• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario Bros. Characters Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Bleh, everyone knows Toads are actually hive mind creatures with peach as the queen.

One toad is the same as the other

Yoshi

Smash Lord
I'd take Toad and Birdo as new rep's, even Bowser Jr. just for giggles. But Toad can have a viable move set.

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The yoshi from Yoshi's island is not the same yoshi in Super Mario World.

I'm sure that's somehow relevant to the discussion on toad

D

Deleted member

The only thing I'm going to point out in this discussion is that the Yoshi in Smash is not a specific Yoshi to begin with; every Trophy description it has talks about the species in itself.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There should totally be a super mario MMORPG where you can pick your side, being koopa troop or mushroom kingdom and your race, such as being a toad, a plumber, a koopa, etc.

It would be awesome

D

Deleted member

That's not the point I'm getting at.

The point I'm getting at is you hating on Waluigi for his name, "evil Luigi", when Wario's is the same, "evil Mario".

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
At least Wario has a life outside being a simple evil Mario. Case in point, Wario Land and WarioWare games.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I'm not hating Waluigi for his name, golden, I hate him for everything else about him except the games he's in. The only way I'll accept him is if he gets a main-stream appearance, hopefully Waluigi's mansion, the opposite of Luigi's!

D

Deleted member

It could happen any number of ways.

-Surprise role in Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, be it as the true main villain, a side villain, a recurring annoyance, or whatever.

-Finally appearing in a Wario Land title. I mean, it's mentioned that Wario has taken Waluigi on his travels at least once, given that Waluigi apparently tried taking treasure for himself, which angered Wario.

-Finally appearing in a WarioWare title.

-A new game with Wario and Waluigi as the main stars.

-A 4th Mario & Luigi RPG, which features the two tricksters not unlike 3 featured Bowser and 2 featured the Baby Bros.

-His own game, which is the least likely out of these choices at this point.

But given that Waluigi does have his share of popularity in Japan, it wouldn't be surprising to see him rise up.

Waluigi in the next Mario & Luigi would be awesome. Fighting along side Wario using warped versions of the main duos moves. Have them be a reoccurring antagonist like Popple. I think it was that Mario/Sonic Dragball Z parody that had them using their own partner moves. That'd be perfect for Waluigi: still acts as Wario's Luigi but still has a chance to show off and build on his own personality.

I also think Waluigi could handle his own puzzle game. Like Tetris with a very weird Waluigi twist. Maybe an emphasis on cheating your opponent. Give it a quirky story, the weirder the better. I think Waluigi could pull that off easily.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Thinking about it, I'd actually quite like a baby Waluigi for the Yoshi series actually. Anyway, you'd think that they would have put him in a game by now. Oh, just to add in some speculation, he apparently was planned for super mario 64 DS due to a purple rabbit being planned. Just to liven up the thread a bit. Very loose speculation though.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Actually, the more I think about Waluigi as a character, the less I begin to hate him. I mean, he still doesn't deserve a spot, and I won't buy his main-stream game if he gets one (unless he does get a baby version in a yoshi title,) but he kind of does deserve to be in ONE main-stream, see how it sells and do another one.

D

Deleted member

Waluigi pinball calling it now. :)
However i would not object to the player 2 slot in a wario land title
Isn't too farfetched. I mean, there WAS Mario Pinball Land.

So I guess change it to Waluigi's Pinball Land?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Which reminds me, I wouldn't mind a Waluigi Pinball stage complete with hot pinball action 24/7. After all, we all need a dose of waa and pinball occasionally.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
There should totally be a super mario MMORPG where you can pick your side, being koopa troop or mushroom kingdom and your race, such as being a toad, a plumber, a koopa, etc.

It would be awesome
It's quite ironic that you brought up such an idea as I was thinking about something like this not too long ago. It would be nice to see something like this for the series.

Anyways, it is quite obvious that the Mario series newcomer is in a rather competitive spot right now among the main four (Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Waluigi). There really is no clear winner; however, as each has their own advantages and disadvantages. My, it does feel like a Pokemon series debate now with the flagship series. ;)

All four have the popularity; however, it really comes down to either notability to the series if anything...

D

Deleted member

It's quite ironic that you brought up such an idea as I was thinking about something like this not too long ago. It would be nice to see something like this for the series.

Anyways, it is quite obvious that the Mario series newcomer is in a rather competitive spot right now among the main four (Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Waluigi). There really is no clear winner; however, as each has their own advantages and disadvantages. My, it does feel like a Pokemon series debate now with the flagship series. ;)

All four have the popularity; however, it really comes down to either notability to the series if anything...
A better comparison would be Fire Emblem during pre-Brawl which had people taking sides with Lyn, Ike, Hector, Micaiah, Elliwood and Sigurd. With Pokemon debates, most just expect Mewtwo and/or Zoroark to get in with everyone else toss in as a side. There won't be any major shake-ups to speculation, barring Genesect reaching Zoroark's popularity (unlikely) or 6th gen's mascot reveal.

As for "it comes down to importance", which I believe it will mostly come down to if Sakurai gets a Mario newcomer, it's hard to say there as well, thought Waluigi is not a very important character (given that he has only appeared in spin-offs) and Paper Mario is only from RPGs, so the importance discussion comes down to Toad and Bowser Jr.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
The way I view the current Mario rep popularity is in a way based on the age demographic centered to Smash Bros. which would mostly be dominated by a teenage and young male population.

In this respect, I somewhat find it easy to see why Waluigi is getting the popularity he is currently receiving now as he may seem "cooler" or more a "fighter" in terms of looks and personality than the other options to the majority of young male teens and children. In this scenario, it might be this reason as to why he is so popular even though he is rather unimportant to the series as it is possible that some of his supporters don't know about his lack of importance to the series aside from that he appears frequently in many of the popular Mario spin-off games. There's also that "four plumber" thing that a lot of people seem to bring up. (no need to attack, Waluigi fans...just my view).

On the other hand, cutesy and friendly characters like Toad sadly won't get the support of Waluigi if the current Smash fanbase is represented in this way as he may seem less "cooler" or less of a "fighter" than the other character even though he boosts more importance in the series. Toad has a large popularity and is recognizable; however, he does seem to be forgotten at times, but his roles in the series are still not to be forgotten. It's kind of like the popularity of Tails and Shadow from the Sonic series where the gentle sidekick receives less popularity than the "cooler" rival.

Bowser Jr. always did seem like a controversial character so I guess he goes either way. He has the haters and supporters, though he is still a recent character and not as well known as some of the other characters in the series. He does have a big role in the series as well. Paper Mario seems to be a character that people are jumping to in terms of an interesting character to play as (in addition to his own fans).

That's just my view of how the popularity seems to rank as of now as importance of the characters in the series is definitely not being taken into account too seriously based on the current polls. Don't take any of this seriously, but I just felt the need to post all this. :)

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
The way I view the current Mario rep popularity is in a way based on the age demographic centered to Smash Bros. which would mostly be dominated by a teenage and young male population.

In this respect, I somewhat find it easy to see why Waluigi is getting the popularity he is currently receiving now as he may seem "cooler" or more a "fighter" in terms of looks and personality than the other options to the majority of young male teens and children. In this scenario, it might be this reason as to why he is so popular even though he is rather unimportant to the series as it is possible that some of his supporters don't know about his lack of importance to the series aside from that he appears frequently in many of the popular Mario spin-off games. There's also that "four plumber" thing that a lot of people seem to bring up. (no need to attack, Waluigi fans...just my view).

On the other hand, cutesy and friendly characters like Toad sadly won't get the support of Waluigi if the current Smash fanbase is represented in this way as he may seem less "cooler" or less of a "fighter" than the other character even though he boosts more importance in the series. Toad has a large popularity and is recognizable; however, he does seem to be forgotten at times, but his roles in the series are still not to be forgotten. It's kind of like the popularity of Tails and Shadow from the Sonic series where the gentle sidekick receives less popularity than the "cooler" rival.

Bowser Jr. always did seem like a controversial character so I guess he goes either way. He has the haters and supporters, though he is still a recent character and not as well known as some of the other characters in the series. He does have a big role in the series as well. Paper Mario seems to be a character that people are jumping to in terms of an interesting character to play as (in addition to his own fans).

That's just my view of how the popularity seems to rank as of now as importance of the characters in the series is definitely not being taken into account too seriously based on the current polls. Don't take any of this seriously, but I just felt the need to post all this. :)
When it comes to supporting Mario characters, people either care too much or too little for their importance in the series.

jigglover

Smash Lord
When it comes to supporting Mario characters, people either care too much or too little for their importance in the series.
This is true. Propeller toad, I don't find this series popular among teenage boys or girls, it kind of skips the teen years and goes from popularity with 12 to 20 year olds.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's a fan service fighting game. I'm not sure why that matters

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is true. Propeller toad, I don't find this series popular among teenage boys or girls, it kind of skips the teen years and goes from popularity with 12 to 20 year olds.
I guess. I've seen a bunch of Mario-themed shirts at my work. They usually feature Mario, Luigi, Toad, Yoshi, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Wario, and various generic enemies. It's very rare to see Waluigi featured. The shirts are usually found at boys 4-7, boys 8-20, and young men.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
I guess. I've seen a bunch of Mario-themed shirts at my work. They usually feature Mario, Luigi, Toad, Yoshi, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Wario, and various generic enemies. It's very rare to see Waluigi featured. The shirts are usually found at boys 4-7, boys 8-20, and young men.
Shirts like that usually feature the "original 8" characters from Mario Kart 64 since they're the most well known.

D

Deleted member

That's a rather good analysis of why each's characters popularity is the way it is.

I don't think Waluigi is going anywhere in regards to people wanting him for Smash (doesn't hurt that I would play as him). Waluigi is always going to have a large casual following since he gets stuck into spin-offs all the time. But that is really all he has going for him at the moment. As I stated him before, make him an important character and he'll be a strong contender for a playable spot in a Smash game.

But I will say it is somewhat surprising Waluigi is as popular as he is, given the mostly negative reception he's gotten.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I already have some moves for Waluigi based on this video: http://youtu.be/Qa0xLPIr4Pk

One of his moves would involve throwing his "meal" somewhere on stage, and if you get near it you would be steadily damaged like that poison gas in the SSE. For his recovery he would use his "girlfriend" as a tether. He would be able to take his shoes off and use them as projectiles. They would have the same affect as his "meal" but with a smaller damaging area. Yes...it's perfect!

(This is a joke, obviously. I actually like Waluigi)

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
One of the many reasons to why I and many other people like Waluigi is probably the way Charles Martinet voices him, or maybe because he's a pretty funny guy.

In another note...

Waluigi confirmed for SSB4 :troll:

jigglover

Smash Lord
I still don't see why we need Waluigi, we have Wario for the Mario rival, do we really need a Luigi rival, especially if he ends up in the Luigi's mansion series like many are proposing? Mind you, it would be interesting in the story mode, but I wouldn't like it if they just put Waluigi ad Wario together as enemies. Incredibly annoying and tiring, and I might not even play those levels (if I can avoid them somehow).

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
I still don't see why we need Waluigi, we have Wario for the Mario rival, do we really need a Luigi rival, especially if he ends up in the Luigi's mansion series like many are proposing? Mind you, it would be interesting in the story mode, but I wouldn't like it if they just put Waluigi ad Wario together as enemies. Incredibly annoying and tiring, and I might not even play those levels (if I can avoid them somehow).
You can't skip over any stages in the SSE, and I'm pretty sure it'll be like that if it returns.
Also, the same "we don't need X character because of Y" thing could be applied to many newcomers.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If we aren't allowed to use the "we don't need X character because of Y" argument, then...

Waluigi = Luigi's answer to Mario's Wario, he gotta be in SSB4 (rivals)
Daisy = Luigi's answer to Mario's Peach, she gotta be in SSB4 (love interests)
Bowser Jr. = Bowser's answer to Mario's Luigi, he gotta be in SSB4 (sidekicks)
Birdo = Yoshi's answer to Mario's Peach, s/he gotta be in SSB4 (love interests)

Why do they have to be in SSB4 based on their relationships with the existing Mario characters in Smash instead of their own merits?

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
What about Toad and Paper Mario ?
Also, I never said that characters should be added because of their relationships with other characters; I only said that the argument could be applied to other characters and not that it shouldn't be.
I have my own reasons to support the characters that I do.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
To be honest, since all the spin-offs do so well, I feel like it would attract a boat-load (more) of attention towards the Smash Bros. series if they added both Daisy and Waluigi to the cast of characters. I know this isn't a Mario spin-off game, but their popularity would help make people want to play the game probably more-so than any of Paper Mario, Bowser Jr. or Geno. They are way more mainstream than those characters which is something that shouldn't be taken for granted. That or they could just add Toad. Same thing, sort of.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Anyway, Toad isn't main-game or spin-off, he's neutral, unless you go by game appearances, in which case he'd be spin-off, but so would bowser jr, so that doesn't work, anyway... The spin-offs do well because Mario's in them, but main games always have, and always will (probably) do better, that's why Waluigi is pretty much out of the running for this game. Possibly smash 6 though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Do you know what mainstream is here?

sheik93 isn't talking about main canon of the series, he's talking about mainstream in appearances and overall recognition inside and out the gaming community, of which Daisy and Waluigi are more mainstream (although I disagree with him about Bowser Jr, I think he is on par with those two). I would argue that Toad is the most mainstream out of all Mario characters still unplayable.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I got mainstream meaning wrong :embarrass::embarrass::embarrass: In which case, now that I know what main-stream is, the characters in mainstream order would be:
1) Toad
2) Daisy & Bowser junior
4) Waluigi
5) Paper Mario and...
6) Geno.

Did I get it right?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Personally I would put Bowser Jr. above Daisy, just because he appears in both spin-offs and main Mario games, but other than that, I'd probably agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom