• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario Bros. Characters Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ Mario and Sonic Guy: Did you always like Rosalina or did it start recently? For some reason I don't remember you using Rosalina on the Mario Kart Wii forums, but I could be wrong.

:phone:
I've had a positive perspective with Rosalina for a good number of years (as far back as when she was revealed to the public back in 2007), so it's not really a recent thing.

Anyway, maybe you should send me a PM or a visitor message for this type of conversation.

Veggi

Smash Champion
The competition is only between Toad, Bowser Jr, and Waluigi, IMO. I'd hate to admit Waluigi has a chance, but he does have an assist trophy, people like him a lot, and he is pretty cool. -_- He's just not important enough.

I've had a positive perspective with Rosalina for a good number of years (as far back as when she was revealed to the public back in 2007), so it's not really a recent thing.

Anyway, maybe you should send me a PM or a visitor message for this type of conversation.
I would normally, but I was on my phone and I expected an answer to be the end of the conversation.

jigglover

Smash Lord
From what I've seen (on here and elsewhere) Bowser jr. is the most popular mario character on the internet. On here he is (well debating with toad but pretty much) on gamefaqs he is single digits behind Paper Mario and Waluigi, so could very well have won with less bias surrounding the site, and bowser jr is in pretty much every roster on youtube.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I think it just proves the fact that GameFAQs has a Waluigi and Paper Mario bias. I'm surprised Bowser Jr. managed to get that many votes.

When Yoshi was originally added, he had just come off games like SMW2, Yoshi's Safari, Tetris Attack (:glare:), and Yoshi's Story, so I could see then why he would be added under his own series. However nowadays I sort of agree, it's been a while since a Yoshi-led game, and he's pretty much used as an auxiliary character in Mario games and spin-offs. That said, I doubt he'll ever switch to the main Mario series in Smash, and truthfully he doesn't really need to.

I think the best solution is for a new Yoshi game to come out. :laugh:
Maybe.

volbound1700

Smash Master
He was only in Mario Kart Wii (and possibly double dash but don't hold me to that, I don't know who else would be donkey's partner though) but he isn't in Mario kart 7, that's for sure.
@Volbound, Kamek is generally grouped in the Yoshi series, and King boo in the luigi's mansion series (some people think Luigi will get his own series so that there is more room for a mushroom rep.)
Diddy Kong is in the following Mario Sports games:

Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Golf Toadstool Tour - The first crossover he was in
Mario Superstar Baseball
Mario Super Sluggers
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Power Tennis
Mario Sports 3 on 3
Mario Strikers Charged

Diddy Kong is pretty much a stable Mario Sports character now

jigglover

Smash Lord
Yeah... I'm tired. it's half 3 in the morning here in the UK and I woke up at 2 after about an hour and a half's sleep and I can't get back to sleep. Anyway... He's also in mario tennis open, I just played it. :p

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
My Order with movesets:

Toad: Main playable character and has been around since the beginning of the series. Peach's special can be changed.
Special- Spore- Same a Peach's current Special
Side Special- Freeze Flower- Similar to Fire Flower except made of ice
Up Special- Propeller Hat- Similar to Snake's Up Special
Down Special- Mushroom Sheild- A mushroom grows infront of Toad and bounces projectiles back at user.
Final Smash- Toad Brigade. A series of Spaceships land and other members of the Toad brigade pile out running across the stage. Similiar to the Exctibiker.

Bowser Jr: PAINTBRUSH USER! NEW FIGHTING STYLE!
Special- Fire Breath- Like his Dad
Side Special- Paint Bomb- Throws a wad of paint in direction.
Up Special- Bullet Bill- Bowser Jr pulls up a bullet bill and rides it.
Down Special- Shell Shield- Bowser Jr pops back into his shell. Similar to Kirby's down special minus the damage.
Final Smash- Paint-a-Plaooza. Bowser JR swings his brush quickly sending a wave of paint at the opponent.

Daisy: She has a baby. How many other characters doesn't have a baby? And which of these characters made it into Mario Kart 7?
Special- Flower Power. Daisy pulled out a baseball bat which sprouts flower petals. Similar effect as the Lip Stick.
Side Special- Daisy hopes into a kart and drives around. Similar to Wario's special.
Up Special- Propeller Platform. Daisy rides on top of the platform you stand on when you win a party on Mario Party 9.
Down Special- Dodgeball Throw. Similar to Peach and her turnips.
Final Smash- Daisy Cruiser. The stage becomes covered with water and Daisy run over the closest person with her cruise ship.

King Boo: He's Luigi's Bowser.
Special- Lick. He paralyzes his opponent.
Side Special- Boo Throw. King Boo throws a smaller Boo at the opponent. The Boo disappears after a while.
Up Special- Disappear Trick. Boo fades into nothing and reappears second later in the direction you want him to.
Down Special- Intangibility.
Final Smash- Bad to the Bone! King Boo leaps off the stage and comes back in a possessed Dry Bones body.

Waluigi- Is After Daisy because she has a baby and he does not.
Special- Waluigi Time. Waluigi sends out a loud sound wave surrounding him. It hurts people inside of it.
Side Special- Bomb-omb Toss. Waluigi picks up a Bomb-omb and throws it. Similar to Link's bombs.
Up Special- Waluigi Spin. Waluigi does a similar thing to Wario's but he goes higher and hits less.
Down Special- Waluigi Lose. Waluigi kicks the played into the ground. Like his assist trophy.
Final Smash- Waluigi Serve. Waluigi pulls ouyt an Automatic Tennis Server which shots rapidly at his opponents.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
My Order with movesets:

Toad: Main playable character and has been around since the beginning of the series. Peach's special can be changed.
Special- Spore- Same a Peach's current Special
Side Special- Freeze Flower- Similar to Fire Flower except made of ice
Up Special- Propeller Hat- Similar to Snake's Up Special
Down Special- Mushroom Sheild- A mushroom grows infront of Toad and bounces projectiles back at user.
Final Smash- Toad Brigade. A series of Spaceships land and other members of the Toad brigade pile out running across the stage. Similiar to the Exctibiker.

Bowser Jr: PAINTBRUSH USER! NEW FIGHTING STYLE!
Special- Fire Breath- Like his Dad
Side Special- Paint Bomb- Throws a wad of paint in direction.
Up Special- Bullet Bill- Bowser Jr pulls up a bullet bill and rides it.
Down Special- Shell Shield- Bowser Jr pops back into his shell. Similar to Kirby's down special minus the damage.
Final Smash- Paint-a-Plaooza. Bowser JR swings his brush quickly sending a wave of paint at the opponent.

Daisy: She has a baby. How many other characters doesn't have a baby? And which of these characters made it into Mario Kart 7?
Special- Flower Power. Daisy pulled out a baseball bat which sprouts flower petals. Similar effect as the Lip Stick.
Side Special- Daisy hopes into a kart and drives around. Similar to Wario's special.
Up Special- Propeller Platform. Daisy rides on top of the platform you stand on when you win a party on Mario Party 9.
Down Special- Dodgeball Throw. Similar to Peach and her turnips.
Final Smash- Daisy Cruiser. The stage becomes covered with water and Daisy run over the closest person with her cruise ship.

King Boo: He's Luigi's Bowser.
Special- Lick. He paralyzes his opponent.
Side Special- Boo Throw. King Boo throws a smaller Boo at the opponent. The Boo disappears after a while.
Up Special- Disappear Trick. Boo fades into nothing and reappears second later in the direction you want him to.
Down Special- Intangibility.
Final Smash- Bad to the Bone! King Boo leaps off the stage and comes back in a possessed Dry Bones body.

Waluigi- Is After Daisy because she has a baby and he does not.
Special- Waluigi Time. Waluigi sends out a loud sound wave surrounding him. It hurts people inside of it.
Side Special- Bomb-omb Toss. Waluigi picks up a Bomb-omb and throws it. Similar to Link's bombs.
Up Special- Waluigi Spin. Waluigi does a similar thing to Wario's but he goes higher and hits less.
Down Special- Waluigi Lose. Waluigi kicks the played into the ground. Like his assist trophy.
Final Smash- Waluigi Serve. Waluigi pulls ouyt an Automatic Tennis Server which shots rapidly at his opponents.
Nice move sets.

But there's a reason why Waluigi and Wario don't have baby versions of themselves. x]

EDIT: Woah. I totally just found out that there is a baby Wario :o

volbound1700

Smash Master
London is a lot closer than any other Olympic host site but I can imagine not having tickets or the money to get them. I regret that I was only 10 when the Olympics came to Atlanta or I would have been down there.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I think I'm actually closer to Paris since that is really close to England, probably not though, Paris is 2 hours away on a ferry, and London 2 hours away in a car. So London's probably closer. Anyway, back to Mario reps...

volbound1700

Smash Master
You must be on the southeastern coast. Still it should be fairly close to London. I was thinking you were somewhere like Liverpool or York lol.

D

Deleted member

In the midst of all the recent off-topicness...

@Veggi: How is Waluigi more likely than Paper Mario? Everything that can be applied to Waluigi can also be applied to Paper Mario (and no, being an Assist Trophy doesn't help unless there was legitimate evidence that it was considered, a la Saki).

D

Deleted member

There actually is no evidence that Saki was considered. Only that Sakurai feels very fondly of the idea of him as a playable character.
To which there were two others: Waluigi and Gray Fox (translated from his Japanese page, Sakurai outright states that he wants to play as him rather than just lamenting on how he makes you want to play as him in the English page).

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
It's so odd how everyone wants to discount Waluigi just because they don't like him. You guys, he's RIDICULOUSLY popular in Japan. Just learn to accept that there's a very good chance that Waluigi is going to be the new Mario rep and get your crying out now.

D

Deleted member

It's so odd how everyone wants to discount Waluigi just because they don't like him. You guys, he's RIDICULOUSLY popular in Japan. Just learn to accept that there's a very good chance that Waluigi is going to be the new Mario rep and get your crying out now.
Waluigi isn't ridiculously popular in requests in Japan. Only on one website in Japan does he gain a large amount of requests and even then, Mewtwo and Roy beat him by a considerable margin (and they are heavily requested on more than just one website).

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi isn't ridiculously popular in requests in Japan. Only on one website in Japan does he gain a large amount of requests and even then, Mewtwo and Roy beat him by a considerable margin (and they are heavily requested on more than just one website).
SSBF, I think you're forgetting that they're Mewtwo and Roy. You can't compete against them when it comes to Smash requests.
But still, Waluigi is probably the most popular new Mario rep in Japan. Maybe Toad and Dr. Mario have around the same amount of requests as him, but I don't know.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
SSBF, I think you're forgetting that they're Mewtwo and Roy. You can't compete against them when it comes to Smash requests.
But still, Waluigi is probably the most popular new Mario rep in Japan. Maybe Toad and Dr. Mario have around the same amount of requests as him, but I don't know.
On the few Japanese sites I visited, I noticed that Waluigi and Bowser Jr. were the most requested Mario characters, with Rosalina, Daisy, and Geno having a decent amount of requests. Paper Mario and especially Toad didn't appear very often. I think the general consensus on Toad is that while he is a very popular Mario character, people either don't expect him or don't want him playable in Smash. As for Dr. Mario, he definitely got a few requests, but he was mostly requested as just a Mario alt. costume. Keep in mind I only visited a handful of sites, and I don't know their "Smash credibility" (like if they were equivalent to Smashboards, GameFAQs, IGN Boards, or Youtube comments lol), but these were the overall results I found.

As for the the popularity of Mario characters overall, they definitely weren't requested nearly as much as Mewtwo or Roy (like SSBF said), nor were they discussed or requested as much as new FE, Mother, Pokemon, 3rd Party characters, or individuals such as Shulk and Palutena, but there were more requests for Mario characters than Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Star Fox, etc. ones.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
On the few Japanese sites I visited, I noticed that Waluigi and Bowser Jr. were the most requested Mario characters, with Rosalina, Daisy, and Geno having a decent amount of requests. Paper Mario and especially Toad didn't appear very often. I think the general consensus on Toad is that while he is a very popular Mario character, people either don't expect him or don't want him playable in Smash. As for Dr. Mario, he definitely got a few requests, but he was mostly requested as just a Mario alt. costume. Keep in mind I only visited a handful of sites, and I don't know their "Smash credibility" (like if they were equivalent to Smashboards, GameFAQs, IGN Boards, or Youtube comments lol), but these were the overall results I found.

As for the the popularity of Mario characters overall, they definitely weren't requested nearly as much as Mewtwo or Roy (like SSBF said), nor were they discussed or requested as much as new FE, Mother, Pokemon, 3rd Party characters, or individuals such as Shulk and Palutena, but there were more requests for Mario characters than Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Star Fox, etc. ones.
Huh. That's pretty interesting to know.
I would actually go to other sites and other things like that to do research but, I'm too lazy to do so.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Can you give links to these sites so we can check them out ourselves?

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I'm not talking about Waluigi's popularity in relation to Smash (even though that's pretty significant, too).

I'm talking about how fans of Mario love Waluigi. There's a symmetric core to the franchise that the Japanese love. It goes:

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi.

Protagonist, Love Interest, Rival.

Call it weird if you want, but having a complete set of characters is something that's well received. Waluigi is beloved in Japan by the majority of the Mario fanbase.

Beloved.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Meh. Although I've never been a big fan of Bowser Jr., I will become his biggest fan if it means Waluigi is the only other option. By the sounds of it though Sakurai will probably just keep the Mario roster the way it is now. The MOTHER requests interest me...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Meh. Although I've never been a big fan of Bowser Jr., I will become his biggest fan if it means Waluigi is the only other option. By the sounds of it though Sakurai will probably just keep the Mario roster the way it is now. The MOTHER requests interest me...
Perhaps Porky or Claus have a bigger chance than previously thought? Assuming of course that that is common on the Japanese sites.

On Mario, I wouldn't mind Bowser Jr. I actually like him quite a bit. I just think Toad should come first if we get a Mario newcomer.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Honestly, most any Mario newcomer is a good one for me. I just think the series is so all-present in the Nintendo universe that it needs at least one more rep to properly communicate its significance.

Waluigi
Bowser Jr.
Toad
Daisy
Rosalina
Fawful
Paper Mario Character that isn't Paper Mario Himself

Any character from that list would be fine with me. Just don't go adding Birdo or Dry Bones or other characters best left as ATs.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm a fan of Mario, and I don't like Waluigi. He never does anything, and it looks like he'll never do anything except be Wario's Luigi. But with less character

I don't like Bowser Jr. either.

He seems redundant now that the Koopa Kids are back

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Perhaps Porky or Claus have a bigger chance than previously thought? Assuming of course that that is common on the Japanese sites.
Man, I'd be happy with either one. However, I have a feeling a lot of those votes might be for Kumatora.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm not talking about Waluigi's popularity in relation to Smash (even though that's pretty significant, too).

I'm talking about how fans of Mario love Waluigi. There's a symmetric core to the franchise that the Japanese love. It goes:

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi.

Protagonist, Love Interest, Rival.

Call it weird if you want, but having a complete set of characters is something that's well received. Waluigi is beloved in Japan by the majority of the Mario fanbase.

Beloved.
Could you beloved? :awesome:

No Waluigi, not you...

I'm currently thinking that Bowser Jr. and Dr.Mario is the most likey scenario. I'd be trilled for Toad, but am not seeing it unfortunately... Unless he gets a role similar to his SM2 role soon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Diddy Kong

There's the two Toads in the upcoming New Super Mario Bros. U game for the Wii U.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I don't think it will be waluigi or birdo.

Rosalina seems to have a fair chance. Maybe even toad.

I personally would love shy guy, but doubt it.

and idk about geno. not sure how to think about his chances in general.

as for paper mario, I think he'd make a sweet costume xD

D

Deleted member

I guess that what he meant is if the Toad got a new role, not some random Toads which nobody cares about.
Just warning you now pal, you're opening up a can of worms you don't want to...

Trust me, I know from experience.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oy, that was a bad time in the old thread when it was discussed. Funny that what was the new thread is now the old thread, and the old old thread is the older thread! xD

But yeah, there was a heated argument about it, so let's avoid the subject.

D

Deleted member

Just warning you now pal, you're opening up a can of worms you don't want to...

Trust me, I know from experience.
Basically anything can open a can of worm in Mario discussions.

I wouldn't worry too much, though. This isn't GameFAQs and I do have trust in the members here to not go into an endless flame war.

D

Deleted member

Basically anything can open a can of worm in Mario discussions.

I wouldn't worry too much, though. This isn't GameFAQs and I do have trust in the members here to not go into an endless flame war.
I'm talking the can of worms of daring to say anything in regards to Toad not being in NSMBW and NSMBU while two recolors were instead to Arcadenik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom