use your index finger to hit the X button for the float, than your thumb is free to hit the A for nair, or hit the Cstick in any direction. Making it ALOT easier than sliding your thumb from X to A constantly.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
I use a quarter circle forward to quarter circle down motion.

From a standstill dash forward, tap jump, quarter circle down to float and immediately neutral to remain all momentum. Tap A and then mash down for the fastfall and quarter circle forward to continue the run. If you mash directly down for the fastfall and directly forward for the run, there's no need to return to neutral except for the nair for returning to a run. It's pretty easy to learn it this way and is essentially the same muscle memory for running either direction.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
chaining quick FC aerials is useful, and really not any more technically demanding than waveshining. I press Y and roll my thumb down to A. Just go into training mode and try it out slow at first. Do it with deliberation at first, and naturally it will become second nature.

I think FC Bair and FC Nair are the only ones you'll need to chain quickly. It's useful to combo floatier characters at low percent, such as here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQIG6_zRQfc

This past weekend I was able to do it against Peachs and another luigi in tournament. (Luigi was a 4 nair, slap into another nair).

Practice makes perfect.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
XIF your dash dances are ludicrous

I've been practicing this and I find that using Z has helped me immensely

darkatma

Smash Hero
chaining quick FC aerials is useful, and really not any more technically demanding than waveshining. I press Y and roll my thumb down to A. Just go into training mode and try it out slow at first. Do it with deliberation at first, and naturally it will become second nature.

I think FC Bair and FC Nair are the only ones you'll need to chain quickly. It's useful to combo floatier characters at low percent, such as here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQIG6_zRQfc

This past weekend I was able to do it against Peachs and another luigi in tournament. (Luigi was a 4 nair, slap into another nair).

Practice makes perfect.
fc nair into shield just isn't that useful though. you got shieldgrabbed by that luigi player so many times after a nair, either because he was pushed too far for another nair and you tried to run forward and nair again, or because the shielder just has the frame advantage.

I think a single FC to grab or dsmash is probably far more effective

Top Bottom