• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I'm pretty confident he won't become the next big meme until Waluigi is revealed to be a character- his fans are many, vocal, and honestly have a relatively good claim to make (plus Waluigi is meme gold).
Yeah, Waluigi will always be the meme king. Isaac and his fan base might be ridiculed for a short bit, but I don’t think it’ll be on the level of Ridley.

That being said I’m confident we won’t have to worry about that.

Everything is looking to be in our favor. If our boy isn’t base roster, then DLC. We just need to keep being heard.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Personally I prefer Persona 4 to 3 but I guess that could because it was the first one I played. Though I'd say I also prefer Persona 2 to 3 as well to be honest. (the story and tone was more interesting to me) I think when I first played Persona 3 the unique gameplay didn't have as much of an impact since I'd already experienced it in 4.

The only Persona games I haven't played is the original Persona, the sequel to Persona 2 (Eternal Punishment) and Persona 5. (well I also haven't played the Persona Q and dancing Persona games, but they're more like spinoffs)

There's something very special about the way Persona 3/4 (presumably 5) progress their story. Since you live out each day you really get the time to grow attached to the characters and the world.

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I don't understand, why do people believe the Steve leak?
Steve would be the first character in smash whit 0 personnality, he is just a skin, not even a character.
Why would Sakurai pick him instead of a CHARACTER?
Because Smash is also a celebration of gaming history. Now I’m not on the Steve bandwagon by any means, but Minecraft is a big part of gaming history. It’s the best selling indie game of all time. And still prints money even a decade later. I wouldn’t be surprised if Smash has some Minecraft in it. That being said a stage is the perfect way to represent the game. Not a playable character.

Pyzlnar

Smash Apprentice
You know what REALLY bugs me about the Rathalos Tweet? Sakurai didn't actually post the picture that's on the Smash Bros website, he flat out screenshot it with the AT list showing. Like, why?!?

One could argue that he did it so we know where to look for the pic, but that seems so unnecessary when he could have said where the pic was. Either A) he's crazy or B) there's more to this pic than meets the eye.
Huh.
I don't want to dig too much into that because it seems a bit farfetched, but I do think you bring up an interesting point. :o

osby

Smash Obsessed
Because Smash is also a celebration of gaming history. Now I’m not on the Steve bandwagon by any means, but Minecraft is a big part of gaming history. It’s the best selling indie game of all time. And still prints money even a decade later. I wouldn’t be surprised if Smash has some Minecraft in it. That being said a stage is the perfect way to represent the game. Not a playable character.
While I agree a Minecraft stage would be great, "a stage would be more suited" didn't prevent us from getting Villager or PAC-MAN (I heard it for both) and I think they were good additions. It's a "why not both?" situation.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Actually, weren't people bringing up a possible minecraft stage or AT before the Steve leak happened?

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
If the only reason we should put Steve in is for business reasons, perhaps we should rethink Steve being a "good choice" then.

Also, animal Crossing and G&W are owned by Nintendo themselves. And unlike Minecraft, they don't need to pay a crap ton of money just to get a licease for a character that probably wasn't all that popular during the Smash ballot.

I mean, I'm already sick of Minecraft being shoved in my face in YouTube ads and website ads. I don't want Smash Bros contributing to my annoyance.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
While I agree a Minecraft stage would be great, "a stage would be more suited" didn't prevent us from getting Villager or PAC-MAN (I heard it for both) and I think they were good additions. It's a "why not both?" situation.
PAC-MAN is an actual character and his move set consists of a mix of his own games and other Nampo props.

Villager is a lot like Steve I suppose, but has the added bonus of being able to emote instantly giving him an edge compared to Steve.

Actually, weren't people bringing up a possible minecraft stage or AT before the Steve leak happened?
Yep that was the case before Verge alluded to the possibility that it was a PC.

For me, the BIGGEST point I have for Steve not being in the game is the backlash that would ensue if he was.

Steve is a Microsoft rep. So is Banjo and Kazooie. And this is coming from someone whos played hundreds of hours of Minecraft and 0 hours of B&K, the bear and bird deserve a spot on the roster far more than Steve of all things.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
When does the reddit poll end? Isaac got 1700 votes to banjo's 1977, which is way better than i thought he'd get, but Phoenix Wright got 1900. Are we going against Phoenix next?

osby

Smash Obsessed
If the only reason we should put Steve in is for business reasons, perhaps we should rethink Steve being a "good choice" then.

Also, animal Crossing and G&W are owned by Nintendo themselves. And unlike Minecraft, they don't need to pay a crap ton of money just to get a licease for a character that probably wasn't all that popular during the Smash ballot.

I mean, I'm already sick of Minecraft being shoved in my face in YouTube ads and website ads. I don't want Smash Bros contributing to my annoyance.
It's not "only business". Minecraft is a good game and some people want to play as Steve in Smash.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
I think people underestimate how mad people would be if Steve got in, especially if there was no Banjo in sight (or worse, Banjo AT). This is the Isaac thread, which is known for being relatively chill with other newcomers, yet we have many people strongly saying "God no" to his inclusion.

I don't even want to imagine the reaction on Gamefaqs, Reddit, or 4chan if he got in. Would make Corrin a beloved character by comparison

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
It's not "only business". Minecraft is a good game and some people want to play as Steve in Smash.
You mean less than 100 people.

Honestly though, it's an average game.

Also, ofc it's for business reasons. Where the hell were all the Steve supporters during the ballot? It's not like the ballot helped his wack ass get into smash.

Banjo will get in before Steve will as a playable character.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This is far from the true. Minecraft IS a good game, but nobody gives a **** about Steve or actively wants him in Smash because he's not a character. "Minecraft Steve for Smash" is merely a meme. Its basically saying "Yeah, Nintendo doesn't give a **** about what the fans want, they're going to include something off-the-wall cuz sales and nothing more". Because that would be the ULTIMATE slap-in-the-face. Contacting MS to get a character in Smash, and getting anyone that isn't Banjo-Kazooie, who the fans were really clamouring for. Especially after adding K. Rool specifically because of the Smash Bros. Fighter ballot.

And I cannot possibly see Nintendo, Sakurai, or Microsoft (Phil Spencer) going for this. Adding something Minecraft related because they already worked out a deal to include Banjo, though? THAT I can see happening.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I think people underestimate how mad people would be if Steve got in, especially if there was no Banjo in sight (or worse, Banjo AT). This is the Isaac thread, which is known for being relatively chill with other newcomers, yet we have many people strongly saying "God no" to his inclusion.

I don't even want to imagine the reaction on Gamefaqs, Reddit, or 4chan if he got in. Would make Corrin a beloved character by comparison
Minecraft has accrued a reputation of being a kids game, a casual game, and a game for Normies. These are mostly true imo. Nintendo games have a similar reputation, despite the age stats of the average Nintendo fan being much older than the average MC or fortnite player. I think a part of the reason most smash fans recoil at the idea of a playable MC character is the fact that Nintendo fans in general have been trying for decades to shed the stigma of being "for kids".

osby

Smash Obsessed
You mean less than 100 people.
I don't have the exact numbers.

Honestly though, it's an average game.
It's probably the best sandbox game ever made.

Also, ofc it's for business reasons. Where the hell were all the Steve supporters during the ballot? It's not like the ballot helped his wack *** get into smash.
We don't really have the ballot results.

Banjo will get in before Steve will as a playable character.
We don't know that yet.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I missed this part as well.

Thing is, "a state would be more suited" is exactly what happened with Animal Crossing. Are people forgetting AC had a stage in Brawl, but not a playable fighter? And again, the real fact about the situation is this:

Minecraft IS a good game, but nobody gives a **** about Steve or actively wants him in Smash because he's not a character. "Minecraft Steve for Smash" is merely a meme. Its basically saying "Yeah, Nintendo doesn't give a **** about what the fans want, they're going to include something off-the-wall cuz sales and nothing more". Because that would be the ULTIMATE slap-in-the-face. Contacting MS to get a character in Smash, and getting anyone that isn't Banjo-Kazooie, who the fans were really clamouring for. Especially after adding K. Rool specifically because of the Smash Bros. Fighter ballot.

And I cannot possibly see Nintendo, Sakurai, or Microsoft (Phil Spencer) going for this. Adding something Minecraft related because they already worked out a deal to include Banjo, though? THAT I can see happening.
This is why there's no chance in hell Steve will be playable in Smash, at least before Banjo-Kazooie. Or agreed upon at the same time, even. (Banjo base and Steve as DLC, maybe, but even that I find highly unlikely.)

I don't have the exact numbers.

It's probably the best sandbox game ever made.

We don't really have the ballot results.

We don't know that yet.
The idea that there's a massive number of people voting for Minecraft Steve is ridiculous. Its easily one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
This is far from the true. Minecraft IS a good game, but nobody gives a **** about Steve or actively wants him in Smash because he's not a character. "Minecraft Steve for Smash" is merely a meme. Its basically saying "Yeah, Nintendo doesn't give a **** about what the fans want, they're going to include something off-the-wall cuz sales and nothing more". Because that would be the ULTIMATE slap-in-the-face. Contacting MS to get a character in Smash, and getting anyone that isn't Banjo-Kazooie, who the fans were really clamouring for. Especially after adding K. Rool specifically because of the Smash Bros. Fighter ballot.

Steve was kind of like the Chorus Boys back in Smash 4 or Incineroar right now.

The fanbase was pretty small until rumors that he was in the game (probably to the Chorus Boys rumored one of the Chorus boy's was supported or another Rhythm Heaven character like Karate Joe). I don't mean the MineCraft fanbase is small, its huge, I mean that the amount of people rooting for him was small until the rumors have popped up.

That being said legends like Pac-Man and Nintendo characters (who are essentially family members) should be held to a different standard than 3rd party characters who I think should be legends like Pac-Man or Snake. Of course this is my opinion right now. The upside to Steve's inclusion for me is that will turn MineCraft kids potentially into the worlds of Metroid, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Mother, essentially the non "Youtube" side of gaming.

Also I actually can see Steve getting in before Banjo. I like Banjo, but look at the Smash 4 choices. Its very possible Steve gets in.

D

Deleted member

There's some Minecon event tomorrow correct. It's bassically an event where Minecraft fans come together to celebrate and discuss the game with creators Mojang. Don't think anything about Steve will be announced but interesting all the same.

Hope it's Isaac that gets instead but I will be okay if Steven... I mean Steve gets in.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Well we now wait for later or tomorrow for the poll results and next round, let's hope Isaac makes it. Tbh I am not particularly fond on the new format for voting but I hope it doesn't turn people away

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's nothing, I see Minecraft stuff everywhere I go that's big enough. Guidebooks, plushes, Lego sets, spin-off comics, unofficial spin-off novels, even obscure Canadian children's books inspired by Minecraft aesthetics.

There's some Minecon event tomorrow correct. It's bassically an event where Minecraft fans come together to celebrate and discuss the game with creators Mojang. Don't think anything about Steve will be announced but interesting all the same.

Hope it's Isaac that gets instead but I will be okay if Steven... I mean Steve gets in.
At least it's a short killswitch. Probably nothing to worry about.

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but the games all take place in the same world, and will throw in cameos and references to past titles. There’s an entire section of Persona 4 that is a fantastic homage to Persona 3. But if you haven’t played 3, it’ll just seem like a normal part of 4. It won’t be a bad part of the game at all (some great stuff happens in that section). You just won’t get as much out of it.

Persona 3 was where I feel the series got its own identity, and it started the format that is now familiar as the Persona style of game. Persona 1 was very clearly a Shin Megami Tensei spin-off, and it did not age well. Persona 2 is apparently really good, and does have some good backstory for the series, but is really hard to find due to odd translations.

So 3, 4, and 5 are kind of considered their own series now. But you can play any of them without playing the others.

5 is fantastic. 4 is good, I just don’t think ATLUS was used to handling the lighter tone it aims for, so it’s not as strong as 5 or 3 (it is still a great game. Like Dark Dawn, it’s not as good, but that’s a high bar to match).

And 3 is just... 3 is amazing. Everyone should play it at some point.
I really want to try it now... But I checked and it's on PS2:(
Is there any remaster or port on PS3/4 ?

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Wow, I leave for a day, I come back and suddenly it's all doom and gloom over Steve. Did something big drop yesterday, leak wise, that implied he would be in?

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Wow, I leave for a day, I come back and suddenly it's all doom and gloom over Steve. Did something big drop yesterday, leak wise, that implied he would be in?
Not that I know of, just Minecon being imminent getting people jittery

As the Skull Kid thread would put it, Dawn of the Second Day

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I really want to try it now... But I checked and it's on PS2:(
Is there any remaster or port on PS3/4 ?
If I recall correctly, only Persona 4 and 5 was on PS3 (5 is also on PS4). For Persona 3, I think most people use emulators.

EDIT: Some games also ported to Vita and Portable but that's it.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Minecraft didn't even come to the Wii U until well after the smash ballot was over. Of course Steve could have gotten some votes regardless, but people were voting with the intention of getting a playable character in Smash 4. So most of the votes were going to cut veterans like Roy, Wolf, and Snake or long requested characters like K. Rool.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I really doubt a Steve reveal is going to happen at that Minecon event.

So Smash Bros not making an appearance at that event tomorrow is going to mean absolutely nothing.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Minecraft IS a good game, but nobody gives a **** about Steve or actively wants him in Smash because he's not a character.
Let's not kid ourselves; if you want interesting or well-developed characters only in Smash, Bayonetta and Lucina would be the poster children and everyone from Mario to Duck Hunt Dog to Isaac would be in the trash bin. Being a "character" (or having animations or an obvious moveset) is not a prerequisite or even a boon for being in Smash Bros, re: Mr. Game and Watch and Wii Fit Trainer...

I don't think we can overstate the cultural impact of Minecraft. It's the Legos of the 2010's. It's the same thing kids today grow up on, enjoy and love that gives fond memories, one of the games that get you through childhood and adolescence loving video games. That's what Pac-Man, Tetris and Super Mario Bros were to my parents, what Sonic the Hedgehog, Pokemon, and Golden Sun were to me. Minecraft, by any sales or influence metric, deserves to be represented prominently in gaming's history.

If I were to guess as to why there's such a negative blowback for Steve, it's because of that generational gap. While everyone has probably played it, including my 30 year-old butt, Minecraft was that formative experience for the next generation. It was, and is, a young kids game, someone who is 15-19 now would probably have great memories about it. In my mind, I learned how fun video games could be from Golden Sun or Majora's Mask, but I'm old. And there's some kind of perceived superiority with people of a certain age or maturity because they want to feel more advanced or experienced or older to be cooler. And Minecraft's the opposite of that, right? I think it's more mature to realize what this game means for others.

It may not be your fondest game, but it's absolutely a great one. It's undeniably a popular one. And I can promise you it is the fondest, formative memories for so, so many young people across the world -- people who could possibly enjoy Smash Bros too. That is, if their personal history and experiences with video games were acknowledged and represented.

I've spent years trying to figure out what Sakurai meant by "have you ever made a game," but I think it's things like this.

Also, if Steve were in the game, it would all but guarantee the inclusion of Banjo and Kazooie too.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
I wouldnt really say it's a specific game that is causing a generational gap. Alot of older people enjoy modern releases.

I would say it's how they discovered these games. As a kid my mom let me play her super nintendo, my 1sts were super mario world and street fighter 2.

Now parents leave their kids with mobile devices to occupy their time. Mostly youtube. These kids discover minecraft while browsing youtube, this leads them to discover the bad clickbait logan paul keemstar side of youtube. They're kids and dont know any better so they kind of adopt their behavior.

I really think the minecraft stigma is a result of the dirtiness of mainstream youtube

edit: its not minecraft's fault really, undertale had a little phase like this too

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I've been a bit out of the loop lately, so... Why are people so confident about Minecraft's Steve all of a sudden?

Did I miss anything?

TappyBat

Smash Ace
I've been a bit out of the loop lately, so... Why are people so confident about Minecraft's Steve all of a sudden?

Did I miss anything?
some stupid leak like always. and since people still think veggiebun knows everything, they moved on to the flavor of the month, which is that garbage. -_-

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand, why do people believe the Steve leak?
Steve would be the first character in smash whit 0 personnality, he is just a skin, not even a character.
Why would Sakurai pick him instead of a CHARACTER?
There are other fighters that are blank slates: Miis and Villager (both are characters Sakurai was opposed to including in Brawl).
I do not want Steve but, I will try to point out any positives with the character.
1. Steve is the face of the game. People may not like the game for Steve but, people do not like Animal Crossing because of the character they play as (cause they are a blank slate).
2. Minecraft does have a rich enough universe to take moves from. I can see Steve using many tools like: a pickaxe, sword, splash potions, TNT, bow, shield, shovel, axe, flint and steel, and more. (Do some of these tools seem familiar :ultvillager:?)
I do not support Steve in Smash at all but, to call him an incredibly bland addition is quite the insult to just how expansive Minecraft's universe is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom