• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but don't let this deconfirmation discourage you guys. You made it far, and gave Isaac and GS a lot of attention. Probably more than it's had in years, possibly ever. Let's not forget that Isaac headlined the Assist trophies. That's a jester of recognition by Sakurai. He recognizes the demand for the character and is displaying it in the best way without him actually being a fighter.

What I am getting at is, Smash Ultimate is a huge game, which fulfills many dreams. So much so, that I was starting to worry how the next Smash will top it. And let's be real, there will be a next Smash. Nintendo and Sakurai had to weight their options. If almost every popular newcomer was chosen, what would Smash 6 have to offer as an incentive for hype and speculation? Who gets cut? That would be a bummer. Nintendo hasn't created that many new properties, and they are running out of big new series to push. Eventually, they'll have to start mining the well of forgotten IPs, like Golden Sun. It's up to the fans to let them know it's an investement worth making.

In conclusion, don't start wavering. As a K. Rool/Ridley supporter, I've gone through this. Never give up, make your voices heard. Don't just let Sakurai know you want Isaac playable, let Nintendo know you want a new Golden Sun. It's never too late. I'll be helping by playing GS for the first time. I'll even tell friends about it, and spread the word. Don't lose faith.
But it just doesn't feel the same is my problem. I wanted Isaac to be there with everyone else. Now it seems the only chances that we get Isaac is that some other character gets cut and while I don't love them all equally, I wouldn't want that either.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
We just have to get louder and LOUDER as time goes on. As a composer I'll make it my duty to try to get some arrangements of GS music out into the world so even more people are exposed to it. If we all play our part, we can pull it off. The supporters of Ridley and K. Rool didn't give up and look where they are now. I will happily be repping Golden Sun on November 11th and I encourage everybody in this thread to do the same.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
But it just doesn't feel the same is my problem. I wanted Isaac to be there with everyone else. Now it seems the only chances that we get Isaac is that some other character gets cut and while I don't love them all equally, I wouldn't want that either.
They can cut the plant...

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant looks fun and I can’t wait to try him out. I just don’t understand why. I know people will say it’s a “WTF” character, and while that’s technically true...........it’s a generic Mario villain...

I like when the “WTF” characters are crazy but something you don’t ever see like R.O.B. or Mr.G&W.

I guess next Smash game the door is open for goomba and spiny.

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
At this point I have more optimism for a new Golden Sun game than Isaac or any Golden Sun character ever getting in Smash.

A lot of people have came in here and confirmed it was weird that Nintendo renewed their copyright on Golden Sun years early. Perhaps Nintendo has noticed the demand in the Smash polls.
A remake of the first 2 games would be excellent. Not as much effort needed as a new game and it can help gauge interest.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I’ve made the decision to cosplay as Isaac at every smash tourney I go to. I’m going to become one of the best smash ultimate players just like zero and nairo. I want to reach out to the rest of the smash community and keep the enthusiasm for Isaac alive so I’m doing it in honor of him getting in eventually. With every no you get closer to the inevitable yes!
That's a strong dream to hold onto it. I wish you the best luck you can imagine.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Piranha Plant looks fun and I can’t wait to try him out. I just don’t understand why. I know people will say it’s a “WTF” character, and while that’s technically true...........it’s a generic Mario villain...

I like when the “WTF” characters are crazy but something you don’t ever see like R.O.B. or Mr.G&W.

I guess next Smash game the door is open for goomba and spiny.
Now people will be questioned why their preferred individual character should get in over a generic mook.

For example: Why should Hector from Fire Emblem get in the game when a generic Fire Emblem Soldier has been with the series from the start?

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
A remake of the first 2 games would be excellent. Not as much effort needed as a new game and it can help gauge interest.
I’m fine with a fourth game or remakes. Just give me any Golden Sun. But remakes would work better for people new to the series obviously so I agree.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Just a reminder guys Ridley was said to not be possible by Sakurai and the Ridley fans still didn't give up and they now have a character in Smash. Now isn't the time to give now is the time we actually need to stand together and campaign. I know many of you don't believe it's possible for ATs to be DLC for no real reason but we need to try anyway. If we do nothing then Isaac and Golden Sun really are dead. Don't give up or even if you have keep going. Stopping now is the only way Isaac truly becomes impossible.

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
I would agree. But with how insanely well RPG's have sold on switch, I have my doubts there. A lot of time developers just touch on the back catalog for 5 seconds to see if there's any demand at all. That could take the form of a bare bones Golden Sun 1 HD. Nothing but a graphics uplift. If that sell's even a third as well as Xenoblade 2, the series has a solid future. Today was not our last stand. There will be more chances. I know it because we've seen other series resurface from dormancy before. Mainline DK went silent for many years until Returns hit. We just need to get luck when Nintendo spins the wheel of "what do we touch today"
Yeah, the Switch has helped set record sales for many Nintendo franchises. If Xenoblade could do it, so could Golden Sun, provided someone actually wanting to put in the effort.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Just a reminder guys Ridley was said to not be possible by Sakurai and the Ridley fans still didn't give up and they now have a character in Smash. Now isn't the time to give now is the time we actually need to stand together and campaign. I know many of you don't believe it's possible for ATs to be DLC for no real reason but we need to try anyway. If we do nothing then Isaac and Golden Sun really are dead. Don't give up or even if you have keep going. Stopping now is the only way Isaac truly becomes impossible.
Well, the Ridley thing was just more of a joke because of how big Ridley is and because of that he always worked better as a boss. There’s nothing stopping Isaac from being playable except Sakurai just refusing to make it happen.

I just want a new GS game because I feel that’s the only way Sakurai will seem to think it’s worthwhile to make Isaac playable.

D

Deleted member

Who can we contact to contact Nintendo and ask them *why* Isaac is getting the shaft
Nobody. No gaming company will respond to emails and what not asking why they didn't do one particular element a certain way. They never have and practically never will and there are many reasons as to why this is the case. Nintendo and Sakurai aren't obligated to do this anyway.

spaceperson741

Smash Cadet
Well, the Ridley thing was just more of a joke because of how big Ridley is and because of that he always worked better as a boss. There’s nothing stopping Isaac from being playable except Sakurai just refusing to make it happen.

I just want a new GS game because I feel that’s the only way Sakurai will seem to think it’s worthwhile to make Isaac playable.
I always felt like Isaac being playable was a means to an end (reviving Golden Sun), as opposed to the opposite. Regardless, the big goal for me is that we get a new Golden Sun game, that's what I want.

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
As I'm sure you know, the trademark for Golden Sun was recently renewed. As I understand it, typically trademarks are generally auto-renewed for the purpose of general coverage. However, in regards to Golden Sun, I definitely feel as though Nintendo has taken note of the support of, not only Isaac, but of the series as a whole. I believe that their take away of Dark Dawn reception would encourage them to properly development future instalments. This isn't the end of the franchise and we should be encouraged how the community has grown and spread over the course of the past several years. The battle isn't over.
You damn right it is not!!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

The man basically said he couldn't make Ridley playable and still do him justice and then made him the next game. We gain nothing by stopping.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I have no words. I had to go to school after the direct so I didnt get the chance to come back here and talk with you guys, but needless to say I was in a pissy mood for the rest of the day. Before the direct I braced myself for the worst possible scenario but...this doesn’t even come close to that. In fact, I’d go as far as to say that I think Ultimate would’ve been better off if this direct never happened minus world of light probably, or switch this one with the August direct. That way they’d end it on a high note with K Rool.

Seeing kencineroar made me groan, but I didn’t give up hope. That is, until they said “this is the final fighter.” Why...would you do that? Killing all hype for the rest of the direct in one sentence. I was hoping for a fakeout, but as soon as I saw that assist trophy section pop up I knew what was coming. It hurt like hell, and I wasn’t able to focus on anything Sakurai said for the next like 5 minutes straight. It became clear to me that this isn’t the worst case scenario. This is the worst period. By the end of the direct I was basically on my hands and knees begging for someone, ANYONE like Geno or Banjo that I could be happy about. But no, I got a plant. The only saving grace of this direct is World of Light, but by that point I could barely pay attention.

I cannot fathom why they thought this was a good idea to end things on. I guess I finally know what Sakurai meant when he said he thought they blew their load too fast. I think he realized that the backlash wasn’t imminent and was trying to lower expections as much as he can.

I’m just...Sorry, but the name “Ultimate” carries a bit less weight to me now.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I always felt like Isaac being playable was a means to an end (reviving Golden Sun), as opposed to the opposite. Regardless, the big goal for me is that we get a new Golden Sun game, that's what I want.
I thought so too, but Sakurai doesn’t want to make him playable.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
So. I just finished my shift at work. I’ve had several hours to stew in my own thoughts and process everything that transpired.

At first I hated the fact that Isaac got ATd. And yeah, it hurts his chances to be a DLC fighter. And I still stand by my opinion that campaigning for DLC is one helluva longshot, that I’ll nevertheless support, because I’m a Golden Sun fan through and through. But at least our boy is here. Nintendo cared enough to bring him back. They cared enough to update his abilities. That means it’s not a lost cause. It never will be. Not as long as we keep hoping. Not as long as we keep talking. Not as long as we keep voting where it matters.

We also need to shift how we’ve been acting when it comes to Golden Sun. It’s time we’re more vocal. No more quietly voting in fan polls. I urge every last one of you who truly cares to just talk. Talk about Golden Sun. Not just here, but everywhere! Reddit, 4chan, ****ing Gaia Online I don’t care. Especially to people that show interest, but don’t know much about the game.

I’m still sad that we didn’t get what we really wanted. But... I do feel better. And I hope you all are starting to feel better. We can’t dwell on this negatively. We can’t give up. It’s time to move forward. We’re a stubborn bunch, this much I know. Our stubbornness got us Dark Dawn. So who knows what can happen next. Maybe we can get a new game.

Isaac’s an Assist trophy... but I say to hell with that...

ISAAC FOR SMASH!!!

Golden Sun Revival Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSunRisesAga2

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

Sakurai did have an interview where he said Ridley wouldn't work as a playable fighter cause he wouldn't feel like Ridley anymore (so essentially the too big echo chamber that fans were using against Ridley for years, being said by the developer) and even said something jokey about instead of doing some hocus pocus to make him playable he decided to make him the stage boss.

I kind of hope Sakurai touches on Isaac's assist trophy in the next interview about this direct. Isaac wasn't in Brawl because he said characters like Mega Man and Villager wouldn't normally be the types of characters in Smash and they didn't get added till 4 (so that explains him being regulated to an assist for Brawl).

Skip forward to Fighter Ballot and Sakurai finally brings Isaac back to Smash, but as an assist again, who's still doing the same giant psynergy gimmick he did in Brawl. The fact that he's not letting Isaac's assist touch on any of the GS elements like the various elemental psynergies/Djinns in his assist, makes me think even less he'd make a whole moveset revolving around it.

Heck it's almost fitting, Sakurai only reps Isaac with his utility psynergy, It's as if he feels Isaac is more suited for a support type of role rather than a fighting one.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Sakurai did have an interview where he said Ridley wouldn't work as a playable fighter cause he wouldn't feel like Ridley anymore (so essentially the too big echo chamber that fans were using against Ridley for years, being said by the developer) and even said something jokey about instead of doing some hocus pocus to make him playable he decided to make him the stage boss.

I kind of hope Sakurai touches on Isaac's assist trophy in the next interview about this direct. Isaac wasn't in Brawl because he said characters like Mega Man and Villager wouldn't normally be the types of characters in Smash and they didn't get added till 4 (so that explains him being regulated to an assist for Brawl).

Skip forward to Fighter Ballot and Sakurai finally brings Isaac back to Smash, but as an assist again, who's still doing the same giant psynergy gimmick he did in Brawl. The fact that he's not letting Isaac's assist touch on any of the GS elements like the various elemental psynergies/Djinns in his assist, makes me think even less he'd make a whole moveset revolving around it.

Heck it's almost fitting, Sakurai only reps Isaac with his utility psynergy, It's as if he feels Isaac is more suited for a support type of role rather than a fighting one.
Maybe Sakurai will call Isaac a generic RPG protagonist and piss off all his fans so they are more inclined to be vocal about wanting him added like with Ridley.

D

Deleted member

Despite everything Isaac does look really cool. He's an assist trophy that is his fate.

Despite it all I'm happy he's in some way.

Won't give up on him no matter what for the future.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly I can't imagine at least one of the fighters pass characters NOT being a promoted AT, and not just because of the reaction to Waluigi still being one.

Last edited:

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
I am actually curious what DLC they plan to do like do they rly want to bombard this game with 3rd parties for the most part?
They literally killed every potential nintendo related character by making them AT (unless they do promotions the first time in smash history which I kinda doubt but we'll see).
Curious what will await us in 2019.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I am actually curious what DLC they plan to do like do they rly want to bombard this game with 3rd parties for the most part?
They literally killed every potential nintendo related character by making them AT (unless they do promotions the first time in smash history which I kinda doubt but we'll see).
Curious what will await us in 2019.
I feel like they already have their DLC planned out. I’m just really hoping Banjo is part of it.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Trademark renewel, growth evidence, ultra convincing banner leak. Why couldn't they just cut him entirely and given us a bigger glimmer of hope? I'd rather he be removed than be a damn AT. I'm sorry to the other threads who wanted their character in but got shafted with the AT label, but seriously Isaac is the best candidate out of all to be made playable.

Why would sakurai make him an AT in brawl, cut him from smash 4 but keep the music, and then bring him back as an AT after seeing the smash ballot results? on top of that, "saving" his reveal until the final direct was just downright mean. All the highly requested characters that were teased for months and months only to be shown off as items that will be forgotten.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Haven't been in here today... So sorry to hear the rough conclusion to y'all's journey with this Smash Bros. game. His chances were looking so good... Only to become an assist.
Though, while it's hard to except this fate, you've gotta remember: him being in here means that Sakurai actually noticed him. This could lead later down the line into possible show ups, and you know, maybe even the next Smash! We saw Isabelle, Dark Samus, and Little Mac get an upgrade to playable.

Never give up on y'all's golden boy's journey! His time will come some day! I really feel it!

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Well, we've got some serious work ahead of us. I'm currently drafting a template letter to Nintendo for people to send in.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
I feel bad for you Isaac fans, you have waited for your character for a long time only to be shattered by having Isaac as AT. Its been a bloodbath at that moment.

While I feel sad that Isaac is now an AT, at least your closest friend, the Lloyd community, has a GREAT chance of making it in as DLC:

When I look at it, Lloyd has a GREAT chance to be DLC because:
  • Lloyd is a requested character.
  • He also appeared as a Mii Costume in which many characters, confirmed or not, once appeared in Mii Costume in Smash 4.
  • Sakurai felt that Lloyd is an obvious pick for a Tales of Rep and that's a reason for his inclusion as a Mii Costume.
  • Namco lack any new 3rd party rep while most other companies has more than 1.
  • Tales of series is a popular series unlike many other requested characters.
  • Namco works on Ultimate, so its easy for Sakurai to implement Lloyd.
With so many 3rd party companies having more than one 3rd party rep: (Sonic and Bayo from Sega; Snake, Simon, and Richter from Konami; Mega Man, Ryu, and Ken from Capcom, Cloud and Possibly Sora from Square Enix) it is safe to assume that a 2nd Namco rep may be coming and it might be Lloyd!.

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Ridley failed to be playable 4 times. K rool 4 times. And We've failed 3. (4 if you count SSB4 DLC) I'd say this DLC round is our time to shine, if promotions can happen.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
While I feel sad that Isaac is now an AT, at least your closest friend, the Lloyd community, has a GREAT chance of making it in as DLC:

When I look at it, Lloyd has a GREAT chance to be DLC because:
  • Lloyd is a requested character.
  • He also appeared as a Mii Costume in which many characters, confirmed or not, once appeared in Mii Costume in Smash 4.
  • Sakurai felt that Lloyd is an obvious pick for a Tales of Rep and that's a reason for his inclusion as a Mii Costume.
  • Namco lack any new 3rd party rep while most other companies has more than 1.
  • Tales of series is a popular series unlike many other requested characters.
  • Namco works on Ultimate, so its easy for Sakurai to implement Lloyd.
With so many 3rd party companies having more than one 3rd party rep: (Sonic and Bayo from Sega; Snake, Simon, and Richter from Konami; Mega Man, Ryu, and Ken from Capcom, Cloud and Possibly Sora from Square Enix) it is safe to assume that a 2nd Namco rep may be coming and it might be Lloyd!.
I agree. I think he has a lot going for him.

Good luck you guys.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Fellow Camelot Bros, I think it's possible we may have a new GS really soon.

After all we know that Camelot wants to work on RPG again.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ca...and-other-camelot-and-treasures-tidbits.2030/

In this thread, the Takashi brothers state that they want to work on Shining force 4, however it is own by Sega and they would need an approval. They had the Idea during Mario Tenis development.

It's quite possible that their next game will be an RPG.

So why did GS got a trademark renewal is Custom Robot did not need one to get a sticker?

Maybe it was unrelated to Smash and related to an actual Golden Sun game?
Nintendo may have approve the project sine RPG are doing fairly well on Switch.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Fellow Camelot Bros, I think it's possible we may have a new GS really soon.

After all we know that Camelot wants to work on RPG again.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ca...and-other-camelot-and-treasures-tidbits.2030/

In this thread, the Takashi brothers state that they want to work on Shining force 4, however it is own by Sega and they would need an approval. They had the Idea during Mario Tenis development.

It's quite possible that their next game will be an RPG.

So why did GS got a trademark renewal is Custom Robot did not need one to get a sticker?

Maybe it was unrelated to Smash and related to an actual Golden Sun game?
Nintendo may have approve the project sine RPG are doing fairly well on Switch.
Was pretty hyped until I realized this was 1 year ago. Come on Golden Sun 4! Even a Golden Sun Trilogy would be hype.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
Trademark renewel, growth evidence, ultra convincing banner leak. Why couldn't they just cut him entirely and given us a bigger glimmer of hope? I'd rather he be removed than be a damn AT. I'm sorry to the other threads who wanted their character in but got shafted with the AT label, but seriously Isaac is the best candidate out of all to be made playable.

Why would sakurai make him an AT in brawl, cut him from smash 4 but keep the music, and then bring him back as an AT after seeing the smash ballot results? on top of that, "saving" his reveal until the final direct was just downright mean. All the highly requested characters that were teased for months and months only to be shown off as items that will be forgotten.
because god hates us

Top Bottom