• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

tveye

Smash Journeyman
Last year the news came in October around the 24th, so if nothing happens next week then it's 100% gonna be in the first week of November imo. I hope we do get something next week tho, November is gonna be a huge danger zone for leaks if stuff ain't revealed yet.
Well, since the game launches December 7th, it would make sense for a Smash Direct to come on November 7th since it'll be exactly one month until the game's launch.

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
I think I finally found a way to pass this damned info drought, thoughts? Before you ask where Isaac's second scarf is, it went out in the twilight zone.
Vlad pour Smash.png

AmateurKnight23

Smash Rookie
I really want Isaac to be in Ultimate. I almost equally just want more Golden Sun music in the game. Give me “Isaac’s Battle Theme”! Give me “Prologue” and “World Map Theme” from the original! You don’t even have to do any heavy remixing. Just throw that crap in there.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
So Jon from gamexplain was streaming dark souls today. I went into the stream with an agenda. I had been meaning to get a question out to him for some time. As I had known he was a golden sun fan and wanted Isaac for smash. As well as him basically being a leaker in all but outward appearance. So when smash inevitably came up the chat I asked him. "Golden Sun Isaac for smash, Yay or nay?" He talked about how he really wanted the character. But he wasn't sure about the chances given that Golden Sun has been dormant, along with the fact that fans of the property only really like the first two games. He did however mention how a lot of series on the roster are also dormant, so it was still possible. He later talked about Geno and how he felt that the character was really likely just on the grounds of demand.

He didn't address any rumors or the ballot in any capacity. So if he does know something, he's obviously playing that as safe as possible. I more or less expected that, but that doesn't really break the borderline quantum superposition we're stuck in. Where we're just left here un-easy and wondering for months on end.

Last edited:

TappyBat

Smash Ace
So Jon from gamexplain was streaming dark souls today. I went into the stream with an agenda. I had been meaning to get a question out to him for some time. As I had known he was a golden sun fan and wanted Isaac for smash. As well as him basically being a leaker in all but outward appearance. So when smash inevitably came up the chat I asked him. "Golden Sun Isaac for smash, Yay or nay?" He talked about how he really wanted the character. But he wasn't sure about the chances given that Golden Sun has been dormant, along with the fact that fans of the property only really like the first two games. He did however mention how a lot of series on the roster are also dormant, so it was still possible. He later talked about Geno and how he felt that the character was really likely just on the grounds of demand.

He didn't address any rumors or the ballot in any capacity. So if he does know something, he's obviously playing that as safe as possible. I more or less expected that, but that doesn't really break the borderline quantum superposition we're stuck in. Where we're just left here un-easy and wondering for months on end.
so nothing? ugh

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Sounds like the same thing people always say to me. Isaac's not likely cause his series is dead and people hated the last game.
That just sounded like his general summation of the situation. He didn't analyze fan demand in any capacity, in fact it sounded like he wasn't even really aware that people really wanted him lo.

PokiehlthePoet

Smash Apprentice

"Assuming" that Sakurai and his team are still keeping Ultimate content super duper top-level to the point where most of Nintendos staff doesnt even know whats going on, I doubt this Jon person has any solid info to share.
That is assuming the secrecy status hasnt changed cause who knows it might have but what is for sure is Ultimates "release" in specific was SUPER secret according to Sakurai.

And idk why Jon would say the series being dormant and people only liking the first two games would lower Isaacs chances cause thats been true since Brawl days and people were still clamoring for him then.

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
"Assuming" that Sakurai and his team are still keeping Ultimate content super duper top-level to the point where most of Nintendos staff doesnt even know whats going on, I doubt this Jon person has any solid info to share.
That is assuming the secrecy status hasnt changed cause who knows it might have but what is for sure is Ultimates "release" in specific was SUPER secret according to Sakurai.

And idk why Jon would say the series being dormant and people only liking the first two games would lower Isaacs chances cause thats been true since Brawl days and people were still clamoring for him then.
He's a mod on reset era, a member of gamexplain, and has a lot of industry contacts due to both of these positions. A lot of his weird or wild "predictions" have a tendency to come true. Including but not being limited to ports of every single PS1\2 FF game with the specific exception of 8, A port of kirby's epic yarn to smash, and most notably, really the only guy with some media push who stood up for Ridley.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman

Jon may not know info about the game itself but he definitely knows info on the directs before they are shown. Gamexplain always has prediction videos go up before a direct and before the August Smash direct Jon “predicted” they would use a sound to hint at a newcomer. In that direct we got the stomping sound while the screen shakes before King K Rool. Before the last direct someone predicted Isabelle would be shown with possibly another echo fighter but Jon said he highly doubts Isabelle would be an echo fighter and then said something about it being funny if she used a fishing rod.

So we can safely assume he gets inside info on the directs because he also called all those Final Fantasy games coming as well!

hustler713

Smash Apprentice

Jon has been known as an Insider, but NOT A LEAKER. He has been known to have some Hints sprinkled here and there disguised as guesses, in gamexplain videos.

E: So him talking about Isaac COULD be one of those Hints, but doesn't necessarily have to be one.

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Jon has been known as an Insider, but NOT A LEAKER. He has been known to have some Hints sprinkled here and there disguised as guesses, in gamexplain videos.

E: So him talking about Isaac COULD be one of those Hints, but doesn't necessarily have to be one.
When I asked, he seemed to respond in a purely opinion bound context. If he were trying to hint stuff I feel that he either A, would have said something very vague, or B, would have ignored my question.

Speaking of ignoring the question, cause the chat was passing by so fast he didn't see my question after I had posted it 3 times, after that I said if he missed it again I'd just move on. But he saw it the 4th and final shot.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Because it's true, if Golden Sun wasn't dormant and was continually well-received, we'd probably have him by now.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
so no chance for isaac ever? ;<
I agree with Jon, I don't think it's overly likely but I think it's definitely possible. It's just that his chances would improve exponentially with regular games and/or louder recent(ish) reception.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
so no chance for isaac ever? ;<
That's not what the point is, it's the reason he was made lower priority in previous games below other characters to make it in the roster. If you have that kind of attitude going forward it hurts him so we need to keep pushing for him Isaac is still a largely consitently popular request and Sakurai could've or would've eventually given in. It does look like John has inside information but regarding Smash, I doubt he has his own info, just his own speculation be it. I feel like his exclusion from Smash 4 was because of franchise inactivity and his exclusion from Brawl was due to time constraints and maybe some poor timing.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Guys don't take pseudo leakers/experts words for gospel either. It's easy to predict obvious characters like Ken, Isabelle, etc. Even K.Rool was kinda obvious after Ridley.
Remember that Brawl had Pit, while Kid Icarus had been dormant for 17 years, giving a new game 6 years later.
And Mr Game and Watch ? Last one was also 17 years before brawl.
Series being dormant is not a disqualifier, and since ballot has a huge impact this time, and we all know Isaac did well and that Golden Sun was a big deal back in the GBA era, his chances are pretty decent. So chill and relax, he is in.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
part of my dream last night was isaac and other characters getting revealed

it was all one trailer, characters were getting revealed left and right (i specifically remember a cartoon sheep, Master Chief and some fortnite characters getting revealed for some odd reason, i dont even like fortnite), it's a bit fuzzy but i remember Isaac getting revealed in an awkward situation between two other characters, and then he looked at the screen like a 4th wall breaking moment with a slightly unimpressed face though he didn't say anything

the weird part was that it was in a giant theatre for a movie that only cost 1 dollar to get in, and i had to sneak inside, and the trailer was literally like a trailer before the movie

Last edited:

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
About time I jumped into this thread! I'm going crazy in this direct gap waiting for any kind of confirmation. I've been too absorbed in the fact that it's kinda make or break for Isaac in Smash this time; clearly he's either in or he's not, but the latter seems unfathomable given his circumstances as a first party character long overdue a proper invitation to Smash.

Anyway, I put together a little Wishlist on GS assets I'd love to see in Ultimate. I didn't delve too much into move sets since I change my mind constantly. I fully trust Sakurai and his team to pull out a really fun, representative moveset. Personally I'm in the vanilla Venus adept camp, and I'm not keen on using Djinn as a gimmick, although I'd like to see them in his animations somehow.

So, my wishlist.

Fighter: Isaac - I imagine him as a medium range fighter due to the psynergy at his disposal; throwing earth and using catch for his grab. I could see him as a mostly grounded character, not great in the air but good at edge guarding with Move or Spire if he has something like that. I think his B would be his familiar Move ability, pushing outwards like his AT. I'd like to see Ragnarok or Titan Blade as his Final smash, since it can just crash into the stage. As much as I love Judgement it's far and beyond the power of most final smashes.

Semi Clone: Felix (Not an echo) - Sakurai already mentioned why Isabelle was a unique character, its because she doesn't match Villager's size. This is far more the case for Felix and Isaac. I picture Felix being like an adult Link to Isaac's young Link in this case, he'd be heavier and would hit harder, possibly use different abilities to Isaac so we get even more variety. I even think his Move ability could push inwards, to bring people closer so he can wail away with his stronger physical attacks. This could be a good way to distinguish the two better. Also would love to see Odyssey as his final smash to be similar to Isaac's, only horizontal.
Note: An echo would be fine, they'd just have to make them the same height which might feel a bit odd. Happy either way.

Stage: Venus Lighthouse - A prominent location in the series as both the conclusion to Golden Sun and beginning of The Lost Age. I think it's the most iconic place in Wayard that represents the series. Plus they could have a hazard of the Lighthouse splitting apart. I would even go as far as wanting Saturos and Menardi as stage hazards, casting eruptions you have to dodge.

Assist Trophy: Jenna - Chosen because she means the most to both Isaac and Felix, and is an important character in both arcs. Obviously any character or Djinni would be suitable but I imagine there's only going to be one trophy so Jenna was my top choice. I can see her casting some Mars synergy across the stage. She could end up doing a lot of AoE to the point where it'd be beneficial to K.O. her fast. Serpent Fume is quite iconic for her in my mind.

Item: Spark Shuriken - This one was really hard to think of because I'm not all that familiar with the items in the series unless they're special weapons. There also aren't that many items in the games overall that could bring something unique. This was my best find because you can shoot lightning projectiles. That's kinda cool.

Music: Isaac Battle / Saturos Battle / Saturos & Menardi / Jenna Battle / Venus Lighthouse / Overworld - Most of these should go without saying, and there's definitely more I'd be happy to see added.

Sakurai would have to be very generous to provide everything on this list, and I would be ecstatic if he did. However, even the bare minimal of having Isaac in the base roster would make me very happy, and satisfy a 16 year old wish.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Erf.. even if i am in the "He is playable team" lurking around various forums and threads, it gives me some bad feeling about our Golden Boy. Not want to think negatively about this but yeah it's mentaly difficult sometimes to be a Isaac supporter. I just don't want to give up on this x)

Oh btw it has nothing to go with Smash but Monday i will begin an internship in a company in the marketing section until the 31st December. With luck i can possibly find a job faster than i thought

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
About time I jumped into this thread! I'm going crazy in this direct gap waiting for any kind of confirmation. I've been too absorbed in the fact that it's kinda make or break for Isaac in Smash this time; clearly he's either in or he's not, but the latter seems unfathomable given his circumstances as a first party character long overdue a proper invitation to Smash.

Anyway, I put together a little Wishlist on GS assets I'd love to see in Ultimate. I didn't delve too much into move sets since I change my mind constantly. I fully trust Sakurai and his team to pull out a really fun, representative moveset. Personally I'm in the vanilla Venus adept camp, and I'm not keen on using Djinn as a gimmick, although I'd like to see them in his animations somehow.

So, my wishlist.

Fighter: Isaac - I imagine him as a medium range fighter due to the psynergy at his disposal; throwing earth and using catch for his grab. I could see him as a mostly grounded character, not great in the air but good at edge guarding with Move or Spire if he has something like that. I think his B would be his familiar Move ability, pushing outwards like his AT. I'd like to see Ragnarok or Titan Blade as his Final smash, since it can just crash into the stage. As much as I love Judgement it's far and beyond the power of most final smashes.

Semi Clone: Felix (Not an echo) - Sakurai already mentioned why Isabelle was a unique character, its because she doesn't match Villager's size. This is far more the case for Felix and Isaac. I picture Felix being like an adult Link to Isaac's young Link in this case, he'd be heavier and would hit harder, possibly use different abilities to Isaac so we get even more variety. I even think his Move ability could push inwards, to bring people closer so he can wail away with his stronger physical attacks. This could be a good way to distinguish the two better. Also would love to see Odyssey as his final smash to be similar to Isaac's, only horizontal.
Note: An echo would be fine, they'd just have to make them the same height which might feel a bit odd. Happy either way.

Stage: Venus Lighthouse - A prominent location in the series as both the conclusion to Golden Sun and beginning of The Lost Age. I think it's the most iconic place in Wayard that represents the series. Plus they could have a hazard of the Lighthouse splitting apart. I would even go as far as wanting Saturos and Menardi as stage hazards, casting eruptions you have to dodge.

Assist Trophy: Jenna - Chosen because she means the most to both Isaac and Felix, and is an important character in both arcs. Obviously any character or Djinni would be suitable but I imagine there's only going to be one trophy so Jenna was my top choice. I can see her casting some Mars synergy across the stage. She could end up doing a lot of AoE to the point where it'd be beneficial to K.O. her fast. Serpent Fume is quite iconic for her in my mind.

Item: Spark Shuriken - This one was really hard to think of because I'm not all that familiar with the items in the series unless they're special weapons. There also aren't that many items in the games overall that could bring something unique. This was my best find because you can shoot lightning projectiles. That's kinda cool.

Music: Isaac Battle / Saturos Battle / Saturos & Menardi / Jenna Battle / Venus Lighthouse / Overworld - Most of these should go without saying, and there's definitely more I'd be happy to see added.

Sakurai would have to be very generous to provide everything on this list, and I would be ecstatic if he did. However, even the bare minimal of having Isaac in the base roster would make me very happy, and satisfy a 16 year old wish.
something I frequently see overlooked on Item wishlists is the Psyergy items like the pound cube or the cloak ball for example

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Just out of curiosity, and if you remember, what characters did you guys vote for in the ballot? For me it was:
-isaac: duh
-geno: duh
-crono: I had recently replayed chrono trigger and felt hopeful :p
-Roy: ended up being a waste of votes...lol
-dark samus: at the time ridley felt impossible to make it and I really wanted more metroid representation

What about you guys?

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Just out of curiosity, and if you remember, what characters did you guys vote for in the ballot? For me it was:
-dark samus: at the time ridley felt impossible to make it and I really wanted more metroid representation

What about you guys?
Definitely only Isaac

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Just out of curiosity, and if you remember, what characters did you guys vote for in the ballot?
I actually only voted once, as I had no idea if my vote's would be overidden, and I kinda felt like it was a bit more honest(Not that voting for multiple characters is wrong, it's just the kind of person I have always been). in the end, I voted for Shantae. I had just played through Pirate's Curse and saw the support and effort behind her, so I voted for her.

I will say, Shantae is tied with Geno as my most wanted character. I have a hard time choosing one over the other, so I figured they could just share the spot. I just wish there was good art that had the two together. When it comes to Issac, he is easily secound behind them.

Edit: Added some things. I got confused what thread I was on. Has been a kinda loopy day for me.

Last edited:

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
I actually only voted once, as I had no idea if my vote's would be overidden, and I kinda felt like it was a bit more honest(Not that voting for multiple characters is wrong, it's just the kind of person I have always been). Even so, I ddi actually vote for Shantae. I had just played through Pirate's Curse and saw the support and effort behind her, so I voted for her.

I will say, Shantae is tied with Geno as my most wanted character. I have a hard time choosing one over the other, so I figured they could just share the spot. I just wish there was good art that had the two together.
Yeah I don't recall if they specified if it was one vote per ip, but I feel like you were allowed to vote a number of times a day (maybe 10?) I might be wrong but I was under that impression anyways

Back in those days I guess you could say I blindly "hated" the idea of shantae in smash because I would've preferred shovel knight as an indie rep, but honestly now that I know a bit more about the character I would actually be perfectly fine with her as a fighter and I'd be happy for your passionate fanbase

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Back in those days I guess you could say I blindly "hated" the idea of shantae in smash because I would've preferred shovel knight as an indie rep, but honestly now that I know a bit more about the character I would actually be perfectly fine with her as a fighter and I'd be happy for your passionate fanbase
It's nice to hear that your views changed like that.

PokiehlthePoet

Smash Apprentice
Jon may not know info about the game itself but he definitely knows info on the directs before they are shown. Gamexplain always has prediction videos go up before a direct and before the August Smash direct Jon “predicted” they would use a sound to hint at a newcomer. In that direct we got the stomping sound while the screen shakes before King K Rool. Before the last direct someone predicted Isabelle would be shown with possibly another echo fighter but Jon said he highly doubts Isabelle would be an echo fighter and then said something about it being funny if she used a fishing rod.

So we can safely assume he gets inside info on the directs because he also called all those Final Fantasy games coming as well!
The fishing rod thing doesnt surprise me cause I feel like if you asked someone to guess away at what an AC characters moveset might, based on the common in-game activities and items, fishing could be a valid guess at what a possible tool in their moveset could be.

The stomp thing seems way to accurate to be a guess...That part is weird to me...
Predicting the FF games seems odd as well

Because it's true, if Golden Sun wasn't dormant and was continually well-received, we'd probably have him by now.
Too bad Golden Suns WiiU port didnt do the trick I guess.. xD but yeah not having a decent release for over a decade probably doesnt help anything, I still believe/hope his demand will beat out his dormance though.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

What about you guys?
I voted for Isaac like ten times, and Rayman around three times, then I gave single votes to character like Isa Jo, Mike Jones. King K.Rool, Banjo (all on different IP addresses of course)

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Strangely enough, I finished my first play through of Golden Sun not long after the Smash Ballot started. So yeah, Isaac definitely got a vote from me.
Edit: wording

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I agree with Jon, I don't think it's overly likely but I think it's definitely possible. It's just that his chances would improve exponentially with regular games and/or louder recent(ish) reception.
We;'d have had him by now if Dark Dawn was a million seller with at least an 85 on metacritic. His do or die now pends on how well he did in the ballot. That will be what sinks, or sails the ship. Thankfully, all the numbers about the ballot online says the ship sails. But we just have to wait.

Top Bottom