• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I don't want to come off as offensive, but what is with all the hype around Issac? I know that he could have a very unique fighter, but tons of characters could be equally and more unique than Issac.
Well actually no other character can do what Isaac can do so I mean there's no way for other characters to be more unique

Last edited:

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
I was just wanting some input. My personal thoughts were that he was just getting extremely lucky guesses. I'm sure of that. He didn't say they were leaks of any form. Just purely speculation that he happened to get right. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I'm wasn't saying Issac couldn't be unique, I'm just saying I don't get the massive hype surrounding him.
I mean you did say characters could be more unique which just isn't possible. But the hype around him isn't that complex he's just another character people have been wanting since Brawl so the fact he looks likely is making tons of people excited.

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
I mean you did say characters could be more unique which just isn't possible. But the hype around him isn't that complex he's just another character people have been wanting since Brawl so the fact he looks likely is making tons of people excited.
Fair enough, but by "more unique", I meant characters that would completely stand out and not have to have the neutral special be a projectile and the down b being a counter. (Not saying Issac would apply to this)

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Fair enough, but by "more unique", I meant characters that would completely stand out and not have to have the neutral special be a projectile and the down b being a counter. (Not saying Issac would apply to this)
Honestly my friend I'd really suggest you play his game it's the fastest way to understand why he's wanted and why we are very confident that he will be unlike any character in Smash before.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I'm wasn't saying Issac couldn't be unique, I'm just saying I don't get the massive hype surrounding him.
Golden Sun is one of the biggest Nintendo owned IPs not in Smash. The series has been inactive for eight years now and Isaac was a big name for the ballot so the fact that we could see this amazing series back in the spotlight is exciting. Isaac fights using venus psynergy which is basically earthbending and plant attacks. Controlling earth is a niche that hasn't been filled by Smash yet so that easily makes Isaac more unique. There are also alot of new spells he can get from creatures called djinn that are divided into the four elements and can be set, mixed and set on stand by for new class changes, summons and spells. Isaac also uses utility psynergy which utilises a giant floating green hand which you may recognize from his assist trophy from Brawl. The weapons he fights with also have special critical attacks called unleashes which have special spells designated to them.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't want to come off as offensive, but what is with all the hype around Issac? I know that he could have a very unique fighter, but tons of characters could be equally and more unique than Issac.
People don’t like those characters as much, apparently.

Or the ones they want are in the game. :ultkrool:

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
You need to know Isaac will stand out.

You have generations of Nintendo fans. Smash caters to all of the generations
Nes - Wii U

Isaac has a huge following having a very successful JRPG which got many people into JRPGS from the GBA

Look at polls spanning from Brawl, people wanted Isaac for a long time.

If you are a new age Nintendo fan, Bandanna Dee, Ashley, Rex and tit sword are picks from that generation
If you are someone who grew up with the Nes or Snes you like seeing old school characters

For people who grew up with the GBA era, Isaac is a fighter

Roy and Mother 3 are both Japan only

So Isaac would be the first worldwide GBA figher

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
Just as a little side note, Issac's name in Japan is Robin, so to avoid confusion in the east Sakuri might, and I mean MIGHT, not put him in. But after all, Everyone is Here.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Golden Sun is one of the biggest Nintendo owned IPs not in Smash. The series has been inactive for eight years now and Isaac was a big name for the ballot so the fact that we could see this amazing series back in the spotlight is exciting. Isaac fights using venus psynergy which is basically earthbending and plant attacks. Controlling earth is a niche that hasn't been filled by Smash yet so that easily makes Isaac more unique. There are also alot of new spells he can get from creatures called djinn that are divided into the four elements and can be set, mixed and set on stand by for new class changes, summons and spells. Isaac also uses utility psynergy which utilises a giant floating green hand which you may recognize from his assist trophy from Brawl. The weapons he fights with also have special critical attacks called unleashes which have special spells designated to them.
The series is also inactive not because of Dark Dawns sales but because Camalot does not know what the hell to do with the series.

The best bet is to reboot it with a remake/remaster or hand it off.

Golden Sun was Nintendo's JRPG before Xeno

(Pokemon too but I am talking sense of fantasy JRPG)

Just as a little side note, Issac's name in Japan is Robin, so to avoid confusion in the east Sakuri might, and I mean MIGHT, not put him in. But after all, Everyone is Here.
Robins name is Reflect in Japan. There is no issue

Last edited:

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
He's been wanted in since probably post Melee or so. It's been 17 years. Quite a long time coming like K Rool and Ridley in my opinion. GS is vastly underrated.
If you want a few more examples of what he can do.
He is a Venus adept. They manipulate earth. This isn't limited to just earth manip either. There is also three other adept types. Mercury, Mars, and Jupiter.
Venus (Earth)
Mercury (Ice/Water)
Mars (Fire)
Jupiter (Wind)
And he can use all elements provided his Djinn is set properly. And summon ridiculous attacks like Judgment etc.
Just to supplement what was previously said anyway.
And those same reasons are why Felix could come in as an echo as he does similar things like Isaac.
Watching a video or playing the games would probably help you understand much better the variety he could have. So. Much. Utility. Psynergy.
Edit: Spelling.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Robin’s name is Reflet in Japan. Roy is also a thing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There isn't some uniform trait behind characters that guides their support. People latch on to one or some of the things any given character brings to the table. In Isaac's case, that could be a distinct geokinesis/swordplay moveset, representation for an entire unfairly overlooked franchise, an amiable design, presence of the GS soundtrack or world, maybe because they recognize the fanbase has been at it so very long, or any combination therein. Now it could be that more people expect him, and that bleeds into demand. Look at Skull Kid.

A bit of a strange question. Why is any character supported? Because people like something about them, their series, or their chances.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Robin's name in Japan is Reflet, so I don't think that is a problem in Isaac's way. He has much bigger problems to worry about, like big competitors in the ballot and a lack of relevance.

Last edited:

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Robin's name in Japan is Reflet, so I don't think that is a problem in Isaac's way. He has much bigger problems to worry about, like big competitors in the ballot and a lack of relevance.
If we are talking ballot Isaac is number 1 outside of Japan, if they are going with total votes.

The only thing Isaac has going against him is him not working as a fighter.

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Robin's name in Japan is Reflet, so that won't be a problem. :)

I wonder if Sakurai knows about the backlash of no Isaac AT? You think our voices made it vocal?
Maybe the Smash ballot did
Hopefully he could see the backlash when we got to write a reason for the character's inclusion, that should've shown up on a lot of people's ballots, and I think the ability to write a reason on the ballot is a huge advantage for Isaac fans since there's so many different reasons why Isaac would be a great addition.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
It's not offensive at all, Mr.Beedrill-san.

Golden Sun is a series that has been near and dear to my heart, but I also think that his abilities are different to a lot of the RPG protagonists.

Fire Emblem characters have a lot more slick, and have defensive moves to boot. Mostly sword users.

Shulk uses both his blade to change his attributes, while using swordsman ship.

Isaac is not really a skilled swordsman, nor does the sword function as your proper defense and attack. But rather magicial spells and using the envoirment to his advantage.

I also do think it's mighty time that isaac gets in due to most of his competition out of the way.

But in the end, if you don't understand our love for this character, that's fine. ^^

At the end of the day, all I wanted to get out of voting for Isaac in the ballot was to get Nintendo to acknowledge to franchise again. From Brawl to 4, his representation was deminished to levels I never thought were possible.

At the end, I just want GS to be represented in Smash. Through a trophy, through an assist, through ANYTHING.

And that's why i hype him. ^^

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
If we are talking ballot Isaac is number 1 outside of Japan, if they are going with total votes.

The only thing Isaac has going against him is him not working as a fighter.
Those are just aggregated fanpolls. We can't assume that Isaac was number 1 outside of Japan. He had other notable competitors like Banjo and Geno.

Isaac's potential is probably his strongest point besides his popularity. Sakurai could easily find a way to make him work. Relevance is what seriously hurts him. If Golden Sun had a new game 3 years ago, Isaac would be highly likely for this game.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Robin's name in Japan is Reflet, so that won't be a problem. :)

Hopefully he could see the backlash when we got to write a reason for the character's inclusion, that should've shown up on a lot of people's ballots, and I think the ability to write a reason on the ballot is a huge advantage for Isaac fans since there's so many different reasons why Isaac would be a great addition.

People knew about Isaac being gone in Smash 4. Out of all the trophies to remove.
Sakurai has to see Isaac name.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
On the idea that Isaac isn't unique, let me tell you something: There are dozens if not hundreds of ways to theorycraft an Isaac moveset. Don't believe me? Here's one I made that covers every possible detail for the character, plus Felix, and it gives him an axe with a focus on elemental physical attacks.

Link here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GtHfg_IsSA5BdXg0k-LRpDzKDcuDr1upA2E0Kh808Yk/edit?usp=sharing

There's a lot that this character can do, basically. And nobody else could be quite like him. (shameless plug is shameless btw)

Anyway, there was a discussion earlier about our predictions and maybe wishlists for the rest of the roster? I'll give my prediction, with one wishlist item sprinkled in:

Number 68: Geno
Number 69: Isaac
Number 69e: Felix
Number 70: Skull Kid OR Bandana Dee OR Decidueye

This would round out the roster at an even 70 by the Sakuraicount, which is a nice way to end it when this installment is so numbers-oriented.

Remaining Echo Fighters:
Number 5e: Yarn Yoshi
Number 14e: Dry Bowser
Number 36e: Dixie Kong
Number 38e: Shadow the Hedgehog
Number 64e: Octoling

And the one that I REALLY want to see but I know probably won't happen:
Number 11e: Blaziken

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
On the idea that Isaac isn't unique, let me tell you something: There are dozens if not hundreds of ways to theorycraft an Isaac moveset. Don't believe me? Here's one I made that covers every possible detail for the character, plus Felix, and it gives him an axe with a focus on elemental physical attacks.

Link here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GtHfg_IsSA5BdXg0k-LRpDzKDcuDr1upA2E0Kh808Yk/edit?usp=sharing

There's a lot that this character can do, basically. And nobody else could be quite like him. (shameless plug is shameless btw)

Anyway, there was a discussion earlier about our predictions and maybe wishlists for the rest of the roster? I'll give my prediction, with one wishlist item sprinkled in:

This would round out the roster at an even 70 by the Sakuraicount, which is a nice way to end it when this installment is so numbers-oriented.

Remaining Echo Fighters:

I will give it a read tomorrow! You really put your heart and soul into that!

I like the line up
Seeing that really puts the top 3 in perspective of the "few" fighters we could be getting.

I just think who ever doesn't make it we come together and support em.
So if Isaac is in but Skull Kid is out, we should help em with a future DLC ballot, vice-versa.

Regardless! Good detailed move set!

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

Remaining Echo Fighters:

I really like your idea for Isaac's moveset.

As for the predictions: I'm not too sure if they're going to be like that. I at least want Isaac to be fighter 70. But I'll take what I can get.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
but Robin's name in Japan isn't Robin, it's Reflet.

There's actually no confusion here

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
(If this has been discussed before, my apologies.) Sorry for the wall of text, but it's very interesting.

Earlier today, I came across a "leak" from an email someone got that told them what the Smash Directs and Smash related content will reveal from E3 and onward. It was sent prior to E3, btw. I lost the link unfortunately, but this is what I remembered reading and gathered:

1) Predicts all of E3 and August Direct and saysthat the Sun from the end of K.Rool's trailer and the Moon at the end of the Castlevania trailer is a tease for the next Smash Direct.

2) September Nintendo Online Direct will reveal Prince of Sablé and Dixie Kong is an Echo of Diddy.

3) October Smash Direct will be a Sun and Moon theme and will have Isaac and Matthew as his Echo. Buzzwole will be the new Gen7 Pokemon. Hilda is an Echo of Zelda. Shulk will have an Echo from either Dunban, Cross or Malos.

4) Late November Smash Direct will be 3rd party focus and will have Heihachi, Akuma as an Echo of Ryu. Shadow the Hedgehog will be revealed too(Did not mention he will be an echo at all). And after showing new 3rd party trophies including a Steve trophy from Minecraft, it will reveal Banjo&Kazooie as the last fighter reveal.

Other things it mentioned are the bosses in the new mode: Isabella, Dr. Eggman, Black Knight, M. Bison, and others I've forgotten. No mention of Skull Kid btw.

And finally mentions that 3 other Echos are possible to be in like Blood Falcon, Louie and Ninten. Square-Enix was very greedy about having Cloud added again. Sakurai was extremely lucky to get him in. DLC will be a big thing and Sakurai will not be involved in it as he will work on a new Prince of Sablé reboot.

The most interesting part to me is that it mentions that Felix was considered mostly for Isaac's echo, but Nintendo intervened and wanted Matthew instead. Huh?

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
The most interesting part to me is that it mentions that Felix was considered mostly for Isaac's echo, but Nintendo intervened and wanted Matthew instead. Huh?
I wouldn't buy it. Isabelle being a boss is even more unlikely than Cross being a Shulk echo

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
(If this has been discussed before, my apologies.) Sorry for the wall of text, but it's very interesting.

Earlier today, I came across a "leak" from an email someone got that told them what the Smash Directs and Smash related content will reveal from E3 and onward. It was sent prior to E3, btw. I lost the link unfortunately, but this is what I remembered reading and gathered:

1) Predicts all of E3 and August Direct and says that the Sun from the end of K.Rool's trailer and the Moon at the end of the Castlevania trailer is a tease for the next Smash Direct.

2) September Nintendo Online Direct will reveal Prince of Sablé and Dixie Kong is an Echo of Diddy.

3) October Smash Direct will be a Sun and Moon theme and will have Isaac and Matthew as his Echo. Buzzwole will be the new Gen7 Pokemon. Hilda is an Echo of Zelda. Shulk will have an Echo from either Dunban, Cross or Malos.

4) Late November Smash Direct will be 3rd party focus and will have Heihachi, Akuma as an Echo of Ryu. Shadow the Hedgehog will be revealed too(Did not mention he will be an echo at all). And after showing new 3rd party trophies including a Steve trophy from Minecraft, it will reveal Banjo&Kazooie as the last fighter reveal.

Other things it mentioned are the bosses in the new mode: Isabella, Dr. Eggman, Black Knight, M. Bison, and others I've forgotten. No mention of Skull Kid btw.

And finally mentions that 3 other Echos are possible to be in like Blood Falcon, Louie and Ninten. Square-Enix was very greedy about having Cloud added again. Sakurai was extremely lucky to get him in. DLC will be a big thing and Sakurai will not be involved in it as he will work on a new Prince of Sablé reboot.

thats really weird i mean its nice to have love for Matthew but why not make him an alt and have Felix as well include all 3 if this is true i hope sakurai puts all 3 in

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

1) Predicts all of E3 and August Direct and saysthat the Sun from the end of K.Rool's trailer and the Moon at the end of the Castlevania trailer is a tease for the next Smash Direct.

THat was fake, I think.

D

Deleted member

Dude. Fire Emblem Robin is Reflet in Japan.

Besides, I don't see how Fire Emblem Roy would be kept out due to Koopaling Roy being in, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
The only way I see this making sense is if golden sun 4 is in the works and Matthew is the protagonist, so they would want that for promotional purposes.

Interesting read, but its probably fake

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Prince of Sable automatically made this BS to me.

Like, if we're doing obscure one-and-done characters, Takamaru had a better opportunity, and he was immediately knocked out at E3.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

Like, if we're doing obscure one-and-done characters, Takamaru had a better opportunity, and he was immediately knocked out at E3.
I also seriously doubt Sakurai is working on Prince of Sable.

Or that he wasn't working on Smash DLC.
( FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE.)

?!?!?!

Smash Ace

Isn't Sakurai like in love with prince of Sable though? I could see Sakurai doing that just for his own sake

alguidrag

Smash Ace
just see Smash Flash Isaac he Neutral Special is a "Stun whip" and his Down B is a rock

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Before the Direct on August 8, this thread was 67 pages long.

It's now 158, over double that size.

Didn't think Isaac had that much support before. But in just 10 days you guys have come close to eclipsing the Ashley thread, which before was one of the largest threads here. It'd probably be bigger if she hadn't been deconfirmed, but going from 67 to 158 when it's still up in the air is something I've never heard of.

I got one of my biggest wishes with Dark Samus last week, and boy was that a surprise. Here's hoping you guys get yours.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace

Didn't think Isaac had that much support before. But in just 10 days you guys have come close to eclipsing the Ashley thread, which before was one of the largest threads here. It'd probably be bigger if she hadn't been deconfirmed, but going from 67 to 158 when it's still up in the air is something I've never heard of.

I got one of my biggest wishes with Dark Samus last week, and boy was that a surprise. Here's hoping you guys get yours.
Thanks for the support! I was rooting for dark samus too, can't wait for its amiibo :love:

alguidrag

Smash Ace

Thanks Dark Samus! If everything goes right everyone is here will be happy!

I will just say one thing about this
Neogaf leaker that was right about Chrom being a Roy echo said that Isaac will be playable with Felix as his echo
aaaand he said that Prince sablé would be playable too... so if this have some truth he will get credibility

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Neogaf leaker that was right about Chrom being a Roy echo said that Isaac will be playable with Felix as his echo
aaaand he said that Prince sablé would be playable too... so if this have some truth he will get credibility
Could you link the neogaf leaker/leak in question?

Top Bottom