• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I think the thing that most disappointed me about Isabelle being revealed might also be the reason everybody went all doom and gloom. It isn't that is was her per say, she is a very liked character and AC having another rep isn't a bad thing.

It was that she killed the hype train...let me explain.
Ridley: bam out of the floor after killing 2 people.
Simon: bam killed death! (Can you even do that?)
K. Rool: bam b**** smack DeDeDe!
Isabelle: lalala cleaning the office...

See? Hype train derailed! No more good characters! We are all gonna die!
Everybody should chill out a little bit.
Really, for me, I think it’s just that she wasn’t on the list of potential unique newcomers that I’d built.

Isaac
Incineroar
Geno
Skull Kid
Banjo and Kazooie

I wasn’t expecting Isaac. But I was expecting one of these guys. As it is, we got someone I had discounted as an Echo. And we lost another reveal position for it.

I went in thinking we only had three unique characters left to reveal. One here, two in a Smash Direct later. That hasn’t changed.

Now instead of it being three chances for five characters, which are pretty good odds, it’s two chances, and at least six characters, because semi clones being uniques instead of Echoes means Dixie joins the list.

Every announcement that goes by is another slot that could have been Isaac’s. There are not many left. There’s just no opportunities to announce them.

So the odds of getting Isaac are plummeting. More competition instead of less, and fewer and fewer opportunities for a reveal.

And if Veggieburger is right, Isaac has no chance.

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
So once Isaac and 50 cents are in, what should we do, push for more GS content, Support the last of the five king from brawl era as a super coalition. (King K Rool, Ridley, Geno Isaac and 50 CENTS) or just go our separate way? :happysheep:
Obviously we push for more content. Just because our boy could get in doesn't mean his popularity will rise for a new game release, However I know if he got in smash it would most likely happen. There is no denying he's cool so I have faith if he got into smash that alone would probably provoke the development of a new game and create younger new fan base. Like what Awakening did for Fire emblem.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
So once Isaac and 50 cents are in, what should we do, push for more GS content, Support the last of the five king from brawl era as a super coalition. (King K Rool, Ridley, Geno Isaac and 50 CENTS) or just go our separate way? :happysheep:
I think a Geno campaign would be awesome. Both him and Isaac in a Smash game together would be the old guard dream come true, to say nothing of the Brawl hype group

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
He also kept giving Ridley special attention. Seriously no other character was talked about as much by Sakurai as Ridley. Isaac has nothing at the moment. And if he gets nothing again I've got no more fight. Sure if there is another ballot I'll vote for him but I'm participating in fan polls or trying to convince people that Isaac is a worthwhile choice after we know the roster because there just isn't a point. Sakurai just isn't taking notice and it's too much. But that's then and this is now so I'm good until we know the last character.
:ultridley: was/is kind of a big deal. That is why he was at E3 and if he was shown at E3 and was in the demo build for the game then yes Sakurai is going to talk about him a lot. And if you are talking about the interview where he said Ridley was too big, that was likely just Sakurai trying to damage control the backlash. Sakurai did not make Ridley a popular request, the fans made Ridley the popular request. The same thing could happen to any character that gets talked about enough (Isaac, Waluigi, Geno, ect.).

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I think a Geno campaign would be awesome. Both him and Isaac in a Smash game together would be the old guard dream come true, to say nothing of the Brawl hype group
I'm not even a Geno fan, but the idea of him, Isaac, Ridley and K. Rool all fighting together would be a huge dose of nostalgia for the days of Brawl speculation.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I have this fear that the big four of brawl are going to be two of the first reveals and two of the last reveals.
In other words, starting with ridley and k rool, ending with isaac and geno.
So in other words, we might get strung along til the last smash direct.
In other words, argh.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
:ultridley: was/is kind of a big deal. That is why he was at E3 and if he was shown at E3 and was in the demo build for the game then yes Sakurai is going to talk about him a lot. And if you are talking about the interview where he said Ridley was too big, that was likely just Sakurai trying to damage control the backlash. Sakurai did not make Ridley a popular request, the fans made Ridley the popular request. The same thing could happen to any character that gets talked about enough (Isaac, Waluigi, Geno, ect.).

I'm sorry but if Isaac isn't on the base this post sums up my feelings on the situation. Sure the fans make a character big but it takes Sakurai noticing and wanting it for it to actually happen. He literally kept trying to do Ridley justice it's not surprising he ended up playable but as he said trying hard isn't always enough. I won't be convinced Isaac has a shot as DLC. It's hopeless so I will focus on the base exclusively after that I'm out but feel free to keep trying.

Last edited:

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
I'm not even a Geno fan, but the idea of him, Isaac, Ridley and K. Rool all fighting together would be a huge dose of nostalgia for the days of Brawl speculation.
I concur when and if Isaac gets into Smash I suggest a change in name to this thread and include Geno in the title. Maybe with a P Diddy tagline as well since Geno is older jk.

Last edited:

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I feel it is too soon to get worried about if Isaac has or not a chance as a DLC character, we still haven't made it to the end of the base roster, so let's focus on that and IF Isaac is still MIA when the game launches, theen we can worry about how DLC is going to roll for this game.
To be honest, I think we should focus on the fact that Sakurai IS trying to please people and make this game really for the fans (as opposed to Smash 4, mind you) so Isaac still has a chance specially given how much noise the GS fandom made on that Rathalos picture (disregarding if it is or not meant a reference), it is impossible that Sakurai and his team didn't notice. The image comparison with GS has over 200 retweets and 700+ likes, without counting the other people that made the connection a lot of them around 100+ likes respectively. There is just no way that Sakurai isn't aware.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I concur when and if Isaac gets into Smash I suggest a change in name to this thread and include Geno in the title. Maybe with a P Diddy tagline as well since Geno is older jk.
How bout something involving Astral Blast?

Edit: Oh hey, I can now attach files. Did I have to post enough times or... ah maybe it's based on a month after you join.

Last edited:

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking Stoic should do a design with the big 5 as a personal mural for the fans. And we send a bunch to Sakarai and the people at Sora ltd as a thank you note.

(That's if they are all in.)

Last edited:

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
Question for all of you. If Isaac doesn't make the basic roster, do you think he could still get in as DLC? I say this because of the "no more stages" theory, and so far it's holding up.

I'm just curious if Isaac would be too niche to sell on his own. (Same goes for Banjo-Kazooie.) This is most likely the reason we got so many third party DLC characters.
Trust me Isaac being niche isn't going to hurt him as DLC. We can't underestimate how people choose to buy characters and just how many casual gamers are out there. Here is how it would go.

Who is this character? He has a cool looking sword. Wow look at all of that earth magic (psnergy). Did he just use plants to attack? Look at those cute plushy things (djinn). The plushies give him more attacks? Who is this knight guy (Judgement). Did he just nuke the place? Look at this cool stage. He has an echo fighter (Felix). Did his echo fighter literally throw a small sun at someone? Wow these characters are really cool for Fire Emblem characters. There not from
Fire Emblem? What is Golden Sun? I guess I need to check it out.

Future Golden Sun fans and they don't even know it.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/1040435397753417728

Could something Smash-related *Isaac/Geno/Vaati/etc.* be revealed at this event?
I've said this with Evo, Gamescom, and TGS and have been proven right all three times.

They're more likely to do their own direct AROUND that time rather than AT that event. Dunno why but Nintendo always likes to make their spectacle have it's own spotlight separate from EVERYTHING else.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Isaac has enough Venus adept related Pokemon in Smash Ultimate to make a team

- Alolan Executtor
- Metagross
- Bellosum
- Chespin
- Scizor
- Abombasnow

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
If Isaac is in the game, but Felix isn't.

There is still a chance for him to be a Semi-clone like Falco as DLC. (However, let's focus on Isaac's chances right now.)

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
What would be your reactions if Golden Sun gets a new game somehow but it begins going down the FE:F/FE:H route of fanservice-y fanservice?

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
I really do not want a Yokai Watch in Smash, not because I don't think it would be cool. It's just that we have Pokemon already in Smash and the idea of having two different game series with that many characters would just be overwhelming for the roster and potential future games. Could you imagine the trailers.

"So who do you think getting into smash this time?"

"Oh probably a Pokemon."

"Hey shhh its coming on."

"Oh man 3 Pokemon damn!!! Thats a lot of characters."

"Um... actually guys that's from the Yokai Watch series."

"Wait what!"

As the Direct draws to a close.

Sakarai/or his successor "Now before you go we have one last surprise. Take a look."

"Who are those two?! More Yokai Watch?"

"Nope they're from upcoming Gen 10 Pokemon."

"Weve already got 14 Pokemon reps on the roster. We got two more. What?!"

"Oh okay and Tails finally got in. Well at least we got that. Okay... okay... well finally man I never thought I'd see the day."

"You can have him... I finally got Rex and Pyra after 10 years of waiting so I'm good."

It's just that I saw a Glimpse of that Japanese Nintendo twitter post and saw that Yokai for smash thing and was like I hope that's not a thing this time around. No offense to the Yokai Watch Series or its fans, but we have quite a few Pokemon already so no room for you in smash.

JK if any of you like that series I mean no offense i'd be happy for you guys if a character got in. as long as Isaac and Geno are in first.

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
What would be your reactions if Golden Sun gets a new game somehow but it begins going down the FE:F/FE:H route of fanservice-y fanservice?
So long as it's not ridiculously in your face or come at the expense of characters and their stories, I honestly wouldn't care. I've never been one to get up in arms about that sort of stuff. I mean heck. My favorite game on the Switch right now is Xenoblade 2, the borderline poster child of "bad fan-service." Even in that game. It never really came at the expense of characters identities so it never bothered me. Maybe i'm weird.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Shadows of Valentia and 3 Houses have toned down the fanservice significantly, Heroes represents a very special thing for Fire Emblem.

It essentially a spinoff swhere all the gameplay and story is watered down in order for waifu stuff. With the cash that is taking in, fire emblems mainline projects no longer need one dimensional characters and can go back to fun characters.

That being I wouldn't mind as long as it didnt impact the writing. In Awakening and Fates. It did, because the fanservice was as brought to the foreground by having children and shipping mechanics that forced time travel and warping into the writing and less time spent on developing none 1 note characters

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I survived Fates so... I think as Q-Long Q-Long pointed, FE had that but they are finally toning it down, as long as we get a chance for the series, I don't mind if they have to experiment a little bit to find whatever middle ground the need between writing and fan service. Awakening had a ton of fan service (not as thrown at ya as Fates, though) And it went well

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don’t think it’d happen. Like, maybe Fates, but Heroes level of pandering is just to manipulate players into spending money/sticking to playing ****ty mobile games.

Still, as far as video game writing goes, Fates is really poor, I don’t imagine the Takahashi brothers signing off on a project of that caliber. Plus there’s no avatar to pander to, so it’s tough to get that bad when you have actual characters.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Yeah, I like the concept of heroes, awesome crossover action, but the gameplay is so watered down, there is a lack of crossover dialogue interaction, and a meh story campaign just make it boil down to a character collector that I'm surprised is still doing so good.

I guess it's cool to see dead characters revived though

Also for fanservice, give me shirtless alex :b

Anyways I guess I wouldn't mind if the summons were fanservice, because alot of myths and legends are well... fanservicy. Like as a kid I always crushed on megaera.

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
I think if they are going to do a FE cross over game do it right. FE warriors was on to something, but it was to much of a knock off and not a creative idea. I would much preferred if they followed the Bladestorm model rather than Dynasty Warriors. At least then the game could have interesting strategy.

As for Golden sun being like that fan service stuff. I doubt it would work the same. For one thing the amount of Important characters in GS are just to few compared to FE, and that has never be the focus of the game. GS has been totally story driven from day one. Like Fire emblem used to be. Now however we have FE games that don't focus on story development, but instead is all about unnecessary content. I mean if i want to find content like that not to say i do or will, but come on this is the internet... enough said. And to add to that the game should have more content centered on how should I put this... Well...THE GAME!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The thing with Golden Sun is that you don’t have to go all crossover craziness to do fanservice. All the characters we know and love are in the same universe, most of them know each other. There’s no need for a summoning great heroes like in FE Heroes/Warriors/Dissidia. Just write a good story, with good characters, then make us want them to clash with each other and deliver in unexpected and exciting ways. Game of Thrones does it, Infinity War does it, it can certainly be done.

Having Old Man Isaac and his crew act like the badasses they are would be a good start.

(Then again, as an Ace Attorney fan, I acknowledge the storytelling trappings behind giving fans what they want with no regard to drama or storytelling potential)

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Yeah, I like the concept of heroes, awesome crossover action, but the gameplay is so watered down, there is a lack of crossover dialogue interaction, and a meh story campaign just make it boil down to a character collector that I'm surprised is still doing so good.

I guess it's cool to see dead characters revived though

Also for fanservice, give me shirtless alex :b

Anyways I guess I wouldn't mind if the summons were fanservice, because alot of myths and legends are well... fanservicy. Like as a kid I always crushed on megaera.
Partially it’s successful because Heroes has made some very strong evolutions to the series gameplay.

People say the combat is “watered down”, but I’m guessing those people haven’t played much of it. Some of the meta game is. But the customization and character building is actually mostly improved. They’re not just pumping out new fanservice units. They’re constantly pumping out new abilities that change fundamental matchups and team dynamics.

The fanservice and gambling are huge in it. But make no mistake, they’re also rushing through just as many fast paced changes to how units function. Not all of these experiments are successful. But there are definitely some I’d like to see come to the mainline games.

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
But with Ace Attorney it works more. FE just gets strange.

What would you all think about a Golden Sun Prequel game that is about the origin of Weyard? How Sol Sanctum came to be with the elemental stars, the light houses construction,and maybe more about the great wise one who is just this OP character that didn't get much screen time.

Last edited:

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
Partially it’s successful because Heroes has made some very strong evolutions to the series gameplay.

People say the combat is “watered down”, but I’m guessing those people haven’t played much of it. Some of the meta game is. But the customization and character building is actually mostly improved. They’re not just pumping out new fanservice units. They’re constantly pumping out new abilities that change fundamental matchups and team dynamics.

The fanservice and gambling are huge in it. But make no mistake, they’re also rushing through just as many fast paced changes to how units function. Not all of these experiments are successful. But there are definitely some I’d like to see come to the mainline games.
I played it for a few months, but put it down after awhile. I still never got **** Hector, but whatever. I haven't played it in about 6 months I guess I could take a look at it again just to see the changes. I got tired of the battle animations and the sprites. I personally think if they went back to a cleaned up version of the GBA sprites it would be much better. Those animations never got boring.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
I played it for a few months, but put it down after awhile. I still never got **** Hector, but whatever. I haven't played it in about 6 months I guess I could take a look at it again just to see the changes. I got tired of the battle animations and the sprites. I personally think if they went back to a cleaned up version of the GBA sprites it would be much better. Those animations never got boring.
You can get a free Hector Now btw.

Top Bottom