• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
*cough*

Uh, let's see here...

Ah!

Would you be fine having the next Golden Sun game having an open-ish world like Xenoblade with it transitioning into the standard turn-based battle system once a monster got too close to you, or would you prefer the overworld view to be more similar to those found in TBS, TLA, and DD?
Honestly, I always had the thought that it’s be charming to have the traditional GS world map view, but actual in game areas (if GS were to receive a more modern upgrade) would be more like Tales of Berseria. And I’ve never been a huge fan of random encounters. I like choosing when to engage.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Would you be fine having the next Golden Sun game having an open-ish world like Xenoblade with it transitioning into the standard turn-based battle system once a monster got too close to you, or would you prefer the overworld view to be more similar to those found in TBS, TLA, and DD?
Well, personally I have no problem with keeping the overworld and battle scenes differentiated, as they are. Although I wouldn't mind monsters appearing in the overworld and running up to you (think Earthbound), I do think that Golden Sun's current ways are well-suited to its gameplay and feel.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
*cough*

Uh, let's see here...

Ah!

I think keeping the classic overworld style can help differentiate Golden Sun from the other RPGs out there. Plus, I think it might streamline the game a bit, since you don't have to deal with massive overworld models, it might make it less resource-intensive, and easier for a new team. I'd say keep the style for the remake, and if it goes over well, stick with it, otherwise try a more open-world style for a prospective GS4.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think keeping the classic overworld style can help differentiate Golden Sun from the other RPGs out there
Oh yeah I was gonna point that out as well

Being a more traditional JRPG that's exclusive to Nintendo consoles can be part of GS's niche

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Being a more traditional JRPG that's exclusive to Nintendo consoles can be part of GS's niche
You don't see that enough with Nintendo-exclusive games, really. I can't think of many JRPG's, third party or otherwise, that are Nintendo exclusive. Ignoring the Quest series for a moment, was Ogre Battle both a JRPG and Nintendo-exclusive? FF and DQ were at one time. But a lot of the Square-Enix stuff are gone. Super Mario RPG is another. Sadly a lot of the Indie games are on other consoles so can't have that niche(Dragon Fantasy, though it kind of crosses between a JRPG and WRPG at times).

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
So, I had a thought about modding Isaac as a character. He would definitely use Roy as his base. Now, imagine if his specials were all 4 moves he uses as an AT:
Neutral B - Lift
Side B - Move
Up B - Teleport
Down B - Pound
And then for his attacks, somehow change the fire effects into earth effects. Boom! We got an “easy” playable Isaac made!

Seriously though, I can hardly wait to see him modded now that we have his model. I also cannot wait to see him used in other media works too!

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
So, I had a thought about modding Isaac as a character. He would definitely use Roy as his base. Now, imagine if his specials were all 4 moves he uses as an AT:
Neutral B - Lift
Side B - Move
Up B - Teleport
Down B - Pound
And then for his attacks, somehow change the fire effects into earth effects. Boom! We got an “easy” playable Isaac made!

Seriously though, I can hardly wait to see him modded now that we have his model. I also cannot wait to see him used in other media works too!
Honestly I'm not a fan of most of his special moves being mostly revolved around the hand utility psynergy spells. One should be enough, I loved how Smash Flash 2 did it with the ability to trigger a different utility spell based on the direction you push with his side special

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace

Has this been posted here before?
Posted, I don't know, but I already saw it previously.

Been thinking of getting into the Tales series (for a few years now lol).

If you guys had to compare to another game, what would it be? I wanna hear some Adept opinions.
I personally tried the Tales serie a few years ago. I did Graces F and started Xillia.

It's too bad but I really had to push myself to end Graces, and I never finished Xillia. I don't like the worlds, and I never found the battle system appealing: merging an elemental weakness system with an action system were annoying and, for an action game, I found blocking and dodging annoying to use.

Not for me.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't know if you'd call this a glitch but I encountered something strange when playing as Jigglypuff on Dracula's Castle. I used her final Smash near the cliff (not sure what to call it, plateau?) on the left and it looked like Jigglypuff got caught on the edge because it took longer for her to inflate and it was sort of stuttering. I thought it was going to get stuck like that but it finished eventually.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't know if you'd call this a glitch but I encountered something strange when playing as Jigglypuff on Dracula's Castle. I used her final Smash near the cliff (not sure what to call it, plateau?) on the left and it looked like Jigglypuff got caught on the edge because it took longer for her to inflate and it was sort of stuttering. I thought it was going to get stuck like that but it finished eventually.
It's a glitch, I remember seeing someone else mentioning it. A pretty minor one, though.

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace

This is a big one. It's honestly a niche only Golden Sun can fill, since Xenoblade is Action-RPG, Fire Emblem is Strategy, and Pokemon is a monster collector, which leaves only Golden Sun in Nintendo's repertoire of IPs as the traditional turn-based RPG series. Golden Sun can basically be Nintendo's new Final Fantasy, and one they have complete control over, since it's First-Party.

(It's also a big reason as to why I want GS back. I just want a traditional RPG series to play, man!)

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qPunLINO4ey72UVHMQzkIDftTsaE6r83c8IHR5nVENM/edit?usp=sharing

Yeah, I know it's unrealistic, but this, I think, would be a very ideal set of representation to get if Isaac were to get in as DLC.

It's written as if Isaac and the other content was already released, and is in the style of the Smash Wiki's layout.

I dunno why I wrote it up, other than that I've been anxiously waiting Golden Sun announcements for the past few months, and I've had some extra time to spare recently.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Look at this thread, it's utterly pathetic.

This is why waiting years for a game series to return with no reassurance from the company isn't good for a series with a niche fanbase.

Interest will die down, and then what? We just repeat this cycle over and over again.

I think I'm just done with games in general. I've never had this much of an unpleasant repulsion with a series in such a short amount of time.

Hell, I recently was given the game from a friend, and I don't even WANT to play it.

Maybe going back to the manga community would give me more pleasant and satisfying content. Video games by the day are becoming even more trashy by the year.

FYI, Nintendo doesn't care about satisfying any of your needs. At the end of the day, they're about being a company. Which by default, means they only care about what makes them the most profit.

Sure, the Wii U is making them rethink their stance, but now they have no reason to try. They can sit and do nothing, and people will gobble it right up.

I'm done. I'll be back when a dead franchise gets resurrected.

He let his pessimism get the better of him.
And you're letting your optimism get the better of you, which is equally as unhealthy.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759

This is why waiting years for a game series to return with no reassurance from the company isn't good for a series with a niche fanbase.

Interest will die down, and then what? We just repeat this cycle over and over again.

I think I'm just done with games in general. I've never had this much of an unpleasant repulsion with a series in such a short amount of time.

Hell, I recently was given the game from a friend, and I don't even WANT to play it.

Maybe going back to the manga community would give me more pleasant and satisfying content. Video games by the day are becoming even more trashy by the year.

FYI, Nintendo doesn't care about satisfying any of your needs. At the end of the day, they're about being a company. Which by default, means they only care about what makes them the most profit.

Sure, the Wii U is making them rethink their stance, but now they have no reason to try. They can sit and do nothing, and people will gobble it right up.

And you're letting your optimism get the better of you, which is equally as unhealthy.
Literally not one person asked about or invited your little personal crisis rant. Sick of the support community and games in general? See ya!

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Okay how about everyone just take a few deep breaths and relax! Let’s get back to talking about Golden Sun and Isaac’s greatness.

Seriously there is no point in labeling anyone as overly pessimistic or optimistic, given the current circumstances both feelings are understandable.

However, now is the time to lessen negativity and act in a more positive way to show our support for Golden Sun. Right now we have a few good things assuming rumors are true. NoA was surprised by the disappointment from fans about Isaac simply being an assist trophy and don’t forget the good amount of content it got in Smash for not even having a playable character. We also need to remember Ultimate has 30 open slots left for characters meaning future DLC past Wave 1 is not just possible but likely to happen.

Staying vocal is key! But those vocals need to lean heavily on the positive side to garner attention.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Happy New Years (Well it's officially 2019 where I live at least lol). Even though we didn't get Isaac in Smash like we hoped we shouldn't deny how much of an impact we made this year regarding Golden Sun. Heck the fact that Golden Sun became a trending topic this year on Twitter and the success of the first Golden Sunday in November 2018 is nothing small to scoff at. We need to stay positive and keep the momentum going. Things come slow but it just takes perseverance and patience to get where we want to be at. We still got quiet a bit of content in Ultimate one of the most for a non playable franchise, it's definitely an upgrade from Smash 4 at least and that game had a GS release in between releases of it's release and Brawl's release

Also again happy new years from the entire Isaac Ultimate Allied Adepts team

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
XenoWarriorX XenoWarriorX Being realistically optimistic makes people happier because their mind is full of positive thoughts. Not to mention hormones. It's science.

Do as you wish. Your frustration is reasoned. But there's one thing I know: things won't change if there aren't people fighting for their case.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I think a few things that are causing a slowdown in this thread is that we are still in the holiday season, and a lot of us (like myself) are going out of this thread to spread more Golden Sun love on other platforms like Twitter, YouTube, etc. I’ll always be coming back here though, but I sometimes wish I could double post. Haha! I got a big GS project I hope to finish soon. I hope others will like it.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Well the Cloud leaker from Smash 4 appears to have stated Erdrick is coming. What if the DLC is all RPG protagonists??? Hmmmm....

But seriously, what is everyone's thoughts on this?

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
I think a few things that are causing a slowdown in this thread is that we are still in the holiday season, and a lot of us (like myself) are going out of this thread to spread more Golden Sun love on other platforms like Twitter, YouTube, etc. I’ll always be coming back here though, but I sometimes wish I could double post. Haha! I got a big GS project I hope to finish soon. I hope others will like it.
I can confirm that the holiday season has an effect. I’ve been a bit busy with family things, so I haven’t had much time to hang out on these boards other than to quickly hand out some likes. I’ve also finally got my hands on Ultimate (am I the only person to not get it until Christmas?) so I’ve been busy with that. It was pretty awesome to get GS content first thing when booting up the game, as Felix was my first Spirit. Got all of Isaac’s Mii costume and all of the GS spirits except for Isaac himself. Sad as it was Isaac didn’t make it in, it does honestly feel good to at least know people will be getting legitimate exposure to the series this time, unlike Smash 4.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
Well the Cloud leaker from Smash 4 appears to have stated Erdrick is coming. What if the DLC is all RPG protagonists??? Hmmmm....

But seriously, what is everyone's thoughts on this?
Literally the only Square Enix-owned characters that I would be excited to see in Smash are Geno and Terra.

Erdrick, the Luminary, Slime, Noctis, etc., I'm all neutral on, and Sora is the one character that has a chance that I do not want to see in smash, though I still wouldn't get too upset if he got in.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I'm really unhappy about Erdrick being such a likely character. I can't say DQ hasn't earned a spot with the legacy it has but it's not something a lot of people have asked for. It wouldn't kill Nintendo to give us a few fan requested characters as DLC.
Sora is the one character that has a chance that I do not want to see in smash, though I still wouldn't get too upset if he got in.
Aw man what have you got against Sora.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
Aw man what have you got against Sora.
I already stay far, far away from anything related to Disney, so, understandably, I wouldn't really want a pseudo-Disney character in my Smash game for gaming characters.

If Sora got in, there would be a large chance that other non-gaming Disney properties would make a cameo in his moveset/his stage/spirits, which would open the floodgates for other non-gaming stuff to come to SSB.

Though, if he did get in, I would understand that he (probably) would have a cool moveset and whatnot, so I wouldn't get too fussy over the matter.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I already stay far, far away from anything related to Disney, so, understandably, I wouldn't really want a pseudo-Disney character in my Smash game for gaming characters.

If Sora got in, there would be a large chance that other non-gaming Disney properties would make a cameo in his moveset/his stage/spirits, which would open the floodgates for other non-gaming stuff to come to SSB.

Though, if he did get in, I would understand that he (probably) would have a cool moveset and whatnot, so I wouldn't get too fussy over the matter.
I get why people are afraid of this "floodgate" thing with Sora but there's so much original content for KH that non video game properties don't really need to be an issue.

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
I personally feel you when it comes to Sora. Out of all KH original characters I care about him the least.
I wouldn't mind him being one of the DLC characters though since I LOVE Kingdom Hearts music. I just hope the 1st DLC wave will be over as fast as possible since I would love to know, how they're gonna approach the 2nd wave.

I rly do hope that they will do another ballot for Ultimate. And I would definitely keep voting for Isaac since I don't care if he is an AT already.

Hey guys. I'm making a Mii Sword Fighter Montage with the Isaac Costume obviously. Would mean the world to me if you guys watch it. I feel it's a good way to raise some awareness for Isaac again. Still working on it at the moment. There's going to be plenty of disrespect, combos, and other shenanigans in it.

Here's a still from one of the clips I'm going to be using. Looks like he's casting some Psynergy.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
As the new year 2019 approaches, I can just say that smash ultimate was quite a ride leading up to its release. I just know we gotta keep pushing for golden sun to be revived as a franchise and I will embrace my journey to be one of the best smash bros players who always be cosplayed as Isaac at each venue I go to. I recommend that we keep supporting this great franchise and for it to return again. 2018 was the best push for golden sun we got in years!

Does anyone here still think Isaac has a shot at getting in as dlc given Reggie’s statement that the dlc characters will be from new franchises and be characters that we will not expect? How crazy would it be to see an at promotion in the same game! I want to believe.

Attachments

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Does anyone here still think Isaac has a shot at getting in as dlc given Reggie’s statement that the dlc characters will be from new franchises and be characters that we will it expect? How crazy would it be to see an at promotion in the same game! I want to believe.
He simply said characters would be "new to the series", stating the obvious when all veterans are back. And I think "unexpected" could mean anything, even, well, a promoted AT from a series that hasn't gotten a new game in 8 years or a new, liked game in 15.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Does anyone here still think Isaac has a shot at getting in as dlc given Reggie’s statement that the dlc characters will be from new franchises and be characters that we will it expect? How crazy would it be to see an at promotion in the same game! I want to believe.
Well Isaac would certainly be unexpected...

Also if I had £10 for everytime I heard people say 'Reggie said they will be from new franchises' I would be the richest man on Earth. He didn't say that, he just said that the DLC characters will be new to the series which means nothing.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace

Giving up doesn’t get a series Resurrected, that’s for sure. But that’s fine Xeno. You do you bud, but don’t rain on our parade.
If you want my honest opinion. No. I think we have a better chance of getting a new Golden Sun game at this point. And that’s what I’ll push for.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I have to say, even though we didn’t get Isaac as a fighter, I’m grateful that we got much better representation in Smash than any Smash game ever. Our position is far better than it was back during the Smash 4 days. What a disappointment that was.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I'm certainly looking forward to the new year. Golden Sun finally got a strong, albeit far from ideal, representation in Smash, and while I'm not expecting Isaac DLC or a new GS game in the short term, it really does seem like the attention we've given the franchise is liable to pay off one way or another. Worst case scenario, regular updates for Smash ought to be fun regardless, and there are other cool Switch games on the horizon like new Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and maybe Metroid Prime 4. 2019 ought to be a good one for Nintendo fans!

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
He simply said characters would be "new to the series", stating the obvious when all veterans are back. And I think "unexpected" could mean anything, even, well, a promoted AT from a series that hasn't gotten a new game in 8 years or a new, liked game in 15.
Hey, I liked Dark Dawn...

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I'm still holding out hope for Isaac as a fighter. Too many coincidences point to Isaac to not mean anything. It might be a lost cause, but I'll be damned if this isn't the hill I die on. I believe in the best case scenario: a Broken Seal/Lost Age remake announced next year, with Isaac as a DLC fighter to accompany it. A Golden Sun revival will soon be upon us, and I'll be celebrating the whole time. We will get the last laugh to everyone who said that Isaac was just another anime swordsman, who said Golden Sun was too irrelevant, that Assist Trophies deconfirmed characters. The Golden Sun will rise again, and we'll all be here to see it happen.

D

Deleted member

are you ok

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I'm still holding out hope for Isaac as a fighter. Too many coincidences point to Isaac to not mean anything. It might be a lost cause, but I'll be damned if this isn't the hill I die on. I believe in the best case scenario: a Broken Seal/Lost Age remake announced next year, with Isaac as a DLC fighter to accompany it. A Golden Sun revival will soon be upon us, and I'll be celebrating the whole time. We will get the last laugh to everyone who said that Isaac was just another anime swordsman, who said Golden Sun was too irrelevant, that Assist Trophies deconfirmed characters. The Golden Sun will rise again, and we'll all be here to see it happen.
I’m almost in that same boat as you too, but I also don’t expect anything either. That doesn’t mean I will stop my campaign to get Golden Sun back and get Isaac in the Smash Roster.

Imagine someone like PewDiePie would say how much he would like the series to return and have Isaac in Smash. Which in turn would get millions of people to help campaign for it to happen. *sigh* What a dream that would be...

Life, man.

Edit: Heh, PewDiePie’s name is Felix. Just like TLA’s protag, Felix. Random thought. Lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom