• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I really appreciate how optimistic a lot of you are, but I think I've come to terms with joining the DLC bandwagon. Obviously bringing all the old characters back was priority #1 for this game. So was adding the expected characters (Inkling, Simon, and Isabelle). They threw a bone to the ballot with Ridley and K Rool, but I'm pretty convinced that there's no more big character surprises, at least until after launch. Not to mention that this Spirits mode could have also taken up a lot of development time.

I will say that with the ballot finally opening the eyes of Nintendo developers on which characters the fans really want to see, we can expect some interesting results once DLC season arrives. I'm sure Isaac received plenty of votes, I know I voted for him :)
Uh....

Okay?

Not sure why you're abandoning ship this early.

But whatever floats your rescue boat.

Last edited:

tveye

Smash Journeyman
Uh....

Okay?

Not sure why you're abandoning ship this early.

But whatever floats your rescue boat.
Don't tell me you weren't crushed after Smash 4 came out and Golden Sun has almost no representation? I don't want to deal with that again. I'm going to hold out hope that Isaac is in, but if he's not than I'm still going to enjoy the game regardless. I won't let bitterness hold be back.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm not joining the DLC train until the whole base roster is shown off, and no doggo or box is going to change that.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I'm not joining the DLC train until the whole base roster is shown off, and no doggo or box is going to change that.
I agree with this, I think it's a bit too early to join the DLC train. We don't even know the size of the base roster yet.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Have we ever gone this long without the blog updating?

Well, we probably have, and having the weekend smack dab in the middle of the drought is just prolonging it and making it seem longer than it is. But still...

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I'll hop aboard the DLC train as soon as it seems necessary. Right now, I'll be hyping our boy (as well as other major picks like Geno, Banjo, and Skull Kid) until the sun rises

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Dio....You really gotta stop double posting. Mods really hate that. I'm really stressing this.

Don't tell me you weren't crushed after Smash 4 came out and Golden Sun has almost no representation? I don't want to deal with that again. I'm going to hold out hope that Isaac is in, but if he's not than I'm still going to enjoy the game regardless. I won't let bitterness hold be back.
You can still have hope for him in base. Expecting him is one thing, but hoping is another.

Last edited:

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
I really appreciate how optimistic a lot of you are, but I think I've come to terms with joining the DLC bandwagon. Obviously bringing all the old characters back was priority #1 for this game. So was adding the expected characters (Inkling, Simon, and Isabelle). They threw a bone to the ballot with Ridley and K Rool, but I'm pretty convinced that there's no more big character surprises, at least until after launch. Not to mention that this Spirits mode could have also taken up a lot of development time.

I will say that with the ballot finally opening the eyes of Nintendo developers on which characters the fans really want to see, we can expect some interesting results once DLC season arrives. I'm sure Isaac received plenty of votes, I know I voted for him :)
Cmon man, you can’t surrender before the battle has ended! Yes, it stung that Isaac wasn’t in smash 4, but you shouldn’t let that bad experience limit your hope. We’re only here because we won’t let Golden Sun die, and have been trying as hard as we can to make our voices heard. If everyone just abandoned ship like that, there’s no way we’d be where we are now, the biggest newcomer thread here on smash boards! Think of it like this: the roster has already been decided, we did what we could during the ballot. The only thing we can do now is continue to show our support.

I wasn’t even born when Golden Sun came out. By the time I started playing video games, I was playing on the wii. The only reason I’m such a huge fan of Golden Sun now is because of you guys. I saw your support during smash 4 and thought “Wow, he looks cool. I should play his games!” Because of your support, I was introduced to one of my favorite games of all time. So take it from me, your support is not in vain. Don’t give up! The battle isn’t over until it’s over!

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Maybe it's ironic that I'm saying this, because I'm the negative one here, but I think that hoping for him as DLC is kinda limiting yourself from feeling hurt, but it kinda limits your confidence in the character and it's chances.

I think a good example is how even though I thought I wanted isaac's assist trophy back, I still wanted to vote for him as a fighter. Yeah, I know he could just be put in as an Assist, but I feel that limits the impact of your want for that character. When given the opportunity, think it's best to hope/request for the most that you can reach.

While right now, our support right now might not do much to affecting who was already chosen for the game, I think the support would leave a lasting impression on Nintendo that they would have to keep us on their radar.

(Granted, I'm finding out that college is becoming much more difficult, so I might not be able to give my full support during my free time. But I still think it's best to go in with hope. Weather you think he's in is irrealvent. But it's our own hope that pushes us forward.)

Anyway, gotta stay up for two hours creating a document from scratch. Lmao.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
I can respect your decision since Smash 4 felt like being hit by a truck, but it seems kinda early. You miss out on all the highs and lows in the meantime to temper your expectations.

Besides, we're Isaac fans: we're used to being hosed. We're the Smash Speculation equivalent of Sandbag; no matter how hard we get hit, we get back up

TappyBat

Smash Ace
I can respect your decision since Smash 4 felt like being hit by a truck, but it seems kinda early. You miss out on all the highs and lows in the meantime to temper your expectations.

Besides, we're Isaac fans: we're used to being hosed. We're the Smash Speculation equivalent of Sandbag; no matter how hard we get hit, we get back up
and the cycle will continue cause we'll never get what we want?

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
Maybe it's ironic that I'm saying this, because I'm the negative one here, but I think that hoping for him as DLC is kinda limiting yourself from feeling hurt, but it kinda limits your confidence in the character and it's chances.

I think a good example is how even though I thought I wanted isaac's assist trophy back, I still wanted to vote for him as a fighter. Yeah, I know he could just be put in as an Assist, but I feel that limits the impact of your want for that character. When given the opportunity, think it's best to hope/request for the most that you can reach.

While right now, our support right now might not do much to affecting who was already chosen for the game, I think the support would leave a lasting impression on Nintendo that they would have to keep us on their radar.

(Granted, I'm finding out that college is becoming much more difficult, so I might not be able to give my full support during my free time. But I still think it's best to go in with hope. Weather you think he's in is irrealvent. But it's our own hope that pushes us forward.)

Anyway, gotta stay up for two hours creating a document from scratch. Lmao.
I want to keep that hope and spread the word, without being obnoxious. Lately, I feel the hope being sapped from me and cause me to waver my opinions and than I feel a bit down. Still, as long as we are out there believing and hoping for our boi to get in the base game than I can keep my head up. Our support as a community despite our doubts, skepticism and negativity. It's only natural to feel this way, but we have to be optimistic and positive so that we don't end up believing we have failed and we haven't and I don't believe that we will. So, even if we aren't in the base game we will have a 100% chance on DLC. We can win this. So let's push our negativity and doubts to the side a bit and enjoy ourselves.

Besides that, look at this guys work!

https://twitter.com/Traveller_102/status/1040735579548336128

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Even if you're pessimistic about Isaac's chances of being in the game, you can always just show your support for the character and talk about Golden Sun here. Whether he's in the game has long since been decided, but huge threads like this could certainly help convince Nintendo to plan him for DLC, or port/remaster Golden Sun for Switch, or at least be on the short list for the almost inevitable Smash 6. I admittedly don't post here much outside of the Directs, but I like to stop by and contribute because I like to believe it helps show Nintendo just how passionate a fanbase Isaac and Golden Sun still have, and one day that could make the difference.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I want to keep that hope and spread the word, without being obnoxious. Lately, I feel the hope being sapped from me and cause me to waver my opinions and than I feel a bit down. Still, as long as we are out there believing and hoping for our boi to get in the base game than I can keep my head up. Our support as a community despite our doubts, skepticism and negativity. It's only natural to feel this way, but we have to be optimistic and positive so that we don't end up believing we have failed and we haven't and I don't believe that we will. So, even if we aren't in the base game we will have a 100% chance on DLC. We can win this. So let's push our negativity and doubts to the side a bit and enjoy ourselves.

Besides that, look at this guys work!

https://twitter.com/Traveller_102/status/1040735579548336128
Duuuuuuuuuuude that Djinn.

So ya know that whole "Everyone is here" thing? I'm thinking that might transfer to every Assist Trophy as well. They'll be in in one form or another. We're only missing what, 15 assist trophies from the previous two iterations?

Seoxys

Smash Apprentice
CURSES ! Now that the Direct has passed, every damn friend of mine makes fun of me because I just wanted to get my hopes up thanks to that trademark thing. Thanks Nintendo. I knew I shouldn't've trusted this. -.-

Base Roster or DLC, it doesn't matter, if Isaac gets in, I'm getting him, no matter how and the time he comes !

Sakurai HAS to know about the character's popularity, he was AT in Brawl, we still have Golden Sun musics in the game. (But no Venus Lighthouse tho ? This makes me mad. I'd like Jenna's Theme too but I guess I can dream...)

I don't think he'd get Felix as an Echo Fighter, feels too great to be true, but honestly with that Smash everything can happpen, especially ballot related stuff.

I feel like they announced Isabelle on the last Direct just to apologize for the lack of solid content like Fire Emblem or Metroid, because honestly, no offense, I don't hate Isabelle or anything like that, but I felt like after watching her trailer, they made it in like 5 minutes and called it a day. Also made me feel it was going for far too long (The damn moment when she gets the letter... why... this was even already used for the Villager but at least it was fast-paced).
Going from Simon's trailer to this sure was something else. :/

But I'm not loosing hope ! Isaac was and STILL IS a very popular character in the Smash Ballot !
I also feel like if such a popular character like him was to be deconfirmed, Sakurai would've done it already (I mean, Waluigi was the first to fall, and we got Ashely afterwards. I don't think Isaac would've waited this long if he was an AT.)

Last edited:

Metocles

Smash Journeyman

I don't even feel that it's optimism. That would be implying that you're 100% fueled by faith or hope that something could occur. At the very least there is evidence here to work with which means that it's a mixture of hope and anticipation.

Would I feel bitter about Isaac if he's not in? Sure, no denying that. But I wouldn't feel bitter about the game at all since Sakurai always puts a quality product out and I've never not enjoyed one of his games. DLC is really getting ahead of ourselves and does a disservice to Ultimate. Sakurai and team have done a fantastic job at closing and locking doors on everything surrounding this game that nothing out there currently is really worthwhile to consider unless it's from official means from Nintendo itself. That includes box art, Vergeben, PushDustin and the entire speculation community.

Right now, there's little information to work with because we don't know the full scope of this game in the least. If we don't even know that, then we have no clue what DLC will be like. We could make a guess at it, but it's better to wait until we find out through Nintendo's mouth. Maybe we get a direct that talks about DLC at game launch to corroborate your theory but maybe Sakurai just blows up every theory once again that we've been writing the gospel on.

It's hard, but I suggest just waiting at this point. Everything that could have been done has been done.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Have we ever gone this long without the blog updating?

Well, we probably have, and having the weekend smack dab in the middle of the drought is just prolonging it and making it seem longer than it is. But still...
Yes, but....

I'm not aware of them waiting hours to post something they already tweeted...

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice

I have to say I agree with this. Unpopular opinion I know, but looking at the way nintendo is marketing this game it makes sense. They put popular characters that casual gamers would enjoy (Isabelle, Inklings, Incineroar possibly) and characters for hardcore smash fans (Ridley, K.Rool, possibly Geno). Sakurai is the guy we all talk about but realistically Sakurai has to answer to other people, and they may tell him who to prioritize for advertising purposes. Not everybody we expect is making the base roster they have to leave room for DLC. Credible leakers are saying only a few characters are left, and it looks like all roads lead to not many characters being left. Again i've said it in another post nintendo has the ballot information so they know what fans want and will use that info to make more money through DLC. I'm not giving up on Isaac, and i'm not telling anyone to give up on him i'm just waiting for DLC. If you expect him in the base roster and he doesn't make it don't lose heart, wait until DLC.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I have to say I agree with this. Unpopular opinion I know, but looking at the way nintendo is marketing this game it makes sense. They put popular characters that casual gamers would enjoy (Isabelle, Inklings, Incineroar possibly) and characters for hardcore smash fans (Ridley, K.Rool, possibly Geno). Sakurai is the guy we all talk about but realistically Sakurai has to answer to other people, and they may tell him who to prioritize for advertising purposes. Not everybody we expect is making the base roster they have to leave room for DLC. Credible leakers are saying only a few characters are left, and it looks like all roads lead to not many characters being left. Again i've said it in another post nintendo has the ballot information so they know what fans want and will use that info to make more money through DLC. I'm not giving up on Isaac, and i'm not telling anyone to give up on him i'm just waiting for DLC. If you expect him in the base roster and he doesn't make it don't lose heart, wait until DLC.
The one thing that I'm looking for is no AT (not much GS content in general but especially no AT). That sets off too many red flags for me and tells me Isaac will be playable at some point, given his probable ballot success to at least earn his AT back. Even if he's not in the base game, no AT is a win in my book and a sign of things to come.

Given that three directs have passed with no AT and Gray Fox is another old AT that was announced, the chance of it appearing is pretty low at this point.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I think we still have a shot at base roster. Even if it turns out to be true that we won't have many newcomers left, Isaac still has a lot on his side, with the ballot results, the reactions to tweet, the trademark premature renewal and the reactions to said trademark renewal. He is the most popular choice left from the ballot, he has one of the biggest and most loyal fandoms out of the Smash community right now and Sakurai at this point has to know this. Even if just by Twitter. And I can't stress this enough but Sakurai doesn't like putting people hopes up to crush them (which for me is the reason to have deconfirmed important contenders as AT like Alucard, Waluigi, Ashley, Shovel Knight, Zero and Bomberman) and he tweeted the Rathalos image and has the people reactions right there at the grasp of his and his team's hands. Assuming he doesn't check but his official media, that is still huge (and judging by the fact he says he is going to be unable to answer questions I think he or someone on the team does check up regularly)

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
The one thing that I'm looking for is no AT (not much GS content in general but especially no AT). That sets off too many red flags for me and tells me Isaac will be playable at some point, given his probable ballot success to at least earn his AT back. Even if he's not in the base game, no AT is a win in my book and a sign of things to come.

Given that three directs have passed with no AT and Gray Fox is another old AT that was announced, the chance of it appearing is pretty low at this point.
In regards to this, I find it interesting that the game is said to have 50+ Assist Trophies. Since 40 are revealed, that's up to 19 more before it would actually be 60+, right? There's 22 unconfirmed veteran assist trophies. If we assumed all of them were either coming back or being upgraded to fighter / boss (this game is supposed to be Ultimate, after all), there'd be 3 or more being upgraded in some form. Shadow, Skull Kid, and Isaac perhaps?

Mind you this doesn't mean anything since the number of ATs could also easily end up actually being 60+, or they could become some other element of gameplay or even be cut, but I thought it was interesting enough to bring up.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
In regards to this, I find it interesting that the game is said to have 50+ Assist Trophies. Since 40 are revealed, that's up to 19 more before it would actually be 60+, right? There's 22 unconfirmed veteran assist trophies. If we assumed all of them were either coming back or being upgraded to fighter / boss (this game is supposed to be Ultimate, after all), there'd be 3 or more being upgraded in some form. Shadow, Skull Kid, and Isaac perhaps?

Mind you this doesn't mean anything since the number of ATs could also easily end up actually being 60+, or they could become some other element of gameplay or even be cut, but I thought it was interesting enough to bring up.
Makes sense. "Everyone is Here!" could perhaps double for the ATs (except for upgrades, of course) and we wouldn't even know. However, there will likely still a few new ATs that could increase the number to 60+ or actually indicate that a few ATs will return in different roles or be absent altogether.

All I can confirm is you're right. Isabelle's Today's Figher is 136. Blog Post 135 is missing.
Interesting. I know you theorized that if Isabelle's next post was #136, it could mean that somebody was pulled from the direct.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. I know you theorized that if Isabelle's next post was #136, it could mean that somebody was pulled from the direct.
So... In both the JP and US blog one post is missing? Does this mean someone else was meant to be announced too?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
So... In both the JP and US blog one post is missing? Does this mean someone else was meant to be announced too?
It's possible. We can't say for sure without knowing exactly what the missing post is but it's a possibility.

Last edited:

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
It just came to me... If Isaac were to be revealed, it would be at the start of a smash direct right? He's from an unrepresented series and will mosy likely bring a stage with him so they would have to go in detail right? Unless they've done something like that for another newcomer with a stage in 4.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
It just came to me... If Isaac were to be revealed, it would be at the start of a smash direct right? He's from an unrepresented series and will mosy likely bring a stage with him so they would have to go in detail right? Unless they've done something like that for another newcomer with a stage in 4.
Well with Wii U all of the newcomers with stages only had a trailer. But then there are far more newcomers to that game than Ultimate.

And it is understandable why Inklings didn't due to their even greater honor of being the announcement of Ultimate itself

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Wtf, I come back and see 35 alerts, I think something big happened but no, it's just you all who enjoyed my ****ty meme xD

Let's try not to convince ourselves that Isaac must be at X or Y point of a direct, or else we're gonna have one hell of an emotionnal rollercoaster during the directs.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think Babi's Theme perfectly sums up the general tone around here sometimes.
But really what I wanted to do was post Babi's Theme, since it's one of my favourites.

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
Duuuuuuuuuuude that Djinn.

So ya know that whole "Everyone is here" thing? I'm thinking that might transfer to every Assist Trophy as well. They'll be in in one form or another. We're only missing what, 15 assist trophies from the previous two iterations?
That Djinn has the epic "activating ability eyes" the artwork is so dynamic and the style and pose are so awesome!!

That's how I felt about everyone is here, but I still got a good feeling that Isaac in as a playable character. I feel a big direct coming our way. Also, it's not like Sakurai to go out of his way to tease a Golden Sun reference for an assist trophy. The tweet he did at least.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
That Djinn has the epic "activating ability eyes" the artwork is so dynamic and the style and pose are so awesome!!

That's how I felt about everyone is here, but I still got a good feeling that Isaac in as a playable character. I feel a big direct coming our way. Also, it's not like Sakurai to go out of his way to tease a Golden Sun reference for an assist trophy. The tweet he did at least.
The way they teased the "spirits" mode is clear as day we have another huge Smash Direct on the way. There are many modes they have yet to reveal or reconfirm so that as well makes it clear a big Direct is on the way

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
The Green Mode, that thing on the ZR Panel, how online effects smash ult, potential additional single player modes, stuff in the vault, potential song/stage reveals, more character reveals, more item reveals, more assist trophy reveals, more pokeball mon reveals.
Uhh... am I missing anything?

Tetiro

Smash Ace
The Green Mode, that thing on the ZR Panel, how online effects smash ult, potential additional single player modes, stuff in the vault, potential song/stage reveals, more character reveals, more item reveals, more assist trophy reveals, more pokeball mon reveals.
Uhh... am I missing anything?
Also got potentially Smash Run and Smash Tour, the Online Mode as well. The sheer amount left to show is too large.

I'm starting to think we will be getting another 50-Fact scenario where it reveals so much

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to think we will be getting another 50-Fact scenario where it reveals so much
That would be really interesting, knowing how hyped are we I think it's one of the best way to keep it, showing a lot of new things one after other.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also got potentially Smash Run and Smash Tour, the Online Mode as well. The sheer amount left to show is too large.

I hope so, hearing Xander is always fun. Plus it would compensate for this month having shown literally nothing else after Isabelle.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Smash 4 and Ultimate are in way different ball parks. It was based on recency and promotion and it wasn't just Isaac who didn't make it in, neither did Ridley, K. Rool, Bandana Dee etc. any of the big fandom juggernauts. Now going into this game, where Isaac has way more in his favor, fan favorites from the ballot, Ridley and K. Rool making it in after being denied (Sakurai even saying last year how Ridley wouldn't work), Geno nearly guaranteed as the Square Enix rep Verge mentioned etc.

If Isaac misses out on this game, and isn't considered till DLC, that'll be way worst than 4. The only thing in 4 pointing to Isaac was a missing assist trophy, but that roster didn't compliment many long requested favorites. If Isaac's not in base, it'll feel like our votes meant nothing. Of course it'll be nice to get Isaac either way, but I want Isaac in the base, not after the game is out and we're still hear waiting to know when DLC will even start to be a thing and still waiting cause we don't know whether Isaac will be the first character or the fifth.

Top Bottom