• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I know this topic may be uncomfortable, but do you guys think super smash bros ultimate will actually end up getting delayed just like brawl was? I bring this up because Sakurai brought up in that article earlier this week that they hope development will be finished on time.

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
I know this topic may be uncomfortable, but do you guys think super smash bros ultimate will actually end up getting delayed just like brawl was? I bring this up because Sakurai brought up in that article earlier this week that they hope development will be finished on time.
I didn't hear that. At any rate, I highly doubt it will be delayed.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I wouldnt really say it's a specific game that is causing a generational gap. Alot of older people enjoy modern releases.

I would say it's how they discovered these games. As a kid my mom let me play her super nintendo, my 1sts were super mario world and street fighter 2.

Now parents leave their kids with mobile devices to occupy their time. Mostly youtube. These kids discover minecraft while browsing youtube, this leads them to discover the bad clickbait logan paul keemstar side of youtube. They're kids and dont know any better so they kind of adopt their behavior.

I really think the minecraft stigma is a result of the dirtiness of mainstream youtube

edit: its not minecraft's fault really, undertale had a little phase like this too
So, in other words, stuck in fandom hell.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Brawl was delayed pretty much because of Sonic, so probably no.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Unless, of course, another character comes along like Sonic, who's just too good to not have in the base game. I doubt that, though, considering they can just do them as DLC now.
The only characters I can think of on the level of "too good to not have as base" are: Isaac, B&K, Geno, Sora, or some REALLY out of left field 3rd party character that could only happen once in a lifetime (i.e. Kratos, Master Chief, the Heavy, Twisted Fate).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Let's not kid ourselves; if you want interesting or well-developed characters only in Smash, Bayonetta and Lucina would be the poster children and everyone from Mario to Duck Hunt Dog to Isaac would be in the trash bin. Being a "character" (or having animations or an obvious moveset) is not a prerequisite or even a boon for being in Smash Bros, re: Mr. Game and Watch and Wii Fit Trainer...

I don't think we can overstate the cultural impact of Minecraft. It's the Legos of the 2010's. It's the same thing kids today grow up on, enjoy and love that gives fond memories, one of the games that get you through childhood and adolescence loving video games. That's what Pac-Man, Tetris and Super Mario Bros were to my parents, what Sonic the Hedgehog, Pokemon, and Golden Sun were to me. Minecraft, by any sales or influence metric, deserves to be represented prominently in gaming's history.

If I were to guess as to why there's such a negative blowback for Steve, it's because of that generational gap. While everyone has probably played it, including my 30 year-old butt, Minecraft was that formative experience for the next generation. It was, and is, a young kids game, someone who is 15-19 now would probably have great memories about it. In my mind, I learned how fun video games could be from Golden Sun or Majora's Mask, but I'm old. And there's some kind of perceived superiority with people of a certain age or maturity because they want to feel more advanced or experienced or older to be cooler. And Minecraft's the opposite of that, right? I think it's more mature to realize what this game means for others.

It may not be your fondest game, but it's absolutely a great one. It's undeniably a popular one. And I can promise you it is the fondest, formative memories for so, so many young people across the world -- people who could possibly enjoy Smash Bros too. That is, if their personal history and experiences with video games were acknowledged and represented.

I've spent years trying to figure out what Sakurai meant by "have you ever made a game," but I think it's things like this.

Also, if Steve were in the game, it would all but guarantee the inclusion of Banjo and Kazooie too.
As someone from the generation that grew up with Minecraft, I can assure you that is not the case. It’s actually kind of astonishing, but nobody really remembers Minecraft fondly. People who grew up on it didn’t go on to become gamers, so they look back and just see a childish diversion. Even the younger ones moved on to other things like Roblox or Fortnite.

I compare Minecraft to Avatar (the James Cameron movie). Everybody knows it. Everybody saw it. It was huge, highest-grossing movie of all time. And yet, for whatever reason, it didn’t seem to leave an impact in people. It’s certainly a piece of history, an achievement in innovation, but it didn’t awaken much passion.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
The only characters I can think of on the level of "too good to not have as base" are: Isaac, B&K, Geno, Sora, or some REALLY out of left field 3rd party character that could only happen once in a lifetime (i.e. Kratos, Master Chief, the Heavy, Twisted Fate).
I disagree on Sora, we know how complicated KH's copyright is so it's easier for all the companies involved to have him as DLC, if he ever does get in.

Last edited:

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:
Steve in the game, as someone who is part of the Minecraft generation, would be meh. You could have done better, you could have done worse. But honestly, you REALLY could have done better.

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
I just bought Bayonetta, I don't understand her final smash (she slows down time? That's it?) but her moveset is interesting.

Mewto and Cloud are the last ones I have yet to buy (alongside 2 stages).

Does anyone else here still buy the Sm4sh dlc?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not defending Steve possibly being in any way. I don't mind if he is but, if he does get in. His series is extremely popular, sold billions of units, Minecraft has games on the Wii U and Switch now, as well as Mario DLC skins for characters in the game.

Stampylonghead brought huge awareness to the game through his videos and fun ideas about it.

Minecon is a huge event for the fans that adore and love the series, only a big game can get something like that.

Super Smash Bros. is a game about Gaming's biggest icons coming together duking it out to determine who the best is. Steve based on everything Minecraft has done would fit that bill.

Again not defending his possible inclusion but Definetly he has things that warrant an inclusion.

But let's not worry Isaac still has a huge chance to get in and we should go on believing that he could get in.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I'm not defending Steve possibly being in any way. I don't mind if he is but, if he does get in. His series is extremely popular, sold billions of units, Minecraft has games on the Wii U and Switch now, as well as Mario DLC skins for characters in the game.

Stampylonghead brought huge awareness to the game through his videos and fun ideas about it.

Minecon is a huge event for the fans that adore and love the series, only a big game can get something like that.

Super Smash Bros. is a game about Gaming's biggest icons coming together duking it out to determine who the best is. Steve based on everything Minecraft has done would fit that bill.

Again not defending his possible inclusion but Definetly he has things that warrant an inclusion.

But let's not worry Isaac still has a huge chance to get in and we should go on believing that he could get in.
I'd argue Stampy came in at the tail-end of Minecraft hype on Youtube. If you want to know the real big names that helped popularize the game on Youtube, CaptainSparklez, SkyDoesMinecraft, Seananners and the Yogscast are the ones who originally made the game as big as it was on the platform, which gave people like Stampy and myself, a platform to create content in a post-Youtube era.

Trust me, I had to live and breath Minecraft Youtube for a good eight years as my channel's focus until just a few months ago was entirely Minecraft based.

D

Deleted member

I'd argue Stampy came in at the tail-end of Minecraft hype on Youtube. If you want to know the real big names that helped popularize the game on Youtube, CaptainSparklez, SkyDoesMinecraft, Seananners and the Yogscast are the ones who originally made the game as big as it was on the platform, which gave people like Stampy and myself, a platform to create content in a post-Youtube era.

Trust me, I had to live and breath Minecraft Youtube for a good eight years as my channel's focus until just a few months ago was entirely Minecraft based.
Ah yes I've heard of CaptainSparklez they did work hard and good on al the creators that worked hard on the game and made it big. Also had no idea you were on here Billybo10K? Your doing great work on YouTube with your content keep up the great work. Also all the best to you and all Minecraft creators.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
As someone from the generation that grew up with Minecraft, I can assure you that is not the case. It’s actually kind of astonishing, but nobody really remembers Minecraft fondly. People who grew up on it didn’t go on to become gamers, so they look back and just see a childish diversion. Even the younger ones moved on to other things like Roblox or Fortnite.

I compare Minecraft to Avatar (the James Cameron movie). Everybody knows it. Everybody saw it. It was huge, highest-grossing movie of all time. And yet, for whatever reason, it didn’t seem to leave an impact in people. It’s certainly a piece of history, an achievement in innovation, but it didn’t awaken much passion.
I know I'm outside of that generation so I guess this isn't super relevant but personally speaking I got a lot more into playing Terraria at the time than I did Minecraft. I just felt Terraria had way more personality. (and it was easier to feel like you were making progress, something I never really got from Minecraft)

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master

Hmmm. If you think about it, though, is there a need to fondly remember something that's still alive and active? The game stays fresh with new updates and hundreds of mods, so looking back at older versions to reminisce is a little redundant almost, for those who are still a part of its huge community. That's the difference between Minecraft and Avatar. Avatar is dead, Minecraft isn't.

And like you said, the people who played it and moved on mostly seem to be people who also moved on from games in general.

Last edited:

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Just wanna point out that Wii Fit as a voice a least. The Player character in Minecraft does not even make human sound.

D

Deleted member

I had no idea Billybo10K was on here holy shoot that's like one of probably like the coolest thing that's ever happened to me on here. Aside from when King K. Rool got in of course, he's a great Smash content creator and Minecraft creator and does amazing videos. So if you want Smash news and rumors check him out also huge Golden Sun fan so great to see him. All the best to him he's killing it with the videos.

Anyway whatever happens I still have faith in Isaac being in.

If Steve is one of the final base roster characters at least there is DLC. And yes I know DLC has not been confirmed I just mean if there is hopefully he could be DLC if not one of the base roster characters.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Just wanna point out that Wii Fit as a voice a least. The Player character in Minecraft does not even make human sound.
Now I am imagining Steve in Smash and every time he gets hit he makes this sound.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's what Steve sounds like or use too? Whoa sounds like Donkey Kong from DK64 a bit. Pretty cool.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
And his old running animation was hilarious and dumb but really fun to watch and unique.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hmmm. If you think about it, though, is there a need to fondly remember something that's still alive and active? The game stays fresh with new updates and hundreds of mods, so looking back at older versions to reminisce is a little redundant almost, for those who are still a part of its huge community. That's the difference between Minecraft and Avatar. Avatar is dead, Minecraft isn't.

And like you said, the people who played it and moved on mostly seem to be people who also moved on from games in general.
Well, I don’t think there’s any need to fondly remember it now, but I don’t think it will be fondly remembered down the line.

(Also whether Minecraft is dead or not is an interesting subject, I think it can at least be said it’s dying.)

And Avatar isn’t dead, they’re making like 4 sequels (whether you wanted them or not).

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
That's what Steve sounds like or use too? Whoa sounds like Donkey Kong from DK64 a bit. Pretty cool.
I find it pretty funny. No matter what character model you played as it would still make that sound (even playing as a female).

D

Deleted member

Really heh ain't that something? Well I guess they just wanted one sound oh well. Guess the player character is mute mostly for a reason hah.

But if I'm wrong sorry.

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
Is Steve a reality now? Any new leaks with him?

Not gonna lie, my Minecraft bias makes me really not wanting this character, sorry if I offend his fans...

D

Deleted member

Yeah, this is what a good ol' Direct would fix regarding the mundanity of discussing Minecraft as a feasible representation in Smash Bros.

I still have hopes for a Direct within the 10th of October, but I dunno. It's wistful thinking right now.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think we will get a stand alone reveal in October and a Smash Direct in November. Isaac could appear in either one of those events.

D

Deleted member

Something that I don't think we've touched on in a while, but what were the blog entries this week, number-wise?

Do we still have those gaps?

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
We just need SOMETHING at this point honestly.
Like the status on the remaining assist trophies. Which is something that'd be covered in a Smash direct. Of course how anti climatic would it be to wait the whole speculation cycle just to see Isaac finally revealed as an assist come November? Even for those that think an assist is better than nothing, Isaac's assist being held off for so long gave hope that he'd be playable. Just seems kind of cruel when there were two other smash focused directs to deconfirm in.

Really I just want to oogle at Isaac's crisp HD character render for inevitable nice, soft scarf texture.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
At its core, Smash Bros is a celebration of video games and Nintendo. Having Issac in is a great way to represent Nintendo's history. I hope you guys luck out this time around and we see Issac as a character! While I've never played any of the Golden Sun games, he just looks so cool and I know that his magic attacks (I'm forgetting the name of the magic) can definitely make for an interesting move set.

Good luck Issac fans!

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Let's not kid ourselves; if you want interesting or well-developed characters only in Smash, Bayonetta and Lucina would be the poster children and everyone from Mario to Duck Hunt Dog to Isaac would be in the trash bin. Being a "character" (or having animations or an obvious moveset) is not a prerequisite or even a boon for being in Smash Bros, re: Mr. Game and Watch and Wii Fit Trainer...

I don't think we can overstate the cultural impact of Minecraft. It's the Legos of the 2010's. It's the same thing kids today grow up on, enjoy and love that gives fond memories, one of the games that get you through childhood and adolescence loving video games. That's what Pac-Man, Tetris and Super Mario Bros were to my parents, what Sonic the Hedgehog, Pokemon, and Golden Sun were to me. Minecraft, by any sales or influence metric, deserves to be represented prominently in gaming's history.

If I were to guess as to why there's such a negative blowback for Steve, it's because of that generational gap. While everyone has probably played it, including my 30 year-old butt, Minecraft was that formative experience for the next generation. It was, and is, a young kids game, someone who is 15-19 now would probably have great memories about it. In my mind, I learned how fun video games could be from Golden Sun or Majora's Mask, but I'm old. And there's some kind of perceived superiority with people of a certain age or maturity because they want to feel more advanced or experienced or older to be cooler. And Minecraft's the opposite of that, right? I think it's more mature to realize what this game means for others.

It may not be your fondest game, but it's absolutely a great one. It's undeniably a popular one. And I can promise you it is the fondest, formative memories for so, so many young people across the world -- people who could possibly enjoy Smash Bros too. That is, if their personal history and experiences with video games were acknowledged and represented.

I've spent years trying to figure out what Sakurai meant by "have you ever made a game," but I think it's things like this.

Also, if Steve were in the game, it would all but guarantee the inclusion of Banjo and Kazooie too.
Wow. Incredibly well said.

Hey guys I have a question. If Isaac does get added to Ultimate, as either base or DLC, which character(s) would you be shifting your focus to after that? Do you have anyone else really big in mind, or would you be completely satisfied? Personally, I don’t think there’s another character that will consistently be in the front of my mind, but if I had to choose it would likely be either Toad, or the ever so deceased Ray from Custom Robo.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
For assist trophies we might be able to "deduce" what some of them are likely to be. Obviously guessing wont tell us anything, but we can still make some educated guesses. For example I can see Duster from mother 3 as one. Literally every party member from earthbound and mother 3 have been represented in either final smashes or as assist trophies so I don't see why duster would get a lesser treatment

Anyways that's one guess down, just 9 or more to go lmao

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Hey guys I have a question. If Isaac does get added to Ultimate, as either base or DLC, which character(s) would you be shifting your focus to after that? Do you have anyone else really big in mind, or would you be completely satisfied? Personally, I don’t think there’s another character that will consistently be in the front of my mind, but if I had to choose it would likely be either Toad, or the ever so deceased Ray from Custom Robo.
If isaac gets in I'll move on to NES icons and cool franchises that should be in smash like dragon quest but I'm gunning for ryu from ninja gaiden

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525

IDK. Probably Wonder Red or an Octopath rep (probably Cyrus)

?!?!?!

Smash Ace

I will be eternally satisfied to get either Isaac or geno. It'll be bittersweet to just get one of them but I'll be happy regardless

Other than that I would support any of the other remaining long time popular requests like banjo (even though I have absolutely no connection to banjo)

Last edited:

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
I don't have a lot dreams when I go to bed, mostly because I sleep very late.
Although for the past few days I kept having weird dreams, and Isaac always keeps recurring in some of them.
The first time was when I was at my Uncle's house looking at some games he "supposedly" has (He's more of a sport kind of guy), so when I checked, I found out he had copies of lesser known titles like Sin and Punishment and Advance Wars, and one of them was several different titles of Golden Sun on the DS and a Crossover with Lego (For some reason??).

The other one I had was a bit cooler, basically it was the original Super Smash Bros 64, but the roster was different. It had Saki, Crono, Serge and Isaac (Which doesn't make sense because of the release date). There were much more content in this version, different stages and more gamemodes to choose from. I don't remember that part very well, but I remembered it was awesome.

I already knew that Isaac is gonna have a chance, but I can't help but have this feeling that he might be in the game as we speak. Also thank you to anyone out there that cared to read about my stupid dreams.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

Dixie Kong and Elma are two others I want. I tend to like the kuudere girl types in anime so Elma was all that and a box of chocolates but I don't really have much faith in her though lol. As nice as I wouldn't mind seeing her. Dixie Kong, while she doesn't nearly drive my insanity meter up the wall as Ike and Isaac do during Smash speculation seasons, I still have a fond memory as a little kid of going over for a play date with one of the kids in the neighborhood and being handed their Game Boy and getting introduced to Dixie and just playing it all day. So at the back of my mind, I've always wanted Dixie in Smash, I just don't obsess over her as much lol.

Top Bottom