• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Bomber Bros! - Bomberman for Super Smash Bros. - Assist Trophy for SSBU

Click on either option to support Bomberman!

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that SNES Classic has been announced.

The bad news is.............well, it doesn't include Super Bomberman on it.

That game is agruably one of the most baffling omissions alongside Chrono Trigger and a beat em up game.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Aside from the lack of Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3, this is the only other omission that I find odd.

Street Fighter II Turbo is included. ;)
Yeah i noticed and canged it.

....and now i realize that there's not a single beat um up (which is weird considering that was a rather prominent genre during that era) in that collection.

Then again, the SNES port of FF1 was crap, and while the sequels were better, they are not as remembered as the first one, and the other well known SNES beat em up that exist is a lincesed TMNT game and you know how difficult that would be to aquire.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
No Super Bomberman for the SNES Mini is bull****.

At least one Bomberman game deserved to be on there.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It's made even more odd by the fact that there is other Konami-owned content on there.
There's Super Castlevania IV on the SNES Mini right?

That being the only Konami title there is pretty odd. Not even Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Ganbare Goemon SNES) either.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
There's Super Castlevania IV on the SNES Mini right?

That being the only Konami title there is pretty odd. Not even Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Ganbare Goemon SNES) either.
Contra III: The Alien Wars is there, too. Capcom also had two titles, and Square-Enix is a weird case, because they've kind of got 2.5 - two of their own games, plus Super Mario RPG.

The lack of Bomberman is definitely a big miss on Konami's part, though - that'd be like Capcom skipping over an iteration of Street Fighter II, here, even though it's one of the SNES' iconic games.

D

Deleted member

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that SNES Classic has been announced.

The bad news is.............well, it doesn't include Super Bomberman on it.

That game is agruably one of the most baffling omissions alongside Chrono Trigger and a beat em up game.
I did find the lack of Super Bomberman and Chrono Trigger to be the most baffling ones.
I dunno how these games were chosen, but it's disturbing with how many games are missing.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
According to GoNintendo's article on it, you do have to purchase the new content using the in-game Gems currency, but more ways to earn that have also been added.
They're literally 10 gems each. That's like pocket change.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Hey guys, just got my own copy of R!
Still struggling to get to grips with the startup lag of bomb placement and the timing of square transitions when moving but I'm otherwise finding it decent enough.
I found that that took me a little bit of time, too. It's just different enough from all of the older games to be slightly jarring, but it's fine once you're used to it.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It's on my "to buy when I find a seller with no knowledge of its value" list. I want that game so much but just can't justify triple digits.
Guys, it's actually happened! Snowboard Kids 2 and Bomberman 64 The Second Attack will be with me in 1-3 weeks and then all I'll need to do is swap the shells to bypass region locking. So excited!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Guys, it's actually happened! Snowboard Kids 2 and Bomberman 64 The Second Attack will be with me in 1-3 weeks and then all I'll need to do is swap the shells to bypass region locking. So excited!
Sweet! :grin:

Evidently you're in an NTSC region, though, so why swap the shells at all, when you could just remove the relevant plastic from the console's cartridge slot, instead? :confused:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm PAL, they're NTSC, but regardless, it'd look more professional.
Oh goodness me, I'm so sorry - I totally forgot that you'd mentioned that in another thread. :laugh:

I thought that you were at least using an NTSC machine because shell-swapping only works between the Japanese and North American consoles, since, as with the SNES, there are only two regions for the N64, with the two NTSC versions divided only by different plastics in the cartridge-slot. PAL N64s require an import-adapter or modifications to run anything from the other region. Of course, this is irrelevant if your console is already modified. :laugh:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Wait, that's a thing? Damn americans acting like they're the whole western world and spreading misinformation!
Now I have to mod my console. That's gonna be a pain.
Honestly, for the sake of convenience, my preference is to use an NTSC console with the relevant plastics sorted out, in conjunction with an appropriate stepdown adapter for the PSU (readily available from Maplin's website, once you know what the machine in question will need). It's the most reliable route by far if you grab games from either of the NTSC regions often.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
These are my first import games for any console but the PS2 and I do not intend to import any more for the N64.

Sure, I could import a console and such but at that point I've doubled the cost of the games when I could have spent that money on upgrading my existing console. Might as well mod the hell out of it, double the RAM and have a superior machine that all of maybe one game can actually utilize (a very small number of games allocate memory by percentage and even less are likely to make proper use of the console's hardware maximum).

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
These are my first import games for any console but the PS2 and I do not intend to import any more for the N64.

Sure, I could import a console and such but at that point I've doubled the cost of the games when I could have spent that money on upgrading my existing console. Might as well mod the hell out of it, double the RAM and have a superior machine that all of maybe one game can actually utilize (a very small number of games allocate memory by percentage and even less are likely to make proper use of the console's hardware maximum).
Ahh, in that case, modification is most definitely the way to go. Good luck with it, and have fun with the games! :grin:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Thanks for your help. I'm pretty frustrated that what I've been told all these years about bypassing N64 region lock suddenly turns out not to apply to my country now that I have use for it but I'm sure that they games will be worth the hassle. They are, after all, the last sequels to my childhood favourites that I've never been able to play before.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Thanks for your help. I'm pretty frustrated that what I've been told all these years about bypassing N64 region lock suddenly turns out not to apply to my country now that I have use for it but I'm sure that they games will be worth the hassle. They are, after all, the last sequels to my childhood favourites that I've never been able to play before.
Hey, no problem. :grin: I've got a decent amount of experience with dealing with imported games, and I do know that one thing that's quite a big issue is that a lot of online discourse about retro-gaming is very US-centric.

As an aside, that's also indirectly led to some revisionist history about gaming culture in our own country, thanks to some people's first exposure to some of these things being via US-driven resources which tell a very different history to our own, and which people then assume applied worldwide, which is pretty sad, really, since British gaming history is very different and interesting in its own right.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It's finally moveset update time again! Yay!

Forward Tilt - Magnet Swipe: Based loosely on Magnet Bomber's design and special move, this attack is a fairly basic swipe with one subtle difference. Because he holds a classic blue and red horseshoe magnet during it, this move will pull any item in a direct line infront of it towards bomberman slightly.
This allows the move to combo into a Bomb Kick more easily or drag bombs into range of enemies who try to run from his attacks, as well as enabling Bomberman to grab other items without having to leave his vantage point.
It's not strong and it's not particularly quick but it has utility all the same.

And here's the full moveset, reorganised and with it in its rightful place. Another step closer to being my ideal, 100% bomb-play setup.

Jump - Hero Leap: The zero gravity style Bomberman Hero jumps which make him floaty on the way up, allowing him to still drop bombs on people without getting caught in them.

Up B - Bomber Jet: Bomberman's rocket pack appears and carries him upwards about 1.5x his own height. During this action, he can be tilted up to 25 degrees in either direction but sadly, bombs cannot be used ¹. On contact with another player, the rockets will explode for small-medium damage and knockback, not harming Bomberman but ending the move. This will also happen if he is attacked, blocking the hit but making him fall.

Forward B - Bomber Skates: Bomberman grabs a small roller skate iconned square from some hidden pocket and suddenly he has skates. They carry him forward at alarming speed, during which time he cannot stop but has his fall speed halved. He will only travel about 2 stagebuilder block lengths before the move ends but, during this time, he will pass through anything but solid objects, impervious to any obstacles below, doing small-medium damage to anyone he passes through, voiding any pitfall traps and instantly triggering any explosives with no harm to himself. Furthermore, if he collides with a foe at the very end of this motion, he will do fairly large knockback, as opposed to the regular, flinching variety. Be careful with this move though, it's easy to fall off the stage and getting hit in the head will result in the character being downed.

Neutral B - Bomb Toss: If there is a grabbable item infront of him, Bomberman will pick it up, otherwise the move will spawn a bomb for him. After a charging period, the item, whatever it may be, will be thrown in an arc and destroyed on contact. This means explosions if it's a bomb. Since it involves an item, however, the move may be stopped with a well timed grab or, more interestingly, it could potentially go infinite with two bombermen ² and a non-bomb item.
Now for the charge. While Bomberman's bombs and links are pretty much the same (maybe even interchangeable, who knows), Bomberman has the ability to pump his up. This is done by holding the button down during this special item throwing move. You see, rather than affecting the damage and knockback properties of the move itself, the charge comes in 3 stages. Un/barely charged leaves the bomb as is, merely pausing the countdown for the brief period in which Bomberman is holding it. Partially charged replaces the bomb entirely, giving him a bigger, better one (countdown reset). Greatly charged pumps it up to full strength, again, replacing the medium bomb. The new item has a P on it just because. These bomb changes affect both knockback, damage and range of the explosion. Medium bombs, if caught and used for this move, will only change when the pumped up bomb would otherwise be produced.
With each charge stage, the item trajectory will change to mimic the way bomb weight affects his throw in the games. Note that this will happen regardless of what item the white bomber is actually holding. Finally, fully charging the move will cause whatever item he has to glow red and be thrown immediately, with a distance a tiny bit further than that of the normal pumped up bomb throw but not really worth the extra wait.

Down B - Bomb Drop: Bomberman will spawn a bomb that is much like (or perhaps even the same as) Link's. If he is on the ground, he will literally lay it, otherwise he will go into a sitting pose and have it appear in his hands, only for him to drop it as he restraightens his little bomber legs. Either way, it is a quick move, with the aerial version being just a tad slower.

Dash Attack - Line Bomb: Bomberman drops from his dash into a slide kick. This doesn't detract from his body height as much as some characters (he doesn't angle as low) so it's not particularly safe and it doesn't keep characters away from him since it has no knockback and only minor damage. If you have two bombs out, the move ends here. Next, a bomb drops just behind the character's head. Don't worry, the move makes him immune to bombs and the drop will cause the move to continue a little longer. Now, once the bomb has gone just over half way to the ground, we reach the second end point. If Bomberman has two bombs out now, the move will end, though the bomb already dropped will continue to fall. Finally, we get to the full move. A second bomb will drop and, since all of these bombs will explode the instant they touch the ground, Bomberman can even spawn a third before the move ends, carry on his kick until the second hits ground.
Regardless of where the move ends, there will be a couple of frames where a perfectly spaced use can hit for actual knockback before the vulnerable standing up animation. This is unlikely to be allowed to hit by the opponent but, should it do so, Bomberman will do little damage or knockback on the first ending, a tiny bit more damage and a decent amount of knockback on the second or a larger but still pitiful amount of damage on the third, accompanied by potentially fatal knockback. This will all occur at roughly 40 degrees upward from horizontal.
Note that, as items, these bombs may be grabbed and thrown back at the character, though they will not hurt him until the vulnerable ending animation.

Up Smash - Power Upper: Quite frankly, I have no idea where this move comes from but it appears to be a moveset staple in that other fighting game you linked video of so here goes.
Bomberman drops into a slight crouch, pulling his fist back and entering a charging state where his hand will glow with some sort of energy, as well as turning bluer over time. After the charge, he will perform a powerful uppercut with a slight leap to it, though the move cannot end while he's in the air so this is only for effect. Its damage and knockback aren't bad and scale with the charge but nor are they as great as many other U smashes. This move will not kill at decent percents by itself. So, what's special about this move that makes it viable? It has a hitbox below the actual attack that will drag players and even items up into it. This both means it can be used over a ledge to edgeguard at the high percents where the knockback might be fatal and, more importantly, to fling bombs. U smash to D special to U smash, while not guaranteed to hit if your opponent has good horizontal movement, is a powerful tactic.

Forward Smash - Bomb Kick: A simple, chargeable kick with absolutely no bend to the leg at any point. Its damage is ok and its knockback is mediocre, with the angle varying based on the point of contact. These features get better with charge but are never amazing. The hitstun is ok but the end time isn't great, making its primary use the ability to interact with items. Items will receive greater knockback than characters from this move and, unlike with characters, this move cannot launch them off the stage. Charge time will effect the speed with which they travel.

Down Smash - Block: Contrary to what its name might imply, this is not a counter move. It does have defensive use but such use requires strategic planning, as you will soon see.
To start the move, Bomberman spins and, while doing so, drops to one knee, facing towards or away from the camera. As this motion nears its end, he pushes outward with both hands and blocks like those seen in his multiplayer stages come to his aid, working a lot like Olimar's pikmin do in his down smash. They are roughly the same size as his bombs but are not grabbable or left lying around. They vanish as the move ends and, while their range will depend slightly on the charge, their damage and knockback will not, since they push rather than fire enemies. The blocks may also be broken if hit, either by an item or by another player. When this happens they will not reappear if the move is used again with a time window of, oh, I don't know, 12 seconds? During the last few seconds, however, that dust puff signifying a block spawn will show as a visual effect. It may also spawn an item (~35% chance) when broken. Should it do so, a clever opponent will get first dibs on it if nearby since Bomberman has to finish the move before he can pick it up but, with clever placement of bombs, our hero can use this item spawning to his advantage, trading off part of his defence for a potential game changer.
When one or both blocks are missing, this move has a much shorter range and that nolonger scales with knockback. His body is now exposed and, while his hands do fairly large damage and knockback (charge based), they have a tiny hitbox that is often beaten out by other things. They can also shove items but, with the superior "Bomb Kick" in his arsenal, that isn't really a practical application for Bomberman.

Up Tilt - Lightning Card: Bomberman pulls a dark purple card marked with a yellow lightning bolt from his belt and swipes it upwards before charging it with electricity above his head in a pose reminiscent of that from the Jetters anime. The card is only slightly larger than Bomberman's hand and during the swipe it will hit for 2% and a tiny amount of upward knockback which won't even come close to killing at 300%. After that, it will spark 3 times, dealing 1% each but stunning for an unusually long time. No knockback on these hits though and the whole move has small hitboxes that make it somewhat unsafe.

Forward Tilt - Magnet Swipe: Based loosely on Magnet Bomber's design and special move, this attack is a fairly basic swipe with one subtle difference. Because he holds a classic blue and red horseshoe magnet during it, this move will pull any item in a direct line infront of it towards bomberman slightly.
This allows the move to combo into a Bomb Kick more easily or drag bombs into range of enemies who try to run from his attacks, as well as enabling Bomberman to grab other items without having to leave his vantage point.
It's not strong and it's not particularly quick but it has utility all the same.

Down Tilt - Remote Bomb: Bomberman, in his crouched state, quickly whips out a silver remote control, potentially hitting with it for tiny damage and flinching knockback. It has only one button on it, big and red. He pushes this and the end of the aerial electrifies, doing slightly more damage and a good bit of hitstun. These hitboxes are tiny so the move alone isn't much use. More importantly though, this causes every one of Bomberman's bombs to detonate immediately. A surprise tactic with great potential effect.

Forward Air - Fuse Lighter: Pausing his fall for a moment, Bomberman quickly performs a spin which transitions into a straight, right handed jab. This move has noticeable startup time due to him having to rotate the full 360 degrees before its hitbox comes out but makes up for this weakness with very little ending or landing lag. Sadly, this isn't the only weakness of the move, however, as the jab's hitbox is no taller than Bomberman's hand width, leaving him massively exposed for its entire duration. There is more to it than meets the eye though. Like with Luigi's super jump punch, this move has two modes and, should the punch fail to connect, a burst of flame roughly twice Bomberman's hand size will travel a further 0.4 times his height as a projectile. It will only do roughly 5% damage and minor knockback, much like the rest of the move in this form, but it makes for a much more certain projectile than any bombs. To trigger the second mode, an enemy, item or breakable object must be within the arm's range when it starts to move towards the end of the spin. In this instance, the arm itself will still do ~5% and low knockback but the fist, when fully extended, will hit for more than double, making it a potential kill move even. As you may have noticed though, this mode is not just triggered by players, it is also intended to launch items, especially bombs.

Neutral Air - Self Destruct: Bomberman quickly presses a hitherto unseen button on his belt and an explosion emanates from the centre of his hurtbox, soon reaching 1.2 times his height in radius. This move has very little startup time but a carefully spaced move could potentially still hit Bomberman during the first few frames, before the explosion has completely encased him. There is also very little after lag, which, combined with the pretty good but rarely fatal radial knockback, would make this an insanely safe move. There is just one problem. It hurts both players equally. That's right, this move will damage both players for roughly nine percent, putting Bomberman at a significant disadvantage if he misses and so reducing its use to a last ditch "get off me!" attack.

Down Air - Super Spike: Bomberman quickly brings his arms together infront of him, bent ever so slightly, so that he can perform a powerful straight downward volleyball spike. This is a move I have associated with the character for a long time, yet I don't know if it was ever even on box art.
This attack will increase Bomberman's fall speed by about half and, like Sonic's Down Air, it will not end without making contact, making it potentially fatal for the user. It has pretty poor landing lag and even worse if it doesn't connect before landing but is a powerful meteor smash with early kill potential. It will do around 18% damage but, like most of Bomberman's moveset, it is also designed to interact with his bombs, causing any item he hits to travel downward increadibly fast and tripling the damage of explosions, which will occur instantly if hit bombs connect with an enemy.
Be careful though, this move will only hit infront of the user.

Grab: Bomberman performs a rather generic sweeping hand motion to grab his foe, then lifts them upward slightly like he does his bombs when pumping them. This loosely resembles Ganondorf's end to his forward special. Smaller characters will be lifted off their feet by this move, while larger ones not, causing a bit of discrepency between how characters escape.

Pummel - Fist Pump: Sadly nothing more than a small, piston-like fist motion that deals ~2% damage per hit. Pretty generic but is symbolic of bomb pumping still.

Up Throw - Flip Kick: Bomberman throws his opponent upwards and performs a backflip to kick them a mere moments after they leave his hands. This move is his quickest throw and has next to no ending lag but that has little relevance outside of teams and free for alls. Does ~7% damage and decent knockback at a 5 degree backwards angle, killing at around 150%.

Forward Throw - Earthquaker: This time Bomberman performs his throw backhanded, chucking the foe to the ground and dropping to his non-existant knees to punch them, doing ~7% damage and summoning a small murder of crows to carry them away. the distance they travel is a set ~1.8 stagebuilder blocks forwards and ~0.7 up before dissapearing, giving this throw an unusally fixed amount of knockback that simply will not kill on non-walk off stages. As the crows go, they will peck 4 times for ~2% percent each.

Down Throw - Marine Bomb: Letting go of his enemy, Bomberman quickly places light blue bombs beneath them which equally quickly explode with water, doing around 12% damage and chucking his foe sky high in a maelstrom torrent that will kill at about 120%.

Final Smash - Danger Cannon: A large cannon rises from the bottom of the screen until the operational section's base rests just above the stage in the background. The sound it makes is that of the cannon's emergence in Super Mario 64 but, make no mistake, this is not that cannon. This cannon's appearance is styled after those in the multiplayer of various games such as Bomberman Generations. Once it has fully risen, Bomberman will hop stylishly from the stage into the turret seat, then angling it up towards the top of the screen and every bomb he has placed will go off immediately. From here, the player may control the crosshair's left/right location before pressing any button to shoot. This will launch two middle-sized bombs in rapid succession, only for them to combine at the top of their arc into a Dangerous Bomb. This is a bomb roughly 4.5 times the diameter of Bomberman's standard bombs with a skull across the front and it falls slowly indeed. On the off chance that it collides with a player, they will take medium damage and huge knockback. More importantly, though, the eye sockets of the bomb will glow when it makes contact with the stage, signalling the imminent explosion. When this happens, a pulse of fire about 1.5 Bomberman widths long and 0.8 widths wide will be sent out in all 4 directions from the middle of the bomb, trailing an aftereffect in the air and shooting out a new pulse at a right angle to the first approximately once every stagebuilder block width. Note that these new pulses will not spawn more since to do so would be unnecessary to produce the desired crosshatched pattern of a traditional Bomberman level. These pulses don't move too fast but they're faster than the bomb was and will change play across the entire stage when in effect. If a player is hit by them, they will take massive damage and medium knockback in the direction of the pulse, making sure they are lined up to be hit by it again and potentially pushing them all the way past the stage's blast zones. Once all the fire pulses have cleared the screen, the afterimage fades away and Bomberman hops back to his previous position on the stage, cannon sinking back down behind him.

Extra Note: Any one Bomberman may not have more than 2 bombs out at any one time ³. Attempting to spawn another will instead spawn a small puff of grey dust, as it does in some Bomberman games. This is not, in any way, to be considered a fart.

The bomb kick and similar would be a result of his non-special moves being used on the bomb spawned by the Bomb Drop.

¹ No, he doesn't use bombs with the jet in game, those are actually the same torpedoes he has in the Bomber Sub.
² Bomber Kirby is not a viable bomberman substitute since his lower shoulder height drastically affects the range of the move.
³ 2 because it is what Diddy is limited to with his bananas and also because, in games where he has more than one bomb to start, it is the lower limit for Bomberman's bomb capacity.

D

Deleted member

I finally have a Switch! I didn't get Super Bomberman R yet, as that game was lower priority than Zelda, but I will eventually get it! I'm just fortunate that I finally found one.

It's finally moveset update time again! Yay!

And here's the full moveset, reorganised and with it in its rightful place. Another step closer to being my ideal, 100% bomb-play setup.

Jump - Hero Leap: The zero gravity style Bomberman Hero jumps which make him floaty on the way up, allowing him to still drop bombs on people without getting caught in them.

Up B - Bomber Jet: Bomberman's rocket pack appears and carries him upwards about 1.5x his own height. During this action, he can be tilted up to 25 degrees in either direction but sadly, bombs cannot be used ¹. On contact with another player, the rockets will explode for small-medium damage and knockback, not harming Bomberman but ending the move. This will also happen if he is attacked, blocking the hit but making him fall.

Forward B - Bomber Skates: Bomberman grabs a small roller skate iconned square from some hidden pocket and suddenly he has skates. They carry him forward at alarming speed, during which time he cannot stop but has his fall speed halved. He will only travel about 2 stagebuilder block lengths before the move ends but, during this time, he will pass through anything but solid objects, impervious to any obstacles below, doing small-medium damage to anyone he passes through, voiding any pitfall traps and instantly triggering any explosives with no harm to himself. Furthermore, if he collides with a foe at the very end of this motion, he will do fairly large knockback, as opposed to the regular, flinching variety. Be careful with this move though, it's easy to fall off the stage and getting hit in the head will result in the character being downed.

Neutral B - Bomb Toss: If there is a grabbable item infront of him, Bomberman will pick it up, otherwise the move will spawn a bomb for him. After a charging period, the item, whatever it may be, will be thrown in an arc and destroyed on contact. This means explosions if it's a bomb. Since it involves an item, however, the move may be stopped with a well timed grab or, more interestingly, it could potentially go infinite with two bombermen ² and a non-bomb item.
Now for the charge. While Bomberman's bombs and links are pretty much the same (maybe even interchangeable, who knows), Bomberman has the ability to pump his up. This is done by holding the button down during this special item throwing move. You see, rather than affecting the damage and knockback properties of the move itself, the charge comes in 3 stages. Un/barely charged leaves the bomb as is, merely pausing the countdown for the brief period in which Bomberman is holding it. Partially charged replaces the bomb entirely, giving him a bigger, better one (countdown reset). Greatly charged pumps it up to full strength, again, replacing the medium bomb. The new item has a P on it just because. These bomb changes affect both knockback, damage and range of the explosion. Medium bombs, if caught and used for this move, will only change when the pumped up bomb would otherwise be produced.
With each charge stage, the item trajectory will change to mimic the way bomb weight affects his throw in the games. Note that this will happen regardless of what item the white bomber is actually holding. Finally, fully charging the move will cause whatever item he has to glow red and be thrown immediately, with a distance a tiny bit further than that of the normal pumped up bomb throw but not really worth the extra wait.

Down B - Bomb Drop: Bomberman will spawn a bomb that is much like (or perhaps even the same as) Link's. If he is on the ground, he will literally lay it, otherwise he will go into a sitting pose and have it appear in his hands, only for him to drop it as he restraightens his little bomber legs. Either way, it is a quick move, with the aerial version being just a tad slower.

Dash Attack - Line Bomb: Bomberman drops from his dash into a slide kick. This doesn't detract from his body height as much as some characters (he doesn't angle as low) so it's not particularly safe and it doesn't keep characters away from him since it has no knockback and only minor damage. If you have two bombs out, the move ends here. Next, a bomb drops just behind the character's head. Don't worry, the move makes him immune to bombs and the drop will cause the move to continue a little longer. Now, once the bomb has gone just over half way to the ground, we reach the second end point. If Bomberman has two bombs out now, the move will end, though the bomb already dropped will continue to fall. Finally, we get to the full move. A second bomb will drop and, since all of these bombs will explode the instant they touch the ground, Bomberman can even spawn a third before the move ends, carry on his kick until the second hits ground.
Regardless of where the move ends, there will be a couple of frames where a perfectly spaced use can hit for actual knockback before the vulnerable standing up animation. This is unlikely to be allowed to hit by the opponent but, should it do so, Bomberman will do little damage or knockback on the first ending, a tiny bit more damage and a decent amount of knockback on the second or a larger but still pitiful amount of damage on the third, accompanied by potentially fatal knockback. This will all occur at roughly 40 degrees upward from horizontal.
Note that, as items, these bombs may be grabbed and thrown back at the character, though they will not hurt him until the vulnerable ending animation.

Up Smash - Power Upper: Quite frankly, I have no idea where this move comes from but it appears to be a moveset staple in that other fighting game you linked video of so here goes.
Bomberman drops into a slight crouch, pulling his fist back and entering a charging state where his hand will glow with some sort of energy, as well as turning bluer over time. After the charge, he will perform a powerful uppercut with a slight leap to it, though the move cannot end while he's in the air so this is only for effect. Its damage and knockback aren't bad and scale with the charge but nor are they as great as many other U smashes. This move will not kill at decent percents by itself. So, what's special about this move that makes it viable? It has a hitbox below the actual attack that will drag players and even items up into it. This both means it can be used over a ledge to edgeguard at the high percents where the knockback might be fatal and, more importantly, to fling bombs. U smash to D special to U smash, while not guaranteed to hit if your opponent has good horizontal movement, is a powerful tactic.

Forward Smash - Bomb Kick: A simple, chargeable kick with absolutely no bend to the leg at any point. Its damage is ok and its knockback is mediocre, with the angle varying based on the point of contact. These features get better with charge but are never amazing. The hitstun is ok but the end time isn't great, making its primary use the ability to interact with items. Items will receive greater knockback than characters from this move and, unlike with characters, this move cannot launch them off the stage. Charge time will effect the speed with which they travel.

Down Smash - Block: Contrary to what its name might imply, this is not a counter move. It does have defensive use but such use requires strategic planning, as you will soon see.
To start the move, Bomberman spins and, while doing so, drops to one knee, facing towards or away from the camera. As this motion nears its end, he pushes outward with both hands and blocks like those seen in his multiplayer stages come to his aid, working a lot like Olimar's pikmin do in his down smash. They are roughly the same size as his bombs but are not grabbable or left lying around. They vanish as the move ends and, while their range will depend slightly on the charge, their damage and knockback will not, since they push rather than fire enemies. The blocks may also be broken if hit, either by an item or by another player. When this happens they will not reappear if the move is used again with a time window of, oh, I don't know, 12 seconds? During the last few seconds, however, that dust puff signifying a block spawn will show as a visual effect. It may also spawn an item (~35% chance) when broken. Should it do so, a clever opponent will get first dibs on it if nearby since Bomberman has to finish the move before he can pick it up but, with clever placement of bombs, our hero can use this item spawning to his advantage, trading off part of his defence for a potential game changer.
When one or both blocks are missing, this move has a much shorter range and that nolonger scales with knockback. His body is now exposed and, while his hands do fairly large damage and knockback (charge based), they have a tiny hitbox that is often beaten out by other things. They can also shove items but, with the superior "Bomb Kick" in his arsenal, that isn't really a practical application for Bomberman.

Up Tilt - Lightning Card: Bomberman pulls a dark purple card marked with a yellow lightning bolt from his belt and swipes it upwards before charging it with electricity above his head in a pose reminiscent of that from the Jetters anime. The card is only slightly larger than Bomberman's hand and during the swipe it will hit for 2% and a tiny amount of upward knockback which won't even come close to killing at 300%. After that, it will spark 3 times, dealing 1% each but stunning for an unusually long time. No knockback on these hits though and the whole move has small hitboxes that make it somewhat unsafe.

Down Tilt - Remote Bomb: Bomberman, in his crouched state, quickly whips out a silver remote control, potentially hitting with it for tiny damage and flinching knockback. It has only one button on it, big and red. He pushes this and the end of the aerial electrifies, doing slightly more damage and a good bit of hitstun. These hitboxes are tiny so the move alone isn't much use. More importantly though, this causes every one of Bomberman's bombs to detonate immediately. A surprise tactic with great potential effect.

Forward Air - Fuse Lighter: Pausing his fall for a moment, Bomberman quickly performs a spin which transitions into a straight, right handed jab. This move has noticeable startup time due to him having to rotate the full 360 degrees before its hitbox comes out but makes up for this weakness with very little ending or landing lag. Sadly, this isn't the only weakness of the move, however, as the jab's hitbox is no taller than Bomberman's hand width, leaving him massively exposed for its entire duration. There is more to it than meets the eye though. Like with Luigi's super jump punch, this move has two modes and, should the punch fail to connect, a burst of flame roughly twice Bomberman's hand size will travel a further 0.4 times his height as a projectile. It will only do roughly 5% damage and minor knockback, much like the rest of the move in this form, but it makes for a much more certain projectile than any bombs. To trigger the second mode, an enemy, item or breakable object must be within the arm's range when it starts to move towards the end of the spin. In this instance, the arm itself will still do ~5% and low knockback but the fist, when fully extended, will hit for more than double, making it a potential kill move even. As you may have noticed though, this mode is not just triggered by players, it is also intended to launch items, especially bombs.

Neutral Air - Self Destruct: Bomberman quickly presses a hitherto unseen button on his belt and an explosion emanates from the centre of his hurtbox, soon reaching 1.2 times his height in radius. This move has very little startup time but a carefully spaced move could potentially still hit Bomberman during the first few frames, before the explosion has completely encased him. There is also very little after lag, which, combined with the pretty good but rarely fatal radial knockback, would make this an insanely safe move. There is just one problem. It hurts both players equally. That's right, this move will damage both players for roughly nine percent, putting Bomberman at a significant disadvantage if he misses and so reducing its use to a last ditch "get off me!" attack.

Down Air - Super Spike: Bomberman quickly brings his arms together infront of him, bent ever so slightly, so that he can perform a powerful straight downward volleyball spike. This is a move I have associated with the character for a long time, yet I don't know if it was ever even on box art.
This attack will increase Bomberman's fall speed by about half and, like Sonic's Down Air, it will not end without making contact, making it potentially fatal for the user. It has pretty poor landing lag and even worse if it doesn't connect before landing but is a powerful meteor smash with early kill potential. It will do around 18% damage but, like most of Bomberman's moveset, it is also designed to interact with his bombs, causing any item he hits to travel downward increadibly fast and tripling the damage of explosions, which will occur instantly if hit bombs connect with an enemy.
Be careful though, this move will only hit infront of the user.

Grab: Bomberman performs a rather generic sweeping hand motion to grab his foe, then lifts them upward slightly like he does his bombs when pumping them. This loosely resembles Ganondorf's end to his forward special. Smaller characters will be lifted off their feet by this move, while larger ones not, causing a bit of discrepency between how characters escape.

Pummel - Fist Pump: Sadly nothing more than a small, piston-like fist motion that deals ~2% damage per hit. Pretty generic but is symbolic of bomb pumping still.

Up Throw - Flip Kick: Bomberman throws his opponent upwards and performs a backflip to kick them a mere moments after they leave his hands. This move is his quickest throw and has next to no ending lag but that has little relevance outside of teams and free for alls. Does ~7% damage and decent knockback at a 5 degree backwards angle, killing at around 150%.

Forward Throw - Earthquaker: This time Bomberman performs his throw backhanded, chucking the foe to the ground and dropping to his non-existant knees to punch them, doing ~7% damage and summoning a small murder of crows to carry them away. the distance they travel is a set ~1.8 stagebuilder blocks forwards and ~0.7 up before dissapearing, giving this throw an unusally fixed amount of knockback that simply will not kill on non-walk off stages. As the crows go, they will peck 4 times for ~2% percent each.

Down Throw - Marine Bomb: Letting go of his enemy, Bomberman quickly places light blue bombs beneath them which equally quickly explode with water, doing around 12% damage and chucking his foe sky high in a maelstrom torrent that will kill at about 120%.

Final Smash - Danger Cannon: A large cannon rises from the bottom of the screen until the operational section's base rests just above the stage in the background. The sound it makes is that of the cannon's emergence in Super Mario 64 but, make no mistake, this is not that cannon. This cannon's appearance is styled after those in the multiplayer of various games such as Bomberman Generations. Once it has fully risen, Bomberman will hop stylishly from the stage into the turret seat, then angling it up towards the top of the screen and every bomb he has placed will go off immediately. From here, the player may control the crosshair's left/right location before pressing any button to shoot. This will launch two middle-sized bombs in rapid succession, only for them to combine at the top of their arc into a Dangerous Bomb. This is a bomb roughly 4.5 times the diameter of Bomberman's standard bombs with a skull across the front and it falls slowly indeed. On the off chance that it collides with a player, they will take medium damage and huge knockback. More importantly, though, the eye sockets of the bomb will glow when it makes contact with the stage, signalling the imminent explosion. When this happens, a pulse of fire about 1.5 Bomberman widths long and 0.8 widths wide will be sent out in all 4 directions from the middle of the bomb, trailing an aftereffect in the air and shooting out a new pulse at a right angle to the first approximately once every stagebuilder block width. Note that these new pulses will not spawn more since to do so would be unnecessary to produce the desired crosshatched pattern of a traditional Bomberman level. These pulses don't move too fast but they're faster than the bomb was and will change play across the entire stage when in effect. If a player is hit by them, they will take massive damage and medium knockback in the direction of the pulse, making sure they are lined up to be hit by it again and potentially pushing them all the way past the stage's blast zones. Once all the fire pulses have cleared the screen, the afterimage fades away and Bomberman hops back to his previous position on the stage, cannon sinking back down behind him.

Extra Note: Any one Bomberman may not have more than 2 bombs out at any one time ³. Attempting to spawn another will instead spawn a small puff of grey dust, as it does in some Bomberman games. This is not, in any way, to be considered a fart.

The bomb kick and similar would be a result of his non-special moves being used on the bomb spawned by the Bomb Drop.

¹ No, he doesn't use bombs with the jet in game, those are actually the same torpedoes he has in the Bomber Sub.
² Bomber Kirby is not a viable bomberman substitute since his lower shoulder height drastically affects the range of the move.
³ 2 because it is what Diddy is limited to with his bananas and also because, in games where he has more than one bomb to start, it is the lower limit for Bomberman's bomb capacity.
I updated your moveset in the OP!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Yay!

Super Bomberman R is very much classic Bomberman gameplay and, while the level design is pretty good, it's not too long and becomes hella grindy if you want to unlock things. There are some pretty cool multiplayer level designs to unlock, though, and the addition of special abilities to the non-default characters is nice, if a tad unbalanced.

My one real gripe with the game is that the controls are too slippery. Way too easy to go a step too far and end up trapped.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
My one real gripe with the game is that the controls are too slippery. Way too easy to go a step too far and end up trapped.
This is why I favour the directional-buttons, rather than the analogue stick, for Super Bomberman R - they're more precise.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Interesting. I will try that but I'm not generally a fan of button based movement.
It's worth a go. Back when the game launched, the controls handled much worse. I mean, they weren't bad, but they were a bit odd compared to past Bomberman games, and the analogue stick was completely unusable due to the imprecision - Bomberman and his siblings would be juddering all over the place. Subsequent patches tweaked this, and brought the analogue movement more in-line with the buttons, but I still think that the digital controls have the edge for this game.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I wonder which one of these characters will blacklist me and prevent me from getting a job anywhere else.

Top Bottom