• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super armor frames on up B?

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
So I'm messing around with a local friend of mine, playing some random characters. We end up as my Diddy vs. his Pikachu on Smashville and start talking about turn around specials in the air. I showed him how to do it and he hit me with a Thunder Jolt while I was charging my barrels, about to release. I took the damage and just shot up to the ledge. I have a replay I can send to someone (no recording but I can give you the .bin), I'm not really sure what this was. I'd reckon it's super or heavy armor.

TreK

Is "that guy"
around 5 if I recall
but afaik that only works if the hitbox has no side effect (trip, fire, stun, ...)

ADHD

Smash Hero
So I'm messing around with a local friend of mine, playing some random characters. We end up as my Diddy vs. his Pikachu on Smashville and start talking about turn around specials in the air. I showed him how to do it and he hit me with a Thunder Jolt while I was charging my barrels, about to release. I took the damage and just shot up to the ledge. I have a replay I can send to someone (no recording but I can give you the .bin), I'm not really sure what this was. I'd reckon it's super or heavy armor.
Hey you :p Get out of our boards.

Diddy's barrels are not deployed by pikachu's t-jolt mid-air, but they are on the ground (I don't know why). Also, falco's lasers on the ground will do the same; mid-air, maybe. However, if you launch your barrels on ground immediately before the laser hits you, it will deploy and become a projectile. Idk, barrels are glitchy.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
There is NO super armor on Diddy's Up-B at all; I can assure you of this because I've seen the move in PSA. What you might be talking about is the fact that if you're hit while charging barrels, the barrels will fly off and you're sent into a "I lost my barrels!" animation instead of taking regular knockback. When Brawl was young, NinjaLink posted a tricks and tips thread where he showed that you can use this to avoid getting wall spiked; it's in the Kongpendium in fact.

ADHD: I play against my friend's Pikachu a lot, and I could have sworn aerial T-Jolts knocked me out of my barrels.

Also, you could test what % knocks you out of barrels pretty easily by seeing when a charged Peanut will do it (again, no Wii over here to check... Though I may find something in PSA now that I think about it. I'll go look).

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I think that when you charge your barrels(at least on the ground), they can only take certain amount of damage before they blow up or start flying on their own but if you hit diddy kong, Diddy will get knocked out of your barrels instantly. Maybe people confuse the disjointed hitbox of the barrel for super or heavy armor.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Ingulit, charging barrels offstage, charging barrels onstage, and lauching barrels are three different animations with different properties.

The aerial charging barrel is more solid than the ground charging barrel, which is more solid than the launched barrels.

In example, if you wanna recover against ICs that are spamming ice blocks, you should charge through an ice block and fly to the ledge before the second ice block comes out because if it does, you lose a stock.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I tried to test this once and here were my results (this was looong ago though):

"Diddy has heavy armor in his upB while charging. I think Diddy can take 3 % damage attacks (doesn't matter how often you hit him), but everything that does more than 3 % (including decimals, so 3.001 will also hit him out) will hit him out of it =/

Charizards flamethrower will not hit Diddy out of his upB when Diddy starts at 0 %. After Diddy has got enough damage he will get hit out of it though. I think it's about 65 %... but only if he's near enough. If he's far enough away from Charizard he won't get hit out of it...

He will never get hit out of upB from Falcos lasers though, not even at 100+ %. Strange."

Player-1

Smash Legend
ADHD showed me a couple of months ago that SoPo's side-b doesn't hit diddy out of his barrels some tiem, I think I've been hit out of it before, but I've used it also where the barrels don't deploy

Top Bottom