• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
I've avoided this thread for a while, and I'm not going to lie, I was pretty furious when Piranha Plant was confirmed while Isaac was sent to the Assist Trophy hell again. I was really scared the second Shadow showed up, and I was definitely ticked off that we didn't get our chance this time around.

However I've cooled down considerably now. It's better than Isaac being ignored like last time, but they've definitely made him a lot more interesting this time around. I hope that if there's possibly an Assist Trophy promotion, they recognise that what they've got with Isaac now is just tipping the iceberg of Isaac's potential as a fighter.

It's been an honour to support for Isaac with everyone. Even though we've been dealt a cruel hand, it's better to take a step away and cool off, and try again next time.

I don't know if anyone's posted this before I came here today, but here's a piece of art from the Golden Sun subreddit.

Source https://www.reddit.com/r/GoldenSun/comments/9td8d9/welp/

It's better to think that Plant is wanting to be friendly with Isaac rather than mocking him.

The golden sun will rise again for us one day.
This is how we should do things, fight wtih optimism, positivity and hope! Instead of anger, spite and hate. Let's not let the darkness in our hearts take us! Let's show everyone that we are not the bratty and spiteful fanbase that they may think we are. I understand that Smash is very competitive and can be irritating to the point that you just want to blame someone else and complain. Let's congratulate and show that we are better people and with our heads held high and our hearts staying golden. We shall rise above and eventually we will get the respect that we deserved.

Channel your negativity into passion and optimism, we can do it!! #BringBackTheSun

Ps: I actually like Pirahna Plant and also if there is a Mathew for DLC campaign I will be there.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hey, I see you in the viewer thread. How much longer do we have until the thread gets locked up? I remember the Ridley thread back in the day got really huge and caused plenty of traffic.

If so, would you please give us time to choose a new location to congregate and plan what to do for Golden Sun and Isaac's future?

If not, I understand.
I don’t think there’s any plans to lock this thread just because of a deconfirmation. To my knowledge, support threads like Ashley, Takamaru, and Bomberman are still currently active and open. The only reason why waluigi’s thread was locked was by request of the owner due to negative activity off the site. So yeah, unless this thread breaks the rules, it’s still gonna stay open.

As for Ridley, that was another time, another Smash. And probably some spam and trolling thrown in.

Last edited:

Icana

Smash Apprentice
I thought is was funny when Sakurai revealed Pranha Plant and flat out said "he's not an assist trophy. He's a full fledged fighter!"

Dude knows AT's are underwhelming compared to fighters. And considering some fan favorites were AT's, it kinda hurt. :(

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hey, I see you in the viewer thread. How much longer do we have until the thread gets locked up? I remember the Ridley thread back in the day got really huge and caused plenty of traffic.

If so, would you please give us time to choose a new location to congregate and plan what to do for Golden Sun and Isaac's future?

If not, I understand.
LOL, Ridley thread wasn't closed because he was deconfirmed.

There were PLENTY of other reasons why it was closed

Pakky

Smash Hero
Bros, words cannot express how sorry I am for you all.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Because if they weren't in the game at all (especially Shadow) people would be incredibly suspicious.

"Why isn't Shadow an AT?" "He must be one of the DLC Characters." That's not conducive to surprising reveals.

Calm down, Isaac wasn't made an AT out of malicious intent.
Valuing surprise over actually giving people what they want is how we end up with Piranha Plant.

The only guess I can come up with is that Piranha Plant was likely just a project they liked rather than an indication of popularity or anything. It's basically a joke character, which isn't that rare a concept. That's the only explanation I can think of. Someone liked the idea and they ran with it.
I don’t know. I mean, Sakurai has gone on record stating he likes characters like Geno, Takamaru and Ayumi Tachibana, and they’re nowhere to be seen. Why, of all the possible pet projects, would Piranha Plant actually be the one that makes playable status?

So was K. Rool like the only character used from the Smash Ballot?
Ridley too, maybe. Maybe his popularity was already known.

But yeah, Ballot was a sick joke.

I mainly thought it was closed due to the sheer size of the thread itself and not just the toxicity coming out of it.
You might say it was... too big.

Gimme a break this is the first joke I’ve been able to make since the Direct started.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
My internal reaction to seeing Isaac's AT again...
I just hate that they revealed his assist trophy this close to release. I feel like it’s a cheap tactic to generate hype by leading on a fan base that their character might get in. At least the Waluigi fans got that bandaid ripped off right away.
I'm a big Waluigi fan myself and agree with that. Waiting until the end to show Isaac's AT really stings hard.

I've been busy today and I'm still taking all of this in. I will have a more elaborate post tomorrow. Hang in there fellow Adepts.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
My heart goes out to you guys the most. I know if that was K. Rool in a boss or assist trophy spot, I'd feel betrayed, confused, and angry. Though, honestly I DO feel a bit numb seeing all these fanbases be led on by nothing but fan demand announcements before this direct, only to be told, "No, none of those characters are in, but we did decided to expend development time on a burned bottom of the proverbial rice pot character, Piranha Plant!" It really was a massive tease and I feel they could have at least announced some of them earlier to soften the blow. I'll be rooting for Isaac all the way next time for you guys.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
I AM SOOOOO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS BUT I GUESS SAKURAI THOUGHT IT MORE IMPORTANT TO ADD PIRAHNA PLANT......

Here is a Tip for golden sun fans ORGANIZE yourselfs & get on your twitter, Nintendo America has there twitter set to allow ANYBODY to Direct MSG them TELL THEM HOW YOU FEEL ! cancled pre order let them know, want a new golden sun ? LET THEM KNOW ! it will be anothe 6 to 7 years B4 we get a new smash so GET to work ! (And don't be mean to Nintendo in the Direct MSG just speak your mind)

as for me I'm off to try & get banjo as DLC & fight off that evil steve !

Good luck

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
We’ve never seen it happen in the same game, but I agree it’s not impossible.

The problem is I think Sakurai already has the DLC planned out. And obviously as a major Golden Sun fan I would want Isaac to be considered, but I don’t see why they would do all that work updating his AT model and adding more moves to it if they ever planned to possibly upgrade him out of it.
A scenario I can see where this makes sense is if Isaac was going to be DLC, but after the Rathalos tweet completely blew up, Sakurai thought that if the final direct came and there was no mention of Isaac, people would be pissed. So he developed a last minute assist trophy to satisfy fans until DLC, which also explains why it was revealed so late.

A long shot for sure, but it explains a lot.

Last edited:

SmashFan24

Smash Rookie
Please do not go into threads by using wording that intentionally will rile people up.
Hey all! Long-time Smash enthusiast here; so glad I found this board and I can't wait to dive into some fun convos with you all!

Was skimming through this thread and I had a quick q: What the **** is "Isaac" and why would anyone spend 768 pages praying for his inclusion in this game? I noticed everyone was melting down when you learned the creators made the reasonable decision not to include a character nobody has ever heard of, so I assume there must be some backstory I'm unaware of.

Excited to see your answers! Smash on, brothers!

TappyBat

Smash Ace
Hey all! Long-time Smash enthusiast here; so glad I found this board and I can't wait to dive into some fun convos with you all!

Was skimming through this thread and I had a quick q: What the **** is "Isaac" and why would anyone spend 768 pages praying for his inclusion in this game? I noticed everyone was melting down when you learned the creators made the reasonable decision not to include a character nobody has ever heard of, so I assume there must be some backstory I'm unaware of.

oh please don't tell me you came here to start **** i'm not in the mood >.>

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
A scenario I can see where this makes sense is if Isaac was going to be DLC, but after the Rathalos tweet completely blew up, Sakurai thought that if the final direct came and there was no mention of Isaac, people would be pissed. So he developed a last minute assist trophy to satisfy fans until DLC, which also explains why it was revealed so late.

A long shot for sure, but it explains a lot.
I honestly don’t think Sakurai really cares that much to do something like that and I don’t see why he wouldn’t think a tweet referencing Golden Sun wouldn’t excite Isaac fans.

I’m just trying to be realistic here and I’ll admit I’ve become pretty pessimistic after seeing Isaac fail to become playable for a third game in a row.

Sakurai and his team seem to be very particular on spending time on things during development and I can’t imagine them working on a brand new Isaac AT model AND adding two new psynergy spells for it only to end up making Isaac a playable character later on.

But it’s not impossible. There’s a first for everything.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
I AM SOOOOO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS BUT I GUESS SAKURAI THOUGHT IT MORE IMPORTANT TO ADD PIRAHNA PLANT......

Here is a Tip for golden sun fans ORGANIZE yourselfs & get on your twitter, Nintendo America has there twitter set to allow ANYBODY to Direct MSG them TELL THEM HOW YOU FEEL ! cancled pre order let them know, want a new golden sun ? LET THEM KNOW ! it will be anothe 6 to 7 years B4 we get a new smash so GET to work ! (And don't be mean to Nintendo in the Direct MSG just speak your mind)

as for me I'm off to try & get banjo as DLC & fight off that evil steve !

Good luck
and done. wasn't rude but let em know it stung a lot.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
everyone's making fun of us again. ;_;
We should all honestly be used to this again, we simply aren’t loud enough, Golden Sun isn’t going to be acknowledged by Nitnendo much anymore sadly.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don’t think Sakurai really cares that much to do something like that and I don’t see why he wouldn’t think a tweet referencing Golden Sun wouldn’t excite Isaac fans.

I’m just trying to be realistic here and I’ll admit I’ve become pretty pessimistic after seeing Isaac fail to become playable for a third game in a row.

Sakurai and his team seem to be very particular on spending time on things during development and I can’t imagine them working on a brand new Isaac AT model AND adding two new psynergy spells for it only to end up making Isaac a playable character later on.

But it’s not impossible. There’s a first for everything.
That’s pretty much my view of the scenario. Nobody should be expecting Isaac DLC because, quite frankly, it doesn’t seem terribly likely. However, it’s not impossible so we shouldn’t rule it out completely.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
We should all honestly be used to this again, we simply aren’t loud enough, Golden Sun isn’t going to be acknowledged by Nitnendo much anymore sadly.
Got to hand it to K rool fans. They were some of the most proud, most passionate, most argumentative, and most loud smash fans in the series history. I was very aware of K rool's demand, even during those couple years I was away from the scene which I mostly spent becoming a fire emblem addict.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Hey, hoping this is a genuine question.

First off, and to put it nicely, Isaac is not a character nobody’s ever heard of. He’s the protagonist of the multi-million copy selling franchise Golden Sun, consisting of three titles, two for GBA and one for DS. The first two are critically acclaimed successful JRPGs, while the third one received more lukewarm reviews and sold less.

If you’re a Smash fan, you probably recognize Isaac from Brawl, he’s the Assist Trophy that shoots out hands.

As for why he would have been included, it basically boils down to him being one of the most popular requests for any character. Many of us have been supporting him for over ten years and there’s plenty of evidence to suggest he performed really well in the ballot. After Ridley and K. Rool’s confirmations, Isaac is now the biggest first party character not in the game.

Not too bad, huh?

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
To be fair there’s not a lot of people to be loud for it since Nintendo left the series out to dry. The hardcore supporters show up during Smash and make their presence known.

Mav485

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1504-7090-2374
Switch FC
SW 7228 3594 2505
After dwelling on this most of the day, I can say I’m firmly still stoked for Smash. I’m obviously gut-punched about Isaac, but on the whole I’m just disappointed with some missteps that I perceived...

1) As has been mentioned, if all the ATs had been listed much earlier then I think we would have been saved a lot of grief.

2) The overall schedule of reveals for characters was done poorly. I understand you have certain characters you work on and finish before others, but I think the hype train for Ultimate would have been a lot better off if something like the Belmonts or King K. Rool had been saved for this Direct. Or Pirhana Plant being shown earlier.

3) In my opinion, what makes Smash special are things like the roster, the stages, and the music. These things are something Nintendo is uniquely capable of actualizing because of their legacy of content. The gameplay could be copied, but it’s these aspects that bring Smash to life. These pillars are unequivocally the best they’ve ever been for this game and yet it feels like there have been missed opportunities. Why? No trophies sucks, but if they could add something better it would be worth it and Spirits doesn’t feel like that right now. Right now, I’d gladly drop every trophy and Spirits Mode for a handful of more playable characters and stages. I’m willing to give Spirits mode many hours of testing to prove me wrong, but I feel confident in saying most people would make this trade even if they didn’t have a horse in the race for playable spots.

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
To be fair there’s not a lot of people to be loud for it since Nintendo left the series out to dry. The hardcore supporters show up during Smash and make their presence known.
Doesn’t help that we’ll never get another Golden Sun game...I guess the IP Revival just for the Assist Trophy. Sucks, but “Isaac fans are used to disappointment”

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Aside from the memes, was the Ridley thread really that toxic?
I wouldn't envy the people who had to moderate it.

Oh wait that was me.

When it wasn't on fire I guess it was alright.

Excuse you, he's Abraham's son and people have spent a lot more than 768 pages praying about him and having meltdowns based on the whims of the creator.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Wish I'd seen the writing on the wall earlier honestly. Nintendo can only go so far as to throw a bone to irrelevant series like us. Even then, it's something we were dreading all along because it likely means he won't be DLC.

But hey, I can live with the sadness. 10 years isn't that long of a wait. I'll only be 26...

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Can the person who made the leak just come forward already :^) I wanna see his thought process behind all this.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Wish I'd seen the writing on the wall earlier honestly. Nintendo can only go so far as to throw a bone to irrelevant series like us. Even then, it's something we were dreading all along because it likely means he won't be DLC.

But hey, I can live with the sadness. 10 years isn't that long of a wait. I'll only be 26...
Uuuugh.... I’ll be 36... I’ll be nearly 40... I don’t want to wait that long. I can’t wait that long. By then Golden Sun will have been all but forgotten if nothing happens... Just like every time Smash speculation ends... the fanbase just turns into a black void.

I’m a Golden Sun fan... I’m used to this feeling. It’s a very familiar feeling. And I hate it so much... so very very much.

Mav485

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1504-7090-2374
Switch FC
SW 7228 3594 2505

AlliwantisIsaac

Smash Cadet

God knows if smash will go on for that long. Sakurai looked so exhausted. I genuinely think this is the final smash hence the name ultimate. Unless the torch is passed on to someone else...

I'll be 34 by then btw

Last edited:
Top Bottom