• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I just think it’s cool how much the ballot effected Ultimate in it’s entirety. Like sure, we didn’t get characters like Isaac, Krystal, and Shovel Knight, but at least we got Sakurai and the developers to notice them. It just makes their odds better for a possible next time.

Plus the characters we did get from it were ****ing stellar all things considered.
I agree, there was no better felling than seeing K.Rool be confirmed in that August Direct and later be DIRECTLY stated that the Ballot was an influence in his inclusion.

The Ballot choices we got were few, but those few we got were in my opinion the best choices of Smash Ultimate's Roster.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
"There's always next game" would work better if, you know, Sakurai didn't say it could be ten years away. Which he shouldn't have, but I still remember it.
There is also the issue of cuts being inevitable for the next game as “Everyone is Here” is impossible to achieve again. This game definitely feels like the last chance Isaac is ever going to get since cut characters and third-parties will likely dominate fan demand for the next game, DLC for said game included.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
There is also the issue of cuts being inevitable for the next game as “Everyone is Here” is impossible to achieve again. This game definitely feels like the last chance Isaac is ever going to get since cut characters and third-parties will likely dominate fan demand for the next game, DLC for said game included.
Eh, I disagree. If not this smash, I can see the case for the next one with a new game (especially one that does really well) as much as I'd rather have him playable for this one lol.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m an optimist so I have the mindset that the “next” smash is going to be Ultimate Deluxe. The pessimistic side of me just isn’t there for this game lol.

We’ll definitely see but if it really does turn out that Ultimate Deluxe is a thing I could see Sakurai upgrading some of the ballot choices that didn’t quite make it this time around without having to deal with the cuts. Licensing is by far the hardest part in these situations but hopefully that won’t be necessary since the game is indeed still Ultimate.

I’m not sure if it would be a problem or not though. I’m no lawyer.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I’m an optimist so I have the mindset that the “next” smash is going to be Ultimate Deluxe. The pessimistic side of me just isn’t there for this game lol.

We’ll definitely see but if it really does turn out that Ultimate Deluxe is a thing I could see Sakurai upgrading some of the ballot choices that didn’t quite make it this time around without having to deal with the cuts. Licensing is by far the hardest part in these situations but hopefully that won’t be necessary since the game is indeed still Ultimate.

I’m not sure if it would be a problem or not though. I’m no lawyer.
IAAL

Basically here's how it would work. As the theoretical Ultimate Deluxe will be sold as a separate product, it's not as simple as "still being Ultimate" despite being essentially the same game with some extra content. Even a direct port of a same game without any extra features would require separate licenses (3DS/Wii U Smash required separate licenses for each character). That said, whether the copyright license of 3rd party characters will carry over depends entirely on how the characters were licensed (basically, the terms of a contract). If Nintendo were planning to create a "Deluxe Edition" then they probably would have taken care of this issue when the characters were licensed for Ultimate to begin with. They also could have potentially gained the rights to use the characters for whatever the next Smash installment is, though it's less likely a lot the other 3rd party companies would be willing to play ball for this scenario, especially for companies like SE and Microsoft (SE is very protective of their IP, Microsoft is a direct competitor).

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I just think it’s cool how much the ballot effected Ultimate in it’s entirety. Like sure, we didn’t get characters like Isaac, Krystal, and Shovel Knight, but at least we got Sakurai and the developers to notice them. It just makes their odds better for a possible next time.

Plus the characters we did get from it were ****ing stellar all things considered.
Pretty sure we still have 3 unannounced fighters left… I personally wouldn't anything until we know for sure who ultimately didn't make it when we actually reach the end of the 2nd pass 😉

I feel like they could very well surprise us with one character no one saw coming since base, just like how Arms did it after all this time and they simply partially compensated the franchise's content in base roster for the time being back then, due to not being able to make the actual fighter due to time limit and complexity of the character itself. Isaac is, pretty much in many ways, in a similar position as Arms was, we've discussed this before actually. His chances are pretty high still imo, but still within the obvious "if nintendo simply wants to do it or not" type of situation that characters in general are in the end.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Licensing is by far the hardest part in these situations but hopefully that won’t be necessary since the game is indeed still Ultimate.
For once, can we PLEASE pay attention to Sakurai saying Smash 6 might be 10 years away? Because look at what happened to the licensed soundtracks of various GTA games after 10 years. Several songs had to be cut from each, and Vice City Stories couldn't get a rerelease because of Phil Collins' missions.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Where will this road lead to?
One of the many cool and lucky shots I got of Isaac here.

I feel like they could very well surprise us with one character no one saw coming since base, just like how Arms did it after all this time and they simply partially compensated the franchise's content in base roster for the time being back then, due to not being able to make the actual fighter due to time limit and complexity of the character itself. Isaac is, pretty much in many ways, in a similar position as Arms was, we've discussed this before actually. His chances are pretty high still imo, but still within the obvious "if nintendo simply wants to do it or not" type of situation that characters in general are in the end.
Basically this. Isaac has a lot more going for him than we think. As I’ve said many times before, it would be a very smart decision, business wise, for Nintendo to add him which would not only make the fans happy, but also help promote the new GS game. Nintendo benefits a lot doing that in many regards. But it does come down to, “will they?”.
I have hopes he’ll be added, but I am prepared if he doesn’t make it. At least we’ll get a new game and with our established support for Isaac, it will be far bigger in the future from new fans and more!

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Where will this road lead to?
One of the many cool and lucky shots I got of Isaac here.

Basically this. Isaac has a lot more going for him than we think. As I’ve said many times before, it would be a very smart decision, business wise, for Nintendo to add him which would not only make the fans happy, but also help promote the new GS game. Nintendo benefits a lot doing that in many regards. But it does come down to, “will they?”.
I have hopes he’ll be added, but I am prepared if he doesn’t make it. At least we’ll get a new game and with our established support for Isaac, it will be far bigger in the future from new fans and more!
Yeah, the only things that matter is that a character is from a video game, which is the only official rule, and if Nintendo sees profit into getting whichever characters in smash. Nothing else, none of those dumb fan rules or anything out there that keep getting btfo-ed because their only basis is "muh precedents" which are totally worthless. It's as simple as that. The new game is just a nice extra that makes things somewhat more likely in the prospect of marketing itself and such, and I say "extra" because we know well that new games still don't confirm anything in smash lol, but it's not something to discard either of course.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Cutest. Plush. EVER!!!

I love the Golden Sun community!
Believe it or not, the Golden Sun community was the very first community I ever got involved with many many years ago. It also was the first time I was introduced to the concept of “shipping”. Heh.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Cutest. Plush. EVER!!!

I love the Golden Sun community!
Believe it or not, the Golden Sun community was the very first community I ever got involved with many many years ago. It also was the first time I was introduced to the concept of “shipping”. Heh.
Can we get Doom Slayer and Isaac and the Djinn being friends to become a meme? I’m here for it.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Though, I prefer it viewed where I posted it on Twitter. Unfortunately, I can't link it here for reasons.
Thanks to @Grandpa_Pixel on Twitter for making this adorable Venus Djinn Plush! I completely forgot his username here in SmashBoards. My bad!

NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy How do you like that? Doom Slayer caring for a Venus Djinn. :D

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I touched up the Isaac Render by Nibroc-Rock, adjusting the colors and some of the proportions to match some of the other concept art from the games. Feel free to use, no credit needed but do give a shout-out to Nibroc-Rock.
I’m consistently impressed by how this render continuously evolves to look better and better. Great work.
Though, I prefer it viewed where I posted it on Twitter. Unfortunately, I can't link it here for reasons.
Thanks to @Grandpa_Pixel on Twitter for making this adorable Venus Djinn Plush! I completely forgot his username here in SmashBoards. My bad!

NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy How do you like that? Doom Slayer caring for a Venus Djinn. :D

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 5 PM EST

Here's hoping we see a Golden Sun HD announcement.
It's apparently an actual freaking direct too. Not a mini, not a partner showcase, not a nindie, but a regular-ass direct like we haven't had in over a year.
...should probably still avoid getting my hopes up. Either way, fingers crossed for something Golden Sun.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Pretty bummed that after waiting so long for a proper Direct, complete with a confirmed Smash announcement, it's at a time I can't watch it live. Still, for us Golden Sun hopefuls, I think this is the shot we've been waiting for. Feels like a solid 50% chance of Golden Sun HD being announced, and while I think an Isaac in Smash reveal is far less likely, there's a non-zero chance we get the dream double-announcement. Let's get hype y'all!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
We've been waiting for this Direct for nearly a year and a half. It is hard to believe it is actually real. Lol.

I'm super nervous because I know that Mario Golf could be - and is arguably likely to be - announced here. Lets hope we get Golden Sun instead, but... I've been at this for too long, I know how things go.

I hope 30 minutes of the Direct isn't spent on introducing the new Smash character.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
You all know I'm pretty much praying for a Golden Sun announcement, if only because I have a vested interest in seeing the franchise rise after staking a lot on my Golden Sun Switch video last year - The trademarks, the copyrights, it all lines up in our favour, but I guess we have to wait another day to find out if things are good.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Hope we get the announcement we are all waiting for the GS HD. Honeslty i don't care anymore of Smash personally i just want the franchise to be revived. If Isaac gets in, it will be cherry on the cake, but i aim for the GS HD first. Even that i agree with Billy i think it's still quite early for GS to pop now but who knows?

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Rampant, reaching speculation fun time:

Sakurai's tweet is COY as a ************. The "ohoho" twice and his phrasing highlighting "...and information about Smash" gives a vibe of he knows something we don't know and is being haughty about it. This could be more than just a character.

People are reading into it thinking it hints at a villain who laughs in such a way or another character, but I'm not positive it's as obvious as that. Could just be him planning for more than just a single character announcement tomorrow.

Either way, I'm fairly certain no Golden Sun character has this speech pattern, even in Japanese, but I could be wrong. Alex and Kraden at least definitely don't talk like Sakurai in the tweet.

I came across this... ordinarily nothing, sure, probably STILL nothing, sure. But it's a tweet made half a day before a Nintendo Direct announcement, from a confirmed legit leaker, and has the level of plausible deniability that would protect from the Nintendo Ninjas. Could very obliquely hint at Golden Sun (or Advance Wars or Halo, I guess).

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Rampant, reaching speculation fun time:

Sakurai's tweet is COY as a ************. The "ohoho" twice and his phrasing highlighting "...and information about Smash" gives a vibe of he knows something we don't know and is being haughty about it. This could be more than just a character.

People are reading into it thinking it hints at a villain who laughs in such a way or another character, but I'm not positive it's as obvious as that. Could just be him planning for more than just a single character announcement tomorrow.

Either way, I'm fairly certain no Golden Sun character has this speech pattern, even in Japanese, but I could be wrong. Alex and Kraden at least definitely don't talk like Sakurai in the tweet.

I came across this... ordinarily nothing, sure, probably STILL nothing, sure. But it's a tweet made half a day before a Nintendo Direct announcement, from a confirmed legit leaker, and has the level of plausible deniability that would protect from the Nintendo Ninjas. Could very obliquely hint at Golden Sun (or Advance Wars or Halo, I guess).
To join in on the reaching, are there any Golden Sun characters known for being haughty? That laugh is often associated with haughty characters in Japanese media. Just ask Seraphina from Disgaea 5.

On a more serious note, I feel I should remind anybody who needs a reminder to keep the hype in check as best you can. True, Golden Sun has quite a bit going for it, but that doesn't guarentee it'll be here. For all we know, the reason for Camelot's silence is because they were working on the most ambitious Mario Golf game to date. Just be wary in case, alright everyone?

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Pretty bummed that after waiting so long for a proper Direct, complete with a confirmed Smash announcement, it's at a time I can't watch it live. Still, for us Golden Sun hopefuls, I think this is the shot we've been waiting for. Feels like a solid 50% chance of Golden Sun HD being announced, and while I think an Isaac in Smash reveal is far less likely, there's a non-zero chance we get the dream double-announcement. Let's get hype y'all!
I'm thinking 30~40%, but I'm hopeful this time we'll see it.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I touched up the Isaac Render by Nibroc-Rock, adjusting the colors and some of the proportions to match some of the other concept art from the games. Feel free to use, no credit needed but do give a shout-out to Nibroc-Rock.
I totally missed this, not bad! I like this result.

Also reminder to everyone, if Mario Sports gets announced, remember that the past Mario Sports were developed by 3rd party developers. Only Superstars had a SMALL collaboration from camelot on the tennis and golf mode, but it was 90% made by Bamco still. So yeah, if we dont see GS and we see Mario Sports, just remember that it's gonna be made by a 3rd party as always, lol. Another small collaboration can't nearly justify Camelot taking OVER 3 YEARS of development to show their next title, KEEP THAT in mind please, it's common sense. Here's still hoping we get some cool stuff tomorrow in general, I'm excited to see the bunch of zelda news :251:

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
You all know I'm pretty much praying for a Golden Sun announcement, if only because I have a vested interest in seeing the franchise rise after staking a lot on my Golden Sun Switch video last year - The trademarks, the copyrights, it all lines up in our favour, but I guess we have to wait another day to find out if things are good.
You worked super hard on that video, you've earned your bragging rights if it is unveiled for the upcoming Nintendo direct.

Top Bottom