• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
The difference is that we have a direct reference sent by the man himself. I think we're good.
I, along with many others, thought Ridley was good in SSB4 after the shadow tease, but that didn't pan out. As much as I like to believe the picture is a Golden Sun reference, and quite possibly has Isaac just cut off on the right, I can't help but be nervous we're seeing something where nothing was intended. Here's hoping that is just me being paranoid!

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It's not super relevant to Golden Sun, but I really hope that we actually get a real Virtual Console. I don't care much for NES games nor subscribing instead of directly purchasing, so the NSO service does nothing for me. I'd buy the heck out of games on VC just because they're portable and the Switch is just such a convenient console to play. Nintendo is really missing the boat if they don't come through here.

Last edited:

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
I, along with many others, thought Ridley was good in SSB4 after the shadow tease, but that didn't pan out. As much as I like to believe the picture is a Golden Sun reference, and quite possibly has Isaac just cut off on the right, I can't help but be nervous we're seeing something where nothing was intended. Here's hoping that is just me being paranoid!
OK, I'm sorry to be mean but the shadow = Ridley stuff was bull**** from the start.

Sakurai, in that clip, was talking about bosses and said "And other stage bosses will appear too!" and then it showed Ridley's shadow. How anybody could misconstrue that as Ridley being playable boggles my mind.

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
It actually works in our favor; if there's no VC, why would they make trademarks related to Golden Sun being on the Switch? It's pretty curious

Also, has anyone figured out a reason why the trademark includes phone cases?
I would love some Golden Sun merchandising in any way

Q-Long

Smash Lord
OK, I'm sorry to be mean but the shadow = Ridley stuff was bull**** from the start.

Sakurai, in that clip, was talking about bosses and said "And other stage bosses will appear too!" and then it showed Ridley's shadow. How anybody could misconstrue that as Ridley being playable boggles my mind.
I thought that deconfirmed him, but I could see why someone would think he would be playable. Not sure why he would hide a character we have seen dozens of times unless it was some sort of "Giga Bowser" style remake of the character

osby

Smash Obsessed
I thought that deconfirmed him, but I could see why someone would think he would be playable. Not sure why he would hide a character we have seen dozens of times unless it was some sort of "Giga Bowser" style remake of the character
I mean, they gave him a new design.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
esty's got keychains and djinn stickers and things. but like official nintendo stuff thats not the games, I don't see that happening. :/
I can't wait to get djinn amiibo, lol. At least we would get an Isaac amiibo for sure. But if the trademark means way more than just a smash character, I think we could be seeing some type of merch coming later as well. I checked and those Etsy stuff really look nice, that's where I got my 3D printed Majora Mask. Very nice stuff.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Don't feel like Ridley's situation is the same. The minute the shadow was teased should have been the indicator that Ridley was deconfirmed. I don't think any newcomer has been shown in gameplay like that without being first introduced with a trailer. Ridley's shadow also had the 'other bosses could appear' or something as it was shown.

The thing about the screenshot, if Isaac was actually in it. He'd be deconfirmed. It would just mean it's his assist posed to stand with them if he's just there casually without a trailer introduction. At least we haven't seen Golden Sun in any capacity yet (assist, music etc.)

Another thing is we were all supporting Isaac before Sakurai posted that tweet on August 8th. Isaac's chances don't hinge on the screenshot being a GS reference or not, even if one doesn't want to put full stock into the tweet being a GS reference, Isaac has a list of other things going for him.

Though I feel like the uncertainty and pessimism regarding Isaac's chances, despite more going for him now than in 4, is more so Sakurai saying to not expect many newcomers.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord

I would watch RelaxAlax’s video on it back in the day. If you don’t feel like doing it, a lot of t comes down to how it’s a very silly marketing decision to tease something with little to no payout in the end. Just about zero people were hoping to see Ridley as a boss character, so why tease it?

So like Xenigma said, the situation isn’t that different from Isaac’s at all. Many people are viewing the Rathalos tweet as a hint, even though the tweet is referencing assist trophies. Just like how the Ridley tease was reference boss characters. It would be very stupid to tease an assist, but it was also pretty stupid to tease a boss character.

Knight-Adept

Smash Cadet
Ah, but the tease isn't in the list of AT's, it's in the missing fourth fighter in the lineup. In any case, I think it would be so monumentally divisive to leave Golden Sun- along with it's very considerable support (gestures at post count)- hanging out to dry, only to reveal Isaac as... an *Assist Trophy*. It wouldn't just be stupid, it would be absolutely ridiculous.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
If Isaac makes it into Smash, I'm going to be fitst in damn line to get an Isaac amiibo (and Simon amiibo too whenever that gets announced).
Not if I'm there to get Isaac, Simon and Richter first! Lol

Got every Smash amiibo back during the amiibo hunts. Once I stayed at Target (first in line) with some friend for wave 3 from 12am to 8am and then walked immediately to Toys R Us and stayed till 10am. What a night that was. Actually had fun, but it sucked too. Honestly, I'm not looking forward to the hunt again, but I want those amiibo dang it!

ZelDan

Smash Master
Not if I'm there to get Isaac, Simon and Richter first! Lol

Got every Smash amiibo back during the amiibo hunts. Once I stayed at Target (first in line) with some friend for wave 3 from 12am to 8am and then walked immediately to Toys R Us and stayed till 10am. What a night that was. Actually had fun, but it sucked too. Honestly, I'm not looking forward to the hunt again, but I want those amiibo dang it!
That's certainly dedication. I never had and never will have interestin getting all amiibo, I just want an amiibo for each of my favorite franchises/games. Which reminds me that I should probably get a K Rool amiibo too since I never got a DK one before.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking banjo takes it with 53%. Hes definitely the most popular newcomer but Isaac is close

I noticed Phoenix Wright is still alive in that poll. Can someone please explain to me why he is so requested for smash? I've never played ace attorney so I wouldnt know, but where does any idea of a moveset for him even come from?
I think he was in a fighting game already? I imagine he used "plead the 5th" and "objection" in his arsenal lol

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I will buy at least two Isaac amiibo. One to use and one to display
Same.

On the whole Nintendo online service: I’m not all doom and gloom about it... although I have been dealing with paid online service for a good portion of my life so I’ve become sort of desensitized to it all.

I just hope they work on their connectivity a bit more. And provide a party function to talk with friends. Other than that i don’t care what else they provide.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I would watch RelaxAlax’s video on it back in the day. If you don’t feel like doing it, a lot of t comes down to how it’s a very silly marketing decision to tease something with little to no payout in the end. Just about zero people were hoping to see Ridley as a boss character, so why tease it?

So like Xenigma said, the situation isn’t that different from Isaac’s at all. Many people are viewing the Rathalos tweet as a hint, even though the tweet is referencing assist trophies. Just like how the Ridley tease was reference boss characters. It would be very stupid to tease an assist, but it was also pretty stupid to tease a boss character.
Well to be fair, even being aware of the fans demand for the character, in Sakurai's mind, he felt like Ridley couldn't be portrayed accurately as a fighter vs if he were made a stage boss. Flash forward to Ultimate and he makes Ridley playable the very next game. I'm sure there was tons of disappointed fans with the Ridley stage boss reveal.

So I don't see why he'd do the same teasing that made quite a majority of fans think Ridley was playable, on yet another highly requested character that people have been clamouring for. Especially if it's to tease an assist (where dozens have alreasy been revealed) unless Isaac has been upgraded to the level of Alucard (and to that end he may as well just be playable).

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma

This is precisely what happened. It was a relatively nonsensical tease since Ridley as a boss was old news thanks to Brawl, and with the shadow appearing to be roughly Charizard-sized, there was rampant speculation this was a hint that Ridley was actually going to be playable. After all, Ridley had a massive fanbase at the time that had been clamoring for him since the days of Melee, and surely this was a sign that Sakurai had finally taken the hint, right? Obviously not everyone was on board with that theory, but it was very prevalent and difficult to disprove until Pyrosphere got a full reveal.

Flash forward to today, where we're taking a tweet of the Rathalos assist trophy, itself a very notable third party collaboration worthy of special note by Sakurai, and claiming it is confirmation of playable Isaac because it resembles a Golden Sun battle scene. Sure, it seems obvious in retrospect that the Ridley boss tease was just that: a boss tease. This is potentially the same scenario: a promo picture of Rathalos that we're attaching a second, possibly unintentional meaning to when it may just be a promotional picture of Rathalos. Sure, I'd like to believe it is a Golden Sun/Isaac tease, but let's not pretend like that's a given.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Same.

On the whole Nintendo online service: I’m not all doom and gloom about it... although I have been dealing with paid online service for a good portion of my life so I’ve become sort of desensitized to it all.

I just hope they work on their connectivity a bit more. And provide a party function to talk with friends. Other than that i don’t care what else they provide.
I'm kind of in the same boat

The thing with me is, I've been paying for Xbox Live for a while now, and honestly, I never really took advantage of all of that service's perks and whatnot. I have downloaded some free games thanks to the service, but most of those games I haven't even played since I really only downloaded them because "why not, they're free!" and not really because I actually wanted them that badly. I largely payed 60$ for Xbox Live to play multiplayer games online. If I was willing to pay 60$ for stuff like Halo, Overwatch, Rocket League, etc., then 20$ a year for Smash and other certain Switch titles doesn't sound bad either.

The NES service is...something. I haven't actually played some of the NES games offered on the service, and I lost access to SMB3 and LoZ ever since giving away my old Wii, so I could see myself getting some use out of the NES stuff. GameXplain also showed off that you could download the Famicom version of the NES service if you have a Japanese account, which gives the games some differences, which is neat. I'm not going to ignore the staggering amount of missed opportunity behind them ONLY going with NES games so far though, I'm also pretty disappointed by that, but the NES service, for what it is, I don't think is outright awful.

The voice chat app is a convoluted mess and dumb, though I rarely use voice chat when playing with randoms, and for people I actually know and care about, there's discord, so whatever, Nintendo's dumb voice chat "solution" isn't a big deal or dealbreaker for me.

Only thing I find irksome about NIntendo's online is how they put cloud saves behind the service. Not that I particularly ever cared or put much thought into Cloud saves, or am ever afraid of losing or screwing up my hardware that badly, it's still a pretty BS move on Nintendo's part though.

Overall I'm not furious or completely turned off from Nintendo's online service, I'm just kind of "meh" on it. I probably won't really seriously consider getting into it until Smash Bros Ultimate comes out anyways.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Flash forward to today, where we're taking a tweet of the Rathalos assist trophy, itself a very notable third party collaboration worthy of special note by Sakurai, and claiming it is confirmation of playable Isaac because it resembles a Golden Sun battle scene. Sure, it seems obvious in retrospect that the Ridley boss tease was just that: a boss tease. This is potentially the same scenario: a promo picture of Rathalos that we're attaching a second, possibly unintentional meaning to when it may just be a promotional picture of Rathalos. Sure, I'd like to believe it is a Golden Sun/Isaac tease, but let's not pretend like that's a given.
The key difference here is that Nintendo themselves has to be aware of Isaac's demand. The ballot more likely than not showed that to them itself, and if not there's been several mentions of it especially now about it.

The reason Ridley got so much spotlight in the first place despite being a boss character is because of his popularity, and because Sakurai wanted to best represent the character how he saw it. And now what's happened is that's been turned on it's head, and now Ridley is playable.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
If Isaac is in, how "expensive" do you think his trailer will be?

Right now, the character reveal trailer list is something like this:

Palutena / Dark Pit - Animated Trailer
Greninja - A lot of different characters, original CG
Megaman - Animated trailer, but shorter than Greninja
Simon / Richter - Animated trailer, but only CG models were Simon, Richter, Weegee, and some Castlevania bosses
Rosalina - Lengthy driving section at beginning of trailer
Ridley - Animated parts were less lengthy than the above
Bowser Jr. - Short CG portion
Shulk - Short CG portion
Robin / Lucina - Uses FE Awakening Assets for cutscenes, though they had Falcon
Little Mac - Short little animated part, I think its comic book style in reference to how wanted he was in US
Wii Fit Trainer - CG, but short
Villager - CG, but short
Splatoon - CG but short
Isabelle - Mostly made using gameplay from the new AC
Snake - MGS Codec than gameplay footage
Duck Hunt - Mostly animated sprites
Ryu - Mostly just gameplay footage
Corrin - Just gameplay footage
Bayonetta - Just gameplay footage
Cloud - Just gameplay footage
Sonic - Just gameplay footage

ZelDan

Smash Master
If Isaac is in, how "expensive" do you think his trailer will be?

Right now, the character reveal trailer list is something like this:

Palutena / Dark Pit - Animated Trailer
Greninja - A lot of different characters, original CG
Megaman - Animated trailer, but shorter than Greninja
Simon / Richter - Animated trailer, but only CG models were Simon, Richter, Weegee, and some Castlevania bosses
Rosalina - Lengthy driving section at beginning of trailer
Ridley - Animated parts were less lengthy than the above
Bowser Jr. - Short CG portion
Shulk - Short CG portion
Robin / Lucina - Uses FE Awakening Assets for cutscenes, though they had Falcon
Little Mac - Short little animated part, I think its comic book style in reference to how wanted he was in US
Wii Fit Trainer - CG, but short
Villager - CG, but short
Splatoon - CG but short
Isabelle - Mostly made using gameplay from the new AC
Snake - MGS Codec than gameplay footage
Duck Hunt - Mostly animated sprites
Ryu - Mostly just gameplay footage
Corrin - Just gameplay footage
Bayonetta - Just gameplay footage
Cloud - Just gameplay footage
Sonic - Just gameplay footage
It will use real life actors and have Hollywood-tier production. It will be so moving it will be in the running for an Oscar.

Nah but seriously I don't know and honestly am pretty open to anything. I would assume they'll just handle it how they handle most reveals (like Ridley's, Bowser Jr's, Megaman's, etc.), though something more animated would be dope.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
It will use real life actors and have Hollywood-tier production. It will be so moving it will be in the running for an Oscar.

Isaac - Keanu Reeves
Pichu - Tom Hardy
Popo - Jackie Chan
Nana - Chris Tucker
Isabelle - George Lopez
Peach - Danny Trejo
Wario - Josh Brolin
Samus - The Rock

fund it

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Isaac - Keanu Reeves
Pichu - Tom Hardy
Popo - Jackie Chan
Nana - Chris Tucker
Isabelle - George Lopez
Peach - Danny Trejo
Wario - Josh Brolin
Samus - The Rock

fund it
I was just getting ready to fight you on that Isaac casting till I saw Nana as Chris Tucker and realized this was a joke lol.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So I was bored and decided to make these silly pics. Just imagining stuff that they could make now that the trademark thing has been going on around lately. It's ok to dream I guess…
djinnamiibo.png

1_5647254692.jpg
GS Switch.png
GSjoycons.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom