• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Ok... so say if they did promote Assist Trophies in the earlier parts of the game to be playable. What will they do with the data for that Assist? Latch it on to some other character?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ok... so say if they did promote Assist Trophies in the earlier parts of the game to be playable. What will they do with the data for that Assist? Latch it on to some other character?
Disable their appearance chance when someone is playing as them.
Change the Assist to a different character when the character is bought.

One of these two things.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not gonna be mad them. I'm impressed! But there's something that doesn't add up... both ken renders seem to be the same on both banners. Coincidence? Maybe. Or maybe the grinch leak is actually real and some characters got scrapped while the ohters are potential dlc.
Fair point. But I dont think we should ever tolerate deceit.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Either cut their code and model from the game in the patch that implements them as a fighter, of if that would screw with other game systems and mechanics, just set the assist to a spawn rate of 0%, which should be more than possible.

ZelDan

Smash Master
When Isaac is on the battlefield, Alfonzo shall take his place as an assist trophy

"Just leave it to me!"

Last edited:

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
So, we're all still in this fight, yeah? Nice to see that it appears we've all decided to not give up just yet.

I posted this on Reddit but I should post it here too

I have been a fan of the series for a while and today was proof we have the popularity to get into Smash. It may not have been the outcome we wanted but hey! Isaac is now back in Smash! But remember he would have not appeared at all had it not been for us. We did this!

But right now, a lot of us are hurting. And too rightly so. This is a character we love and care about. Of course it will hurt! Some of us may want to quit. But don't! We can't stop now. But at the same point, we need to discuss about Nintendo.

It has been eight years since Golden Sun last got an entry. They might not think the series matters as much anymore. But we do! Until Dark Dawn, the series has been a million seller each time. And Dark Dawn only failed due to being sold at the end of the DS's lifespan and the lack of marketing. And even then, the fans are there. As much as the Xenoblade fans.

So why did he not get in? Well Nintendo is a business plain and simple. It is a numbers game regarding who gets in the roster. Ridley and King K Rool got in because their numbers proved that they are a USP (Unique Selling Point) to the success of the game sales. Smash's character roster is a USP. Had it not had the characters back in the day, it would have failed to become the series it is.

Why do I mention this? Because right now, it is clear Nintendo don't see us as a big enough number. But we can change that!

Have you ever heard the TV series of Chuck? It is a television series that got cancelled and through the fans buying enough of the product sponsored in the series, revived the series! A series that was dead. It was all done through the fans and their efforts.

So, you still want Isaac to be in? We can do this. Show our outright support in one single day.

What I propose is a campaign of showing positive support for Golden Sun. On November 11th, Golden Sun will be 17 years old in the US. The perfect excuse to promote our love for Isaac! What I recommend is doing any (or all) of the following

• On the day, post to your respective Nintendo Twitter/Facebook/Social Media's country accounts (Nintendo UK, of America et). Celebrate your love for Golden Sun and add the tag #Isaac4Smash and #BringBackGoldenSun
  • On that day, buy the Golden Sun ports on the Wii U and post that to the Nintendo's social media accounts. Buy the old games too (if you can find it) and post a photo of it!
  • Gather the troops! Talk about Golden Sun all day and how it should be revived. The more who know about it, the more likely they will join our cause
  • Convince others to play Golden Sun! Remember, the only reason Golden Sun isn't active right now is they believe there is no future sales. We can prove them wrong!
  • Spread the word on this plan! If you don't, the plan will never work. We need to find as many Golden Sun fans as possible.
  • Basically, on November 11th, prove with all you can that Golden Sun should be a revived series and Isaac matters
The truth is, WE are the people responsible for Isaac's inclusion in Smash and Golden Sun's revival. If we want to do it, we need to share it as far as we can and gather as many people who love the series as possible to get as many of the fans posting about it on that one day. If we don't, we might say goodbye to Golden Sun forever. Even if we don't succeed. Even if November 11th goes off well and they still don't give him recognition, at least we can let the sun set knowing we did all we could to save him and his series.

I will be doing all I can on November 11th. Let us show that no matter the outcome for Golden Sun, its fans never left and want the series back

I believe in our Golden Boy! Do you?
This needs to be front and center to every golden sun fan. Any way to get Billy to promote this? I’m feeling greatly defeated but I think this is a great idea.

Istry555

Smash Cadet
So when the time comes and this 1 (of likely 2) Seasons of DLC is winding down...
We shall start and continue to run a campaign for Isaac to be a playable character in Smash Ultimate DLC.
And we shall press onward.
I really don't think a second season of Smash DLC is likely at all: 1) Sakurai already indicated he would like to take a break from the development of Smash; 2) Every single recent Nintendo game has announced all their paid DLC plans up front and not one has added another season later on.

So, the 5 characters are all we are likely to get and it sounds like they have already been decided and have started development.

No matter what we do or campaign it won't change that and Isaac's chances for DLC seem next to zero to me. The most we can do is try to bring attention for the next Smash game, and even then, that's not likely to start development for a while so it might not be the best timing to start a new campaign.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Oh I'm not going down yet. Not after that. It may have been a painful thing to watch, but I'm not quitting with my support.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Until Sakurai gives us an explanation on why he keeps shafting Isaac, I honestly don't have much hope for him. We'll get Waluigi before we ever get Isaac; even if Assists can be promoted. Why would Sakurai do this?

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I said something similar to this in the Ashley thread. The Isaac fans were definitely given the middle finger. All that Isaac support denied by the hard AT confirm and the worst part for Isaac is....this was at the very LAST MINUTE.. Isaac is the MOST supported AT character that should've been shown earlier than Ashley even.

If this was Isaac's fate all along, we should've known that since E3 at the latest.... I cannot believe they'd wait as long as they did to have a huge amount of character fan bases be crushed by this one direct... Damn it....just damn it...

I was never an Isaac fan back in Smash 4 and faintly remembered the AT from Brawl, but reading into his story, lore of the games, and seeing so much passion ooze from this support thread always reminded me 100% of the K. Rool thread and how we are... You guys made me love and want this character.. I don't know what else to say besides...

“It's not victory that makes a man. It's his defeats.” - Golden Son
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Son

Last edited:

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I posted this on Reddit but I should post it here too

I have been a fan of the series for a while and today was proof we have the popularity to get into Smash. It may not have been the outcome we wanted but hey! Isaac is now back in Smash! But remember he would have not appeared at all had it not been for us. We did this!

But right now, a lot of us are hurting. And too rightly so. This is a character we love and care about. Of course it will hurt! Some of us may want to quit. But don't! We can't stop now. But at the same point, we need to discuss about Nintendo.

It has been eight years since Golden Sun last got an entry. They might not think the series matters as much anymore. But we do! Until Dark Dawn, the series has been a million seller each time. And Dark Dawn only failed due to being sold at the end of the DS's lifespan and the lack of marketing. And even then, the fans are there. As much as the Xenoblade fans.

So why did he not get in? Well Nintendo is a business plain and simple. It is a numbers game regarding who gets in the roster. Ridley and King K Rool got in because their numbers proved that they are a USP (Unique Selling Point) to the success of the game sales. Smash's character roster is a USP. Had it not had the characters back in the day, it would have failed to become the series it is.

Why do I mention this? Because right now, it is clear Nintendo don't see us as a big enough number. But we can change that!

Have you ever heard the TV series of Chuck? It is a television series that got cancelled and through the fans buying enough of the product sponsored in the series, revived the series! A series that was dead. It was all done through the fans and their efforts.

So, you still want Isaac to be in? We can do this. Show our outright support in one single day.

What I propose is a campaign of showing positive support for Golden Sun. On November 11th, Golden Sun will be 17 years old in the US. The perfect excuse to promote our love for Isaac! What I recommend is doing any (or all) of the following

• On the day, post to your respective Nintendo Twitter/Facebook/Social Media's country accounts (Nintendo UK, of America et). Celebrate your love for Golden Sun and add the tag #Isaac4Smash and #BringBackGoldenSun
  • On that day, buy the Golden Sun ports on the Wii U and post that to the Nintendo's social media accounts. Buy the old games too (if you can find it) and post a photo of it!
  • Gather the troops! Talk about Golden Sun all day and how it should be revived. The more who know about it, the more likely they will join our cause
  • Convince others to play Golden Sun! Remember, the only reason Golden Sun isn't active right now is they believe there is no future sales. We can prove them wrong!
  • Spread the word on this plan! If you don't, the plan will never work. We need to find as many Golden Sun fans as possible.
  • Basically, on November 11th, prove with all you can that Golden Sun should be a revived series and Isaac matters
The truth is, WE are the people responsible for Isaac's inclusion in Smash and Golden Sun's revival. If we want to do it, we need to share it as far as we can and gather as many people who love the series as possible to get as many of the fans posting about it on that one day. If we don't, we might say goodbye to Golden Sun forever. Even if we don't succeed. Even if November 11th goes off well and they still don't give him recognition, at least we can let the sun set knowing we did all we could to save him and his series.

I will be doing all I can on November 11th. Let us show that no matter the outcome for Golden Sun, its fans never left and want the series back

I believe in our Golden Boy! Do you?
Billybae10K Billybae10K Spread the word far and wide. We need all the help we can get.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
To the Lloydmobile? I feel bummed Isaac isn't playable, but with them being one of the sole survivors and a good shot for DLC I feel like we should go all-in with them.

After all, they're our Bros.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
In the Direct, the challenge for the Imprisoned (Skyward Sword boss) features the Ghirahim AT guarding a gigantic K. Rool. Not sure if there are any others but that's at least proof it can happen.

EDIT: Just in case I misunderstood, Matthew is one of the many spirits you can see on the official website. Therefore, Golden Sun spirit plus ATs appearing in spirit challenges equals significant chance of Isaac appearing in a spirit challenge.
Where on the website can you see him ? I saw him in the video but i can't find him.

tveye

Smash Journeyman
Not that I think blame is a solution, ever, but I think more people should be mad at whoever made the banner leak, more than sakurai.
The banner leak made Isaac more mainstream. I think it was well done and wish to know who was behind it.

Arteen

Smash Lord
This is small solace now, but Nintendo did hear us. Isaac is back in Smash because Nintendo heard us. We got something, and it's a damn sight better than a sticker.

Let's look at the facts. Aside from promotions (and Metal Gear's Gray Fox):
  • 13 assist trophies were cut from SSB4 to SSBU
  • 6 assist trophies were cut from SSBB to SSB4
  • 1 single assist trophy came back
Isaac was cut from Smash 4 completely because Nintendo didn't believe in Golden Sun. He wasn't worth the effort of even creating a new model.

Then the Ballot comes out. Isaac places surprisingly well. He's not topping the charts, but he's high enough up there to get noticed. Our golden boy gets uniquely resurrected from nothingness, cleaned up, and added back into the Smash universe as an assist trophy again.

Fast forward to earlier this year. Sakurai tweets out a screenshot that, coincidentally, reminds a lot of people of Golden Sun. And what happens? Tons of Golden Sun fans come out of the woodwork to express their love of Isaac and the series. Then we get the Grinch and the Sprout, and now Isaac is in everybody's hearts and on everyone's minds. I've never seen so much love and support for a supposedly forgotten franchise.

That's too little, too late for Isaac, but Nintendo damn well knows how much people love him now. Maybe that means nothing, but maybe it means something.

I don't expect this to make anyone feel better now, but this is where we are and it could be a whole lot worse.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
This is small solace now, but Nintendo did hear us. Isaac is back in Smash because Nintendo heard us. We got something, and it's a damn sight better than a sticker.

Let's look at the facts. Aside from promotions (and Metal Gear's Gray Fox):
  • 13 assist trophies were cut from SSB4 to SSBU
  • 6 assist trophies were cut from SSBB to SSB4
  • 1 single assist trophy came back
Isaac was cut from Smash 4 completely because Nintendo didn't believe in Golden Sun. He wasn't worth the effort of even creating a new model.

Then the Ballot comes out. Isaac places surprisingly well. He's not topping the charts, but he's high enough up there to get noticed. Our golden boy gets uniquely resurrected from nothingness, cleaned up, and added back into the Smash universe as an assist trophy again.

Fast forward to earlier this year. Sakurai tweets out a screenshot that, coincidentally, reminds a lot of people of Golden Sun. And what happens? Tons of Golden Sun fans come out of the woodwork to express their love of Isaac and the series. Then we get the Grinch and the Sprout, and now Isaac is in everybody's hearts and on everyone's minds. I've never seen so much love and support for a supposedly forgotten franchise.

That's too little, too late for Isaac, but Nintendo damn well knows how much people love him now. Maybe that means nothing, but maybe it means something.

I don't expect this to make anyone feel better now, but this is where we are and it could be a whole lot worse.
This in its entirety! Our work has just begun! Fellas, we must unite and push our positive support harder!

Istry555

Smash Cadet
Until Sakurai gives us an explanation on why he keeps shafting Isaac, I honestly don't have much hope for him.
I think the real reason is simply that Golden Sun is not an active franchise for Nintendo. Sakurai has said in the past that he preferences active franchises and excepting specifically retro characters he's never really added a character from inactive franchise. People were arguing that K. Rool and Ridley stopped the relevancy argument, but they are both part of major active franchises.

If we want to see Isaac in Smash, I honestly believe no amount of petitioning or support for him to get in the game will work. The only way he has a chance of getting in is if Golden Sun gets a new game and then we just have to hope the timing is right to match a Smash game's development cycle.

Isaac4SmashUltimate

Smash Apprentice
I'm not gonna be mad them. I'm impressed! But there's something that doesn't add up... both ken renders seem to be the same on both banners. Coincidence? Maybe. Or maybe the grinch leak is actually real and some characters got scrapped while the ohters are potential dlc.
Perhaps that may have happened due to the lack of time. So Sakurai had to have least a Pokemon rep and a joke character in the game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, Part of me can't wait to see how people react to leaks when it comes to DLC/future Smash titles after what went down with the Grinch nonsense.
You'd think it'd reinforce the credibility of the insiders who were correct... but it won't.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The banner leak made Isaac more mainstream. I think it was well done and wish to know who was behind it.
At the price of getting all your hopes up and then it being torn down by reality.
Is that worth it?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I really don't think a second season of Smash DLC is likely at all: 1) Sakurai already indicated he would like to take a break from the development of Smash; 2) Every single recent Nintendo game has announced all their paid DLC plans up front and not one has added another season later on.

So, the 5 characters are all we are likely to get and it sounds like they have already been decided and have started development.

No matter what we do or campaign it won't change that and Isaac's chances for DLC seem next to zero to me. The most we can do is try to bring attention for the next Smash game, and even then, that's not likely to start development for a while so it might not be the best timing to start a new campaign.
I think you underestimate the scope of DLC. Nintendo's CEO recently in a board meeting said continued DLC support is a key part of their future business innovation.

No game is bigger for DLC in Nintendo's library than Smash Bros. None even come close.

Also Sakurai can take a break. There's a whole team of competent and well trained staff, almost all of whom worked on Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U.

Many have worked on Tekken. Many have worked on Soul Calibur. They are competent so Sakurai hasn't had to work as hard the last few years.

And besides... this sounds like the play, the plan. I don't see many if any ways Spring Man isn't playable in Smash ULTIMATE when all is said and done.

Season 2 of DLC is probably gonna happen, and we are gonna eat it all up! And really, that is our last best chance to get Isaac in Smash. But Season 2 reveals likely won't start until May and development won't begin on that until 2020, so we got a longgggggggggggggggggggg time to wait for that if it comes.

If it comes, iIn that time Isaac fans should enjoy Ultimate as is and the DLC characters that come around, have fun chatting here, get some ideas for the campaign going while having fun, and get themselves ready to make a push and serious campaign for the character (AGAIN) while having fun and doing it with a sense of joy and passion for the character and love of Smash.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You'd think it'd reinforce the credibility of the insiders who were correct... but it won't.
Maybe if more people could be like Mystic; people wouldn't be so hostile to insiders. But I guess they're just pre-disposed to be assholes, more often than not.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Guys, if Isaac is just an AT, why did we got a trademark renewal twice?

For Matthew sticker of course!

What if Isaac AT was done in 2016, when the roster was finalize?

And then comes 2018 were Camelot decide to try to make a new GS after various RPG succes on the switch.

Bam, new trademark.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Sorry for your loss guys. I supported him too.

I'm actually pretty hyped about Piranha Plant, as he IS the original Mario mook from way back in the days of Super Mario Bros Arcade, making him a villain older than Bowser himself. Neat oddball character for this game.

But remember not to scapegoat the fighters who made it because yours did not. Turn your disappointment into productivity. All the best guys.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe if more people could be like Mystic; people wouldn't be so hostile to insiders. But I guess they're just pre-disposed to be ********, more often than not.
Sadly the only way people tend to be benevolent to reputable leakers is if the leakers a) leak things people want to hear and b) are 100% correct about them. It's a small window, which is why they're so vague. And that in turn gets chalked up to them "guessing".

Mystic is lucky people somewhat came around on him, because he seems like a nice guy who didn't know what he was getting into, but had he not been so personally candid, a trait rare among insiders (for obvious reasons), I doubt the backlash would've mitigated to the extent it did.

Ninetales Commander

Smash Cadet
Much like Arlo with Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door, I think it's time we stopped and just accept that Assist Trophy is the best were ever gonna get.
Guys, I know it sucks and believe me I've been wanted Isaac for what has felt like an eternity but I think if we just carry on, we're just gonna be constantly setting ourselves up for disappointment.
What have we done? We made our voices heard on the ballot, we've petitioned endlessly to Camelot to make a Golden Sun 4, and we've voiced our concerns for what has felt like an eternity and all it has gotten us is him back the way we never wanted him.
I don't know if there's anything behind the scenes between Camelot and Sakurai or that Sakurai just doesn't care enough for Golden Sun but whatever the reasons, at this point we may as well accept Isaac is going to remain an assist trophy.
At this point, we are just beating on a dead horse, I mean we can't even get a 4th game in the actual series, let alone his presence in arguably the biggest video game crossover.
It's time to end this and stop hoping so we can allow our hearts to heal.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
I think the real reason is simply that Golden Sun is not an active franchise for Nintendo. Sakurai has said in the past that he preferences active franchises and excepting specifically retro characters he's never really added a character from inactive franchise. People were arguing that K. Rool and Ridley stopped the relevancy argument, but they are both part of major active franchises.

If we want to see Isaac in Smash, I honestly believe no amount of petitioning or support for him to get in the game will work. The only way he has a chance of getting in is if Golden Sun gets a new game and then we just have to hope the timing is right to match a Smash game's development cycle.
but camelot likes making bad sports games now and doesn't care about GS it's been 8 years and still nothing we're fated to just disappear it seems

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Guessing spirits and maybe music... the only stuff that seems like it can still be unlocked.
Isn't music a mute point since you can buy them using in game currency acquired by playing vs mode and Spirits by playing the mode?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Isn't music a mute point since you can buy them using in game currency acquired by playing vs mode and Spirits by playing the mode?
I assume it'll be like trophies last time where you can buy a large selection of them, but some will be tied to specific challenges/unlocks.

Top Bottom