• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Similar mindset as what happened with Geno and Cloud. The hardcore wanted Geno, but the general current and wildly popular pick would be Cloud/Final Fantasy. The 3rd party series could easily prefer marketing their #1 instead of some dormant character they don't care about anymore. Banjo could make it in, but it's possible they'd rather him be DLC to make the extra bucks.
It might do you some good to actually read some of Sakurai's interviews. You'll actually get insight on his thought processes on the characters he chooses.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This Steve stuff is hilarious. Remember:

Vergeben has leaked 3 characters so far and stated his sources don't invalidate Box Theory. Now we have a 4th, meaning something has to give. Either Vergeben is sucking as much attention out as he can and dropped Box Theory as quick as he could when it was beginning to bite him, or he got a bombshell of new information in the last 2? days that leads to this conclusion.

Remember that Sakurai doesn't care about marketing choices. He had the option of choosing any FF character, many of which would probably be more appealing to current consumers, and he went with the one he viewed as an icon and that *fans* wanted. It would be unlikely how he's acted in the past to cheese Banjo supporters like that and go with a popular character nobody asked for.
Steve isn't even a "popular character". Minecraft itself is popular. Nobody gives a **** about Steve because most people can't see him anyway, and I'm sure many people who play Minecraft don't even bother keeping Steve as the default skin regardless. Or they just don't care in general.

The Steve rumor is really just Verge saying that the content could "potentially" be a playable character, and it's something he's never been definitive on from the moment he first leaked Minecraft content.

I don't like how it's so vague and wishy-washy, but for right now, it means nothing.
Well, I'd argue most of his later info was rather wishy-washy. "Pokemon from Gen 7" (lolwut) and "Square Enix representative" rather than anything concrete like what he had stated previously. Yeah he said Pokemon from Gen 7 that wasn't Mimikyu, then later threw Lycanroc and Decidueye on there, which arguably made it even worse.

The biggest thing Vergeben got was Simon, which admittedly, yeah, that's a longshot for anyone to guess, though I've seen others point out that let's imagine Vergeben didn't say Simon. People's minds would've been on Simon the moment Snake came back and Bomberman got deconfirmed.

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
This Steve stuff is hilarious. Remember:

Vergeben has leaked 3 characters so far and stated his sources don't invalidate Box Theory. Now we have a 4th, meaning something has to give. Either Vergeben is sucking as much attention out as he can and dropped Box Theory as quick as he could when it was beginning to bite him, or he got a bombshell of new information in the last 2? days that leads to this conclusion.

Remember that Sakurai doesn't care about marketing choices. He had the option of choosing any FF character, many of which would probably be more appealing to current consumers, and he went with the one he viewed as an icon and that *fans* wanted. It would be unlikely how he's acted in the past to cheese Banjo supporters like that and go with a popular character nobody asked for.
I know that Vergeben said that Minecraft continent was comming, but when the hell did he say steve was gonna be playable?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Fire Emblem? :ultmarth: and maybe :ultike:? Overall it's one that could suffer the most from a reboot. Chrom and Lucina were padding. Roy and Corrin were marketing. Robin isn't the most popular in smash, but they could scrape by possibly as they can stand their ground outside of that with Awakening's success.
Only :ultmarth: would be needed as he is the face of the franchise.

No I'm pretty sure Robin would be safe, not only is his gimmick unique but also Awakening is a very key game in FE's success and the only reason the series isn't dead. Awakening certainly deserves a spot in Smash for what it accomplished and since he's the only non echo from that game I don't see him disappearing anytime soon.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I would say for FE, a regular sword guy (:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultike::ultroy::ultchrom:) along with Robin and Corrin would do just fine, three FE characters with different playstyles.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
No I'm pretty sure Robin would be safe, not only is his gimmick unique but also Awakening is a very key game in FE's success and the only reason the series isn't dead. Awakening certainly deserves a spot in Smash for what it accomplished and since he's the only non echo from that game I don't see him disappearing anytime soon.
I am responding to what VextheHex said, he mentioned that those who were the faces of their franchise should be in. Lucina is the face of the Awakening Fire Emblem game because she is the most popular out of the Fire Emblem Awakening cast and resonates with most who played the series. It is not about gimmics or moveset potential, but who is seen as the "face" of the successful times in the franchises history.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Well, I'd argue most of his later info was rather wishy-washy. "Pokemon from Gen 7" (lolwut) and "Square Enix representative" rather than anything concrete like what he had stated previously. Yeah he said Pokemon from Gen 7 that wasn't Mimikyu, then later threw Lycanroc and Decidueye on there, which arguably made it even worse.

The biggest thing Vergeben got was Simon, which admittedly, yeah, that's a longshot for anyone to guess, though I've seen others point out that let's imagine Vergeben didn't say Simon. People's minds would've been on Simon the moment Snake came back and Bomberman got deconfirmed.
The SE rep as a whole bothers me. If it's supposed to be Geno, it's hard to believe that he'd be catching wind of info like that. Like with Ridley, K. Rool, "Everyone is Here!", and hopefully Isaac, this is the kind of content that Sakurai would keep on a lock and key for this game.

But if it's not supposed to be Geno... how does that make any sense? Sakurai has wanted Geno and knows fans do too if the ballot and Mii costume are any indication. If he went to speak with SE about another character, it should be obvious that he'd go specifically in the hopes of acquiring Geno. That was his mindset with Cloud. Why would he settle for somebody different, even if it got him the character as DLC, when that would take away from significant dev time as any newcomer would?

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Did anyone see that big leak from a guy who claimed to be a witness of the prima guide? Apparently the vault boy from fallout and steve from minecraft are going to be playable if its right. I for one am not seeing that happening.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
I am responding to what VextheHex said, he mentioned that those who were the faces of their franchise should be in. Lucina is the face of the Awakening Fire Emblem game because she is the most popular out of the Fire Emblem Awakening cast and resonates with most who played the series. It is not about gimmics or moveset potential, but who is seen as the "face" of the successful times in the franchises history.
Marth, Ike, Robin imo. All you need to do is give Marth hair extensions and you get Lucina, basically a 2-in-1

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Marth, Ike, Robin imo. All you need to do is give Marth hair extensions and you get Lucina, basically a 2-in-1
Except Ike goes against what VexTheHex (or from what I gather) said about characters showing the downside of a series franchise. Ike was the main character in both of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, the games that were released when the Fire Emblem series started to fall.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Chrom and Lucina have an argument for the role of face but still I don't think Sakurai would choose either echo over Robin to represent FE Awakening especially since he chose him to do so the first time anyway and Lucina was lucky to fit over Marth's skeleton.

lexpic17

Smash Rookie
I think good Fire Emblem representation would be Ike and Lucina (really popular characters) and Robin and Corrin (unique protagonists). No clones in sight.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
I just want my Isaac anxiety to be over with. I have enough normal anxiety to deal with thank you very much.

Last edited:

Rethuic

Smash Apprentice
I do find the Steve stuff to be ridiculous this game seems geared for the smash fans, well, it is since Sakurai is using the ballot. It's like Sakurai is taking a look at the Smash bros memes over the years as well

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Chrom and Lucina have an argument for the role of face but still I don't think Sakurai would choose either echo over Robin to represent FE Awakening especially since he chose him to do so the first time anyway and Lucina was lucky to fit over Marth's skeleton.
Them being echos or their own characters does not factor into VexTheHex's argument (or from what I can gather). The argument of Chrom and Lucina could be argued yes.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Except Ike goes against what VexTheHex (or from what I gather) said about characters showing the downside of a series franchise. Ike was the main character in both of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, the games that were released when the Fire Emblem series started to fall.
It sucks cause fe9 is my favorite

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
So, Pikachu is the new fighter reveal for the blog. What Blog post number would that be?

I dunno, Ike was key to getting the USA into Fire Emblem

Also the memes
Heh! Hurricane Ike meme comes to mind. Now Isaac has one. Oh boy...

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I do find the Steve stuff to be ridiculous this game seems geared for the smash fans, well, it is since Sakurai is using the ballot. It's like Sakurai is taking a look at the Smash bros memes over the years as well
I hate the idea of Steve as a PC.

I love the idea of a Minecraft stage.

Funny innit? Just imagine starting above ground. Each time you load up the stage it’s a randomized “seed”. Hitting the ground with a lot of force breaks blocks and you can do this to dig your way through the stage with randomized tunnels, water, lava, the works until, if somehow the match goes that long, and you hit bedrock.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If there’s any validity to the theories of Steve being playable, it’s the fact that traditionally the last reveal is the least hype.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I hate the idea of Steve as a PC.

I love the idea of a Minecraft stage.

Funny innit? Just imagine starting above ground. Each time you load up the stage it’s a randomized “seed”. Hitting the ground with a lot of force breaks blocks and you can do this to dig your way through the stage with randomized tunnels, water, lava, the works until, if somehow the match goes that long, and you hit bedrock.
Minecraft Stage would be better suited for DLC imo.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Mark my words. If freakin' Steve makes it into the game, he's going to be an eternal punching bag that sees no playtime from me at all. And if Isaac makes it into the game and freakin' Steve is there, then it'll be all the more satisfying to blast that blocky man into oblivion with Judgement. yeah I'm not gonna hide the fact I loathe the idea of freakin' Steve. And I'm gonna keep calling him "freakin' Steve" from now on.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Mark my words. If freakin' Steve makes it into the game, he's going to be an eternal punching bag that sees no playtime from me at all. And if Isaac makes it into the game and freakin' Steve is there, then it'll be all the more satisfying to blast that blocky man into oblivion with Judgement. yeah I'm not gonna hide the fact I loathe the idea of freakin' Steve. And I'm gonna keep calling him "freakin' Steve" from now on.
I'm not a fan of the idea of Steve either

ZelDan

Smash Master
The worst timeline would be that Steve makes it into the game, attracting alot pf the causal crowd and over 90% of online matches have him. But then Steve is also Ultimate's OP character so even tournaments are largely occupied by Steve mains.

*shivers and holds back vomit at the thought**

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
For a Smash reboot, my FE choices would be Marth, Hector and Robin.
The first lord for legacy, a lord of the first international game and a main character of the most successful game in the franchise; prioritizing the last 2 over Lyn (who is met before Eliwood overseas) and Chrom/Lucina due to weapon variety.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I do love Minecraft and I can see why a moveset for it would be really interesting. Problem is Steve clashes way too hard with the artstyle and there's no way in hell he should get in before Banjo & Kazooie. Right now should be the time for the remainder of our fan favorites getting in: Isaac, Geno, Banjo, Bandana Dee, etc. Can't stand that stupid "Prima leak" that has the audacity to suggest Vault Boy and Steve are in before Isaac, Dee, Banjo, and Skull Kid.

If you can make Steve work as DLC and after Banjo & Kazooie are in, sure. That's fine, but a stage represents the series just as well.

Mav485

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1504-7090-2374
Switch FC
SW 7228 3594 2505
Just to throw in my two cents on a stripped down roster for a possible Smash reboot...

Mario, Peach, Bowser, Luigi, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Fox, Samus, and Pikachu are absolutes to me. Pokemon Trainer would be there too since Pokemon “deserves” the rep.

Fire Emblem: If it’s two in, I go Lucina and Robin. Lucina makes the cut if it’s only one.

Capt. Falcon and Ness come back as originals who rep their series. Isabelle gets in because it’s Animal Crossing and she seems to be the current, popular AC rep. Past that....I dunno. I’d make an argument for Wii Fit Trainer as the “Retro(?)/WTF/History” entry. As for third party, I’d only consider Sonic or Mega Man. That’s about as stripped down as I could go for a reboot roster before it gets tough.

CHANGE OF SUBJECT

I firmly and completely hate the idea of Steve as a PC in Ultimate. I’m all in on a stage for Minecraft though. Some series would just be better represented by stages rather than characters and Minecraft is the perfect example of that. Advance Wars could be another for that (Though I’d be 100% behind Andy getting in since I love AW) or Tetris. Steve would be the first time I actively despise a character addition to Smash.

Edit and more on topic: Isaac rules! =P

Last edited:

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Just to throw in my two cents on a stripped down roster for a possible Smash reboot...

Mario, Peach, Bowser, Luigi, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Fox, Samus, and Pikachu are absolutes to me. Pokemon Trainer would be there too since Pokemon “deserves” the rep.

Fire Emblem: If it’s two in, I go Lucina and Robin. Lucina makes the cut if it’s only one.

Capt. Falcon and Ness come back as originals who rep their series. Isabelle gets in because it’s Animal Crossing and she seems to be the current, popular AC rep. Past that....I dunno. I’d make an argument for Wii Fit Trainer as the “Retro(?)/WTF/History” entry. As for third party, I’d only consider Sonic or Mega Man. That’s about as stripped down as I could go for a reboot roster before it gets tough.

CHANGE OF SUBJECT

I firmly and completely hate the idea of Steve as a PC in Ultimate. I’m all in on a stage for Minecraft though. Some series would just be better represented by stages rather than characters and Minecraft is the perfect example of that. Advance Wars could be another for that (Though I’d be 100% behind Andy getting in since I love AW) or Tetris. Steve would be the first time I actively despise a character addition to Smash.

Edit and more on topic: Isaac rules! =P
Tetris as a stage would be kind of interesting, but a Tetris smash game mode would be more interesting, IMO

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Same. I like to play through all the single-player content (Classic, All-Star, Smash Run) with every single character, but if freakin’ Steve were to make it in I’d make an exception. I’d try to act as if he wasn’t in the game as much as humanly possible.

Top Bottom