• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Well it's good to know the music remained consistent

Can I ask, what was so bad about Dark Dawn anyway? Please enlighten me
Well, from a creative standpoint, it certainly feels way less interesting than the first two. (The beginning and the plot kinda start pretty averagely too.)

And the points of no return really restricted your free roaming exploration.

I mean, the gameplay was good on the battles. There were some good summons here as well. But puzzles were much weaker than the previous entries.

As i said, it's not a bad game. But just a "average" golden sun game. A game that couldn't sustain the 8 years of hype.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

Not that this was a big deal but I personally didn't like all of the points of no returns. It made me nuts with Djinn collecting as I wanted to make sure I found everyone before moving on.

Also minor but I ended up losing my Dark Dawn cartridge for a long while and when I finally found it again, I literally forgot what I was supposed to do. I think it was just after a big exposition scene so I was completely lost, I had to start the game over again lol.

Inb4 someone mentions that there was a log or something to remind you what to do as I'll look like a big idiot for not noticing that lol

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Well, from a creative standpoint, it certainly feels way less interesting than the first two. (The beginning and the plot kinda start pretty averagely too.)

And the points of no return really restricted your free roaming exploration.

I mean, the gameplay was good on the battles. There were some good summons here as well. But puzzles were much weaker than the previous entries.

As i said, it's not a bad game. But just a "average" golden sun game. A game that couldn't sustain the 8 years of hype.
Ahhh so it was like Wild Arms 2. Like the original but just not as good?

I didn't like the PoNR either

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Nothing bad about Dark Dawn, per say, it just didn't live up to its predecessors. The game on its own is still really good. One of the better JRPGs on the DS at the time. What hurt it was its "Points of No Return", being relatively easy, and the story felt like it was all over the place.

But the biggest part that hurt the game was its marketing. Not many knew it even came out and because it came out around the end of the DS lifespan, it hurt its sales. If it came out on the 3DS instead, things would have been a lot different.

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord
I wonder what an "updated" Isaac design would look like.

I could imagine Sakurai preferring Matthew over Isaac just for the design. Matthew looks great!

ZelDan

Smash Master
One big issue I had with Dark Dawn was that of all 8 playable characters from the first 2 games, only 2 of them showed up in Dark Dawn (Isaac and Garet). Even then though, Isaac and Garet got shoved aside very early on once you got past the intro part. I know that Camelot was planning sequels past DD, so I could maybe understand 1 or 2 characters not showing up, but 6? I was especially disappointed that we didn't get to atleast see Jenna, considering that we learn her and Isaac get married and that Jenna is Matthew's mother. It really sucks that we never had a chance to see how much of a milf loving, caring mother Jenna turned out to be.

YwhaletailY

Smash Rookie
Adding these as reminders to the community about how relevant Golden Sun is as a series to Nintendo. GS and TLA were featured on both GBA and the SP box arts respectively. Golden Sun was seen as one of the heavy hitters at the time. How quickly the naysayers have forgotten. The Sun will rise again.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Adding these as reminders to the community about how relevant Golden Sun is as a series to Nintendo. GS and TLA were featured on both GBA and the SP box arts respectively. Golden Sun was seen as one of the heavy hitters at the time. How quickly the naysayers have forgotten. The Sun will rise again.
Seeing this reminds me of how the first Golden Sun game was the first game I played when I got my Gameboy Advance SP. It was nice that Nintendo finally gave us a handheld with a backlight so I didn't have to huddle next to a lamp all the time.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Seeing this reminds me of how the first Golden Sun game was the first game I played when I got my Gameboy Advance SP. It was nice that Nintendo finally gave us a handheld with a backlight so I didn't have to huddle next to a lamp all the time.
I remeber i got the original Gameboy Advanced model awhile back.

I actively cringed looking at a lightless screen.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I think Sakurai would put Matthew design based on Isaac... Roy got updated similar to his Awakening appearance right?

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Some other common complaints I typically see for Dark Dawn is not being able to explore as much as the overworld map would have you believe. Didn't make sense for most players that you could only explore the right side of the world map from Lost Age, and, even then, there weren't nearly as many points of interests and towns to explore.

The other one is that at a certain point, the game flings you out into nothing with very little direction as to what to do next. It doesn't help that in conjunction with that, you get a bad taste of PoNR early on, so you become 100X more frantic in exploring things. You basically don't know if you'll lock yourself off again because you went and met a character too early or destroyed some ancient civilization by listening to Kraden for too long.

Maybe because of limitations at the time too, there were far less psynergy to use in dungeons outside battle. The original GS had something like 14 - Move, Catch, Carry, Lift, Frost, Douse, Force, Whirlwind, Mind Read, Reveal, Ply, Cloak, Growth, Halt. The game would slowly introduce them to you and then put them in the puzzle elements. Lost Age added on top of that even with more interesting stuff. Everyone's favorite Sand, to name one. Dark Dawn took a step back on that quite a bit for some reason, and that's why the puzzling elements weren't as in depth. Or at least that's why they didn't feel that way.

With the bad, there was good though. Individualized Djinni sprites, characters will keep on attacking even if the enemy wasn't selected, fantastic looking summons and sword releases. Good looking enemy sprites and animations when you defeat them and hit them. Unique playable characters that people wanted - like a pure mage Venus Adept and a fun half-animal Jupiter adept. I mean, even though people talk bad about Dark Dawn, the same people will talk about how much they love Sveta or Himi. The problem ultimately, is that people didn't expect it to be GS1 all over again, which spiritually it was. It was the prologue to what was supposed to be the big bang in the next game.

There were too many hints all throughout the game to clue in on that. Treasure chests you could never access but could actually see. The feel and scope of the story and places you went to. Setting up of various places you never ultimately went. The parallels are just too many to name.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I think Sakurai would put Matthew design based on Isaac... Roy got updated similar to his Awakening appearance right?
Looking at the vast differences I think Sakurai would keep it classic. Like Pac-Man or Cloud.

Some characters get better designs. Some nailed it with the original. The original was perfect for Isaac

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Maybe. As much as I would like that it seems a little soon. It hasn't even been two weeks since the last reveal.

I hear a lot about Golden Sun being popular in Italy/Spain. Is it also popular in Germany?
Sorry for that late reply, this thread's just literally booming and I can't keep up with it.
To answer your question: yes Golden Sun definetely is pretty popular in Germany. Most of the older players on German websites want Isaac in Smash. And I even remember pretty big advertisement stations in the bigger electronic markets back when Golden Sun Dark Dawn was released. But I have to admit that the more important Nintendo countries in Europe are France and the UK, so better don't count only on data from Italy, Spain or Germany.

Btw did I hear that many companies think that the Gamescom is going to be more important for them than the E3 which could mean we could get more important future announcements on there soon. Still I wouldn't expect getting any new important Smash relating announcement especially because of the recent direct.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
This might sound pretty strange to ask at this point, but do you guys think that even though I've been unable to play the classic Golden Sun games due to not owning or finding them that supporting Isaac/Felix based off gameplay I've seen on YouTube is still valid? I honestly wish I could of played them when I was younger, but they weren't on my mind at the time along with being at a young age, so I didn't think to play or consider them.

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
This might sound pretty strange to ask at this point, but do you guys think that even though I've been unable to play the classic Golden Sun games due to not owning or finding them that supporting Isaac/Felix based off gameplay I've seen on YouTube is still valid? I honestly wish I could of played them when I was younger, but they weren't on my mind at the time along with being at a young age, so I didn't think to play or consider them.
Don't worry about not having played them yet. If you do find the time though, you could play them on the Wii U virtual console.

Last edited:

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
It really sucks that we never had a chance to see how much of a milf loving, caring mother Jenna turned out to be.
Oh dude I know that feeling. Jenna was my first crush ever when I was a kid. I mean she's pretty <3

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I remember finding my old gameboy advance a few years back, switching it on and wondering if it was actually on it was that dark.

I honestly don't remember how I managed to see anything on that horrendous screen.

It's probably why I need glasses now....

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
In that case there are other ways...
I might have one idea in trying to find some original cartridges from a store (I do recall going to one that had the original game at least back when I got Super Mario Odyssey), but we'll see if that works out.

Last edited:

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
Wait wait wait... Brawl in the Family is a different comic series than Awkward Zombie??? And I was like, why did Awkward Zombie delete all her Smash comics?!?! Woohooo gotta read 'em all!

It's perfectly fine! Feel free to support Isaac in any shape and form you like! It's never wrong to play the games though ;-)

Eagle

Smash Lord
I remember finding my old gameboy advance a few years back, switching it on and wondering if it was actually on it was that dark.

I honestly don't remember how I managed to see anything on that horrendous screen.

It's probably why I need glasses now....
Who else had this bad boy for their GBA?
I did and it was ****.

gba_wormlight.jpg

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Sorry for that late reply, this thread's just literally booming and I can't keep up with it.
To answer your question: yes Golden Sun definetely is pretty popular in Germany. Most of the older players on German websites want Isaac in Smash. And I even remember pretty big advertisement stations in the bigger electronic markets back when Golden Sun Dark Dawn was released. But I have to admit that the more important Nintendo countries in Europe are France and the UK, so better don't count only on data from Italy, Spain or Germany.

Btw did I hear that many companies think that the Gamescom is going to be more important for them than the E3 which could mean we could get more important future announcements on there soon. Still I wouldn't expect getting any new important Smash relating announcement especially because of the recent direct.
I think he's still pretty big in france too. At least, that's what i've heard.

But again, DOn't expect anything with gamescom. >->
Don't worry about not having played them yet. If you do find the time though, you could play them on the Wii U virtual console.
Yeah. Like i said, GBA emulation is much easier nowadays than it was in the early 00's.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I did try to play Golden sun and original rhythm heaven again on my phone via emulation because oddly enough I still have my Golden sun 1 and 2 cartridges but not my GBA ... Sadly theres a really annoying frame-rate and sound issue.
Also tried on WiiU but I seriously hate playing on the gamepad.
Guess I'll wait for better ports or remakes.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
They took down all the big emulation sites though didn't they? Are there any big sites that still have first party Nintendo games? Asking for a friend.....

Oh yeah I was watching that nintendo indie presentation thing and at the end they said "stay tuned for more info on upcoming games very soon" or something like that. And based on the context it wasn't just referring to indie games, looks like they might announce a general direct soon!

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I just got an idea if GS4 could ever become a thing.

It follows the main cast of GS1, as adults.

The plot? Finding where their missing children could have gone, as they had not returned for a couple of weeks. The story will be about the 4 adults finding their children, while also discovering the harsher side of reality of being both an adult, and a parent.

Sub-plots can also be introduced, as the main plot seems loose enough to incorporate such a structure. (Like Paper Mario,)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Why not. There's people supporting characters just because they like certain things about them. Trust me there's tons who aren't as deep of fans.
But if you dive deeper.

And also.. there are other ways to access the games, you know?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Who else had this bad boy for their GBA?
I did and it was ****.

View attachment 158849
I had something like that (still do); it had a L-shaped plug so you could still use link cables while also using the light.

It was still ****, though.

My GBA SP's battery blew up (by which I mean it expanded, not exploded) so I'd need to get a replacement battery for it if I ever want to use it again.

Also, my sister and I had one of those weird add-ons for the original Gameboys which not only had a light in it, but also had a magnifying glass.

I think it was this?

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
It seems like Isaac is getting into more and more fan-made roasters.
People are saying Sun (Isaac) Moon (Skull Kid) Stars (Geno) for smash, which is really cool. Gamefaqs is still a garbage dump.
Oh man, I remember this! Brings back memories

Top Bottom