• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not some moral arbiter and I carry no power or intention to put a moratorium on any facet of conversation, but I have enough faith in the judgment of the people here to know what's in good taste to say and what isn't.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If there's an actual earthquake in Isaac's trailer, they'll probably cut the trailer. Now that it's delayed, swap it with another, sit on Isaac til later.

However, I find that all quite unlikely. It's likely just due to the country having bigger things to focus on atm.
I've brought this up before, but a lot of stuff in this game revolves completely around reveal order. Simply swapping a trailer out isn't actually that simple. They have to change a lot of things in game to do that. Not to mention that far more people would be aware of a recent character because Sakurai had to have people record that footage, making it more likely that the information could get leaked if not revealed quickly.

The fact that they have never delayed a Direct before as far as I'm aware is... interesting, to say the least. But I don't necessarily think it means anything more than there's a lot of people without power right now, and I think in the past Directs that happened "near" to a specific event were still some time after said events anyway.

Iwata's death I'm sure caused the cancellation of a planned but unreleased and unannounced Direct.

I believe the Direct was scheduled for the 7th in Europe regardless, no? Timezones I think
Yeah it was midnight at certain parts of Europe. I know I heard that much. I'm sure this is probably about a week delay.

SlyRocko

Smash Rookie
My condolences go out to all the people affected by the earthquake in Japan. While my hype may be strong, my sympathy is even stronger. I'd be fine to wait even a month until the direct as long as everyone is safe and happy again.

Also, the fact that the Direct is delayed doesn't put out a strong link to Isaac (although it would be tragically ironic if that was the case). They probably only delayed the stream only because the power in that affected region has shut down due to a generator being damaged, and Nintendo is courteous enough to wait for them to get back their power.

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
The Direct was actually stated for the 6th on NintendoUK's twitter so the date change in the new tweet is peculiar. With that said, I feel really strange talking about this when a tragedy like this happened. I certainly am wishing and praying for everyone impacted by this to get back on their feet as soon as possible. :/

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I've brought this up before, but a lot of stuff in this game revolves completely around reveal order. Simply swapping a trailer out isn't actually that simple. They have to change a lot of things in game to do that. Not to mention that far more people would be aware of a recent character because Sakurai had to have people record that footage, making it more likely that the information could get leaked if not revealed quickly.

The fact that they have never delayed a Direct before as far as I'm aware is... interesting, to say the least. But I don't necessarily think it means anything more than there's a lot of people without power right now, and I think in the past Directs that happened "near" to a specific event were still some time after said events anyway.

Iwata's death I'm sure caused the cancellation of a planned but unreleased and unannounced Direct.
I mean I do touch on that in my next post, saying I don't believe that to be the reason of the delay.

However, on the off chance the content did play into the delay, while I agree things are in a set order long in advance, these are not typical circumstances we're dealing with, and sometimes plans need to change. This would be as good an example as any. Nintendo is going to put the safety and respect of the country above the increased chance of things leaking and the possible need to alter content 100 times out of 100.

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
Don't feel bad, nothing you did was meant in disrespect, and nobody should mistake it for that.
I really hope no one sees it in that light because that really wasn't my intention. I was just taken aback by how quick people were to make a meme out of it. Then again...I shouldn't have been. People do it all the time over literally anything.
Anyway, I hope this doesn't end up becoming worse. I'll probably sleep now. I think that would help me not be stressed.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
...I feel awful now..
Don't worry about it bud. This is an unusual circumstance. We are all used to earthquakes and disasters in life but I don't think a Direct has ever been impacted by a natural disaster before. As a result, people are confused as to how to think. A good chunk of people are downright respecting the decision. Others are making jokes to lighten the mood. Then you have the memes and haters. We all cope in different ways

Me, I am buckling down on work. I even lost the motivation to play a video game this morning. I might play some at lunch. But for now I taking the day an hour at the time.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I believe the Direct was scheduled for the 7th in Europe regardless, no? Timezones I think
Maaybe?

Looks like they apparently changed the date. Though the the tweet clearly states "new date and time", so it's most likely meaningless anyway - after all it'd be pretty unsightly if they did just a "minor delay" over such major disaster.

On the other hand, it could turn out that Nintendo UK sort of copy-pasted this tweet from NintendoAmerica's Twitter and slapped it together with this unconfirmed new date. We better just wait and see.

But it's interesting to note how the former one stated 23:00 UK Time at 06.09, which kind of implies it would have happened technically that date, as opposed to next countries having it midnight 07.09... like me.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It took me a sec to realize how bad this could be. An earthquake here goes unnoticed unless you’re on an upper floor, where you might feel the shakes. You might lose power if you’re very unlucky. Hard to realize people were probably hurt.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
It's nice to see all of us respecting their decision. You know whenever the Direct arrives it will be all the better because not only will it be worth the wait but also because it is now blessed with the decency of humanity.

For me, they could announce Amiibo Festival 2 and I'd still find the Direct great as a result of all the people being good hearted about the delay

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
For me, they could announce Amiibo Festival 2 and I'd still find the Direct great as a result of all the people being good hearted about the delay
Could have been a great game if it had been on the scale of mario party. But you shouldn't give them such scary sequel ideas !

Last edited:

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Man, this is a weird feeling...
I can't help but feel sad for all the people who is going through with that over there. It's also pretty upsetting
to hear about the delay, but it is perfectly understandable. They made the right call. Hopefully things get better
for the people living in Japan.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Just got the news of the direct. 6 pm, huh. I'm gonna miss it live. Gonna try and avoid spoilers and watch it when I get home. If Isaac's revealed, hopefully I can dodge the news and find an upload. Of course, must prepare for any epic letdowns too, but hope is super strong right now. C'mon, Isaac! Let out a howl!
If they have any smash info that part goes straight to the smash site. It shouldn't have any spoilers and a link for the video should be on the main page. It is alot easier to avoid spoilers that way.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So do you think the direct was delayed because of Isaac? I wouldn't really be right revealing a character who cause earthquakes right after an earthquake.
This did occur to me.

Feels kinda bad to be using a natural disaster that has claimed lives to speculate on a character getting into Smash though.

I guess it is possible though.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think the direct was delayed to accomodate Hokkaido's power outage moreso than anything they showed in it.

I mean it's possible that Isaac (and Skull Kid) were the character(s) to be revealed, and that would be hugely ironic...

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
The last few years have been super rough on a lotta places. Sorta makes you wonder, huh.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Ooooh so sad news! As chilean I know how terrible earthquakes can be, really hope Japanese people can be ok

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Guys, today has been treating me well so far. I can feel it, we'll get Isaac announced as playable in today's Direct to top off the day!

Maybe even with some Golden Sun remake news :D

Edit:

Oh, just read about the earthquake and the Direct delay. I wish them the best of luck and hope there weren't any casualties. Hopefully they recover from this disaster without many problems.

Isaac's reveal can wait a bit longer.

Last edited:

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
I woke up to see some crazy conspiracy of how Isaac was in the direct and that is why they did not air it.

I highly doubt that. People don't have power, lives have been lost, and Japan is cleaning up what happened.

Let us not turn into the Alex Joans of the Smash Community.

The direct was delayed due to a major earthquake, that is all.

D

Deleted member

Well, for those of us who are actually on gamefaqs as well, we have said that it's not like Isaac support isn't there. It's actually there in boatloads. But while that is true, there are also a fair amount of people who are detractors, haters and contrarians. Most of the Isaac supporters will only react to and get a rise out of threads or posts that seem at least halfway serious on their claims or if they're fairly new to the boards and don't know how much vitriol it actually gets.

Effectively, most have learned to ignore it in a large part. That having been said, in a poll like this where it has characters that no one asked for and many don't like, Isaac will get overlooked since you can only vote once. Not surprising Incineroar got a lot of initial votes considering that Sun/Moon was a relatively weak Pokemon generation and not a particularly notable one for design. I don't really like it either, personally. And this is coming from a longstanding Pokemon fan.
The only idea from the generation that id support is if Lusamine is playable or a boss in her Mother Beast form because that was actually very innovative for the franchise.

However, that's highly unlikely.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
I'm shocked at how many people have played SMRPG. I like Geno, but the game has not aged well.

The setting and characters have so much potential though.

Also Doom Guy and Sans? Did not expect so many votes for em
You have to admit though, from a fighting game point of view Doom Marine/Guy/Slayer as the demons call him, makes alot more sense then some of the other ones on the list.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I woke up to see some crazy conspiracy of how Isaac was in the direct and that is why they did not air it.

I highly doubt that. People don't have power, lives have been lost, and Japan is cleaning up what happened.

I don't think those necessarily saying the delay was cause of Isaac is solely just Isaac supporters but it was inevitable that the idea would be brought up in some capacity.

The earthquake is heart shattering news to wake up to. My condolences goes out to those in Japan.

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace

Could still be one more reason, I remember that they cut an entire cutscene in Final fantasy XII in its japanese version because of it being to similar to crimes that were occuring in japan at the time of release. I think they're more careful about respecting their audience sensibility in such hard times than we think.

Let's say the odds are that in the trailer Isaac uses some kind of earth bending, I can see how inappropriate it would be. And of course they have more important matter than Smash atm.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Could still be one more reason, I remember that they cut an entire cutscene in Final fantasy XII in its japanese version because of it being to similar to crimes that were occuring in japan at the time of release. I think they're more careful about respecting their audience sensibility in such hard times than we think.

Let's say the odds are that in the trailer Isaac uses some kind of earth bending, I can see how inappropriate it would be. And of course they have more important matter than Smash atm.
Are we expecting a censored version of the Isaac trailer (if there is one) in Japan then?

Confirmation

Smash Ace
My condolences to all impacted by the event, it's really a tragedy that some lives were lost.

And yeah, let's not turn into THOSE guys over this.

Q-Long

Smash Lord

Yeah it's quite possible sadly. Advance Wars, which was supposed to be released on 9-11-01 was delayed for a yr for Europe and delayed 3 years in Japan despite being JP made. It heavily damaged the franchise in JP.

Metal Gear Solid 2 removed an entire sequence as well as it involved a massive Metal Gear crashing into New York.

That being said delaying the direct is most likely being done out of respect for what is happening right now in Japan.

But it is possible if he was supposed to be shown today, he would be moved to a later date.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I look at it this way; the main reason is obviously because a direct is not important to focus on.

If Isaac did use quake-based Psynergy, it's just something they took into account when looking at the delay, and at best would give them a strong date to delay it to at best. I doubt it'll be outright ignored as a factor, but it's clearly not the reason for the delay regardless. Another thing is that if they want to wait a bit longer for a smaller Smash direct, they could do so to keep the character order intact while also showing a lot of sensitivity to the situation. The character order overall is something that won't be ignored regardless(as it's very important to this game's design), and completely redoing a trailer is a lot more difficult than one would think(cutscene cgi takes a lot of time to make).

Don't look into this as me thinking the whole Smash direct thing is more important. It's not. I'm saying these factors do exist and have a reasonable chance to be taken into account when it comes to how the Nintendo direct itself will go.

Onassi2

Smash Cadet
I look at it this way; the main reason is obviously because a direct is not important to focus on.

If Isaac did use quake-based Psynergy, it's just something they took into account when looking at the delay, and at best would give them a strong date to delay it to at best. I doubt it'll be outright ignored as a factor, but it's clearly not the reason for the delay regardless. Another thing is that if they want to wait a bit longer for a smaller Smash direct, they could do so to keep the character order intact while also showing a lot of sensitivity to the situation. The character order overall is something that won't be ignored regardless(as it's very important to this game's design), and completely redoing a trailer is a lot more difficult than one would think(cutscene cgi takes a lot of time to make).

Don't look into this as me thinking the whole Smash direct thing is more important. It's not. I'm saying these factors do exist and have a reasonable chance to be taken into account when it comes to how the Nintendo direct itself will go.
Agreed with all this. I don’t believe the direct was delayed due to Isaac’s presence and bad timing, but if he’s next then it’s something they need to consider.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
We did it guys!

He won't be shown when this direct airs tho, more near the games release probably.

Top Bottom