• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Hey guys, I recently been playing Dark Dawn on the DS and ngl, I think it's underrated. I agree aspects like the difficulty and points of no return are weak but I've been pleasantly surprised playing through this (no spoilers, first playthrough 10 hours in).

How would you guys feel if Matthew was added as DLC? For those of you not a fan, would you feel less salty if it was to promote a Golden Sun 4?
I would choose Matthew first only if he's really different from Isaac.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I would choose Matthew first only if he's really different from Isaac.
Yeah, if Matthew ended being the same as Isaac then there is no excuse why they couldn't be alts of each other. I could almost say the same about Felix, we could get 3 characters a la Hero.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Matthew or Isaac, I hope you guys stay positive and keep the Isaac support going. In my opinion you're the classiest of the big Smash fan supporters by a longshot, I'll never forget the optimism and good sportsman-ship you guys had in reaction to the assist trophy and mii costume. No toxicity, just understandable disappointment followed immediately by hope for the future. And this infectious movement has got me well into the series.

If Springman gets the upgrade, I'd say Isaac has a strong shot. Waluigi may have loud support but I think having Waluigi music and stage would feel redundant compared with a Golden Sun stage and bulking up the current 2 tracks in game. It's surprising to see such a small amount of tracks considering the spirits, assist trophy and mii costume otherwise being a fair amount of content for an unrepped series.

Who knows. Keep it up though guys.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Eh, I really wouldn't want Matthew. It just wouldn't be the same.

If Isaac was an alt that would make it very nice still but it would still be kind of a baffling idea, and not seeing Isaac on the banner would be disappointing.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Eh, I really wouldn't want Matthew. It just wouldn't be the same.

If Isaac was an alt that would make it very nice still but it would still be kind of a baffling idea, and not seeing Isaac on the banner would be disappointing.
To go along with the banner thing: I really hope the rest of the Vol. 2 fighters get CG trailers like Hero and Banjo. It'd be really said to see Isaac finally join Smash but not get the hype, beautiful-looking CG trailer he deserves.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
To go along with the banner thing: I really hope the rest of the Vol. 2 fighters get CG trailers like Hero and Banjo. It'd be really said to see Isaac finally join Smash but not get the hype, beautiful-looking CG trailer he deserves.
I agree, it would be pretty upsetting if this is a Smash 4-DLC type trailer, those were lame as hell.

Im going to be really dissapointed if Joker gets 2 ****ing trailers with their own artstyle while Fighter Pass 2 gets gameplay only. I don't care if they are NPC promotions, they deserve the golden treatment.

ZelDan

Smash Master
To be honest, Isaac's hypothetical trailer being CGI or not is the least of my issues when it comes to how he's handled. Cloud and Bayonetta didn't get CGI trailers and I still found them being revealed hype as hell.

Obviously it would be nicer if it was CGI, but I won't be upset if he doesn't get one, assuming in this situation all other FP2 characters don't get one either.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
To be honest, Isaac's hypothetical trailer being CGI or not is the least of my issues when it comes to how he's handled. Cloud and Bayonetta didn't get CGI trailers and I still found them being revealed hype as hell.

Obviously it would be nicer if it was CGI, but I won't be upset if he doesn't get one, assuming in this situation all other FP2 characters don't get one either.
Yeah in the grand scheme of things it's not all that important but I'd like it if it was. I enjoy going to watch the trailers (especially the Nintendo NY reactions) and I'd enjoy it if Isaac's trailer was on par with someone like Ridley's or Banjo's.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I was gonna ask about ideas for low-budget DLC trailers for Isaac sometime earlier

I'm sure people here have plenty of ideas

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah in the grand scheme of things it's not all that important but I'd like it if it was. I enjoy going to watch the trailers (especially the Nintendo NY reactions) and I'd enjoy it if Isaac's trailer was on par with someone like Ridley's or Banjo's.
Hmm now that I think about it one thing that could be just as cool, if not maybe even cooler, is if Isaac got an animated trailer. You know, something like Palutena's from Smash 4.

I don't think they'll go in that direction with any character but it'd be awesome.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
My ideal low-budget reveal is pretty simple: make it a segue from a Golden Sun remake trailer. Why waste the extra money for CGI in that case? Just say something like "We have one more surprise for Golden Sun fans," cue the iconic Smash logo cut-in, have some cute in-game clip of playable Isaac appearing after his AT, then the formal reveal card and gameplay montage. I'm pretty sure I'd die on the spot.

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Hmm now that I think about it one thing that could be just as cool, if not maybe even cooler, is if Isaac got an animated trailer. You know, something like Palutena's from Smash 4.

I don't think they'll go in that direction with any character but it'd be awesome.
I'd be 100% down for an anime trailer. A Golden Sun anime is the long-shot dream!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
My ideal low-budget reveal is pretty simple: make it a segue from a Golden Sun remake trailer.
This 100%. They could do something either using the new game/remake's assets and tie it in kinda like Isabelle's trailer or maybe just an animated segment extra at the end of the game's actual trailer. There are multiple ways they could kill 2 birds with one stone.

I'd be 100% down for an anime trailer. A Golden Sun anime is the long-shot dream!
I will definitely take something similar to Link's awakening anime trailer's art style!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm honestly in the camp that doesn't care whether or not Isaac get's a CGI as long as he is represented well in his moveset and his appearance.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
A CGI or animated trailer would be rather dope not gonna lie.
But even if they go for something simpler, as long as we get a hyped up reveal I'm good.

But th ARMS one was rather basic, the character hasn't been revealed yet, sure, but the way they announced it was very....blunt ? I guess they didn't have enough time.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
A CGI or animated trailer would be rather dope not gonna lie.
But even if they go for something simpler, as long as we get a hyped up reveal I'm good.

But th ARMS one was rather basic, the character hasn't been revealed yet, sure, but the way they announced it was very....blunt ? I guess they didn't have enough time.
I wouldn't be surprised if we still got a reveal trailer for the ARMS character later on. They may have felt some pressure to say something last Direct due to coronavirus messing up the intended development/reveal schedule, and given they have yet to say what specific character it will be, that is ripe for some sort of trailer of characters fighting for the honor or whatever else.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Terry had half of a reveal trailer when he was first announced, so the same could happen to the ARMS rep.

I'm also curious. Isaac's grab will very likely be Catch. How would his zair work? Will the hand damage opponents?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Terry had half of a reveal trailer when he was first announced, so the same could happen to the ARMS rep.
Except that would mean the ARMS rep would have three trailers, and it's probably too late between now and June for that.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace

I'm also curious. Isaac's grab will very likely be Catch. How would his zair work? Will the hand damage opponents?
I doubt he'd have a zair. Pac-Man doesn't even though his grab is kinda like a tether, and neither do Villager/Isabelle. Unfortunately Isaac's grab being Catch most likely means it'll be large but slow, not a good combination if you want a good grab, especially in Ultimate.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I think using his grab in the air on a ledge would be work as grip from Dark Dawn where the psynergy hand would help pull you towards it. For a Z-air move I guess it could inflict minor damage but nothing to rely on

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Personally, I think the results are pretty clear without needing to see them.

All cut veterans playable returned
Inkling playable
King K. Rool playable
Ridley playable
Simon playable
Banjo & Kazooie playable
Isaac AT returned, more spirits than any other non-playable series
Shovel Knight AT
Krystal AT
Bomberman AT
Geno spirit
Rayman spirit
Shantae spirits

Makes this look fairly accurate. I don't know that there's a ton of reason for a lot of these to appear otherwise as most aren't necessarily the most relevant to Nintendo or current games. It's content the fans asked for.
Magnemite and Lanky Kong?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've heard that Magnemite is a troll/joke pick in Japan.
Correct. It was never popular outside of a meme thing.

Not to say any "meme" can't have legitimate popularity too. But the core thing is meme-related.

I'm pretty sure the games legitimately recognized the meme at one point too? But I can't remember.

Lanky I cannot really say all too well. I think it was mostly for the memes. He's not in the same category as Waluigi who is highly popular, and the memes are also a part of his popularity, but not the core reason for the majority. It helps that he has a rich personality before the memes ever started.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not seeing how the Smash Ballot didn't matter anyway.

Either way, Richter absolutely got in due to the ballot.

What made it clear to me at this point was the fact he skipped over the mascot of AC beforehand anyway for someone else. It didn't matter how big Tom Nook was(which is just as big as Isabelle was, and she literally got pushed to the side for Nook now... which kind of sucks, mind you) either. I don't believe for one second she would've gotten in without the Smash Ballot pushing her further. Villager would've been top priority over the mascot as is, since he clearly wanted the outright protagonist to represent the core gameplay. Isabelle's actually lucky too, since she had no feasible moveset at that point if it weren't for being a semi-clone. She could've gotten in potentially as far more unique, but not to "represent the AC gameplay" either. That's not who she is. She also wasn't chosen to promote any games either. She was revealed to help promote a game, which is hilarious, since she's got such a tiny role in New Horizons where Tom Nook completely took over the spotlight.

That said, it's not an argument worth having, agreed. It's off-topic anyway. It's only fair I explain my points anyway.
...I'm curious about this.
You see Tom Nook as the mascot? I would put money on the idea that Nintendo views Isabelle as the mascot.
I dont understand your sentence "She wasn't chosen to promote any games either. She was reveal to help promote a game." Those sentences are right next to each other, and completely contradict.

I'd say Isabelle is still in the game incredibly heavily. In fact, after you 'beat it' by getting K.K, you are forced to see Isabelle every day you turn on the game. Nook completely disappears at this point.
I do wonder if we might get a Tom Nook echo if we get a series of echo passes.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Scratch that. This is over a week old, off-topic, and I'm not getting back into that again. Please don't reply to stuff over a week old unless it's practically the last post and on-topic. I don't feel like going off-topic again.

That was my bad for replying at first. I should've looked a bit harder.

--------------

Though I do find it weird that Isabelle and Villager don't have a proper Zair, but then again, they use a Net for that, not the Fishing Rod. If that was their respective Grabs, I'm sure they'd be tethers and Zairs too, like the rest.

As for Isaac, I could see an Air Throw working. He could grab a person and bring them down a bit like the Pound Psynergy. That could even be his Down Throw. It could also be a hilarious Down or Side B.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Now back on topic as I said before, there's a lot of really cool Djinn ideas.

I'm thinking a boost to attack power alone could be useful. There's a ton of Psynergy to use. It's a matter of what fits each spot best. Is there a particular class that should be used to represent him? Just his base Venus classes? I would think Growth could be brought into affect too. You could also have a Djinn release system that could weaken Psynergy but boost his physical attacks. Smash doesn't really do the idea of outright "fighting stance styles", so you couldn't just switch to a class before the start of the match. If they wanted to outright do a similar idea, I do like something akin to Pokemon Change, but you could change to a Venus/Mars/Jupiter/Mercury change-out for Psynergy. I'm not sure how to make it work as well. I've done that idea once with Brian, and I had trouble filling out each move slot.
For Isaac to feel like Isaac to me- I would hope to see a good mix of psynergy related to Earth Magic, Psynergy related to his giant Hand, and a Djinn mechanic.
That's a lot to balance. I think that the way to do, at least one part of this, would be for Isaac to have TRULY unique grabs, where each of the four directions is actually him summoning the HAND as a command.
Smash attacks could be sword and psynergy moves.

But how could the specials use the Djinn? Honestly it's a difficult task. I'd think Sakurai would add Isaac for the challenge alone.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Beat the Colosso tournaments. Wasn't expecting a bunch of one on one fights to be such an HP check lol. All 3 fighters could 2-3 shot me even if I grabbed the better weapon. I got through it by spamming the Fever djiin and having them miss most of their attacks lol.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Called it o/

Also GG on beating Colosso. You can actually lose there.
I really like this moveset. Altho I definitely see Felix being an alt and not an echo, since we don't seem to be getting echoes anytime soon so far until for some reason it happens. And sadly he missed the opportunity to give Felix a masked alt costume lol, like come on… Great video nonetheless

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker

Called it o/

Aw, you beat me into it. It's funny because last week he did a moveset of another Isaac.
Kinda sad that he didn't include Move, but great moveset nonetheless.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

Called it o/

I really dig a lot of the ideas he had, using hover as a recovery is genius, his moveset had a good understanding of the source material and he got the taunts and victory animation for Isaac spot on. Although I would've relegated a djinn selection to one move instead of filling his specials with djinn attacks personally and I would've found a way to plug in Ragnarok somewhere but otherwise he did a fantastic job

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I actually had more or less the same idea for Hover. xD
I would have made a deeper djinn system but what he did is good.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I want to live in this world you dream of in which game companies are run by mobsters trying to shake each other down over characters in videogames. I'm pretty sure the publishers know what they can charge for their IP without being told how they ranked in a top 50 poll.
Of course I used hyperbole to prove a point.
All businesses want leverage.
Negotiation means a power game.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Hope everyone is enjoying Mother’s Day today!

Top Bottom