• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
> Falcon is used as a sign in his own track. View attachment 169706

I'm not sure they actually care to give attention to the franchise if this is how they treat their characters.

(Though, The Art of X certainly gives me a good memory of when the Mario Kart team made the 2 games was...Good times...)
My guess is that the team didn't feel like Captain Falcon fit the general feel of 8, or decided they didn't want to shove him into either the Zelda pack or the Animal Crossing pack, or both. Either way, I have faith that F-Zero will return. When, I don't know. But soon.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
My guess is that the team didn't feel like Captain Falcon fit the general feel of 8, or decided they didn't want to shove him into either the Zelda pack or the Animal Crossing pack, or both. Either way, I have faith that F-Zero will return. When, I don't know. But soon.
To me it's silly how mk8 brought f-zero tracks, the BLUE FALCON, and then thought it was a good idea to put captain falcon on a sign :p

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
To me it's silly how mk8 brought f-zero tracks, the BLUE FALCON, and then thought it was a good idea to put captain falcon on a sign :p
Yeah, it really does feel like F-Zero kinda got the shaft in 8. I'll bet we seem for real soon though!

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
My guess is that the team didn't feel like Captain Falcon fit the general feel of 8
Link_(Mario_Kart_8).jpg

o - o

I honestly feel bad whenever i drive the Blue Falcon. Because it's like "I'm driving a dead man's car."

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Well, Skyward Sword (and Breath of the Wild)'s cartoony aesthetic fits in more with Mario Kart, as opposed to the sorta realistic style of the more recent F-Zero games, at least in my opinion. But yeah, Captain Falcon should've been in the game anyway.
Yes, because a guy in tights that shouts his attacks and has a a phrase "show me your moves" is incredibly realistic and edgy.

loOk aT tHe ReaLiSm, gUyS.
Falcon.jpg

why does F-Zero's art style seen as edgy and realistic? and how would that stop them at all? If Mute City and Big Blue can look about as colorful as a standard Mario Kart track, i don't really see how that stops these characters one bit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Get Geno and King K. Rool in too, add all three and we got something.

I guess.

D

Deleted member

We're going to reach 600 pages by bickering about F-Zero.

Remember when we talked about Golden Sun?

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Unless Nintendo comes out and outright says that the trademark renewal was because they're working on a new game, then there's no reason for us to assume that's the case. It could simply be that Nintendo is consolidating their series trademarks to one year so they can just renew them in bulk every ten years. Who knows.
And it's still uncertain how well Isaac did on the poll. I know a lot of people are rooting for him now, but I'm willing to bet a vast majority are people who voted for Ridley, K Rool, Dark Samus, etc and are vying for Isaac to be added now that their most wanted's are in.
People have been clamoring for Isaac too long for him to suddenly bomb in the one poll that actually mattered. If Dark Samus managed to get quite a lot of votes amongst the Metroid fandom that was split between the enormous support for Ridley. Then Isaac as the main protagonist had all the support of the entirety of the Golden Sun fandom behind him (there was probs some votes for Felix/Matthew too, which only helps the Golden Sun series in general to finally get its rep).

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Yes, because a guy in tights that shouts his attacks and has a a phrase "show me your moves" is incredibly realistic and edgy.

loOk aT tHe ReaLiSm, gUyS.
View attachment 169716

why does F-Zero's art style seen as edgy and realistic? and how would that stop them at all? If Mute City and Big Blue can look about as colorful as a standard Mario Kart track, i don't really see how that stops these characters one bit.
I want to get this thread back on track, but I have to add that I don't consider F-Zero's art style "realistic and edgy", just it doesn't really match Mario's style of cartoony. If I had to make a comparison, it'd be that F-Zero is anime-style, and Mario (and Zelda, to an extent) have more of a "Saturday-morning cartoon" style, if that makes sense. I wanted Captain Falcon in 8 as well, but I'm just trying to provide some potential reasoning as to why he wasn't.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
you guys hear about this fake leaker who was dumb enough to use his 4chan account name across all of his real social media? Long story short 4chan came out of the woodworks armed with torches and pitch forks

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I want to get this thread back on track, but I have to add that I don't consider F-Zero's art style "realistic and edgy", just it doesn't really match Mario's style of cartoony. If I had to make a comparison, it'd be that F-Zero is anime-style, and Mario (and Zelda, to an extent) have more of a "Saturday-morning cartoon" style, if that makes sense. I wanted Captain Falcon in 8 as well, but I'm just trying to provide some potential reasoning as to why he wasn't.
I don't think I consider those art style to look like "Saturday morning cartoons".

And what's the difference really? If you just put his art on the billboard, wouldn't that contrast with the "art style" anyway? Lol.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
> Falcon is used as a sign in his own track. View attachment 169706

I'm not sure they actually care to give attention to the franchise if this is how they treat their characters.

(Though, The Art of X certainly gives me a good memory of when the Mario Kart team made the 2 games was...Good times...)
I think the Mario Kart 8 team and Nintendo do like F-Zero, but are not capable of developing the game on their own. They probably thought giving the F-Zero franchise a nod would be nice.

You forgot Golden Sun :D
Golden Sun may very well be coming back, but a series like it must be handled with the upmost of care. The only series I believe that may not get revived is Magical Starsign due to the falling out with the developers from the Brownie Brown group.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
You guys gonna main isaac despite of how he plays? just curious, I certainly would

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I don't think I consider those art style to look like "Saturday morning cartoons".

And what's the difference really? If you just put his art on the billboard, wouldn't that contrast with the "art style" anyway? Lol.
Fair enough. I just hope Nintendo realizes the mistake they're making and gives a new F-Zero (and Golden Sun) very soon!

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
You guys gonna main isaac despite of how he plays? just curious, I certainly would
I probably would.

I think the Mario Kart 8 team and Nintendo do like F-Zero, but are not capable of developing the game on their own. They probably thought giving the F-Zero franchise a nod would be nice.
Isn't that just flipping special then. >.> We got 2 F-Zero tracks...after 11 years.

Last edited:

TappyBat

Smash Ace
People have been clamoring for Isaac too long for him to suddenly bomb in the one poll that actually mattered. If Dark Samus managed to get quite a lot of votes amongst the Metroid fandom that was split between the enormous support for Ridley. Then Isaac as the main protagonist had all the support of the entirety of the Golden Sun fandom behind him (there was probs some votes for Felix/Matthew too, which only helps the Golden Sun series in general to finally get its rep).
how high did he place tho? was it only enough to enter snowglobe hell? not enough so he'll be left out entirely again?

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Yeah, absolutely. Luckily for me, my current mains (Robin & Corrin), happen to fit the general archetype of Isaac: tactical swordfighters. Hopefully, he comes with some form of stage control, tying in with my planned main for Ultimate (secondary if Isaac is playable): Snake.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Isn't that just flipping special then. >.> We got 2 F-Zero tracks...after 11 years.
At least it shows F-Zero is still thought about in Nintendo's main family development team. That could translate to the Mario Kart 8 team willing to work on a new F-Zero title they would just need better direction. They would also need Nintendo to market/advertise the games.

Seriously, Nintendo never markets their games as much as they should. The games made are solid, but it doesn't matter if nobody knows it is coming out.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
At least it shows F-Zero is still thought about in Nintendo's main family development team. That could translate to the Mario Kart 8 team willing to work on a new F-Zero title they would just need better direction. They would also need Nintendo to market/advertise the games.

Seriously, Nintendo never markets their games as much as they should. The games made are solid, but it doesn't matter if nobody knows it comes out.
I remember Miyamoto saying that "we should play the Nintendo Land to tide us over". But I don't think it was a good enough mini-game. (That just goes to show you how bad they've treated the fanbase so far.)

That's probably why the tracks don't really give me anything, because they can always claim that they care, but until I see a good effort to actually make the franchise relevant again, I really don't think I can believe them.

Because the DLC would've sold without Mute City or Big Blue. But they just added it in there cause they wanted to, not because they wanted to test the waters.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If Isaac doesn't appear in the base game at all I'm definitely going to be feeling positive about his dlc chances.

Even moreso if even the Golden Sun music gets removed.

I don't think any sensible argument can be made for the base game not having any Golden Sun content in it. Especially considering Golden Sun did have an impact on the ballot. (not to mention Golden Sun is likely the number one Nintendo IP on the ballot still without a playable rep) You don't need an exit poll to tell you that much.

In the end I feel pretty strongly that Isaac at least performed well enough in the ballot to be an assist trophy, so his absence would be very very telling in my opinion.

(I know the same thing happened for the previous game but I think all the possible reasons for that are no longer valid now. You can't say Sakurai doesn't know how popular he is or that the Switch won't be able to handle his assist trophy)

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I remember Miyamoto saying that "we should play the Nintendo Land to tide us over". But I don't think it was a good enough mini-game. (That just goes to show you how bad they've treated the fanbase so far.)

That's probably why the tracks don't really give me anything, because they can always claim that they care, but until I see a good effort to actually make the franchise relevant again, I really don't think I can believe them.

Because the DLC would've sold without Mute City or Big Blue. But they just added it in there cause they wanted to, not because they wanted to test the waters.
Miyamoto has a very unpleasant way to discuss topics. Sakurai did wonder where Captain Falcon's next game was.

I think the situation measures to:
  1. Nintendo not having in house staff that could develop the game.
  2. Falsely believes F-Zero needs a new gimmick to "justify" making the game.
  3. Some of Nintendo's team wanted to add F-Zero as a homage while others want a new game.

MatthewVenusAdept

Smash Cadet
Is it possible to move the f-zero conversation to a differnent thread or something? I see alot of disrespect and aggression that, honestly, doesn't need to be in the Isaac thread. We are already hated enough for some reason, it isn't helping. Please?

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Is it possible to move the f-zero conversation to a differnent thread or something? I see alot of disrespect and aggression that, honestly, doesn't need to be in the Isaac thread. We are already hated enough for some reason, it isn't helping. Please?
I'm still gonna be aggressive and disrespectful when talking about Golden Sun anyway, so it's not like the tone will change lol.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Alright. Let us talk who on Nintendo's team could help with the development of Golden Sun.
Besides Camelot and the Takahashi brothers what team should be brought together to work on the remake/remaster of Golden Sun for Switch?

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Alright. Let us talk who on Nintendo's team could help with the development of Golden Sun.
Besides Camelot and the Takahashi brothers what team should be brought together to work on the remake/remaster of Golden Sun for Switch?
Monolith. But that depends if they have enough to spare.

The rest could either be 3rd or 2nd parties.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Just slap Monolith in to aid any Nintendo JRPG and they will improve it. Heck, I want them to design a Pokémon region someday.

As for 3rd parties... ATLUS?

Last edited:

MatthewVenusAdept

Smash Cadet
Monolith soft if they keep their grubby hands off the designs of the characters and monsters and stick to helping with the world design, like with BOTW.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
how high did he place tho? was it only enough to enter snowglobe hell? not enough so he'll be left out entirely again?
I don't think placings matter perse, not in the sense that Sakurai would only choose to make top 5 playable or something. Isaac's last game was years ago and the series is currently considered inactive, but if despite that he manages to receive a considerable amount of votes (like 2nd voted new franchise after Splatoon), and he's right behind the likes of K. Rool and some vets, that's very telling. I mean I can't really think of another new Nintendo franchise that's more wanted in Smash than Golden Sun, or as much as Golden Sun now that Splatoon is in.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Who would be the other 2nd and 3rd teams? Anything special in mind?
I mean, the only development teams i can think of with any experience with RPG's is Greezo. Who had just worked on that RPG for the 3DS. And Hal (who someone said helped with custom robo 64)

The 3rd party studios are Marvolous (Monster Hunter Stories), Atlus (SMT), Level-5(Yo-Kai), Tri-Crescendo (Baiten Kaitos), M2 (Fossil Fighters), Bandai Namco (You really need a reference?), MistWalker (The Last Story and Blue Dragon Plus), Grasshopper (Shining Soul 1 and 2), Platinum Games (That RPG they're making that i can't remember), and that's not including the companies who could still supply programmers without experience with RPG's.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, absolutely. Luckily for me, my current mains (Robin & Corrin), happen to fit the general archetype of Isaac: tactical swordfighters. Hopefully, he comes with some form of stage control, tying in with my planned main for Ultimate (secondary if Isaac is playable): Snake.
Yes this, I've always been flexible with who I play. I mained random against my friends in brawl. I will make my playstyle adapt to Isaac.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sorry to say, but N3ON N3ON might be right.
Star Fox racing has been heavily rumored.
And Mario Kart 9? Yeah, they would have Mario Kart's team just continuously making mario kart games because Nintendo just does it for money. And only money.
Shocker that a business is more business-minded than altruistic... it's not worth getting too shaken up over since it really should be a foregone conclusion.

But yeah, a port, deluxe as it might be, released at the beginning of a console's life isn't going to capitalize on the potential of Nintendo's most lucrative IP (on a per-game-basis).

I mean, people think we aren't going to get another Mario Kart next because we've already got one on Switch, yet they think we'll get another ARMS? A game we also already have on Switch, is significantly less profitable, and was more recently released? Doesn't make sense.

At this point, I'm just tired of this Mario kart series. I never thought I'd ask for a popular franchise to take a break, but GDI take a ****ing break.

Edit: In fact, Take a 13 year break. See how the ****ing Mario Kart fans like it.
How spiteful and petulant it is to wish upon a fanbase a waning of titles simply because a series you like has stopped getting games. It won't bring you what you want.

I think the idea is so stupid not even Nintendo would consider it.
Just because you think it sounds dumb doesn't change the fact that it was one of the most ubiquitously leaked games in a good while.

This is why I think we’re definitely getting a ton of franchises revived and new IPs. Yeah, there can eventually be sequels to BotW, Odyssey, Xenoblade, et al, but that’s going to take a while. I think Advance Wars, F-Zero and Punch-Out are 100% coming back.
We probably will get a sprinkling of smaller franchises, but almost all of Nintendo's big franchises either have multiple teams or very large teams working on them so as to be able to provide regular iterations of those IPs. It's not like the Mario or Pokemon IP will get exhausted, they'll just keep putting more out. It's not like, "oh, we got Kirby. We got Fire Emblem. I guess that's it for them then." We'll just get another like two years later.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I'd say Monolith for world only. I don't want them touching character design or especially gameplay (I'm not a big of action-RPGs like Xenoblade, so let's keep Golden Sun a traditional RPG please). Maybe 1-UP studio? They did have a hand in Mother 3 (in a past life), but I'm not sure if the RPG staff is still there. Other than that, I'd bet both Bandai-Namco and Square's Octopath teams would be great choices. I wish Camelot still the talent to develop this all on its own, but they let that chance slip away. As long as the Takahashi brothers are directing, I bet it'll be great.

Top Bottom