• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario Bros. Characters Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Cool, Bowser jr. above Daisy makes sense, I thought since she was in two games before bower jr., one of them a main Mario game, that she'd be above him. But bowser junior with more main-stream appearances sounds about right.

Bdblazen

Smash Cadet
To be honest, since all the spin-offs do so well, I feel like it would attract a boat-load (more) of attention towards the Smash Bros. series if they added both Daisy and Waluigi to the cast of characters. I know this isn't a Mario spin-off game, but their popularity would help make people want to play the game probably more-so than any of Paper Mario, Bowser Jr. or Geno. They are way more mainstream than those characters which is something that shouldn't be taken for granted. That or they could just add Toad. Same thing, sort of.
I totally agree. I think adding characters like Daisy, Waluigi, Toad etc. would boost the game's popularity. "Wait...Toad is in SSB4? He is my fav character in Mario Kart, I should check this game out." That goes for all the other ones too. Fans from the spin offs would just buy the game to play as their fav character.

People say that Daisy and Bowser Jr. would just be clones, but Sakurai can easily give them their own move sets. -Jr. has his paint brush, and Daisy is stronger and more athletic than Peach. So she would be more acrobatic and she probably wouldn't even be wearing her dress. Plus she wouldn't be skipping around the stage like Peach does lol.

And Sakurai can make up movesets for Toad and Waluigi too. Toad is speedy and has great strenght, so he could be using wrestling type moves and Sakurai could incorporate shrooms into his moveset. Now Waluigi is sneeky and he loves his bombs. I imagine that he would be laying traps around to take out his opponents. If Sakurai made up a moveset for Capt. Falcon, Olimar, Ice Climbers etc, he can do it for them too.

I didn't comment on Geno because I really don't understand all the hype that he receives. Wasnt he only in one Mario game ?

:phone:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
sheik93 isn't talking about main canon of the series, he's talking about mainstream in appearances and overall recognition inside and out the gaming community, of which Daisy and Waluigi are more mainstream (although I disagree with him about Bowser Jr, I think he is on par with those two). I would argue that Toad is the most mainstream out of all Mario characters still unplayable.

This is generally what I'd imagine the average non-gamer thinks of when they think of the Mario cast of characters (ignore Boo, sorry). I guess the Mario franchise is incredibly well-known anyway, so Bowser Jr. is probably pretty well-known simply because of the massive size of the franchise. I'd say though, still, that my friends who aren't well-versed in Nintendo history generally know of Waluigi and/or Daisy before they know Bowser Jr. They probably think he's the same thing as Baby Bowser or Koopa Kids or whatever.

The focus of the game is to sell as many copies as possible, even though in some ways that would cause disagreements with the crowd here, and probably adding a character such as Daisy would appeal to perhaps more girls or parents or something and some people would buy a copy of the game that wouldn't before. Characters like Waluigi are also well known by younger players and new gamers.

The Smash Bros. franchise generally sells incredibly well without having to piggyback off of the Mario series, though, so maybe I'm wrong in thinking this. It does seem like Nintendo is trying to branch out their games to wider ranges of audiences, at least with the Wii. I think it would be a good business strategy anyway to include and advertise the Mario series in this game. That's my opinion anyway.

jigglover

Smash Lord

This is generally what I'd imagine the average non-gamer thinks of when they think of the Mario cast of characters (ignore Boo, sorry). I guess the Mario franchise is incredibly well-known anyway, so Bowser Jr. is probably pretty well-known simply because of the massive size of the franchise. I'd say though, still, that my friends who aren't well-versed in Nintendo history generally know of Waluigi and/or Daisy before they know Bowser Jr. They probably think he's the same thing as Baby Bowser or Koopa Kids or whatever.

The focus of the game is to sell as many copies as possible, even though in some ways that would cause disagreements with the crowd here, and probably adding a character such as Daisy would appeal to perhaps more girls or parents or something and some people would buy a copy of the game that wouldn't before. Characters like Waluigi are also well known by younger players and new gamers.

The Smash Bros. franchise generally sells incredibly well without having to piggyback off of the Mario series, though, so maybe I'm wrong in thinking this. It does seem like Nintendo is trying to branch out their games to wider ranges of audiences, at least with the Wii. I think it would be a good business strategy anyway to include and advertise the Mario series in this game. That's my opinion anyway.
This is all extremely accurate, except for what you said about bowser junior. He's made more main canon appearances than Daisy and (obviously) Waluigi. More people get main canon games first, and then spin-offs, so Bowser junior would ceratinly appeal to newer gamers, and since he is in spin-offs as well, he is a better choice. Especially since the only spin-off they were in and bowser junior wasn't was mario party 3, since the enxt spin-offs they were all in were mario kart: double dash.

DilowcsNollsnn

Smash Rookie
I prefer Waluigi over everyone else because 1) It completes a lot of peoples dream of a Mario/Luigi/Wario/Waluigi match. 2) He's the funniest Mario character, his moves and taunts would make people go "dafuq am I fighting" and they'd love it. While yes, he isn't as important as Toad or whoever else, Waluigi has a better and more defined personality and so is more personal to a player.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
All of this is just cementing my belief that Toad is the ideal Mario newcomer.

Playable in spin-off games?
- Toad
- Bowser Jr.
- Daisy
- Waluigi
- Rosalina
- Birdo
- Paper Mario (only in Paper Mario series)
- Geno (only in Super Mario RPG)
- generic enemies

Appears in main games?
- Toad (all except Super Mario World)
- Bowser Jr. (only in Sunshine, Galaxy 1+2, NSMB DS+Wii)
- Rosalina (only in Super Mario Galaxy series)
- Daisy (only in Super Mario Land)
- Birdo (only in Super Mario Bros. 2)
- generic enemies

Playable in main games?
- Toad (only in SMB2, NSMB Wii+U)

Toad can reach out to most Mario fans since Toad has been in nearly all of the Mario games (main and spin-off) since Super Mario Bros. He's got the seniority, the star power, the mainstream appeal, and he's got the moveset potential this time. That's why I think that out of the bunch of potential Mario newcomers, Toad is the greatest common divisor of the whole Mario franchise.

jigglover

Smash Lord
All of this is just cementing my belief that Toad is the ideal Mario newcomer.

Playable in spin-off games?
- Toad
- Bowser Jr.
- Daisy
- Waluigi
- Rosalina
- Birdo
- Paper Mario (only in Paper Mario series)
- Geno (only in Super Mario RPG)
- generic enemies

Appears in main games?
- Toad (all except Super Mario World)
- Bowser Jr. (only in Sunshine, Galaxy 1+2, NSMB DS+Wii)
- Rosalina (only in Super Mario Galaxy series)
- Daisy (only in Super Mario Land)
- Birdo (only in Super Mario Bros. 2)
- generic enemies

Playable in main games?
- Toad (only in SMB2, NSMB Wii+U)

Toad can reach out to most Mario fans since Toad has been in nearly all of the Mario games (main and spin-off) since Super Mario Bros. He's got the seniority, the star power, the mainstream appeal, and he's got the moveset potential this time. That's why I think that out of the bunch of potential Mario newcomers, Toad is the greatest common divisor of the whole Mario franchise.
While toad has been in them, most have been cameo or purely just to get the model in, like in super mario 3d land they serve no purpose whatsoever. Whereas in new super mario bros. (DS) they simply ran the toad houses, and super mario 64 DS only one was in it (with the rest just kind of talking and saying random stuff, the only on of importance (kind of) was the one who ran the rec room, that's IT!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
While toad has been in them, most have been cameo or purely just to get the model in, like in super mario 3d land they serve no purpose whatsoever. Whereas in new super mario bros. (DS) they simply ran the toad houses, and super mario 64 DS only one was in it (with the rest just kind of talking and saying random stuff, the only on of importance (kind of) was the one who ran the rec room, that's IT!
It is still a whole lot more than what Waluigi, Daisy, Birdo, and Geno (especially Geno) got.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But of course the fact that he was ranked 8th most notable/recognizable video game character in Japan means nothing. :facepalm:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh please don't go down this road again...

How exactly do you know, then, that it is the same Yoshi in every game? The "generic" thing doesn't matter in the slightest...

D

Deleted member

How exactly do you know, then, that it is the same Yoshi in every game? The "generic" thing doesn't matter in the slightest...
Except that Yoshis started out generic and represent the species as a whole in Smash going by trophy description.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm confused, but it's probably my fault. Long day and all. Care to elaborate?

I'm rather tired.

D

Deleted member

Unlike Toad, who's been established as a Toad named Toad, there hasn't really been a specific Yoshi except for spin-offs and I beleive Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Smash reflects this with Yoshi's trophies.

Melee Trophy said:
Yoshis are gentle, fleet-of-foot dinosaurs that make their home on idyllic Yoshi's Island. They come in a variety of colors and have evolved an interesting trait to help increase their numbers: they can transform anything they swallow into an egg. With adhesive tongues and bottomless bellies, Yoshis have been known to eat anything.
Brawl Trophy said:
A creature that hails from Yoshi's Island. Yoshi's come in a variety of colors, and all possess gentle personalities. No matter what problems they face, they always look like they're having fun. Yoshi's use their long tongues to grab and swallow fruit and enemies. They can convert what they swallow into eggs, which they then lay. They also give Mario rides.
The Yoshi in Smash reflects the species more than he does the specific character.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
But of course the fact that he was ranked 8th most notable/recognizable video game character in Japan means nothing. :facepalm:
Can you link me to something that says this? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious about the rest of the list.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Can you link me to something that says this? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious about the rest of the list.
I assume (though I could be wrong) that Opossum was talking about this:
http://kotaku.com/5035884/and-japans-favorite-video-game-characters-are

The list is:
10. Squall
10. Yuna
10. Professor Layton
8. Toad
8. Doraemon
7. Chocobo
4. Slime
4. Snake
4. Pikachu
3. Yoshi
2. Cloud
1. Mario

Lotsa ties. Also lotsa FF characters.
It is four years old now though, keep that in mind. Although I don't know how much would be different if it was more current.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Well, you know how Ridley has his "he's too big!" issue? Yeah, the "he's generic!" issue is Toad's equivalent.

Bdblazen

Smash Cadet
Well Toad can just change his vest's color for the pallet swap. But he should have a toadsworth and maybe even a toadette swap too. Now problem solved

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Unlike Toad, who's been established as a Toad named Toad, there hasn't really been a specific Yoshi except for spin-offs and I beleive Super Mario Galaxy 2.

The Yoshi in Smash reflects the species more than he does the specific character.
Ah, okay. I see. I completely misunderstood. My mistake.

And yeah, that is the poll, albeit from four years ago.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Look, Toad wouldn't be the first generic character to be put in the game. If Toad doesn't get in because he is generic, then we shouldn't have Yoshi, ROB or any Pokemon characters return.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Look, Toad wouldn't be the first generic character to be put in the game. If Toad doesn't get in because he is generic, then we shouldn't have Yoshi, ROB or any Pokemon characters return.
ROB isn't generic. He's the actual character ROB

THE Rob created by Prof. Hector

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce

(i didn't realize this. when was that stated?)

toad being generic makes no sense as an argument against him. i don't want him in for a few reasons, but that reason seems idiotic.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm pretty sure there HAS been a specific Yoshi

There are 2 specific Yoshi's actually

Mario's main Yoshi and the one that saved him when he was a baby

Mario's main Yoshi is actually a star kid, which is something reserved for special babies that were born around the same time that includes Mario himself.

D

Deleted member

(i didn't realize this. when was that stated?)

toad being generic makes no sense as an argument against him. i don't want him in for a few reasons, but that reason seems idiotic.
In Japan, he's "Kinopio" of the "Kino" race.
He has his own name that's different from his race.

In America, "Kinos" became "Toads", and "Kinopio" became....."Toad".
So yeah, he's Toad the Toad.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
On the other hand, in Japan ALL Magikoopa are known as Kamek

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
I always thought King Boo would make a pretty good rep. Mario has his main Villian Bowser, so why can't Luigi have his? Its still within the mario Series. Theres another Luigi's Mansion coming out for the 3ds too, so he'll be the main villian in that game. Hes was a boss in Sunshine too. Behide Bowser and Bowser Jr, King Boo really is the next major villian. King Boo would be a unique way not only to rep the mario series, but the little Luigi's mansion series within the mario series haha

Im not saying hes gonna get in, he probably won't. However he gets way to over looked as a slot pick if you ask me

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
But King Boo is pretty big, and he always flies around so how would they make that work.
ehh not really, hes smaller then bowser, and if they really had to they could make him smaller. And he doesnt have to fly around he could just hover above the groud a little. And he could stay in the air like peach, that would make alot of sense

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If they can add boo to a soccer game, they could add him to smash

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What I mean is, he doesn't have legs. Let he CAN be restricted to the ground and somehow kicks the ball with something.

If generic boos can do it, King Boo can as well.

I don't support his inclusion, though if there was a Mario Smash Bros. I would, but that doesn't mean he can't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom