• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Sakurai's tweet is COY as a ************. The "ohoho" twice and his phrasing highlighting "...and information about Smash" gives a vibe of he knows something we don't know and is being haughty about it. This could be more than just a character.
He is clearly hinting at something, but what?

Maybe it is Shantotto from Final Fantasy XI!

No, seriously. Who are the current usual contenders who are also haughty then? Doomguy? Rayman? Dante? Sol Badguy? Tracer? Eggman?

I came across this... ordinarily nothing, sure, probably STILL nothing, sure. But it's a tweet made half a day before a Nintendo Direct announcement, from a confirmed legit leaker, and has the level of plausible deniability that would protect from the Nintendo Ninjas. Could very obliquely hint at Golden Sun (or Advance Wars or Halo, I guess).
Shinobi is obviously hinting at something too, but, same question than for Sakurai: what is he hinting?

Of this list of game, in my opinion, the only possible candidates are Master chief, Dante, and Isaac. Could Dante be the chosen one this time?

But mostly, of this list, the Nintendo games are only a few. Could it be...?

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
If there's ever been a time where i have been secretly hoping for a Golden Sun announcement, it's now.

I don't think it's gonna happen tomorrow or anytime, but god do i wish it would happen. But im just glad we are getting Directs again. They could announce Kirby washes the Dishes and i would still be happy about Directs being a thing again.

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
He is clearly hinting at something, but what?

Maybe it is Shantotto from Final Fantasy XI!

No, seriously. Who are the current usual contenders who are also haughty then? Doomguy? Rayman? Dante? Sol Badguy? Tracer? Eggman?
Of the characters you listed, Eggman definitely has a laugh like that (it's even noted as such in Team Sonic Racing). I don't think it'll be him, but... honestly I can't think of any other characters that laughs like that. Not in games, anyways. Maybe... Hilda from Under Night, but I don't see why she would get put in before Hyde, Gordeau, or Yuzuriha.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Argh. While I have a feeling it's not Golden Sun's time yet, especially if its focusing on Q1, I can't help but hope we see something.

The worry is that we don't know if there will be another direct later. What if this is the only one in 2021? It's 50 minutes, it has time to show a handful of teasers for later in the year. But if there are more directs, maybe at E3, then nah I expect we'll see it there instead, so Zelda can have its big anniversary moment now.

At least give us Isaac in Smash now to keep us going!

amageish

Smash Master
I can't wait for the Golden Sun Golf announcement
We're getting Super Smash Golfers, the exciting new JRPG/Golf fusion which shows our protagonist Isaac locked in a Golf-based battle with his rival Waluigi to determine the best Camelot OC character. /s

In all seriousness, 50 minutes is absurdly long and I'd be surprised if we didn't see what Camelot was doing at this point

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Look at what the man who leaked Banjo and many other things said 👀
View attachment 303472
It seems like he's just saying what he wants to see - I don't think it's necessarily a hint towards anything. (I don't know what else he's leaked, but the Banjo one wasn't especially subtle, and people can sometimes have a bad tendency to read into or overanalyze everything that a creator, actor, insider, etc. says)

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Of the characters you listed, Eggman definitely has a laugh like that (it's even noted as such in Team Sonic Racing). I don't think it'll be him, but... honestly I can't think of any other characters that laughs like that. Not in games, anyways. Maybe... Hilda from Under Night, but I don't see why she would get put in before Hyde, Gordeau, or Yuzuriha.
Out of curiosity I checked the relevant TV Tropes page and there aren't exactly a lot of plausible Smash candidates there. The standouts I can see (in terms of popular characters commonly associated with that laugh) are Shantotto from Final Fantasy XI, Tron Bonne from Mega Man, Karin from Street Fighter, and maybe Ivy from Soul Calibur, and I don't think any of those would make it in for various reasons. Maybe you could extrapolate that Shantae is in due to Risky Boots having the laugh, but why not hint at Shantae herself then? Eggman feels like the closest to a plausible Smash character, but considering he's not even listed on that page, I'm guessing it's not that iconic to him. As for Golden Sun, well, I think we can all agree we're not about to get a villain from there before one of the silent protagonists, right? (Right?)

In conclusion: if that tweet's a hint, I have no idea what it's for. Guess we'll find out soon enough...

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity I checked the relevant TV Tropes page and there aren't exactly a lot of plausible Smash candidates there. The standouts I can see (in terms of popular characters commonly associated with that laugh) are Shantotto from Final Fantasy XI, Tron Bonne from Mega Man, Karin from Street Fighter, and maybe Ivy from Soul Calibur, and I don't think any of those would make it in for various reasons. Maybe you could extrapolate that Shantae is in due to Risky Boots having the laugh, but why not hint at Shantae herself then? Eggman feels like the closest to a plausible Smash character, but considering he's not even listed on that page, I'm guessing it's not that iconic to him. As for Golden Sun, well, I think we can all agree we're not about to get a villain from there before one of the silent protagonists, right? (Right?)

In conclusion: if that tweet's a hint, I have no idea what it's for. Guess we'll find out soon enough...
He said this, but I don't know if it applies to the "hoho" tweet from 13 hours before.

1613533303237.png

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Isaac needs to defeat the Parasite Queen to have GS announced tomorrow. lol

Biggest coincidence here! Beginning of February, I asked for 2 days off from work this month. One of those days was for the 17th tomorrow. Hahaha! Not only that, my Link's Tunic arrived today. Wasn't expecting it till next week or two (a sign perhaps?! lol). It's the last "Major" piece I needed for my custom "cosplay" where I have the Doom Slayer's Helmet, A Gold Ring from Sonic, a Yellow Scarf from Isaac and Link's Tunic all together. This is an exciting time!

Remember Adepts, hope for the best and prepare for the worst. If nothing from Camelot is shown here, then GS WILL be coming later this year no doubt about it. But I hope it's finally revealed tomorrow; and MAYBE Isaac too? That would be the dream!

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
Realistically I'm hoping for Golden Sun ported to switch, preferably as a purchasable title rather than a lame-ass rental.

In my dreams they'll have a Golden Sun 1+2 remake, a new rhythm heaven, a new 2d metroid, new 2d zelda, huge dlc for new horizons, an activity log for switch, and an actual virtual console.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Look at what the man who leaked Banjo and many other things said 👀
View attachment 303472
Yeah I definitely recall Shinobi talking about GS before in a non-leaking manner.

I wouldn't read too deeply into that tweet.
Did Shinobi ever "speculate" right before an announced direct? He is hinting at things more often than not. I will keep faith, and at the same time believe the new character to be Eggman.

Also Advance Wars would not be too farfetched either, and that would be crazy!

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Did Shinobi ever "speculate" right before an announced direct? He is hinting at things more often than not. I will keep faith, and at the same time believe the new character to be Eggman.

This was last year in March. I think it was that Mini Direct?
He's hoping for these two in particular.
In April he said Golden Sun Remake as a response to NoA Twitter's question on what game we want for Switch.

Golden Sun Remake and Advance Wars Mobile are my best guesses right now if both are coming.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
If we don't have a Golden Sun game announced today (and I don't think we will, though I hope we do, I think it's more likely in June) then Isaac won't be the character.
If Isaac is in, he'll be announced around the same time as a GS game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah well, I came into this thread trying not to get my hopes up, and that failed.

I do wish for a new Golden Sun, but to be frank, this Direct focussing on whatever comes out in Q1 of 2021 doesn't really get my hopes up for it.

It felt like just yesterday that Sephiroth was brought into Smash tho. So at this rate, and Directs being back in general, I could see the tides turning.

Not now tho. I doubt we'll see Isaac being revealed right after Sephiroth.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Biggest coincidence here! Beginning of February, I asked for 2 days off from work this month. One of those days was for the 17th tomorrow. Hahaha! Not only that, my Link's Tunic arrived today. Wasn't expecting it till next week or two (a sign perhaps?! lol). It's the last "Major" piece I needed for my custom "cosplay" where I have the Doom Slayer's Helmet, A Gold Ring from Sonic, a Yellow Scarf from Isaac and Link's Tunic all together. This is an exciting time!
I can't wait to see your... ultimate form.
Yeah well, I came into this thread trying not to get my hopes up, and that failed.

I do wish for a new Golden Sun, but to be frank, this Direct focussing on whatever comes out in Q1 of 2021 doesn't really get my hopes up for it.

It felt like just yesterday that Sephiroth was brought into Smash tho. So at this rate, and Directs being back in general, I could see the tides turning.

Not now tho. I doubt we'll see Isaac being revealed right after Sephiroth.
Nintendo said the first half of 2021, not Q1.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh that's right yeah! In that case, it's possible Golden Sun could be showcased. But I doubt it'll be released as early as this, and Isaac be the next fighter because of this.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
My mind has been set in a holiday release for Golden Sun so no surprises if it doesn't show up today. But it'd also be nice to get that Lost Age/Xenoblade Chronicles release date timeframe of April-June given this year has just started and holiday is so far away lol.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
If a Golden Sun is in the future and is planned for later in the year, that doesn't necessarily exclude it from being shown here. Nintendo always teases a project or two from beyond the timeframe they give.

Then the question becomes what criteria decides what they decide to tease early and what they leave for earlier? I'll just say that in the September 2019 Direct (the last one we have had), the title they teased from a future timeframe was a remaster of a Xenoblade game. So... I'll just say, the bar is set pretty low with that reveal. I would think that a Golden Sun revival of some kind would be more exciting than a remastered port. (On the other hand, there is a lot of potential releases that could compete for early reveals.)

BUT I'm just throwing that out there. Golden Sun is not even guaranteed to be a thing. I'm just saying it's not impossible to be shown if it is real and is coming out later in the year. But it's also very possible it doesn't exist and we get Mario Golf. sigh This Direct will be as scary to watch as that final Super Smash Bros Ultimate Direct back in late November 2018. Hopefully this time the results will at least leave us with more hope than that Direct.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
He said this, but I don't know if it applies to the "hoho" tweet from 13 hours before.

View attachment 303497
It applies to everything. Neither him or Nintendo ruin the smash surprises by hinting them, not in Ultimate at least. People need to stop being stuck in smash 4 type of speculation with the whole sakurai pics, lol.

He replied to me with this, so I wouldn't think too much of it. If he made his usual tweet asking for those games a day prior a direct airing and it's nothing, then he just timed it super poorly, lol.

All that needs to be known is that if "Mario Sports" happens, don't worry, it's gonna be made by a 3rd party as always and we will still be waiting for GS, even if that means on the second half of the year, I can wait, honestly. Golf ain't happening, so no worries there either. We are either seeing GS in this first half or the second half. If for some reason Camelot goes as far as to spend another whole year not announcing anything, then that would make it over 4 YEARS since Aces went gold, which is just ridiculous and obvious at this point lol (it's already obvious that taking over 3 years as of now, isn't a small project, whatever they are doing in the end).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okay guys, I want your reaction to this scenario;

Golden Sun returns via this Direct, but it's through a new app on the Switch, the GBA Online. It has Golden Sun, and a couple of other big time GBA classics as Advance Wars, Fire Emblem 7, Drill Dozer and you name it.

Would you be satisfied with it?

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Well, Sephiroth didn't leak.
Nobody on FP2 has been leaked. The closest thing was Vergeben talking about Minecraft but for the base game.

Golden Sun returns via this Direct, but it's through a new app on the Switch, the GBA Online. It has Golden Sun, and a couple of other big time GBA classics as Advance Wars, Fire Emblem 7, Drill Dozer and you name it.

If Isaac gets in Smash anyways, sure.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma

Not gonna lie, I'd be very okay with that. Even better if they can get some third party titles like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Checking back into here in the endgame, lol. Usually I'm too busy with real life + GS ****posts on twitter to check back anymore. I just wanna say that no matter what happens today, it isn't the end. The fight continues, whether that entails doing the job of marketing for them GS, or remaining firm in the face of something we didnt want with golf. I've put in a lot of effort into trying to revive GS fandom, so for me I cant back out even if today royally sucks. I am in this till the end.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

As long as it doesn't stop there and a remake is still in the works since some games have both their shiny remake but still the OG available to buy at the same time so it's not the case of an either or situation. Also I like the idea of a remake allowing for more games down the line for the story to continue vs being left on on Dark Dawn's eternal cliffhanger.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240

When Golden Sun and The Lost Age came to the Wii U virtual console it was a great thing, it opens up the opportunity for so many more people to easily play the games. Making the games available through NSO would open the doors to an even wider audience and that is always a great thing.

But... Would I be satisfied? No. That move may bring the games to a wider audience, but they don't bring the series back. They don't give the series a future. Plus, it doesn't instill hope for the future of the series, as rereleasing existing games through either VC or NSO is low-risk for Nintendo and thus rereleasing titles on these services is not an indication of them actually taking any chances for the franchise.

Releasing Golden Sun and the TLA on NSO would just be Nintendo saying "Look at these old games from the past".

I want to know that there is hope for Golden Sun in the future.

Nawgust

Smash Rookie
When Golden Sun and The Lost Age came to the Wii U virtual console it was a great thing, it opens up the opportunity for so many more people to easily play the games. Making the games available through NSO would open the doors to an even wider audience and that is always a great thing.

But... Would I be satisfied? No. That move may bring the games to a wider audience, but they don't bring the series back. They don't give the series a future. Plus, it doesn't instill hope for the future of the series, as rereleasing existing games through either VC or NSO is low-risk for Nintendo and thus rereleasing titles on these services is not an indication of them actually taking any chances for the franchise.

Releasing Golden Sun and the TLA on NSO would just be Nintendo saying "Look at these old games from the past".

I want to know that there is hope for Golden Sun in the future.
Nicely put, and I think that sums up my thoughts on the possibility as well. It would be great to put Golden Sun back on the map for with new, modern audiences, but it doesn't do a whole lot for long time fans.

I feel like it is worth noting that Golden Sun has appeared in every console generation since it's creation.

GBA/ GCN era: Golden Sun and TLA release
DS/ Wii era: Dark Dawn
3DS/ Wii U era: GS and TLA virtual console re-release
Switch era: ???

So it does feel safe to assume that something is coming, whether it is another re-release or brand new entry/ remake. For a "dead" franchise, it sure has stuck around for the past 20 years.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Here's hoping!

I'm ambivalent as things stand, while I maintain anything can happen, I don't personally feel the stars are aligned for Isaac in Smash these days. I'm holding out for a remaster, but I'm doubtful that's happening this Direct, and if it doesn't happen by E3 I'm frankly tapping out. The well of hope must eventually run dry as the dawn of reality sets in. I'm not going to allow myself to be led on forever, and if it happens after E3 then great, I get a fun little surprise!

Regardless, as things stand I still hope for the best! I'd love to see Golden Sun return today!

Dendros

Smash Apprentice

No, we already have access to those games/ have played them. We need a remaster of GS1+GS2 at least

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
50 minutes is no joke. I think this is the point that Nintendo is going all out so if I’m being honest I really don’t think Golden Sun is too far fetched of a thing to show.
I don't think it's that hard to believe either.....50 minutes is a lot.

I mean if these rumours/leaks really are legit the games will have to be announced at some point. I feel like if they don't at least get announced this year I'll start to doubt if there was any truth to those rumours in the first place.

Top Bottom