• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Yeah a part of me was thinking how it'd be kind of crazy if the Square character ended up being Terra from the Neogaf leak since Verg is being a bit vague by not outright stating the character. But now that Sakurai has stated that he's referring to the ballot, characters he has listed like Terra and Prince Sable start to seem less likely. Another theory of mine is that Neogaf leaker could intentionally be mixing fake with real to not get caught as easily, well if he has a real source anyways at least lol.

There is that whole situation with Galacta Knight being an echo but Meta Knight still having the alt, even the little unique design in the mask. Whereas other colors like Ike's 'Chrom' one and Dark Samus have disappeared as options. I think that's one of the reasons a lot of people have been claiming it as debunked, aside from Soren seeming like one of those characters that are hard to believe.

Though in general I find it hard to get behind leaks that list a roster of characters as it seems Sakurai has made some changes to prevent things from getting leaked as easily so I don't see Ultimate having a 'Gematsu' type of leak and why even Verg is talking in pieces here and there and confirming his sources instead of just giving this full list of characters.
Technically the two different leaks were made by two different accounts, so they could have been different people. The original only said Simon, K. Rool, Isaac, Chrom (as an echo of Roy), Soren, Ken, no new Pokemon, no new LoZ characters, and a new Final Fantasy/Square Enix character.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Ok but let's say a 4th party character got into Smash. Does it really mean anyone can make it? I guess you could claim it allows people to request whoever they want but they do anyway. I highly doubt this doomsday scenario of Smash becoming Mugen will happen mostly because the barrier to bring in 3rd party game characters is so high why would 4th parties fare any better? Any character CAN be in Smash but that doesn't any character WILL be in Smash.
...Alright. I can't converse with you.

Clearly, you and i are way too different with this.

Sakurai doesn't want licensed non-video game characters. That's the end. Discussion over.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Until he changes his mind on that
Sakurai notes some absurd requests for characters such as Spongebob or Goku. When Tomokazu Sugita (the guy in the middle. He’s the voice actor of Chrom and Takamaru) starts mentioning other absurd characters (Like Segeta Sanshiro), Sakurai says, “There’s always Mii Fighters”.

Right. Good luck.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Sakurai notes some absurd requests for characters such as Spongebob or Goku. When Tomokazu Sugita (the guy in the middle. He’s the voice actor of Chrom and Takamaru) starts mentioning other absurd characters (Like Segeta Sanshiro), Sakurai says, “There’s always Mii Fighters”.

Right. Good luck.
Well, first I don't need luck because whether they get in or not doesn't matter to me at all. Second, he has a history of opinions that change between games. All it takes is for him to see whatever character in a new light or somehow see a character's influence on gaming despite not being a game character and we boom an internet full of people complaining about a non-video game character in Smash. It isn't something I think will happen soon but 2 or 3 games down the line I could see him changing his stance.

BillyBat

Smash Rookie
I saw going around that a lot of the King K. Rool fans sent a thank you letter to Sakurai for their appreciation of the character's inclusion.
If Isaac does come in some shape or form either as an assist, character, or even trophy that we should, as a community, write a thank you message to Sakurai and his team as the K. Rool fans have done. It's our obligation to show our respect and love for what Sakurai has done even if it is a little thing.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Well, first I don't need luck because whether they get in or not doesn't matter to me at all. Second, he has a history of opinions that change between games. All it takes is for him to see whatever character in a new light or somehow see a character's influence on gaming despite not being a game character and we boom an internet full of people complaining about a non-video game character in Smash. It isn't something I think will happen soon but 2 or 3 games down the line I could see him changing his stance.
There's a difference his stance on stuff on Ridley and characters like Goku.

His excuse was that Ridley was "too big".

He doesn't even give an excuse on something like Goku. He just calls it absurd.

I think that itself speaks volumes on how much Sakurai is confident on this stance.

Also, he's said in the past he would only be willing to study video games. And that he's primarily a gamer.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You could see some pretty good examples as well; Villager. He found something. Ridley. He laughed at him being playable. This was his first response to the character, and the notable point is he treated him the same way as Goku and Spongebob. It was during 4's development that had different views. Look where he is now. Yes, the similarity is they're game characters.

But we can't actually guarantee he'll never change his stance. Though it's fair to say it's unlikely, but hey, remember when Smash was just Nintendo All-Stars? Yeah, that was pretty much just the first game. It was to help it sell. In Melee, he outright was perfectly fine with Sonic and Snake getting in, it's just he couldn't put them in due to being too late in development. It's weird, because he dismissed two other 3rd parties due to licensing issues(Banjo & Kazooie and James Bond), though James at least had other issues like guns too, but most of it was licensing. He didn't dismiss these guys. This means he already changed his mind from the first game's goal(to be a Nintendo crossover) within development of the second game. It took one more game to actually throw a 3rd party in as is, which is notable because he already has his original view of the series changed very quickly.

The idea he can change his view of the series again? Not impossible. Plus, considering his whole point is gaming history, licensed games(which if it weren't for them, there would be no reason R.O.B. would exist, a very important piece of gaming history) are no less part of it. Obviously anybody expecting a Madden character if Goku were to get in is being ridiculous. There's good reasons it won't happen, and it isn't because they didn't originate in a game. They're simply real life people and nothing more. This is not a fictional character to work with. He has to outright okay it with a real life person to let them be beat up, and also justify beating up real life people. Fictional characters, coincidentally, aren't in this category when it comes to issues. Any can potentially be beaten up without a problem(though some won't get in due to that reason alone. Frisk from Undertale is a deliberate no from Toby Fox due to the point of his character being a pacifist. This issue will pop up from time to time).

Last edited:

Yoshi444

Smash Apprentice
I saw going around that a lot of the King K. Rool fans sent a thank you letter to Sakurai for their appreciation of the character's inclusion.
If Isaac does come in some shape or form either as an assist, character, or even trophy that we should, as a community, write a thank you message to Sakurai and his team as the K. Rool fans have done. It's our obligation to show our respect and love for what Sakurai has done even if it is a little thing.
We would need an artist to draw Sakurai and our golden boi, a japanese/english translator and lots of support on Twitter. We can do it guys.

Mav485

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1504-7090-2374
Switch FC
SW 7228 3594 2505
We would need an artist to draw Sakurai and our golden boi, a japanese/english translator and lots of support on Twitter. We can do it guys.
I forget who did it, but I think the art style used by the guy who made the Isaac as Drake meme would be great for this project.

Edit: I think I was beat to it. StoicSeraphim is the guy, I do believe.

Last edited:

Yoshi444

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I just realized something.

Splatoon got like over 20 songs. And all they have is 2 entries.

Do you guys think we'll get about as much or even more?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I just realized something.

Splatoon got like over 20 songs. And all they have is 2 entries.

Do you guys think we'll get about as much or even more?
There's been an emphasis on new franchises getting tons of songs, so I think 15-25 is the realistic range for Golden Sun.

Would be an incredible step-up from the whopping 2 that Smash 4 had which is still just as much as Final Fantasy got

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
This song took forever to find for some reason. Would be another nice one to get updated and used.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
It's possible we can get alot of songs if majority of them are direct ports from the original games which I won't mind considering how good the sound quality is for the Golden Sun games. I at least want a remix for Isaac's Battle Theme and Saturos' Battle theme

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
While I'm perfectly fine with having the ost being ported over I would still love to hear as many remixes as possible because the guys who make music for smash are WILD and they'll definitely make great songs even better no doubt

KMDP

Smash Legend
And such a bad one. Licensed games are a giant part of gaming history. A good example is the E.T. game. It's partially responsible for the gaming crash, before the NES was created. The one R.O.B. had to rescue the world from, essentially. The other game was the terrible Pac-Man Atari port. It was so terrible it was the only other game buried with E.T.

This is an example of a game that helped shape gaming history. A negative bit, but still a huge part of it.
So what you're saying is you want ET for Smash.
Sora appeared in Nintendo games at least while Cloud ... why is he here again ?
Games on Nintendo Consoles that Cloud has appeared in:
  1. Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
  2. Theatrythm: Final Fantasy
  3. Theatrythm: Final Fantasy Curtain Call
He's had Nintendo appearances, just not major ones.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So what you're saying is you want ET for Smash.
If we're going for major and important characters among non-game 3rd parties? Yeah, he deserves it for shaping history as we know it. He's pretty much up there with Goku, Mickey Mouse, and Popeye for actual important non-game 3rd parties. Well, I want Captain N too, but despite being owned by Nintendo, it won't matter without a game appearance before he can remotely have a chance of getting in.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If we're going for major and important characters among non-game 3rd parties? Yeah, he deserves it for shaping history as we know it. He's pretty much up there with Goku, Mickey Mouse, and Popeye for actual important non-game 3rd parties. Well, I want Captain N too, but despite being owned by Nintendo, it won't matter without a game appearance before he can remotely have a chance of getting in.
An idea...

Four items.

A Phone, which calls in a Space Ship to abduct you someone shortly after it's use.
A Bag of Marbles which you throw individually, when they hit enemies it stuns them for a bit. (I liked Mickey Mania)
A Can of Spinach, when picked up your attack power doubles temporarily.
A Bean, when eaten your HP restores to full (whatever that means relative to the game mode).

COMPROMISE!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
An idea...

Four items.

A Phone, which calls in a Space Ship to abduct you shortly after it's use.
A Bag of Marbles which you throw individually, when they hit enemies it stuns them for a bit. (I liked Mickey Mania)
A Can of Spinach, when picked up your attack power doubles temporarily.
A Bean, when eaten your HP restores to full (whatever that means relative to the game mode).

COMPROMISE!
It took me like 30 seconds to get most of them. Marbles I don't recognize the joke from.

-------------

That said? Yeah, this is heavily my bad but we've been severely off-topic here at times. This isn't a place for "non-game 3rd parties". Then again, there is no proper thread for that, technically. Either way, probably best to stop talking about it.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It took me like 30 seconds to get most of them. Marbles I don't recognize the joke from.

-------------

That said? Yeah, this is heavily my bad but we've been severely off-topic here at times. This isn't a place for "non-game 3rd parties". Then again, there is no proper thread for that, technically. Either way, probably best to stop talking about it.
Marbles were Mickey Mouse's main wea-... only weapon in Mickey Mania (sometimes also known as Mickey's Wild Adventure).

Good game by Traveller's Tales for the SNES, Genesis and Playstation. Could get pretty hard though.

Anyway, per your suggestion, we have all deviated wildly off-topic, and this should be nipped in the bud.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was thinking last night about an Isaac reveal trailer and I figured I would share it with you guys. Strap in this will be long.

The trailer starts with Pit and Robin walking through the Venus lighthouse. Robin is looking at the design of the lighthouse and making notes in a small book. Whiles Pit is running around exploring the Lighthouse with excitement in his eyes. Pit discovers the lift and calls Robin over. Robin and Pit reach the top of the lighthouse, and Robin continues to make notes in his book. Pit notices a shadow race across the ground, as his expression changes from excitement to battle ready. The figure creating the shadow jumps towards Pit as he turns around to block the incoming attack with his bow. Pit quickly separates his bow into dual blades. The figure is revealed to be Saturos as he engages in combat with Pit. Robin notices that Pit is in trouble and pulls out a thunder tome and a bronze sword. Robin begins charging his tome as he notices Menardi quickly approaching him. Robin tries to put distance between himself and Menardi, but she closes the distance. Meanwhile Saturos is trading sword strikes with Pits dual blades. Saturos jumps away from pit and casts fireball. Pit deflects the fire ball with his guardian orbiters. Pit looks at Robin struggling to defend himself from Menardi's onslaught with concern in his eyes. Robin fires thoron at Menardi, but she dodges and swings her scythe at him. Robin barley dodges and his bronze sword and thunder tome are cut in half. Robins falls to the ground and begins to crawl away from Menardi in fear. Pit readies and arrow, but before he can fire he notices another fireball from Saturos and is forced to dodge. Menardi walks over to Robin and readies her scythe. As she is about to swing her scythe she notices and incoming attack. Ragnarok crashes in front of Robin as Menardi jumps back, regrouping with Saturos.

The fighting stops as a figure walks towards the conflict. The fighters all look at the approaching figure, but are unable to make out the person because of the sun in the background (similar to how King DDD looked when he was disguised as K. Rool ). The figure approaches as his scarf flutters in the wind. As he gets closer the figure pulls the Gaia blade off of his back and says "I'll handle these guys". As he comes into view the tagline "Isaac shakes the stage" appears on screen. Isaac then gets a gameplay montage similar to Simon Belmont, with a remix of his battle theme playing in the background. As the montage ends Pit, Robin (now with a fire tome) and, Isaac all rush Saturos and Menardi. Noticing the increasingly worse situation Saturos pulls out the Venus star and throws it into the lighthouse. A bright light erupts out of the lighthouse as it starts to shake violently . Pit jumps into the air and uses his wings to fly briefly. Isaac creates a stone pillar and holds onto it to keep his footing. Robin looses his footing and falls into the Venus lighthouse (someone has to die in these trailers am i right). Pit reaches his flight limit and starts getting lower to the ground. Saturos takes advantage of the commotion and knocks Pit off of the Lighthouse leaving Isaac in a 1 v 2 situation. The lighthouse reassembles and the duo waste no time attacking Isaac. As Isaac is fending off the duo he looses his footing and falls onto his back. Saturos and Menardi fire a powerful fire attack while Isaac is down. Before he is hit a stone pillar forms from the ground and blocks the attack. Isaac looks back as he is getting up. A figure walks towards Isaac with the Sol blade in his hand. The person says "I thought you were stronger Isaac". The figure is revealed to be Felix and the tagline "Felix ........ does something" (honestly it was pretty hard coming up with a second tagline) appears on screen. Felix also gets a gameplay montage similar to Richter, as a remix of his theme plays in the background. Isaac and Felix rush Saturos and Menardi as the smash ultimate logo appears on screen. The trailer ends with Pit using his up B to get back to the top of the lighthouse, only to find the conflict over with Isaac and Felix already gone.

I know some of this doesn't make sense in Golden Sun canon, but since it would be a smash trailer I figured it wouldn't matter.
Cool idea. Though it wouldn't make much sense obscuring Isaac with the sun since the second Saturos showed up we'd know who it was.

Though I guess the same was true for K. Rool.

Really I'd probably end up recognising the architecture of Venus Lighthouse the second the trailer started. Or if there were any "mysterious" psynergy sounds it'd give the game away.

Last edited:

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Okay let's get back on topic! Does Isaac actually have a good chance or are we delusional? It seems to me that any smash related video or tweet I read the comments for, characters like bandana dee/geno/skull kid/banjo are much more frequently mentioned than Isaac. Now obviously that means nothing to the results of the ballot but I'm curious to see what you guys think

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay let's get back on topic! Does Isaac actually have a good chance or are we delusional? It seems to me that any smash related video or tweet I read the comments for, characters like bandana dee/geno/skull kid/banjo are much more frequently mentioned than Isaac. Now obviously that means nothing to the results of the ballot but I'm curious to see what you guys think
Why Question Man, don't you see? He has a good chance and we're delusional.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Both, he have good chance, I would say a 50/50, and of course we are delusional! We're the biggest yet to be confirmed community in Smashboards! who we couldn't be delusional?

bassem6

Smash Lord
I think Isaac has better chances than all of those characters. Isaac has had a steady fan demand since pre-brawl. Bandana dee and skull kid were not as desired as Isaac since back then. You could argue they are equally as popular as him now which is probably true but there's something to be said about Isaac's consistent popularity.

Geno and banjo are both 3rd party and I think they would make for great final reveals or DLC but I think Isaac has better chances of being a part of the base roster. Specifically between Isaac and Geno it's harder to say who has more demand because Geno had demand during the pre-brawl days too AND had a mii costume made for him.

The best thing Isaac has going for him is the Sakurai tweet IMO. Assuming that was a GS reference (I don't see what else it could have possibly been as Sakurai doesn't just randomly tweet smash related stuff) then he is the only character out of all the ones you mentioned with decently hinted evidence.

The chairs and pillow were an okay hint for skull kid I suppose but I don't put those on the same level as the tweet which MANY fans of golden sun recognized as the camelot angle soon after it was posted. The sun and moon "hints" from the direct I think are not actually hints but people looking way too deeply into typical aesthetic choices for castlevania and donkey kong.

Personally I'd say Isaac has an 80% chance of being in (50% chance of Felix echo). Geno= 33%, Skull kid= 50%, Bandana dee= 25% and Banjo/kazooie= 20% chance base with 35% chance DLC. I've been wanting Isaac since brawl and following character demand closely prior to the release of every smash and I honestly think we are getting Isaac this time.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Speaking of the purple and yellow chairs, I saw someone suggest that they could be hinting at Rayman (hair + body) and now I'm really questioning if Skull Kid is being hinted at all.

Top Bottom