• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Super Mario 3DLand

UberMario

Smash Master
That's what I'm thinking when I see some of those shots. Doesn't the last one remind you of a combination of Whomp's Fortress and Tick-Tock Clock?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Yeah it does actually. What I was wondering though: What's that dark picture? Is he underground or in some lavaesque place?

Bowser King

Have It Your Way

It seems that its just a dark place when you look at an enlarged image. You can see clouds in the background if you look carefully.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah it does actually. What I was wondering though: What's that dark picture? Is he underground or in some lavaesque place?
I would hope it was a lavaesque place : DDD

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
The pictures look like a combination of Super Mario 64, New Super Mario Bros., and Super Mario Galaxy, which all did very well :awesome:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Looks like a combonation of 2d and 3D mario games and possibly a successor to Super Mario Bros. 3

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Well, with the tail in the title, I expect the tanooki in either leaf or costume form. it might be a ply on words, like Super Mario "3"DS. I doN,t expect a remake in 3D, but I expect some throwbacks.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
New trailer added to the OP.

It looks like a mix of SM64 and SMB3 which is an awesome idea. This will probably force me into buying a 3DS (and SSB4).

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Kinda disappointed that there wasn't any footage of Tanooki Mario flying, but it's all good. I'd like to see if they retain the Tanooki's ability to fly, and have Mario transform him into a statue too.

And if Hammer Bro Mario makes a comeback? Oh my.

John2k4

The End of an Era
UberMario they don't want you hotlinking their pictures it seems... :p

-

Really looking forward to this game. :b:

John2k4

The End of an Era
Looks like you need to save and re-upload it somewhere, since even that link is leading me to an access denied page, with a no-hotlink image. :p

It's probably showing for you because your browser has the image cached, and hasn't noticed that it changed yet.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
.....It's just not fair.

I get enough money to get Sonic Generations, Skyward Sword, and Kirby Wii, but I have to sacrifice getting a 3DS and Super Mario 3D Land for later. That was the plan, and I had no intention to swap that around unless something amazing turned up.

And then this happened.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=163208

Not fair at all!

§leepy God

Smash Master
Well, they did say they were adding more power ups, just I didn't expect the newer ones to be epic, I was wrong. O_o

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wonder why Nintendo can't make a game as epic as Mario Bros 3 in this day and age...

The first game I ever owned, and still my favorite

UberMario

Smash Master
Probably because good game design doesn't wow people these days :/
^This.

It's like the only way to wow people these days is if you have a boring gunman prancing through a dreary landscape.

☯ I completely forgot about the E-Reader levels, darn NOA for never releasing the rest of the levels. )=<
I could have sworn that I read somewhere that if you have a really high-quality printer, you can print "fan converted" NA e-Reader versions of the Japanese-only packs, but I don't know how well it works. It might be worth a try if you want to play on more of the levels.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/28228

Last week, I told you what you could expect from Super Mario 3D Land. My time with the game was very pleasant and quite frankly, I thought I was done with the game when I saw the credits roll. It turned out I was dead wrong. Super Mario 3D Land has also a slew of other features that are worth exploring. That is what we are here to discuss.

Before we do all of that though, let us talk about the StreetPass function for a brief moment. Do you remember the Secret Boxes? In these, you will find micro-challenges in which collecting as many items as possible is the goal. You will able to gather (within 10 seconds) coins, power-ups and even Star Medals. Now with the StreetPass feature, you will be able to earn additional Secret Boxes to use in your copy of the game. Once found through StreetPass, you will be able to access these bonus Secret Boxes right from the map screen in a world where you used up your turn on the original Secret Box.

Super Mario 3D Land expands of the familiar formula of Super Mario Bros. 3 and the Super Mario Galaxy games, and this time is no exception. You might remember the bonus worlds from New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Galaxy 2, but what would you say if you got even more of the gameplay you know and love? Well, that is the case here. After you save the princess, there are eight new unlockable bonus worlds, which can be opened by up one by one through Star Medals. These are almost new full-featured worlds with redux levels, time attacks and sometimes brand new content. A good example is the Propeller level filled with the 8-bit sprites from more than 25 years ago. In the redux level, you will only not see new sprites, but the stage is entirely based around shooting your way through cannons. There is also more enemy fire, with one platform filled with Bullet Bills (sometimes even with Tanooki tails). Star Coins are also harder to grasp, with more precision needed to complete certain objectives and tasks. In another bonus level I experienced, Cosmic Mario made a return. This shadow version of the plumber will follow you all around the stage and when he hits you, you lose your precious power-up.

In comparison to the normal game, these levels become intense and hard as nails. Not that the normal game doesn't become tricky towards to the end, but here they are relentless. Finishing them is one thing, but finding all the Star Medals without dying is the true way to completion. Don't worry if you can't finish one though, as you can play these in any order you like and are therefore free to skip levels. I haven’t completed every challenge level just yet, due to the fact that they are this hard. Advanced and veteran players will certainly be entertained and pleased with a game that gives you more for being a completionist.

Next to this meaty content, there is also an opportunity to unlock Mario's younger brother Luigi. As in previous games, he jumps wider and runs faster, but stopping his movements becomes slightly harder. He can be found in the first bonus world, although I can't give you more details on how to find him. Another thing I am not really allowed to talk about much is the Tanooki Statue Mario. Yes, this is conformation that he is in the game and he will be useable in the late parts of your adventure, but beyond this, you will need to find the power-up for yourself.

I want to close out with some final thoughts. Please don't misjudge the variety that Super Mario 3D Land holds as you can expect a lot from Mario's first 3D handheld adventure. I had a blast with this game, and there are just a few issues holding it back. If you are a platforming fan and want something truly unique in your 3DS library, then look out for this game coming to your part of the world this November.
Get hyped everyone, this game's got the equivalent of a Master Quest.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
What the hell, nobody is talking about this?

I'm having a lot of fun with this game so far (in World 6). Some levels are quite challenging, especially getting the Star Coins. Mario feels a little awkward and clumsy to control though.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like the fact the tanooki leaf in the first half of the game is basically a troll.

Tanooki leaves are suppose to grant you the ability to turn into stone!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
On the first stage of World 5 with all star coins so far. Really diggin' the game. Unfortunately it's just not that new pinnacle Mario game for me yet, because I love the open world style of Mario 64/Sunshine the most, and this game is sort of linear. This is most like a sequel to New Super Mario Bros. and NSMBWii than anything else, and is the perfect evolution of the "2D Gameplay" rather than an expansion on Galaxy.

I've seen a couple of worlds so far that open things up a bit, but not to the same extent. I love having multiple stars in a single stage, as it makes you look at the same stage in many different ways other than a straight path. Some "classic things" seem a little tacked on like flag poles and the timer, but w/e. I think Mario controls great and the engine in general is nice. I really wish however than there was a double and triple jump. No idea why there isn't... Also, there is no theme to the worlds. Like in Mario 3 it was general, then sand, and an underwater, and an ice. So far there is no consistent theme to worlds in Mario 3D Land.

I'm still wondering what's up with all the Tanooki things, maybe it'll be a mini story plot thing later. Literally everything has Tanooki tails, Goombas, blocks, even bullet bills and THWOMPS. I don't think I've seen a Koopa with one yet though...

The camera is incredibly automatic, and it's like really really good, but there's no way to adjust your camera angle, and sometimes (in the more open areas, sand tower level comes to mind) it can get really messed up since if it gets into a bad spot, it's impossible to move around really. The graphics are really crisp, and the option for in or out 3D is really cool.

It's looking to me to be like a solid 8.5 or so in my book. If what Sonic Storm is right above, it might push it to 9.0 area. I just can't wait for a true sequel to Mario 64 (Sunshine basically was, but without FLUDD please, it's awesome but would love to see another without him), as Galaxy also started going down the linear route (though is a damn amazing game).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
With Statue tanooki in the game, I was REALLY hoping there would be a secret hammer suit mario as well as the boomerang suit.

I'm on secret world 8-1. It requires a lot of star coins, I've collected all the coins from the 8 regular worlds already to put THAT into grasp

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
That review Sonic Storm posted is blatantly lying about some things, namely Luigi. I unlocked him last night and he really is just a palette swap of mario. There's no higher jump (Nothing really notable anyway if there's any) and doesn't have his infamous traction whatsoever. Next thing the guy is lying about ( or is just plain bad at this game ) is the so called hyped up difficulty. I only played the game for a few hours, maybe 2 or 3, and I completed the normal game with all possible star coins up to that point. This seriously has to be the most babied down Mario game I've ever played in my life.

If you unlock the Special Worlds, you'd expect SMW's Gnarly or Tubular or something like that, right? Wrong. You just get a "hard" version of every single stage in the game, which again, even isn't that hard. It's like the game went from Very Easy to Easy. Even the Boo Houses, which I've always dreaded in the past because of their gimmicks and general difficulty, are jokes. I can't remember if this has changed in other recent Mario games but the boos have hurtboxes to fireballs and tail whips, making them disappear for like a second or two.

The only time I really died in this game came from me having bad depth perception at times and miss piss easy platforms, being curious and dropping down to what I find out to be a death pit, or curiousity coming from what happens when you die a few times. And speaking of that, I was expecting a super guide like in NSMBW but I got an Invincible Tanooki Suit, that lasts for the duration of the level.

Overall, this game has been a pretty boring experience for me. Nothing from start to finish challenged me or surprised me. Alot of platform mechanisms in the game I recognized from either galaxy, sunshine, and other games. It's a solid Mario game though with pretty good controls and camera but it just isn't the type of game you can just sit here and play and have fun. Maybe just something to do when on long travel. If anyone plans to get this game, wait for a price drop of mayb $20-$25. Don't blow $40 on this like I did.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I assure you, Luigi DOES have terrible traction.

I almost died multiple times because of it. It's just not as noticeable as other games (Not sure how much worse the traction is, but it's at least noticeable if you pay attention)

If you collect all the star coins, which you HAVE to, some are very difficult and died multiple times trying to get it.

I think the Invincible tanooki suit is a lot better than super guide. You may be invincible, but you still have to work at reaching the end and you can still die. )If you die 10 times though, you get the P-Wing which warps you directly to the end of the level)

Top Bottom