• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
This debate just highlights how interesting Saturday could be. Minecon isn't exactly guaranteed Smash news even if Minecraft is in the game, but if the day passes without a peep? We'll suddenly have two potential strikes against Vergeben, which would be a fascinating shake-up for Smash speculation. It's not a Direct, but in this dry spell for Smash news, I'll take it in a heartbeat.
I’m sorry but neither of those are strikes against him. I would never really expect there to be a Smash announcement at a non-Nintendo non-E3 event.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The Rathalos tweet will always be enough for me. Just too many references to all be 'a coincidence'.
Agreed, and he didn't go on tweeting "cool pics" again or anything, he only did that one.

You know I thought the same about Ridley being in Smash 4 after this.

Edit: If you can't see the image follow this link.
People are to blame for expecting something from a stage, tbh. Also compared to how ridley ended being in smash, that shadow was HUGE. It was unlikely back then. Not even a close example to Isaac anyway, bad comparison.

But if he was talking about a stage, it was obvious that Ridley was going to be a stage hazard. It's not the same as the Rathalos image.
Exactly. Very different situations.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Regardless of what Sakurai recently said I still think Isaac has a really good shot for both base and DLC. The only thing this makes me less hopeful for is a Felix echo.

By the way the IsaacForSmash Twitter account is only five followers away from 500. If anyone with a Twitter hasn't supported the campaign yet it'd be appreciated if you do https://twitter.com/IsaacforSmash
I just made it 500 :)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not gonna lie, the interview with Sakurai does not bode well for the speculation scene. Things are going to start getting bloody, that’s for sure. (Vergeben’s leaks and the box theory being the least hype stuff ever doesn’t help)

There is still the tiny possibility that Sakurai is trolling, but I’m severely tempering my hype.

Im starting to think Verge was just speculating on the "Castlevania collection being announced alongside Simon" part.

Wtf why is the voting connected to a UK site? I can't vote!
Hadn’t Vergeben said the Castlevania collection would be on Switch? If so, this is another strike against him.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
People are to blame for expecting something from a stage, tbh. Also compared to how ridley ended being in smash, that shadow was HUGE. It was unlikely back then. Not even a close example to Isaac anyway, bad comparison.
Again, I did not expect him after the shadow was shown. The shadow and the pic of the day were two different events that happened at different times. The point of making that comparison is that I won't get fooled again!

Of course they are different situations but, the thing they have in common was people hold on to these things and claim it as evidence for their character. Beside the picture itself, the tweet has nothing to do with Golden Sun (or Isaac in particular). The text in Sakurai's tweet was focused on the fact that the Smash Ultimate website got updated and not some cryptic message like "hey does this camera angle look familiar?" I think we need something a little more concrete than just a single image before we start making assumptions that Isaac is a lock.

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
I don't know but... We know that Sakurai loves to "tease/troll" with hints that ends being nothing but ATs or stage hazards, but he also doesn't want to make everyone mad/sad... Do you think that the rathalos tweet could be only him teasing the return of Isaac as only an AT?

I'm sure he knows how much Isaac is wanted but... I don't know, I'm hopeful and maybe I'm overthinking things but...

Although it could be cruel...

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Of course they are different situations but, the thing they have in common was people hold on to these things and claim it as evidence for their character. Beside the picture itself, the tweet has nothing to do with Golden Sun (or Isaac in particular). The text in Sakurai's tweet was focused on the fact that the Smash Ultimate website got updated and not some cryptic message like "hey does this camera angle look familiar?" I think we need something a little more concrete than just a single image before we start making assumptions that Isaac is a lock.
Why would he purposefully draw attention to it? It'd be ironic to emphasize stamping out leaks that spoil the surprise, then turn around and go, "Doesn't that remind you of something? Sure looks strange, doesn't it?". I'm not convinced he's hinting, but if he is, he's not going to make it obvious.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
Why would he purposefully draw attention to it? It'd be ironic to emphasize stamping out leaks that spoil the surprise, then turn around and go, "Doesn't that remind you of something? Sure looks strange, doesn't it?". I'm not convinced he's hinting, but if he is, he's not going to make it obvious.
he tweeted a replica monado in a glass case back during the smash 4 days before shulk was announced.

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I think so, like the "Zero Suit Samus + moon" Bayonetta reference, nobody could have thought it could be it but there it is, Bayonetta in smash

Last edited:

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I think so, like the "Zero Suit Samus + moon" Bayonetta reference, nobody could have thought it could be it but there it is, Bayonetta in smash
Let's not also forget the most recent one, being the "red eyes" tweet before the last smash direct :ultkrool:.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
This will be a war, some may even call it a bloodbath and many from both sides will perish this day. Yet in this time, in this hour, in this moment, my banner unfurls for our Golden Boy as we Champion him against the Bear and the Bird. May we show them why we are a force of nature, a powerful entity that can shake the earth and change Isaac's fate.

Today, we fight!

(Aka vote Isaac, leggo)
The Bear and Bird are just mere beasts who have yet to be fallen.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
I'm still supportive of the characters, and god knows that Isaac and Geno are the last major two to deserve a spot after a decade of speculation and fan support, but for me, it's time to move my expectations to just a single new character.
Last two huh? There's a bear and a bird who would like to have a word with you lol.

That said, this post contains my top 3 choices of all time so I feel your pain. Never give up :)

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai has teased characters with tweets/comments in the past. The problem is discovering which are actual hints and which are not. Such is the atmosphere of uncertainty that is Smash speculation.

Isaac and Banjo are both characters I love very much and I want them evenly (both are the tied for my current most wanted with Geno right behind).

Q-Long

Smash Lord

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Here is an arrangement from Golden Sun I found that was made not too long ago. I thought people here would enjoy it and I could see this song being worked into a remix in Smash (maybe paired with another song).

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Here is an arrangement from Golden Sun I found that was made not too long ago. I thought people here would enjoy it and I could see this song being worked into a remix in Smash (maybe paired with another song).
Sounds good. I am hoping more for this myself:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
he tweeted a replica monado in a glass case back during the smash 4 days before shulk was announced.

That says 2013. It was not days, but instead an entire year before Shulk was revealed. It hints, sure, but it's in your face about it. That's on an entirely different level from "there are barrels and ladders in the background where it's not even the focal point" or "my eyes are red which could be a hint or it could simply just mean I'm overworking myself as I've done in the past".

All I'm trying to say is that with Ultimate at least, if these are hints, they're not supposed to be obvious. It looks more like it simply is to incite discussion out of eagle-eyed fans rather than make it so clear that literally everyone expects the character. There are still many skeptics about Isaac's chances.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Sounds good. I am hoping more for this myself:

Oh sure. Saturos battle theme and Venus Lighthouse are often the tracks people want most (and yes I want them too). Still I would like for us to have more than just these two songs (and returning Golden Sun songs). I think Ready for a Challenge, Issac's battle theme, and Walking Forward with Determination are the three additional songs I would pick (if I had to choose three more). Man Golden Sun has some really good songs for Smash.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

That says 2013. It was not days, but instead an entire year before Shulk was revealed. It hints, sure, but it's in your face about it. That's on an entirely different level from "there are barrels and ladders in the background where it's not even the focal point" or "my eyes are red which could be a hint or it could simply just mean I'm overworking myself as I've done in the past".

All I'm trying to say is that with Ultimate at least, if these are hints, they're not supposed to be obvious. It looks more like it simply is to incite discussion out of eagle-eyed fans rather than make it so clear that literally everyone expects the character. There are still many skeptics about Isaac's chances.
If I remember correctly I don't think this tweet made it clear to anyone that Shulk was coming. People were hopeful but nobody was going around calling him a lock.

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Btw.. About the interview:

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...n-character-reveals-isabelles-inclusion-more/

"Apologies for my absence last week. The earthquake in eastern Iburi, Hokkaido put a hold on the Nintendo Direct, as we could no longer use the original draft we had prepared."

Subtle~ :nifty:
I don’t want to get too far into speculation territory, but this does answer one question.

“Was the Direct altered?” The answer to that is a resounding yes. To what end? We don’t know. So don’t get too excited.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Just a quick question for everyone.

What actually makes you want Isaac as a playable character so badly? I mean like I know you like Golden Sun and would like another game but lets play imagination and say we already got a Golden Sun game - would you still vote for him? I personally would.

I mean like, there are a handful of characters out there that are as deserving as him, but I don't know what personally makes me want him as a playable so bad. It's probably the uniqueness and the fact that I want something that is "out of reach" in many peoples eyes, I want to see the excitement of all the fans that supported him and the haters to keep to eat their words. Man that vision would be so delightful. :p

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace

What actually makes you want Isaac as a playable character so badly? I mean like I know you like Golden Sun and would like another game but lets play imagination and say we already got a Golden Sun game - would you still vote for him? I personally would.

I mean like, there are a handful of characters out there that are as deserving as him, but I don't know what personally makes me want him as a playable so bad. It's probably the uniqueness and the fact that I want something that is "out of reach" in many peoples eyes, I want to see the excitement of all the fans that supported him and the haters to keep to eat their words. Man that vision would be so delightful. :p
Personally I want Isaac in because I loved the golden sun series as a game and the fan base. It’s an underrated wonderful part of Nintendo that I think deserves another chance at the spotlight. Ever since I saw Isaac as an assist trophy in brawl, I’ve been a longtime fan. That and after playing as him a lot in super smash flash 2, I would kill to be able to take that to the real deal.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think one thing that's worth remembering is that, if there's one thing I've learned from being a Smash Bros fan over the years is that when you think you know what's going to happen next, you don't.

Barring some kind of ESRB level leak, there's always room for surprises.

So many of us thought Isaac would be revealed in the last direct but it turned out to be Isabelle.....and not only that but she wasn't an echo fighter at all. Some people will say that it was obvious Isabelle wasn't going to be an echo but that's not the point....the point is the community thought they knew what was up but they didn't.

I think the Smash community in general is very guilty of getting into the mindset that it knows what will happen next. I think there's a very good chance that's still happening now even as we move into the final few months.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman

Are you implying...

DkF4bL-U4AAWBTz.jpg large.jpg

But in all seriousness, i really want isaac in the game but for my sanity´s sake and being realistic, im 98% sure he is not. MAYBE as dlc .

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Last two huh? There's a bear and a bird who would like to have a word with you lol.

That said, this post contains my top 3 choices of all time so I feel your pain. Never give up :)
I wouldn't put Banjo Kazooie in the same place as them request wise. They've not been taken super seriously as requests until the Ballot and Phil Spencer's comments in 2015. That's what fueled the Banjo Kazooie hype train coming into this game. I actually want Banjo Kazooie slightly more than Isaac overall, but I don't think he falls into the same place. He was the pipe dream people didn't even take the time to believe in due to his ownership belonging with Microsoft. He's had a comparatively shorter hype cycle. Same sort of sentiment with Bandanna Dee, he wasn't even thought of til Smash 4 speculation, and I saw he became more of a presence overall during DLC. That's not to discredit the major fans and not say they don't have big communities, polls will tell you just how popular the both of them are, but they've not had the overall build up of Geno and Isaac.

Isaac, and especially Geno, get far more associated with the Brawl speculation and timeline. Isaac at least got the assist at the time, so there was a ton of support going into Smash 4 about his inclusion. The two of them have been on pretty even ground with regards to requests and fan outcry from what I've seen. Geno has lost some of his luster from Brawl while Isaac has generally gained. They're the two communities with the longest and biggest history left with the inclusions of Ridley and King K Rool in this game, while Mega Man and Little Mac helped to satisfy some bigger communities in Smash 4.

That's why I think they deserve it potentially more overall, is just the amount that people have fought for them and supported them over the years. Beautiful communities have sprung out of these characters and lasted for over a decade. Communities who I think should see some reward in a case where popular picks are being considered, especially considering the fact they've been playing the defensive since about day one. Even now, supporters get called nostalgic blinded old people for wanting them in, and often get strawmanned with people saying they don't like new characters. They've fought against relevance for years at this point, and especially nowadays.

Whereas Bandanna Dee remains (now at least) a staple of Kirby, Waluigi will keep showing up in Mario related content, Lyn will continue to be celebrated as a popular Fire Emblem character in spin offs, and even Banjo Kazooie will retain a large legacy for years to come despite Microsoft's mishandling (and will always could be a massive get to future Smash entries), they aren't guaranteed such a lucky fate. Isaac and Geno are the true epitomes of irrelevant, and people want to see them live on. Smash is the best opportunity for these two to get another shot as popular characters. People who support them are often fighting for the character themselves as much as their inclusion in Smash. Geno fans want a proper Super Mario RPG 2 alongside Geno's return as a side character, Isaac fans want Golden Sun as a franchise to continue beyond Dark Dawn. Banjo can get a little bit of a comparison here, but at least Microsoft will still reference him every now and then and his franchise is much more out of Nintendo's hands. Krystal is probably the best comparison as she faces a lot too, but at least she's been taken up as an assist trophy and there has been a much more noticeable decline in her support overall from my observations.

Sorry for the massive post, and I don't entirely disagree that Banjo should be in. He just doesn't have the legacy as a Smash related character fighting for acknowledgement in the same way that these two sworn, well selling and received, but not entirely earth-shattering RPG game characters are (Well Isaac does do a bit of a earth-shattering I suppose). This is may well be their last chance with future games unable to support the massive roster as well, so there is this absolutely massive push for both of them in an unfortunately final sort of way. After all this time, and massive fan support and excellent polling with all that context in mind, I see them as the two that absolutely deserve to get in and should be the final reveals of Smash Ultimate if Sakurai can both acknowledge all of this and ascribe the same importance to their inclusions.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Are you implying...

View attachment 166767

But in all seriousness, i really want isaac in the game but for my sanity´s sake and being realistic, im 98% sure he is not. MAYBE as dlc .
That's not being realistic, that's being pessimistic.

You never know who is in until the final roster is confirmed and we all want Isaac of course but patience is what is needed. Obviously take everything with a grain of salt and if Isaac is surely in, you will be a lot happier =O!

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

because isaac is cool does cool things

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice

Absolutely nothing. I don't want Isaac, I want Golden Sun.

I'm not being cute, Isaac is 100% means to an end. As a character he's pretty bland and uninteresting, but I love Golden Sun and he's the best choice to get a foot in the door.

Top Bottom