• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
Not saying I hate normies or anything, but man do they reek with their whole "relevancy" arguments as a way to denounce newcomers in the community.
The relevancy argument is basically just people twisting it to their own ends. Smash already has plenty of characters that haven't been in anything else for a long time.

Heck, the last time King K. Rool was actually a major character, Golden Sun wasn't even a thing yet.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
It was a tourney elimination style vote. Isaac just ended up having to fight more battles to get to the final but Banjo & Kazooie won the final vote.
What makes that tourney more interesting is that Banjo was the only one that took Isaac out. Then Isaac came back for the rematch of the century at the finals. Seriously, that tournament was hype! You could easily turn that into an epic anime of sorts.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It was a tourney elimination style vote. Isaac just ended up having to fight more battles to get to the final but Banjo & Kazooie won the final vote.
Yeah. Isaac lost to Banjo earlier, fought his way through the losers bracket to lose to Banjo again at the end.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
So, uh, yeah...

Hmm...

Have we confirmed that the TLA Final Boss theme is the only GS song (along with possibly the DD one) in Smash Ultimate?

If so, then, as has been said before, it certainly seems like they're holding back GS music from us...

...for DLC, perhaps.

But I think that the best thing to do right now is to keep our enthusiasm high and our morale steady.

If we give up now, then there's a good chance that GS is forgotten by Nintendo again...

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
So, uh, yeah...

Hmm...

Have we confirmed that the TLA Final Boss theme is the only GS song (along with possibly the DD one) in Smash Ultimate?

If so, then, as has been said before, it certainly seems like they're holding back GS music from us...

...for DLC, perhaps.

But I think that the best thing to do right now is to keep our enthusiasm high and our morale steady.

If we give up now, then there's a good chance that GS is forgotten by Nintendo again...
Agreed! I refuse to give up after how far we've come. Now that Isaac is in many people's heads, it's time to use this to our advantage and get a new Golden Sun game or remake and show why this IP is an important part to Nintendo and to all of us.

I will say, despite Isaac's AT, things are still fishy about it to me compared to the other ATs and Spirits. It all feels...off for some reason. Or it could be that I'm in denial. I honestly don't know. Still won't stop supporting my Golden Boy no matter what.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I don't think anything's happening, but I'm not giving up hope that Isaac will be playable someday. I wish he could have been in base game to share some of the spotlight with the other newcomers, but us Golden Sun fans rarely get what we want. Oh well - as long as things start turning around in less than a decade, I'll be fine.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Posted that on the newcomer speculation thread, posting it here as well to know what you think.

I want to believe the Isaac For Smash theories more because I want him but also because... his in-game model looks "meh" compared to many others. Look at Chrom who is said to have been rushed, there's so much more detail on him. Look at newly introduced camera girl, it's on a whole different level (understandably so for her). Even Vince, Dr Wily or Black Knight have better models.

On the other hand, Isaac is the first one to have been given new moves, including teleportation to quickly reposition himself. Each of them using a different animation: thrusting his arm forward to push, joining his hands together to lift, swinging his arm downwards to pound...

Why this discrepancy? A meh model without real attention to details (just look at his hair...) yet giving him unprecedented "love" by increasing his range of attacks, even giving him new animations. Sakurai must have known how fans would react to Isaac being a trophy, new moves or not. If the reaction is the same, why not just bring the old moveset back? Why go the extra mile on that point, yet not on the 3D model? It just feels like something doesn't add up. You could handwave it saying "he wanted to appease the fans in some way" but then why show him in the very last direct? Why so late? Why not upgrade his looks rather than his moveset, since it's what people will see first? I really think something feels off.

Edit: forgot the absence of new music in his introduction, just lazily taking the Brawl remix and call it a day.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Posted that on the newcomer speculation thread, posting it here as well to know what you think.
The Black Knight and Yuri Kozukata already had actual, high-quality 3D models from their own games (though Black Knight had to be upgraded to HD, while Yuri was probably downgraded just a tad so the Switch could handle yet another character in the ensuing chaos). Spring Man is a straight copy-paste from ARMS. Shovel Knight and Wily were probably shown better/more care in development as to not offend third-parties.

As for the "Isaac has new moves" point - yes? It would have been pathetic if he didn't. If all he had was his one move from Brawl, the likes of Zero and Alucard would outshine him far too much.

Isaac's AT is probably more of an upgraded Brawl model rather than a brand new one (see the arms, the sword, to see the resemblance), hence why he looks wonky in Ultimate.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
As for the "Isaac has new moves" point - yes? It would have been pathetic if he didn't. If all he had was his one move from Brawl, the likes of Zero and Alucard would outshine him far too much.
Thing is, you have ATs that are just worthless and others that are stupidly good. When you get Starfy or Tingle, you're pretty sad. The pokéballs also have varying degrees of usefulness. That's why the argument "Isaac would have been outshined" doesn't hold much ground. Nobody would have complained to "update his moveset" if they had chosen not to. It never happened before, after all. We'd have been here in this thread, telling ourselves to rejoice that Isaac is back in Ultimate at least.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Thing is, you have ATs that are just worthless and others that are stupidly good. When you get Starfy or Tingle, you're pretty sad. The pokéballs also have varying degrees of usefulness. That's why the argument "Isaac would have been outshined" doesn't hold much ground. Nobody would have complained to "update his moveset" if they had chosen not to. It never happened before, after all. We'd have been here in this thread, telling ourselves to rejoice that Isaac is back in Ultimate at least.
As far as I'm concerned, I wished Sakurai would give him new moves. I wanted the most requested first-party character to be more of an Alucard and less of a Waluigi if he brought Isaac back as an AT. Isaac spawning just to make ONE particular move and then disappear wouldn't have the same "oomph" as Lyn for example, and I would have felt very disappointed.

Also I saw this on Gamefaqs (a post by Luminozero, wonder if that person is still hanging around here?)

The truth of Golden Sun fans is this.

We don't care which character gets in. For the most part, Smash is a means to an end for us. We want more Golden Sun games, and Smash happens to be the most efficient way for us to make that desire real.

Isaac, Matthew, Felix, Alex, Briggs? Doesn't matter to most of us in the slightest.
Yeah, how about no. Please don't rope every Golden Sun fan into that odd mindset. I no longer care about getting a new Golden Sun game, I - and plenty of other Isaac fans too - just care about Smash and care about Isaac and/or Felix. It's been the case for 17 years now. Stop treating Isaac and/or Smash like a tool. You don't see Banjo fans saying they only see Smash as a way of bringing the series back, and that they wouldn't care about Smash if it couldn't help their cause. And saying "Matthew's fine" kinds of rubs me off the wrong way, considering neither Matthew or his game are the reasons Golden Sun is so beloved among players. If Matthew gets added as DLC, I'll just celebrate the GS stage and the GS music and not even consider playing the guy (except once for Classic mode). I'll be back to support Isaac for Smash 6 tho.

I'll happily buy a new Golden Sun game if that happens, and I'm not wronging anybody for wanting one, but it seems like everybody's doing this whole "Isaac for Smash" thing for all the wrong reasons.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I don't think anything's happening, but I'm not giving up hope that Isaac will be playable someday. I wish he could have been in base game to share some of the spotlight with the other newcomers, but us Golden Sun fans rarely get what we want. Oh well - as long as things start turning around in less than a decade, I'll be fine.
Pretty much one of the main bummers of Isaac not getting in this time around. Sure maybe he could finally be playable in Smash 6, but this game was deemed Ultimate, bringing back all the characters over the course of Smash history, immortalizing them on a giant mural, return of cgi story cutscenes etc. Whenever I watch World of Light or the new Smash Ultimate commercial, all I can think is, man Isaac would have been so cool in this. Why couldn't he have made the jump THIS game? Jeez.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You’ve seen and got the Scaly Duo

Now get ready for:
The Camelot Crew
Hey, Hey, here we go.
So they're finally here performing for you,
if you know the words you can join in too!

Put your hands together if you want to clap,
As we take you through this Knightly Rap. HUH!
---
The truth of Golden Sun fans is this.

We don't care which character gets in. For the most part, Smash is a means to an end for us. We want more Golden Sun games, and Smash happens to be the most efficient way for us to make that desire real.

Isaac, Matthew, Felix, Alex, Briggs? Doesn't matter to most of us in the slightest.
What?

This couldn't be further from the truth.

Most of us want Isaac, not Felix, not Matthew, Isaac. He's the one who's name is on this thread, he's the face of the franchise, the one most people who have played GS experienced as the protagonist.

Also, not everyone's end goal is a new Golden Sun game; there are multiple people with multiple priorities, some people want Isaac in Smash just to have Isaac in Smash, others want Isaac in Smash to get a New Golden Sun game, others still want a new Golden Sun game to get Isaac in Smash.

This comment paints a diverse group all with a single brush, which isn't what we should be doing, we aren't a hive mind.

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, I'd be down with any Golden Sun rep for the one reason that it'd open up many opportunities for Golden: a remake, a new game, Isaac in Smash... or Sveta in smash. If there's one character Dark Dawn could get as rep, it's Sveta.

Still... Ideally, Isaac should be the rep. Felix could be his clone or even just a costume, but Isaac has become the face of the series now. I think if (or rather when) Golden Sun gets a rep, it will either be Isaac or the MC of a new entry in the franchise.

KMDP

Smash Legend
To be fair, I'd be down with any Golden Sun rep for the one reason that it'd open up many opportunities for Golden: a remake, a new game, Isaac in Smash... or Sveta in smash. If there's one character Dark Dawn could get as rep, it's Sveta.

Still... Ideally, Isaac should be the rep. Felix could be his clone or even just a costume, but Isaac has become the face of the series now. I think if (or rather when) Golden Sun gets a rep, it will either be Isaac or the MC of a new entry in the franchise.
There's no way we'd get Sveta before anyone of the player protagonists from Golden Sun.

That'd be like getting someone like Seth or Frederick before Marth, or Toad before Mario.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There's no way we'd get Sveta before anyone of the player protagonists from Golden Sun.

That'd be like getting someone like Seth or Frederick before Marth, or Toad before Mario.
Or like getting Robin and Lucina before Chrom. Stranger things have happened.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know there's an issue with that argument, but I'm much too tired to think of what it is.
Robin got in as a unique character and Lucina was initially an alternative costume to a pre-existing character. Plus, Robin is a player avatar.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Robin got in as a unique character and Lucina was initially an alternative costume to a pre-existing character. Plus, Robin is a player avatar.
I thought about it while I was clearing up my stuff to get ready for bed, and came up with an(other) argument.

Chrom, Robin and Lucina also weren't the first characters picked for Fire Emblem.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Never said Sveta would be the first Golden Sun rep though. Just that they could decide: let's make Isaac the first GS rep, Felix will be an alt costume... the series is revived, people like it and want more... Felix becomes an echo and Sveta becomes the Dark Dawn rep.

Ahh, sweet dreams. I know it's highly unlikely to ever happen, that's why I agree Isaac is the rep we should be asking for. But if Nintendo decides to go with another one (for some obscure reason) then I'd be on board with that . Anything to give Golden Sun some much needed and deserved spotlight.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Never said Sveta would be the first Golden Sun rep though. Just that they could decide: let's make Isaac the first GS rep, Felix will be an alt costume... the series is revived, people like it and want more... Felix becomes an echo and Sveta becomes the Dark Dawn rep.

Ahh, sweet dreams. I know it's highly unlikely to ever happen, that's why I agree Isaac is the rep we should be asking for. But if Nintendo decides to go with another one (for some obscure reason) then I'd be on board with that . Anything to give Golden Sun some much needed and deserved spotlight.
Kind of sucks we're still trying to get our foot in the door. Imagine if we were on our third/fourth rep and too many Golden Sun characters! That'd be some alternate universe going on there lol.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Yeah, how about no. Please don't rope every Golden Sun fan into that odd mindset. I no longer care about getting a new Golden Sun game, I - and plenty of other Isaac fans too - just care about Smash and care about Isaac and/or Felix. It's been the case for 17 years now. Stop treating Isaac and/or Smash like a tool. You don't see Banjo fans saying they only see Smash as a way of bringing the series back, and that they wouldn't care about Smash if it couldn't help their cause. And saying "Matthew's fine" kinds of rubs me off the wrong way, considering neither Matthew or his game are the reasons Golden Sun is so beloved among players. If Matthew gets added as DLC, I'll just celebrate the GS stage and the GS music and not even consider playing the guy (except once for Classic mode). I'll be back to support Isaac for Smash 6 tho.

I'll happily buy a new Golden Sun game if that happens, and I'm not wronging anybody for wanting one, but it seems like everybody's doing this whole "Isaac for Smash" thing for all the wrong reasons.
What do you mean by that? The way you phrased it makes it seems like pushing for Isaac in Smash to be able to revive our franchise is a "Wrong reason".

Because it's not selfish. Smash is a huge franchise that has been able to introduce players to a franchise, so it's not like the goals of Isaac in smash and another Golden Sun aren't completely seperate.

Whether you like to think about it or not, Isaac in smash leads to a new Game. And a new game leads you isaac in smash. (At least that's what people like to believe.)

No matter what, our goal is to get as many people to know about Golden sun. To get this franchise back in the spotlight, and we'll do it by whatever means in nessasary.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah I'm not someone who wants just any Golden Sun character playable, It's always been about Isaac for me, since he's the face of the series and the most important character. Only other character I might be okay with is Felix, since he's also an important part of the first 2 games (the 2 GS games I give the most s***s about) and TLA is my favorite GS game. Even then though seeing Felix get playable status before Isaac would ne weird and awkward when, again, he's not the face of the series, and when he doesn't even have the excuse of being in the most recent title like Matthew does (not that being in the most recent title really means anything when that title was 8 years ago...)

As for GS in Smash vs. new GS game, well, I want both lol.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What?

This couldn't be further from the truth.

Most of us want Isaac, not Felix, not Matthew, Isaac. He's the one who's name is on this thread, he's the face of the franchise, the one most people who have played GS experienced as the protagonist.

Also, not everyone's end goal is a new Golden Sun game; there are multiple people with multiple priorities, some people want Isaac in Smash just to have Isaac in Smash, others want Isaac in Smash to get a New Golden Sun game, others still want a new Golden Sun game to get Isaac in Smash.

This comment paints a diverse group all with a single brush, which isn't what we should be doing, we aren't a hive mind.
Yeah. From the start, I've been a guy who wouldn't mind seeing Isaac in Smash. I wasn't about to pretend the secondary cast would have the same clout as people like Ashley, Isabelle or even Sans, when getting Isaac in is enough of a challenge as it is.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Maybe we should make a Google Doc for all of our evidence for Isaac in Smash/Golden Sun remake or new game.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Also in other news Memoir Production will be broadcasting the first episode of their Golden Sun animation tonight at 7:00 PM :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Q4w5Y3Gx0
I completely forgot about this since I heard of it months ago. That's that kind of stuff we, as fans, must push with all our strength. I already made a post about it on /r/nintendo, but, everyone, share it everywhere you can.

Edit: welp, got ruled two on /r/Nintendo, can't share fan content. That will not help the cause.

Last edited:

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
Maybe we should make a Google Doc for all of our evidence for Isaac in Smash/Golden Sun remake or new game.
I’m on it! I’m already in too deep with these crazy theories, might as well make something readable instead of going off on tangeants.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The first episode of the Golden Sun fan dub has been released. We need to spread the word about this project as much as we can because it's fantastic

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
The first episode of the Golden Sun fan dub has been released. We need to spread the word about this project as much as we can because it's fantastic
[/QUOTE
Whoa I remember seeing the animation for that fan dub a long time back and loving it. Its awesome to see it as a finished episode now. Yeah lets spread the word on this guys. This could be a good start to keep the pace up.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I’m on it! I’m already in too deep with these crazy theories, might as well make something readable instead of going off on tangeants.
If you end up doing it and want help, count me in! I have a lot of random facts that would love to have organized too.

By the way guys, remember some pages back I said about Golden Sun fan merch? I just got some of my holographic mini standees in and would like to know how would you feel with something similar but all GS related? Right now what I have planned is: Acrylic (charms, keychain or standees), Enamel pins and Magnets.
But I would love extra input. My current acrylics have a mini base to show them that is removable to keep as keychain + they have holographic finish (but it could be either plain clear acrylic, other model of holos such as cracked, glitter and also could make some with metallic accents). Was planning to open pre-orders too so I can figure out how many to make

Attachments

Top Bottom