• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
That one is simple. Yes he has range, but his grab space is gaped. He can grab from a distance, but not up close. Perfect spacing would likely be required to make the best of his grabs.

So it's like How Marth does his grabs. :p but without up close grabs. Got it.

Though, not having up-close range with grab might peg him down a tier or two. Oh well. :p

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
So it's like How Marth does his grabs. :p but without up close grabs. Got it.

Though, not having up-close range with grab might peg him down a tier or two. Oh well. :p
Not being able to grab up close would be detrimental in competitive play, lmfao. One misgrab and you have Bayo-Mayo on your face.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Not being able to grab up close would be detrimental in competitive play, lmfao. One misgrab and you have Bayo-Mayo on your face.
Yeah, to me, this might be a bit biased, but I think I would nerf the range, but at least keep it as far as how Yoshi goes with his grabs. That way most players won't call him a trash tier character. ^^

*i know it's inaccurate to the source material, but there are a lot of things in Smash that are inaccurate. XP*

Alternatively, treat it like a tether grab and make it easy to punish if it misses.
I actually have a cool idea. What if he DOES have the range of Melee Marth, but since his hand can be physically seen, one could be able to counter based on how far away it is from Isaac.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In terms of moveset I prefer Isaac being Earth-based with hand psynergy as well. A couple of hand psynergy in his main attacks, but I'd like his grab to be "Catch" and all of his throws are hand psynergy as well. Catch could also be a tether, but not a very long range one.

We don't have an Earth-based moveset in Smash, so this is the best way to make him stand out. Some other types can be incorporated if needed to fill in gaps, but focusing on Earth is the best way to maintain that uniqueness factor.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
You know, I'm kind of curious: Would Isaac use the Sol Blade for his main weapon or could we see him use an axe? I know the Sol Blade was on his model in Smash, but I think he'd have so much more potential if he wielded an axe.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I actually have a cool idea. What if he DOES have the range of Melee Marth, but since his hand can Ben physically seen, one could be able to counter based on how far away it is from Isaac.
He could have an entirely unique grab... the only one in the game that is a projectile. It starts directly in front of him (close range) but travels forward across the stage for a short- to mid-range grab. Maybe Melee Marth sized, maybe slightly bigger. The downside is that if he tries to grab you from afar, he's left vulnerable and unable to move while the projectile is still out, so if you dodge it, he's incredibly open to attack. It moves fast so as to not leave him open too long, but moves far enough that if you jump over it, he's open. This way, he can still use it at close-range and out of shield without too much risk.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
He could have an entirely unique grab... the only one in the game that is a projectile. It starts directly in front of him (close range) but travels forward across the stage for a short- to mid-range grab. Maybe Melee Marth sized, maybe slightly bigger. The downside is that if he tries to grab you from afar, he's left vulnerable and unable to move while the projectile is still out, so if you dodge it, he's incredibly open to attack. It moves fast so as to not leave him open too long, but moves far enough that if you jump over it, he's open.

That's a really ****ing good idea. I believe that in the GS universe, using up too much energy will leave you exhausted. That would PERFECTLY represent MOVE and Psynergy. :)

Confirmation

Smash Ace
You know, I'm kind of curious: Would Isaac use the Sol Blade for his main weapon or could we see him use an axe? I know the Sol Blade was on his model in Smash, but I think he'd have so much more potential if he wielded an axe.
Depends on Megiddo, if it's the Final Smash you just know it's gonna be Sol.

Thermis Axe would be super cool though.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

I feel like Felix would use Megiddo. Not Isaac.

But since Isaac has a blade on most of his official art, I don't think Sakurai would think about giving him an axe. (As much as I would like that to happen.)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
In terms of moveset I prefer Isaac being Earth-based with hand psynergy as well. A couple of hand psynergy in his main attacks, but I'd like his grab to be "Catch" and all of his throws are hand psynergy as well. Catch could also be a tether, but not a very long range one.

We don't have an Earth-based moveset in Smash, so this is the best way to make him stand out. Some other types can be incorporated if needed to fill in gaps, but focusing on Earth is the best way to maintain that uniqueness factor.
I agree with this.

The main two things I'm looking for an Isaac moveset, so that it feels like Isaac is his Earth based psynergy and also his hand psynergy.

I would worry that having all four elements would make things too complicated (and make it feel like they were trying to stuff all of Golden Sun into him rather than just letting him be him) and also make him stand out less. He already has so much to make him unique just using his earth psynergy.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
So whats this Karatoe Joe stuff that's gotten GameFAQs all wild? It's not the debunked leak, is it?

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I would like to see Isaac use at least a weapon unleash, because I think is one of the most memorable aspects of Golden Sun, together with the Djinns(and summon) and the Psyenergy

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I've seen people want isaac to be as unique of a fighter as possible, while others want Golden Sun to be represented as much as possible within a characters moveset.

I can see both sides on this stance, but im not sure which one is more likely.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター

From my research, the axe would be very interesting especially if they gave its unleash effect to the wielder. Heck, why not have Isaac use his own weapon with its own unleash effect and Felix uses the Themis Axe with Stone Justice? That could be their main difference if Felix were an echo.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’d rather Isaac be the new Ganondorf, in that he has a weapon but doesn’t use it. He definitely doesn’t need to wield an axe to be unique, and I can’t see Sakurai going down that road to represent Isaac.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I only see two options honestly. A generic sword from the artwork or one of the more distinguishable swords from the game.

Gaia Blade or Sol Blade could look incredibly different than they do in the games since Sakurai generally likes to modernize and update designs to fit the Smash aesthetic. So there is a chance they could ultimately look a lot better than the source material.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I’d rather Isaac be the new Ganondorf, in that he has a weapon but doesn’t use it. He definitely doesn’t need to wield an axe to be unique, and I can’t see Sakurai going down that road to represent Isaac.
I wouldn't mind that but it's probably unlikely.

He'll probably use his sword for his basic attacks at least. If Sakurai incorporates a weapon unleash mechanic it might still be interesting though.

I'd like if his sword was kept solely to his most basic of attacks (not smash or special attacks) and sometimes those attacks would create a weapon unleash. I'm not sure how well that would work though.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Even Robin uses a sword, it would be a bit strange to see Isaac not use some sort of melee weapon at all
I think people are worried that his sword would take up too much of his moveset. That's not what makes Isaac unique....and really it would do a bad job of representing Golden Sun if Isaacs moveset was full of sword attacks. (since Psynergy is such an important aspect of the franchise)

To be fair though this is Sakurai we're talking about. I trust him to represent Isaac and Golden Sun properly.

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I think he can use his weapon in his tilts and some aerials, and Smashes together with Djinns (because he hit people with flint but together with the sword)

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I think people are worried that his sword would take up too much of his moveset. That's not what makes Isaac unique....and really it would do a bad job of representing Golden Sun if Isaacs moveset was full of sword attacks. (since Psynergy is such an important aspect of the franchise)

To be fair though this is Sakurai we're talking about. I trust him to represent Isaac and Golden Sun properly.
Yep. Robin uses his sword more than Isaac does in his game. Isaac doesn’t really rely on his sword a lot unless it’s one with greater unleash potential, which would still make him more unique than other swordsmen.

Q-Long

Smash Lord

What would they make his physical attacks?

He isnt Megaman and or a trained martial artist like Ryu or Snake. And an element of his games is a limited PP pool.

For me I always thought smash attacks were djinn release (like Flint or Sap) and his special moves were Psyenergy. While his normal moves are sword strikes

It would be possible to make some psyenergy into normal moves but I'm not entirely sure what.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Yep. Robin uses his sword more than Isaac does in his game. Isaac doesn’t really rely on his sword a lot unless it’s one with greater unleash potential, which would still make him more unique than other swordsmen.
Maybe he could use it on Smashes, since I think that would be Djinn or Weapon Unleash based, and maybe some aerials since Isaac don't have a lot of air moves (he can use planet diver as a Down-air but after this I don't know)

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Wow, the Direct delay really killed the hype. Not only has this thread slowed to a crawl, but in general I feel like I'm just so ehhhh towards Smash right now. When they finally reveal the new direct date, I'm sure the Hype Train will be heading full speed ahead, but it certainly got derailed on September 6th.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Of I could choose, I'd have Isaac use his sword only for things like tilts and jabs. Smash attacks would use field (hand) psynergy at a distance (think Bayo) and so would grabs and throes. And specials would use elemental energy (I think mainly Earth based to make him more unique).

Djinn can be part of specials or taunts. :grin:

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
On a side note I think monster hunter will be playable at some point, maybe it's just me, of course the most iconic part of the series is the monsters so maybe not

tveye

Smash Journeyman
So there’s an interesting new leak on 4chan. It’s probably fake but it has the same Rhythym Heaven logo from the Karate Joe leak. I’d be pretty happy if this was real.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Guys, today a shop would have access to Smash Ultimate demo right? Best-Buy or something, can anyone check that?

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
I've seen this subject pop up on this thread here and there. Isaac doesn't need to use a sword or an axe to fight sure, but I feel him not using a weapon of some sort wouldn't really represent golden sun entirely. I see many people saying they want to see psnergy, djinn and summons and ignore artifact weapons entirely. I understand people don't want him to be labeled as "another sword user" but ignoring one aspect of Golden Sun's fight system to appeal to those people is not a great reason.
If Isaac did not have a sword in his trophy in brawl I would have never looked up Golden Sun, and I definitely wouldn't be on this thread if I never looked up Golden Sun. Him using a sword is kinda important to me even though i'm in the minority of Isaac supporters. Personally I want to see him use an artifact weapon (Gaia blade, Excalibur, or the Sol blade) in combination with psnergy, and djinn with a summon final smash. I feel that best represents the series, and still makes him more than "just a sword user". To each their own though.

Chrono.

So there’s an interesting new leak on 4chan. It’s probably fake but it has the same Rhythym Heaven logo from the Karate Joe leak. I’d be pretty happy if this was real.
Golispod is taken straight from Citra.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It seems way too good to be true. There's another picture that comes with this one that had icons for Banjo Kazooie and Super Mario RPG.

Plus I find it kind of suspicious that the Pokemon newcomer just happens to be the one half obscured. (and the angle just screams fake leak to me somehow...)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
It seems way too good to be true. There's another picture that comes with this one that had icons for Banjo Kazooie and Super Mario RPG.

Plus I find it kind of suspicious that the Pokemon newcomer just happens to be the one half obscured. (and the angle just screams fake leak to me somehow...)
Remember. It aint a "leak" unless it is titled.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Gotta be honest, that Golisopod looks wayyyy too similar to his in-game render when using shaders that remove the black lines. As much as I'd love for him to be playable in Smash, I'm just not seeing it here.

Case in point (from the thumbnail of one of SixftHax's videos to credit):

Shiny Golisopod.jpg

Last edited:

tveye

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, I don’t doubt it’s fake. He posted screens on Chibi Robo’s and Isaac’s splash screens, but didn’t show the characters at all either.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Oh hey. The golden sun logo is right there.

At least there are more leaks. (Even if it's fake leaks.)

Wow, the Direct delay really killed the hype. Not only has this thread slowed to a crawl, but in general I feel like I'm just so ehhhh towards Smash right now. When they finally reveal the new direct date, I'm sure the Hype Train will be heading full speed ahead, but it certainly got derailed on September 6th.
Same here. Could they just announce new date already?

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Well, what makes this fake is the ordering of the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon: if it's ordered by fighter number (which it probably is meant to be), Squirtle is first, then Ivysaur, then Charizard. (Not to mention Lucario should go between Pokemon Trainer and Greninja, but I assume it's just not unlocked yet).

Top Bottom