• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
I don't see a source for where Sakurai actually said this. I wanna check and see if his Japanese tweet or whatever also called it 'close to going gold.'

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's an interesting turn of phrase. "close to going gold." I'm not familiar with using it that way in either English or Japanese as a particularly common way of saying "almost finished."

...going gold like Golden Sun?
Um... its extremely common. That's the phrase always used when a game is officially complete. How have you NEVER heard that phrase before?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
That's an interesting turn of phrase. "close to going gold." I'm not familiar with using it that way in either English or Japanese as a particularly common way of saying "almost finished."

Gets used literally all the time with video games. Gold is basically the fact that’s game is ready to be printed on to cartridges/discs.

Don’t make anything out of that.

And yeah, this was generally expected and makes me believe that we won’t see much more except in the Smash Direct we have left. And even then I’m afraid we’ll only get like in reveal...

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Even if all things look bleak now if Sakurai said there might not be more character reveals, even if come December 7th and there's still no sign of Isaac as either a playable fighter or Assist, I say there's more reason to keep our voices up and keep pushing for DLC.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Based on this information we can probably say nothing is coming out in October, unless Sakurai is mega-trolling us.

Better hope November is one hell of a month

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
That article has been up for 4 hours almost, why hasn't source gaming mentioned anything about it? Also how reliable is this source (sorry I'm just trying to be optimistic here lol)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Based on this information we can probably say nothing is coming out in October, unless Sakurai is mega-trolling us.

Better hope November is one hell of a month
I'm still calling an October one-off reveal at the very least. The second surprise in the final Direct would be the new game mode instead of another full newcomer.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Let's say Inceniroar gets in, what music would they play? The battle theme has already been featr

Nah, I that's just reaching. What we have to ask ourselves is if they're going to go all out on one last direct or if it's because there's a really low amount of characters left.
Probably a boss theme or one of the overworld themes

Cant wait for Guzma remix

Flarzo

Smash Cadet
Completely expected and not surprising. My opinions haven't changed. Still predicting about 2-3 full newcomers (leaning on 2 now) and 2-3 Echoes (leaning on 3). We've still got 2 and a half months to go until launch.

I think Sonic will get one. There's 6 new tracks for Sonic in the game and Shadow is still a pretty likely Echo.
My fear is that this is all falling into the hands of Vergeben’s leaks and that even if there are a few more left they will just be Incineror, Ken, and a Square rep.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Hmm... I found a Japanese blog post saying that Sakurai was quoted in Famitsu as saying these things. Not sure how reliable the actual blog is, but Famitsu would be reliable enough. (No screenshot or proof of the magazine interview existing on the website that I could see.)

He DID quote the "going gold" bit though: Sakurai said: "あと少しで完成する・・・予定!! " (The game will be on sale... soon/on schedule!!) Using "hanbai" (on sale) instead of any kind of form of "Ogon" (the word for Gold used in Golden Sun's JP title).

Damn, got my hopes up.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Regardless of what Sakurai recently said I still think Isaac has a really good shot for both base and DLC. The only thing this makes me less hopeful for is a Felix echo.

By the way the IsaacForSmash Twitter account is only five followers away from 500. If anyone with a Twitter hasn't supported the campaign yet it'd be appreciated if you do https://twitter.com/IsaacforSmash

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Going gold is a term used for when a game has been sent out to be mass produced on disk for shipping out to retailers.

Nothing to do with Golden Sun unfortunately.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Completely expected and not surprising. My opinions haven't changed. Still predicting about 2-3 full newcomers (leaning on 2 now) and 2-3 Echoes (leaning on 3). We've still got 2 and a half months to go until launch.
Yeh I wouldn't worry about it too much at the moment. When you put it down on paper it seems bad. But it's not really.
  • March only had Inklings
  • June had Daisy and Ridley
  • July had nothing
  • August had Simon, Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom and King K Rool
  • September had Isabelle
He is most likely referring to August as that was a huge blowout on it. If we go by the normal standard, we're still going to get at least 3 characters. Then again Sakurai has been known to ramp it up and down upon whimsy to drive hype and temper it.

Either way, 5 more newcomers is what I'm thinking. 3 Unique, 2 Echo

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I honestly wouldn’t worry too much over those comments. If you really think about it, in 3 months of the gameplay reveal we got:
Inkling
Ridley
Daisy
Simon Belmont
Richter Belmont
Chrom
Dark Samus
King K Rool
Isabelle

9 characters in less than half the time between gameplay reveal and game release. Saying reveals will slow down literally means not to expect another 9 characters. I personally believe we have 6 more characters but time will tell.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Yeh I wouldn't worry about it too much at the moment. When you put it down on paper it seems bad. But it's not really.
  • March only had Inklings
  • June had Daisy and Ridley
  • July had nothing
  • August had Simon, Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom and King K Rool
  • September had Isabelle
He is most likely referring to August as that was a huge blowout on it. If we go by the normal standard, we're still going to get at least 3 characters. Then again Sakurai has been known to ramp it up and down upon whimsy to drive hype and temper it.

Either way, 5 more newcomers is what I'm thinking. 3 Unique, 2 Echo
So if the rumours are true:
What I'd love to see that satisfies this whole thing in a final reveal:
Incineroar, Square Enix character, Isaac and end the Echoes with Ken and Shadow.

Anyways, it's late (hence the weird sentence structure). I'm sure we'll jump ahead 5-7 or more pages next time I log in to this thread.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I still think we are due for at least one more smash direct and perhaps one more character surprise reveal like how robin and lucina were revealed.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I have one word for you:

Splatoon.

Splatoon proves this idea completely. They could've easily opted to include Splatoon via DLC and did not. This time around, ARMS will have been out well before DLC happened, so I think ARMS will happen as DLC this time. But NOT the base roster. Sakurai isn't a fortune teller. Even if he knew about ARMS (which isn't very likely), he won't be able to know how successful it is in advance. ARMS simply won't be included base roster for this very reason, and in all honesty, if it was going to happen I think it would've been announced by now.

I think we're going to get an "Other" music track show up for ARMS on the website eventually and that's the end of it.
No I understand the idea and I understand that Splatoon is the precedent everyone is using here, I'm just saying I don't think it's a sure thing like everyone else is saying. Everyone else seems to think that ARMS can ONLY happen as DLC, but I'm not so sure. I still think Sakurai knew about ARMS in advance, and whether or not he could predict its success ahead of time, it's still a brand new first party franchise that easily lends itself to this game. We have 5 unrevealed stages if Corocoro is to be believed, and I think ARMS could easily be one of them, even if the character itself is saved for DLC.

I don't think a hypothetical character reveal would have necessarily happened by now either. We've only had 3 actual batches of info about the game (4 if you count the Inklings reveal trailer). E3 already had enough going on with EVERYONE IS HERE, the 8.8 direct was similarly chock full of info and had 5 other character announcements, and Isabelle was only meant to tie into the Animal Crossing for Switch announcement. If they're spacing out the hardcore fanbase pleasers and the general audience pleaser reveals, I can see ARMS being part of its own mini-reveal next month or a good way to kick off/close out a Smash focused Direct.

I'm not saying ARMS *will* be in the base game, just that everyone else seems to think it's a 0% chance and I'd say I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the base roster, especially because we have 5 stages left to see. I'm just identifying what I consider to be a big blind spot that everyone is ignoring just because ARMS didn't make much of a splash in the West, so nobody's really going to bat for it. But ultimately yes I think DLC at the very least is inevitable and if they're not in the base game it'll be the first piece of DLC we see.

KMDP

Smash Legend

"Going gold" is the industry way of saying the Game is getting printed for sale, nothing more.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Also sorry if this has already been discussed but this probably isn’t good news

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/2...ltimate-character-announcements-to-slow-down/

All the box theorists and Verge disciples are going to be insufferable now

Edit: whoops my bad didn’t mean to quote anyone
That's what we've been talking about and honestly it changes nothing. All it means is we are not getting Wii U huge with newcomers.

But let's be honest guys, even if Isaac isn't in. Even if he is just an AT, I actually prefer Sakurai's current approach to newcomers.

There may be less of them but holy heck he has been meeting the mark on quality. Just look back at who got announced. If that's not Smash Fan Service I don't know what is

• Inklings - Highly demanded since their debut
  • Daisy - Been a fan favorite for years
  • Ridley - Wanted in Smash for over a decade
  • King K Rool - Same as Ridley
  • Simon - The demand for him runs deep
  • Chrom - Fans wanted him since Awakening
  • Dark Samus - This one I recalled being highly wanted even as a kid
  • Isabelle - Her fanbase. It is HUGE
There has not been one character who wasn't heavily requested minus Richter. And he was one heck of a surprise

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That's what we've been talking about and honestly it changes nothing. All it means is we are not getting Wii U huge with newcomers.

But let's be honest guys, even if Isaac isn't in. Even if he is just an AT, I actually prefer Sakurai's current approach to newcomers.

There may be less of them but holy heck he has been meeting the mark on quality. Just look back at who got announced. If that's not Smash Fan Service I don't know what is
I just hope the Smash fan service keeps up. Isaac and Geno or Banjo would be such a hype ending to this run.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

There has not been one character who wasn't heavily requested minus Richter. And he was one heck of a surprise
Even if Isaac isn't base he has just as strong as a shot post launch if they keep this pattern up. The strong reception to K.Rool and the immense popularity boost that the Rathalos tweet gave Isaac can only mean good things

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Regarding Sakurai's statement, I think it means there are going to be less character reveals in each direct from now on. I can see us getting 3 Uniques and 3 Echoes, 4 in one Smash Direct and 2 in a General Direct or a one-off announcement.

I wouldn't be too worried about Isaac's chances, since there's always DLC to think about, and where bound to be getting somewhere around the same amount of characters as Smash 4 did (7).

Just imagine if Isaac was revealed as the first DLC character in the same way Mewtwo was.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Regarding Sakurai's statement, I think it means there are going to be less character reveals in each direct from now on. I can see us getting 3 Uniques and 3 Echoes, 4 in one Smash Direct and 2 in a General Direct or a one-off announcement.

I wouldn't be too worried about Isaac's chances, since there's always DLC to think about, and where bound to be getting somewhere around the same amount of characters as Smash 4 did (7).

Just imagine if Isaac was revealed as the first DLC character in the same way Mewtwo was.
I'm far more inclined to believe Isaac is base roster than anything. IMO he's the most likely non-Echo left.

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
Personally I think we're going to get one last huge smash direct some time in november.

KMDP

Smash Legend

I think in Japan and Latin America, Richter is actually way more popular than Simon Belmont, to the point that some Latin American gaming news outlets needed to run articles explaining who Simon was, but not Richter.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I think in Japan and Latin America, Richter is actually way more popular than Simon Belmont, to the point that some Latin American gaming news outlets needed to run articles explaining who Simon was, but not Richter.
Really? Huh. Well in that case even he was highly popular.

Now I am even more hyped for the remaining characters. Isaac or not :)

KMDP

Smash Legend

Do you know what else is huge in Latin America? Digimon. But this is not the thread for that.

Golden Sun still has pockets of fan followings (a lot of them very dedicated), mostly in Western Europe; I can honestly see Isaac being Europe's #1.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Honestly, I still think I'll criticize the **** out of Sakurai for once again passing up Isaac for base. AGAIN.

Seriously, does GS have to do your ****ing taxes to get in, Sakurai?

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I woke up to read that and yeah it is a bit gloom piece but we still have to wait for better translation, and even if the announcements do slow down I still believe Isaac is just in an excellent spot to be the next Smash fan based reveal. When in doubt, remember the Rathalos tweet

Tetiro

Smash Ace
We also have to remember that Sakurai has been known to make huge waves and small waves.

Back in Brawl days, there were actually at least two months with ZERO announcements. But when each month of reveals happened, we get 3. With January and February having 1.

And with Wii U, we got one every other month basically but with 2 E3s being massive blowouts.

And now with Ultimate, we are seeing similar wavelengths to Brawl. It would not surprise me if October had nothing either but November was a huge blowout. Or a sturdy flow of content. Who knows!

Either way, we should wait and see

Gioka

Smash Journeyman

I can give faith of him being popular here, however since the announcement it has been said that Richter got in because he is the most beloved character for those who are Castlevania fans but they also got Simon because it is the face of the franchise to those who just played the first games or never played. It is funny because I feel it is something similar to Isaac and Felix, Isaac is the face of the franchise and he is the one recognized by people who didn't play Golden Sun (even confusing Matthew with him) but Felix is just as much a protagonist as Isaac is

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
I need an october direct :C
The wait will consume me at the end...
I just need another hint about Isaac in Smash, I know about the Rathalos tweet but the Incineroar + Ken only is haunting me.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I just need another hint about Isaac in Smash, I know about the Rathalos tweet but the Incineroar + Ken only is haunting me.
I'll take an Echo fighter at this point. I just need something

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Rathatlos tweet + Golden Sun trademark + Sakuraba hasn't gotten a music on the website yet + we always get a couple of new IP characters + "I looked at the ballot for new fighters"

Q-Long

Smash Lord
We also have to remember that Sakurai has been known to make huge waves and small waves.

Back in Brawl days, there were actually at least two months with ZERO announcements. But when each month of reveals happened, we get 3. With January and February having 1.

And with Wii U, we got one every other month basically but with 2 E3s being massive blowouts.

And now with Ultimate, we are seeing similar wavelengths to Brawl. It would not surprise me if October had nothing either but November was a huge blowout. Or a sturdy flow of content. Who knows!

Either way, we should wait and see
You Must Recover

Top Bottom