• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Thanks for all the replies RE: Steve being playable. I admit that it wouldn't bother me much personally but I can at least understand how some of you feel as strongly as you do. Even if he doesn't have a personality, that didn't really stop Villager or Wii Fit Trainer from getting in so I doubt it'll be much of a barrier for Sakurai, and we know he can make up a moveset for anyone.

I still think Steve and a Minecraft level wouldn't be any worse than Cloud and Bayonetta and they wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, but at least I feel more comfortable if people's arguments against it are that he isn't really representative of the franchise, rather than just the typical elitist gamer nonsense because they hate Minecraft and its "casual" fanbase. I saw a lot of that after Isabelle and it was really bad then too.

As for my top games, I would say they're constantly changing, but my top 4 at least have been relatively stable:

1. Super Mario World
2. Bloodborne
3. Final Fantasy IX
4. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Villager does have a personality though. (and I would even argue that Wii Fit Trainer has some personality, even if it's quite specific)

I think there's more to personality than just "What is this person like? What do they feel? What's their backstory? "

It's in the way they walk, the way they emote and the way they appear to interact with the world around them. Villager has all of that in spades.

Last edited:

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
I am curious...
What is everyone's top 10 games of all time? I want to see the gaming taste of fellow Isaac fans.

I'll start

1) Golden Sun ( I count GS 1/2 as one game, with the whole they were planned to be one game and the password link system)
2) Majora's Mask
3) Megaman Zero (I looooooooved 2 and 3, 4 is okay but I just love the first one for it's feel and difficulty)
4) Pokemon Crystal
5) Animal Crossing GC (NL is amazing, I loved it, but I have more memories with the GC one)
6) Wario Land
7) Kirby Dream Land 2
8) Fire Emblem 6 (Roy is the best Lord, IDC what you say, he is 15, 15 that is why he is weak, he is a child. Plus unlike Corrin he is not a **** up and a disgrace to FE
9) Power Rangers Snes
10 )Soul Caliber III

It's so hard to pick a top 10. I love so many games. I did one per series because of Zelda. I would have had like 4 of em up there.

So as you can tell, I am a Nintendo boy. Love my Snes games but I really love my handheld games.
Ohhh, this is not gonna be easy for me.. I played so many games. I'll give you my top 22, because it was hard enough to narrow my tastes down to size.

1. Yoshi's Island
2. Final Fantasy Tactics = Final Fantasy IX
3. Golden Sun = The Lost Age > Dark Dawn
4. Dark Cloud 2 > Dark Cloud 1
5. Megaman Zero 1-4 > X Command Mission
6. Metroid Zero Mission > Prime = Echoes > Corruption
7. Star Ocean 3 = 4 > 2
8. Grandia > II >III
9. The World Ends With You
10. Alundra > II
11. Link's Awakening DX > Oracle of Ages & Seasons
12. Dragon Quest I & II = VIII > V = VII
13. .Hack// Vol 1-4 > G.U. Vol 1-4
14. Tales of Vesperia > Symphonia 2 > Grace F
15. Kingdom Hearts = II
16. Wario Land II > III
17. Shadow Of The Colossus
18. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga = Bowsers Inside Story
19. Romancing Saga
20. Diablo II Lords of Destruction > Diablo > III
21. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle > Shadow The Hedgehog
22. Pokemon Yellow < Emerald

Wow, that took me a while!

Edit: Just want to point out that I love all these games, but it was really hard to choose just one out of the series. So whatever series from 1 - 10 and which ever game I think think is great in that franchise is the real number top 10's of my list.

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I am curious...
What is everyone's top 10 games of all time? I want to see the gaming taste of fellow Isaac fans.

I'll start

1) Golden Sun ( I count GS 1/2 as one game, with the whole they were planned to be one game and the password link system)
2) Majora's Mask
3) Megaman Zero (I looooooooved 2 and 3, 4 is okay but I just love the first one for it's feel and difficulty)
4) Pokemon Crystal
5) Animal Crossing GC (NL is amazing, I loved it, but I have more memories with the GC one)
6) Wario Land
7) Kirby Dream Land 2
8) Fire Emblem 6 (Roy is the best Lord, IDC what you say, he is 15, 15 that is why he is weak, he is a child. Plus unlike Corrin he is not a **** up and a disgrace to FE
9) Power Rangers Snes
10 )Soul Caliber III

It's so hard to pick a top 10. I love so many games. I did one per series because of Zelda. I would have had like 4 of em up there.

So as you can tell, I am a Nintendo boy. Love my Snes games but I really love my handheld games.
This list is no particular order, since these games mean so much to me equally, with the exception of Golden Sun, which will, of course, be...

1. Golden Sun

2. Megaman X, Zero, ZX

3. Mario

4. Pokemon

5. Fallout/Elder Scrolls

6. Warframe

7. Risk of Rain

8. The World Ends With You

9. Metroid

10. Fire Emblem

I couldn’t really separate by a per game basis as I love all of them. So this is mainly a list of franchises I love.

There are other games I like, of course, but these 10 are near and dear.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Thanks for all the replies RE: Steve being playable. I admit that it wouldn't bother me much personally but I can at least understand how some of you feel as strongly as you do. Even if he doesn't have a personality, that didn't really stop Villager or Wii Fit Trainer from getting in so I doubt it'll be much of a barrier for Sakurai, and we know he can make up a moveset for anyone.

I still think Steve and a Minecraft level wouldn't be any worse than Cloud and Bayonetta and they wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, but at least I feel more comfortable if people's arguments against it are that he isn't really representative of the franchise, rather than just the typical elitist gamer nonsense because they hate Minecraft and its "casual" fanbase. I saw a lot of that after Isabelle and it was really bad then too.

As for my top games, I would say they're constantly changing, but my top 4 at least have been relatively stable:

1. Super Mario World
2. Bloodborne
3. Final Fantasy IX
4. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
(If your curiosity is satisfied and you don’t want to keep the discussion going, just tell me, but for conversation’s sake I’ll respond to your arguments)

Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are Nintendo characters. They aren’t held to the same standards as third parties.

Cloud is absolutely an iconic videogame character. Incredibly recognizable. Also represents one of the most acclaimed RPGs ever (maybe one of the most acclaimed games ever), and the biggest and best-received RPG franchise. He dwarfs Steve, and any complaints about him stem from the fact that people associate him with PlayStation, rather than about the character itself.

Bayonetta is the weakest link. She’s not iconic (yet). Her games aren’t as known as Minecraft, though they are more acclaimed. The only way she fits is if, like Geno, you choose to see her as an adopted first-party, as Nintendo funds and publishes her games.

(Really, why doesn’t Nintendo just buy Bayonetta from Sega?)

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I am curious...

I'll start

2) Majora's Mask
4) Pokemon Crystal
6) Wario Land
7) Kirby Dream Land 2
9) Power Rangers Snes
10 )Soul Caliber III

1) Xenoblade Chronicles
2) Xenoblade Chronicles 2
3) Breath of the Wild
4) Super Mario Galaxy
5) Xenoblade Chronicles X
6) Bayonetta 2
7) Golden Sun Broken Seal
8) Smash Bros WiiU
9) Pokemon X and Y, and ORAS.
10) Fire Emblem Echoes

I'm a pretty young gamer. (19) And i've mostly stayed within Nintendo's bubble. So my top 10 list can change on an almost daily basis. The only thing that's cemented there would be XC1 for Number 1.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
My top 10 video games? That's always a supremely difficult question for me to answer because I love so many and have played so many to death... But I guess I have to try to come up with some list.

1. Super Smash Bros Melee/4 - So I really wanted to try to pick between one of these two... And I can't. There's a reason I love Smash speculation, there's a reason that I love watching newcomer videos as often as possible. It all dates back to Melee, one of the few games that has definitely stuck with me since childhood. I was 9 when I first got Melee and I didn't understand it for the longest time, especially when Adventure mode played so weird to me, a seasoned Super Mario Bros player. But once I understood? That's all I would play with friends, and it represents a massive part of my childhood and then through my teen years once I stopped playing Brawl. All of that said, Smash 4 brought the same vibes. I was introduced to Smash speculation through the game. And then when I got to college, I can't think of any other game that defined my freshmen year like playing Smash 4 (Often with a full or almost full 8 players) every Friday night. The amount of time and love poured into that game has come to match Melee, a feat I previously thought impossible. Thus I have to put both of them here.

2. Super Mario Bros - I know 3 and World are objectively better games. But Super Mario Bros was my first video game. The Deluxe version on Gameboy is one of the few Gameboy games from my childhood that I still own and will always own til my dying day. The game taught me how to play video games, and it taught me how to love them as well. Few things can invoke the classic nostalgia that this game can. To this day, the mechanics of this game feel second nature to me and I will always play through it when I get the chance.

3. Halo Reach - I struggled with which Halo to put on here. Any of the Bungie produced Halo games could have gotten this spot. I've played them all to completion multiple times on multiple difficulties and played a ton of each game's multiplayer. But I have to pick one, and the most complete package to me and my most played (Probably) was Halo Reach. I adore Reach's campaign and find it to be the best of the series. The game had a ton of fun maps and mechanics, and multiplayer was made amazing through the encompassing forge mode. Maybe it wasn't always the best Halo multiplayer, but with Forge and the custom game modes that have me made me laugh potentially harder than any other game (Look up Speed Halo, and you won't be disappointed).

4. Pokemon Emerald - Another struggle between this and Pokemon Blue which was my first. Emerald was the one I poured my soul into though. There was so much more to do, and even though I didn't really understand the game properly at the time (I leveled my Sceptile to 100 prior to Elite Four for some stupid reason and was woefully underpowered elsewhere) I love every minute of it. With the quality of life changes and an end game that actually had a ton to do such as re-challenging gym leaders and the Battle Frontier, I adore Emerald with all my heart.

5. Destiny - I have my own love/hate relationship for this game, but it encompasses my senior year of high school playing with my friends and all of us constantly grinding for the next big piece of loot. I loved the gameplay, I love Raiding more than most things in video games and all of the friends that I met through the process of playing the game. There was so much to do as the game expanded over time and I really got into the lore. It was far from perfect and had tons of problems, but it brought a sense of socializing that few other games could and I had some great friends online through it in addition to my friends I played online with.

6. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD - I have to pick one Zelda, and this is the one that instilled my love of the series. I got into Zelda relatively late for a Nintendo fan, but when I started to seriously get in to this game, it all clicked and it produced a reaction that few games have managed to top (With Breath of the Wild being an extremely close second, sometimes even above this one, but not today).

7. Persona 4: Golden - Few games have connected me to characters in the way that Persona 4 taught me, and it's rare for me to genuinely love and feel attached to characters in video games, but Persona 4 did that for me. This was also the game that taught me to love JRPGs again after having sworn them off for some time.

8. The Last of Us - A beautifully story driven game that had pretty good gameplay to back it up. The elements of survival felt real without resorting to annoying mechanics. The characters felt much more realistic and well defined than many characters in video games. It made me ask a couple of very real questions, and it looked beautiful. As a lover of cinema and video games, I couldn't have asked for a much better marriage between the two.

9. InFamous - A game that criminally doesn't get mentioned enough, InFamous was a game that showed me that super hero games could be fun, and have deep mechanics to boot. I used to just play this game for hours, gliding all around the city and zipping along the city transit lines. While not the best game overall, it's just one that I've had a ton of fun with and could always go back to.

10. Call of Duty Black Ops 2 - I'm admittedly a pretty big fan of the COD games from this era, and Black Ops 2 was one of the few I managed to pour a lot of time into. Campaign was still good, and the multiplayer was great. I loved playing with friends and it was one of the few I managed to actually prestige in somehow. That said, the main thing I loved was Zombies, and this is where Zombies went from an enjoyable side mode to a fully fueled addiction for me. My two favorite maps in COD Zombies, Origins and Mob of the Dead belong to this game, so that automatically makes it the best COD. But I used to play a single game of zombies for hours just seeing how high I could go and how much fan I could have with the mode.

Honorable Mentions: All mainline Mario games not listed, the other 3D Zelda games, Halo games made by Bungie.

Banjo Kazooie, Luigi's Mansion, Uncharted 2, Super Mario RPG, No More Heroes, Batman Arkham City, Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, God of War (Original), and so many more.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I'm not a fan of Isaac or Golden Sun, but I am not exaggerating when I say that you guys deserve this more than anyone maybe. GS had the potential to be an all-star Nintendo franchise, but it fizzled out too soon. It's still a beloved series with its own unique gameplay, lore and world, and it deserves one playable character in Smash. This is coming from a guy who despised Smash 4's influx of anime swordsmen: Golden Sun has been robbed.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
(If your curiosity is satisfied and you don’t want to keep the discussion going, just tell me, but for conversation’s sake I’ll respond to your arguments)

Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are Nintendo characters. They aren’t held to the same standards as third parties.

Cloud is absolutely an iconic videogame character. Incredibly recognizable. Also represents one of the most acclaimed RPGs ever (maybe one of the most acclaimed games ever), and the biggest and best-received RPG franchise. He dwarfs Steve, and any complaints about him stem from the fact that people associate him with PlayStation, rather than about the character itself.

Bayonetta is the weakest link. She’s not iconic (yet). Her games aren’t as known as Minecraft, though they are more acclaimed. The only way she fits is if, like Geno, you choose to see her as an adopted first-party, as Nintendo funds and publishes her games.

(Really, why doesn’t Nintendo just buy Bayonetta from Sega?)
Nah I'm happy to talk about it, I just didn't want to fill the thread with too much Steve spam if people didn't want to keep discussing it.

I won't deny Cloud's iconic status, of course, I'm just saying (and you must agree) that he breaks all the previously established "rules" about who gets considered a viable third party. So once we could justify his inclusion, literally anybody else became fair game, with the only real barrier left being seemingly that they must have originated as a video game character.

Bayonetta was just a very cynical inclusion, in the same way that Corrin and some of Sm4sh's other characters like Dark Pit were. Whether or not you like them as characters, I think it's kind of hard to argue that they're "worthy" of a spot, whatever that means. They're either blatant self-promotion or self-indulgence on Sakurai's part. But either way if we ever get a more stripped down and "focused" Smash game, they will be the first ones to go.

So honestly another reason I'm kind of fine with Steve and Goku and whoever else is that clearly Smash has turned into an "anything goes" kind of crossover, and the series will probably change drastically with the next entry, so it's fine to just have some really crazy outliers for this installment. The only thing I would be actually upset about is if all those characters make it but Isaac still doesn't get recognized in any way.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
So honestly another reason I'm kind of fine with Steve and Goku and whoever else is that clearly Smash has turned into an "anything goes" kind of crossover, and the series will probably change drastically with the next entry, so it's fine to just have some really crazy outliers for this installment. The only thing I would be actually upset about is if all those characters make it but Isaac still doesn't get recognized in any way.
If Steve ever gets in...okay whatever. He would be jarring to see in comparison to the other fighters but I understand why he got in. However, I will NEVER be okay with Goku or any other character who didn’t originate from a video game franchise!!!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nah I'm happy to talk about it, I just didn't want to fill the thread with too much Steve spam if people didn't want to keep discussing it.

I won't deny Cloud's iconic status, of course, I'm just saying (and you must agree) that he breaks all the previously established "rules" about who gets considered a viable third party. So once we could justify his inclusion, literally anybody else became fair game, with the only real barrier left being seemingly that they must have originated as a video game character.

Bayonetta was just a very cynical inclusion, in the same way that Corrin and some of Sm4sh's other characters like Dark Pit were. Whether or not you like them as characters, I think it's kind of hard to argue that they're "worthy" of a spot, whatever that means. They're either blatant self-promotion or self-indulgence on Sakurai's part. But either way if we ever get a more stripped down and "focused" Smash game, they will be the first ones to go.

I don’t think Cloud broke any rules. The rule always was ‘You have to appear on a Nintendo console’ and Cloud passed that test.

Bayonetta did break a rule for third party characters, that being ‘you have to be iconic’. The only way she doesn’t is if she’s considered somewhat similar to first party, as rules don’t apply to them. (That is how I choose to see it, but I understand why people might disagree and not want her in)

Corrin and Dark Pit didn’t break any rules, because there aren’t any rules for first party characters. Still, Corrin is definitely blatant advertisement, while Dark Pit could be said to be Sakurai’s ego showing (a position I definitely disagree, as I see Dark Pit and Lucina as bonuses, what I’ve realized Echoes actually are). Still, you can’t justify an unwanted pick by pointing other unwanted picks have got in. If Everyone is Back wasn’t a thing, those two would have definitely been cut.

Smash has not become a ‘anything goes’ kind of game. It still has clearly defined boundaries, that haven’t been broken (the only time they were broken is when Snake and Sonic got in).

At the end of the day, the reason Cloud and Bayonetta got in and Steve won’t is because people wanted the former, while at best they’re indifferent to the latter.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
I’ve actually been imagining something similar to this on my car rides to uni, lol. Except, the way I’ve been picturing it would have mindless zombies who yell “IRRELEVANT” instead of ATs and would involve RayMk sacrificing himself to save those two. Man, everytime I think of Saki and Isaac in smash I get depressed.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I could definitely see Steve happening, as much as I don't really like the idea (I just don't think he fits the Smash aesthetic well). I'd be a little disappointed if he got in before Isaac though.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I don’t think Cloud broke any rules. The rule always was ‘You have to appear on a Nintendo console’ and Cloud passed that test.

Bayonetta did break a rule for third party characters, that being ‘you have to be iconic’. The only way she doesn’t is if she’s considered somewhat similar to first party, as rules don’t apply to them. (That is how I choose to see it, but I understand why people might disagree and not want her in)

Corrin and Dark Pit didn’t break any rules, because there aren’t any rules for first party characters. Still, Corrin is definitely blatant advertisement, while Dark Pit could be said to be Sakurai’s ego showing (a position I definitely disagree, as I see Dark Pit and Lucina as bonuses, what I’ve realized Echoes actually are). Still, you can’t justify an unwanted pick by pointing other unwanted picks have got in. If Everyone is Back wasn’t a thing, those two would have definitely been cut.

Smash has not become a ‘anything goes’ kind of game. It still has clearly defined boundaries, that haven’t been broken (the only time they were broken is when Snake and Sonic got in).

At the end of the day, the reason Cloud and Bayonetta got in and Steve won’t is because people wanted the former, while at best they’re indifferent to the latter.
But that last paragraph is exactly what I’m talking about, though. Which people don’t want Steve? The same people who didn’t want Isabelle? Because that didn’t work out for them. If the hardcore Smash community got to decide who was in, then Geno would have been confirmed back in the Melee days. Minecraft has a big fanbase that would be pretty pleased at a playable character. I don’t think that makes it likely but I’m just saying it’s not that far outside the realm of possibility either.

Plus I think you’re kind of contradicting yourself a bit by saying people wanted Bayonetta in after admitting she isn’t really iconic. I don’t recall anyone REALLY begging for Bayonetta to be in. My reaction and most of the reactions I saw online were “....uh, ok then?” At least Cloud and Ryu (if he hadn’t been datamined) had a lot of genuine excitement behind them. We’ll never know the real reason Bayonetta got in but it must have been some weird combination of marketing and Sega/Platinum begging Nintendo, or just some higher-up muckity muck really liked the idea of her being in the game. I don’t buy that she was a top ballot pick in Europe in the slightest, lol.

Anyways yeah discussing Steve has been an interesting thought experiment to me. I won’t believe he’s actually in the game until we see the trailer because I admit he’s a very silly pick, but I would argue that there would still be solid logic behind it and it isn’t any stranger than some of the Smash 4 decisions.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Bayonetta I think may be the biggest case of the general gaming world being on a different page than the Smash one. Personally, most people I know were ecstatic to see her playable, in the vein of "I wanted this but didn't think it could happen", not that far off of what the reaction to Cloud was like. Her games are beloved, have become de facto Nintendo titles, and inspire strong passion in her fans: see Maximillion's reaction for an idea. I admittedly didn't expect it at all, but I remain thrilled that it happened and, anecdotally at least, that sentiment is not at all uncommon.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Bayonetta I think may be the biggest case of the general gaming world being on a different page than the Smash one. Personally, most people I know were ecstatic to see her playable, in the vein of "I wanted this but didn't think it could happen", not that far off of what the reaction to Cloud was like. Her games are beloved, have become de facto Nintendo titles, and inspire strong passion in her fans: see Maximillion's reaction for an idea. I admittedly didn't expect it at all, but I remain thrilled that it happened and, anecdotally at least, that sentiment is not at all uncommon.
Yeah she’s just such an off the wall choice though. It would be like picking Leon Kennedy or something. Would I be happy about it? No doubt. Is there any reason whatsoever he should be in Smash? Nope.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah she’s just such an off the wall choice though. It would be like picking Leon Kennedy or something. Would I be happy about it? No doubt. Is there any reason whatsoever he should be in Smash? Nope.
Well, that I certainly disagree with. Leon is probably the most popular out of all the Resident Evil protagonists, and Resident Evil 4 is inextricably tied to Nintendo.

As for your other post. Isabelle did have quite a good amount of support, and was always seen as an inevitability by most. The (short-lived) backlash against her was imo more about people just being overhyped for that Direct (can’t blame ‘em, with all the delays and having to follow up K. Rool).

Xenigma Xenigma already stated my perception on Bayonetta’s situation.

And yeah, I won’t deny that Steve’s inclusion would make sense from a business perspective (kind of), but I still think Sakurai is more of an artist, and makes his decisions based on a vision rather than business.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's exactly why I think Leon is a good contrast to Bayonetta. They're both popular characters from popular franchises and have a game that is inextricably linked to Nintendo, so why is Bayonetta in Smash but not Leon? They even both have some questionable elements that don’t align with Nintendo’s family values at first glance, those being zombie violence and hypersexualization respectively. The answer is that neither of them really "belong" just as Snake didn't reallly "belong," but there are factors outside of the established rules that can influence these kinds of decisions.

As to Sakurai, I agree that he is an artist first and foremost but I think certain decisions get made for him by Nintendo's higher-ups that he can't or doesn't choose to veto. I'm convinced Corrin was one of those, and possibly Bayonetta too. I can see Steve being a similar scenario, where all he really wanted was Banjo Kazooie, but Microsoft counter offers with Steve, and the Nintendo execs start seeing the $$$ signs.

Anyways I admit it’s a bit of a loopy theory but I’m going crazy over here with no new info to go off. Sakurai pls, just give us whatever you have left so this uncertainty can end, haha...

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I will accept Steve if he does become playable, but the decision will baffle me. I just feel like Minecraft is a franchise that doesn’t need a playable character. The game is all about the world you are in. Including a stage and a bonus creeper AT would be enough to rep the franchise. And as others have said, Steve just isn’t interesting as a character outside of his blocky appearance. Won’t complain if he does make the roster, but it just wouldn’t feel right to me.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Bayonetta is kind of like Nintendo's adopted child since they resurrected the series. Bayonetta 2 and 3 can only appear on Nintendo consoles since they funded the games. She is basically Nintendo without technically being owned by them. Resident Evil and Leon do not fit that as 4 was ported to other consoles.

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
I'm the only one viewing right now? Again? What? (At least that's what I'm reading.) I have to catch up like 20+ pages still... I've been procrastinating.
Edit: Oops. Needed to refresh.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Oh wow, has this been brought up in this thread before?
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/golden_sun_and_shining_force_illustrator_passes_away

Apparently Isaac's artist passed away this year? Man, it would be a nice tribute if Isaac got to be in Smash and preserve the artist's legacy. I love Golden Sun art so much.
He was a monster artist primarily, apparently. One of several who illustrated the series. I think the character designer is still around.

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
Btw some time after the Smash Direct I remember someone saying (I can't remember where) that the japanese voice actor for Krystal was also who did Isaac voice clips, and that new clips from that voice actor were being recorded...

Also I think they said that Krystal will use her previous voice clips in English, so they don't needed her english VA again..... so maybe they're using the japanese VA to record other clips not related to Krystal.

I'm mistaken? It's true or just speculation?

Edit: grammar and structure.

Last edited:

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Btw some time after the Smash Direct I remember someone saying (I can't remember where) that the japanese voice actor for Krystal was also who did Isaac voice clips, and I think they said that Krystal will use her previous voice clips in English, so they don't needed her english VA again..... so maybe they're using the japanese VA to record other clips not related to Krystal.

I'm mistaken? It's true or just speculation?
Huh? The Japanese VA has been doing something recently?

Confirmation

Smash Ace
That's what I saw then, but only via internet comments, I didn't have official confirmation so I'm not really sure
If true, this could be a nice bit of hope. I don't have the time to look around right now but definitely will later tonight

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If I get the chance I really want to try drawing some Isaac propaganda fanart soon. (before Ultimate releases)

I did figure drawing with a live model the other day for the first time, it was really cool but also nerve wracking. (I think I was intimidated by drawing around other people)

I feel like there's nobody really drawing Isaac in a way that shows off his diverse moveset, so if I can I'd like to draw Isaac in different scenarios where he's using different attacks.

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
I am curious...

I'll start

2) Majora's Mask
4) Pokemon Crystal
6) Wario Land
7) Kirby Dream Land 2
9) Power Rangers Snes
10 )Soul Caliber III

Hmmm

1. Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time
Yeah, generic I suppose. But I'll always love OoT. Zelda is one of my favorite series, and OoT is almost the perfect Zelda game to me: a large world, a LOT of dungeons to solve some of which are actually challenging, a lot of utility items to collect (though some become useless unfortunately), and sidequests to tackle. Nostalgia probably adds to it here as is likely the case for any 64 or earlier games, but my perhaps unpopular opinion is that OoT is not overrated. (I loved MM too; where it lost points for me was feeling like there were less dungeons to tackle, though it did a lot of things better too.)
2. Golden Sun/TLA
Don't need to explain this one here lol. Golden Sun 1/2 was a fantastic game. The battle system, Djinn, psynergy were all super cool, but most of all I liked being able to use the psynergy to interact with the world. In so many RPGs you have characters with fantastic powers, and then on the world map you feel as common as any NPC. Golden Sun was emphatically different.
3. Super Mario Galaxy
I would put Mario 64 on this list (the N64 was an amazing system), but for me Galaxy outperformed enough to beat out whatever nostalgia boost 64 would get. Galaxy was just a great adventure all around, with a ton of locations to explore and enough challenge to make it worth it.
4. Super Mario RPG
Introduced me to RPGs and they immediately became a favorite genre. I loved (and this is part of why I love Smash so much) being able to play as "off" characters like Bowser and Peach (or "Toadstool" lol... could be Peachette :o), and Mallow and Geno were a breath of fresh air. Geno is my second most wanted for Smash after Isaac (I just think he's cooler than Mallow, but also I think he'd make more sense because if you're paying attention, the main story of SMRPG is really Geno's story).
5. Metroid Prime
I was not a Metroid fan before this, and the FPS style made me extra hesitant because I wasn't into those at all at the time. But I tried Prime and was blown away. The massive world, the amazing amount of things to find... the challenge of completing the Scan Visor logs! One thing Prime 1 did best for me was the beam system. I liked having multiple to toggle through. Prime 2 still had that but the Annihilator Beam was kinda like "lol we put the first 2 together" (and I found them less interesting than 1's beams, though they fit thematically with 2), and I'm not as big a fan of just combining everything like in 3.
6. Kirby Super Star
Just great fun. In particular I loved Great Cave Offensive. Actually have good memories playing through it with my sister, whose favorite P2 was always Birdon.
7. Tales of Symphonia
The real time battle system was fun for an RPG, and I like most of the other Tales games too. Again this is a massive adventure with characters and a world that got me to invest in them. As I've mentioned before, a bonus for me is bring able to directly control any character I want, not just Lloyd.
8. Mega Man (Classic/X/Battle network, can't narrow)
Okay this is cheating lol. I love Mega Man but I can't single out a game. The closest I could get would be the entire classic series (I mean in some sense they're all the same from a broad perspective), but I've enjoyed many iterations of his series. Mega Man being announced for Smash 4 was one of the hypest Smash reveals ever for me.
9. Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon is always fun. Yellow is the first one I played, and I appreciated being able to get all of the starters. I hope they keep making Pokemon games but it'd take something really special to top that first dive into the world.
10. Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild
I feel like people's opinions have fallen off, but I love BotW (and still haven't finished it lol). It's definitely a different style of Zelda game than OoT, but the nonlinearity for me harkens back to the original Zelda which is kinda cool. The world is *massive*, and there's enough to do to keep you busy for as long as you want. Things I disliked were only having a few abilites with the Slate, and only having a few relatively uninspired (but with interesting gimmicks I suppose) real dungeons to navigate.

Honorable Mentions:
11. Overwatch
12. Super Mario Odyssey
13. Star Ocean - Till The End of Time
14. Probably 10 games I've forgotten half of which would be in the top 10 had I remembered lol.

EDIT: I'd also include some iteration (probably Ultimate) of Smash itself but that felt redundant on this site lol.

Last edited:

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
I am curious...

I'll start

2) Majora's Mask
4) Pokemon Crystal
6) Wario Land
7) Kirby Dream Land 2
9) Power Rangers Snes
10 )Soul Caliber III

I have terrible taste so keep that in mind.
1) Sonic 3&K- First game I truly completed & stands the test of time.
2)Kingdom Hearts 2- Game play alone makes me wonder if this will always be considered the best KH.
3)Pokemon White- First Pokemon and introduced Zekrom, Scolipede, and Serperior.
4)Super Mario World- Ever have that on game everyone agrees on playing?
5)Fire Emblem- Conflicted because I like most of Conquests characters and gameplay but dislike the story while I'm neutral on Echos gameplay but love the presentation of characters and the world.
6)Megaman V (GB) - The closest thing to a connection between Classic & X and its own game.
7) Catz 2(Console)- A legend of Zelda like game with the inability to kill in favor of stealth & neutralization methods. Lonesome Park & the Final boss themes are wonderful. 7.8/10 still the weirdest experience of facing a final boss in a Catz game.
8)Super Smash Bros- Series as a whole allows me to have fun with those I've never met before.
9)Kirby 3D- Don't know just love the style of the game.
10) Bravely Default- The BP system adds so much to your standard turn based game along with an interesting cast.
HMs: ReCoded, Sonic Rush, Bayonetta, MM6

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm not sure I even want to attempt listing off my top 10 favourite games.

In no particular order....

Ace Attorney
Golden Sun
Pokemon
Smash Bros
Persona 4
Ghost Trick
Paper Mario 64
Banjo Kazooie
The Longest Journey
Fran Bow
To The Moon
Danganronpa
Zero Escape
Undertale
Xenoblade Chronicles

Notably a number of these games/series are also among the few that managed to get an emotional response out of me. Some of the games on this list managed to make me weepy and some of them filled me with a genuine sense of wonder. (and some of them are just game series that feel like they were made for me)

If I had to pick my favourite game franchise of all time it would have to be Ace Attorney though. When I said some games feel like they were made for me, Ace Attorney was what I was talking about.

There are way more amazing game series I haven't mentioned but this is the "big" list for me.

Edit: I just know I've probably missed some huge game I love though.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom