• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Isaac is being re-rated in the RTC thread today! Go on and vouch for the Golden Boy.
I'm a huge Isaac supporter, but I expect people will still agree with me that his chances are pretty low. I do think he might be higher than last time though; the revelation of the project plan being from late 2015 and the fact that this game seems to be using fan demand a good bit makes me think that he's a bit more likely than I previously thought.

I would support in the RTC thread, but those types of threads usually just make me feel worse about the chances of every character in general.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I suspect Isaac didn't get a Mii costume because they didn't have assets to re-use.

iirc the only Nintendo character that got entirely new assets for the costume was K. Rool.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'm a huge Isaac supporter, but I expect people will still agree with me that his chances are pretty low. I do think he might be higher than last time though; the revelation of the project plan being from late 2015 and the fact that this game seems to be using fan demand a good bit makes me think that he's a bit more likely than I previously thought.

I would support in the RTC thread, but those types of threads usually just make me feel worse about the chances of every character in general.
I myself think he's less likely than more likely, but his chances are probably the strongest they've been since Brawl. If I had to put a number on it... 33% chance? Sure, that may seem high. People always have their expectations tempered for every possible newcomer when there's a lot of stiff competition this time around, but there have to be some that are higher than 50% because obviously somebody has to get in the game.

I don't visit the thread myself, but it's nice to make those who do aware of what's happening today.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I get the feeling that the Rate Their Chances thread tomorrow is going to be very painful to watch. I'm sensing a lot of low predictions for our Golden Boy on the horizon.
Then don't watch it? I mean it's not like anything anyone says now will help or hinder any characters chances. If Ridley is anything to go by, you shouldn't be putting much stock in what people think is unlikely anyway.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Then don't watch it? I mean it's not like anything anyone says now will help or hinder any characters chances. If Ridley is anything to go by, you shouldn't be putting much stock in what people think is unlikely anyway.
I know, I know, it's just I'd like to see how people from different groups interpret Isaac, no matter how good or bad it could be. I consider it part of my experience on Smashboards, so to speak.

I did leave my own rate there with my thoughts and I'm hoping we're setting ourselves up for good news.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Alright, it's a bit later than I expected but here's the moveset I said I was itching to make. Djinn are actually not utilized in this moveset because I'd figure they could make a great item (see at the end of this post for details) and wouldn't overcomplicate Isaac's playstyle. I still believe there's a way to work them in, but it might have to be at the sacrifice of showcasing him as the Venus Adept he is. If there are any questions/suggestions, or people want to see me cover poses, victory theme, etc., then let me know. I'm not a big fan of making movesets but I wanted to make an exception for Isaac.

Normals:

Jab = Isaac uses his Gaia Blade to swing ahead in every cardinal direction as part of a four-hit jab combo.
F-tilt = Isaac lunges forward with the Gaia Blade in a fencing-like motion.
D-tilt = Isaac crouches to a knee and sweeps horizontally with the Gaia Blade. Can trip the opponent.
U-tilt = Isaac arches the Gaia Blade over his head in a motion similar to his casting animation in GS.
Dash attack = Isaac leaps forward and swipes down with the Gaia Blade, identical to his animation for attacking with a sword in GS.

Smash attacks:

F-smash = Ragnarok/Odyssey: = Isaac casts the disjointed orange blade Ragnarok that is slow but powerful and large. If given the opportunity to charge for a few seconds, it becomes the stronger and larger yellow Odyssey blade which is a near guaranteed KO at any percent.
D-smash = Gaia series: Isaac casts Gaia to open a small hole in the earth in front of him. If an opponent is in the center of the hole, they will be under the buried effect and are open to a follow-up attack. If they are on the edges of the hitbox where the rocks appear and fall, they will only be knocked back a small distance.
U-smash = Growth series: Three spiky vines shoot up to the height of Isaac's head and pierce opponents to send them flying up.

With both d-smash and u-smash, their stronger and more numerous variants will be cast instead if charged for one second (Mother Gaia/Mad Growth) and two or more seconds (Grand Gaia/Wild Growth)

Aerials:

If Isaac holds the jump button down after his double jump, a glowing light appears beneath his feet and he can hover in the air for a brief moment.

N-air = Sabre Dance: Swords encase Isaac on all sides and frantically spin around him. Knockback is dependent on the angle of the sword that hits the opponent, and if timed right, can launch them into another sword as a combo.
F-air = Condemn: Isaac summons a grim reaper to slice at the opponent with its scythe. Obviously does not retain its potential instant-kill effect.
D-air = Spire: A stalactite is summoned from in front of and above Isaac's head. Spikes if it connects with an opponent in the middle of the hitbox. Sourspot on the sides knocks them away horizontally instead.
U-air = Punji: A stalk of bamboo forms in front of and beneath Isaac's body to rise to a certain height above Isaac's head. If this attack hits an opponent before the stalk is finished growing, it will "drag" them upward and deal additional damage before sending them flying when the stalk is complete.
B-air = Isaac whips around and makes two quick swipes with the Gaia Blade that connect into each other.

Specials:
N-special = Move: Isaac sends his Psynergy hand forward with the same functionality as Brawl except the hand will disappear after a couple of seconds for balancing purposes.
S-special = Fear Puppet: A large skull shoots out in front of Isaac in an arching motion. If it connects with an opponent, they will be paralyzed for a brief moment and left open for a follow-up attack excluding this same move.
D-special = Call: A random monster (Dinox, Roc, Minotaur, Red Demon) will appear and perform their respective standard attacks on the opponent. The Red Demon is the rarest to appear as it will immediately place them into rage (120%) if its attack connects.
U-special = Teleport: Isaac disappears in a burst of orbs to reappear in whichever direction the stick is held. Unlike Mewtwo's teleport, the animation is slower but the orbs will cause nearby opponents to flinch which serves as a means of protecting Isaac during the start of the move.
Final Smash = Judgment: Just as it functions in Golden Sun. Covers the entire screen and will only not kill at very low percents.

Grabs/Throws:

Grab = Isaac summons his giant Psynergy hand to grab the opponent. Disjointed.
Pummel = Isaac's Psynergy hand will squeeze the opponent tightly for damage.
F-throw = Force: Isaac's Psynergy hand flings the opponent forward and follows it up with a strong punch.
D-throw = Pound: Isaac's Psynergy hand flings the opponent up and then balls into a fist to slam the opponent into the ground. Untechable.
U-throw = Carry: Isaac summons a second hand to help carry the opponent on both sides, then both hands lift them up and catapult them skyward.
B-throw = Tremor: Isaac's Psynergy hand violently shakes the opponent back and forth before flinging them behind him.

Djinn:

All of these attacks replace jab/neutral air and neutral special in reference to how the Djinn change classes upon activation. There is a 4 second cool-down period on each attack to avoid spam. The stat buffs and item as a whole will last for 20 seconds. Which element Djinn appears is completely random.

Venus = The user's damage output will be 60% stronger. Four spiky vines jut out in all directions around the user's body when they press the A button and the user will throw a large rock projectile when they press the B button.
Mars = Attacks to the user will deal 25% less damage. The user will have an explosive hitbox surround them when they press the A button and they will throw a fiery wall as a projectile when they press the B button.
Jupiter = Grants a 40% speed boost to the user. Jump height, walk speed, run speed, and air speed are all affected by this buff. The user has four large lightning bolts surround their body on all sides that cause the paralysis effect when they press the A button. The user throws a large tornado which spins the opponent around inside and flings them up when they press the B button. Similar to the Hyrule Castle 64 tornado.
Mercury = 15% of the user's damage percentage is healed every 5 seconds for the duration of the item. Four ice shards surround the user on all sides when they press the A button, and the tip of the shard will freeze the opponent. When the user presses the B button, a large watery bubble is thrown which can trap opponents inside for a second.

D

Deleted member

COMIC OF THE DAY.

Tolbi Corn, the Snack of Champions.

and with that, we have gone through the comics of Emi, tune in next time for the next artist: MIKABE SESUNA.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I made this last night for general practice, but also because I've wanted Issac in Smash since Brawl. You guys are free to use this in your sigs if you want, just credit me if anyone asks.

Issac (Very Small).png

Zuppo

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3593-0420-8915
Isaac fans are all around the world, for exemple, i’m italian

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I won't lie though, it'd be so satisfying if he does get confirmed as it would prove all the naysayers who said he had no shot to get in wrong. It'd be cathartic as heck.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Oh man, that looks beautiful. Lighten up the hair ever so slightly and it'd be perfect 0.0

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
This day is so frustrating. No one is even remotely thinking about Isaac's merits they just write him of and don't even try to think critically.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
This day is so frustrating. No one is even remotely thinking about Isaac's merits they just write him of and don't even try to think critically.
Meanwhile, people declare Geno a dead cert because Sakurai likes him, without even thinking about how Square might think of their bigger games being shafted for a side character in a Mario game.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
It's tough to read, but I try to remember that Smashboards isn't everything and they've been hella wrong before. Bayonetta, from what I've been hearing, was apparently not getting in according to the Boards, then she went and won the ballot, so it ain't gospel what we hear.

The only thing that grates me is when people either say Isaac's just another swordsman or that Golden Sun just isn't "interesting" enough. I mean, one of the best selling franchises on the GBA isn't interesting enough for a spot? That's the only thing that saddens me, though it is 2018.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's not like the GBA was known best for it's original stuff. Pokémon, Mario, those were the things casuals brought GBA for.

But yeah, screw those guys labelling Isaac a generic swordsman.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
On an unrelated note, my Isaac for Smash Bros Ultimate video's been getting tweeted by a few people. Dunno if it's being seen past that, but 50 likes on the video shows that there's at least "some" people out there.

ThunderOverload

Smash Cadet
On an unrelated note, my Isaac for Smash Bros Ultimate video's been getting tweeted by a few people. Dunno if it's being seen past that, but 50 likes on the video shows that there's at least "some" people out there.
A lot of silent Isaac fans are out there.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It's tough to read, but I try to remember that Smashboards isn't everything and they've been hella wrong before. Bayonetta, from what I've been hearing, was apparently not getting in according to the Boards, then she went and won the ballot, so it ain't gospel what we hear.

The only thing that grates me is when people either say Isaac's just another swordsman or that Golden Sun just isn't "interesting" enough. I mean, one of the best selling franchises on the GBA isn't interesting enough for a spot? That's the only thing that saddens me, though it is 2018.
Like I don't even care that much about their opinions it's just so annoying that they won't even listen. Like what's the point of RTC if people are just going to post and then not read what the other side has to say.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
The only thing that grates me is when people either say Isaac's just another swordsman or that Golden Sun just isn't "interesting" enough.
I haven't visited the thread myself, but I really hope no one is actually using this argument in there. At least educate yourself on what the character actually does and avoid putting bias that isn't an argument like "uninteresting" before you post and lose all credibility. How about an argument that there are limited spots and Isaac's series is not relevant enough to make him one of the most highly voted characters?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I haven't visited the thread myself, but I really hope no one is actually using this argument in there. At least educate yourself on what the character actually does and avoid putting bias that isn't an argument like "uninteresting" before you post and lose all credibility. How about an argument that there are limited spots and Isaac's series is not relevant enough to make him one of the most highly voted characters?
You might want to stay away then. Not only are people using the ‘swordsman’ argument for low want, for low chance they’re saying things like ‘I don’t think Isaac is as popular as people say he is’.

Like, we runnin some kinda conspiracy now.

Edit: the downside to posting on a phone is autocorrect will write gibberish.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
You might want to stay away then. Not only are people using the ‘swordsman’ argument for low want, for low chance they’re saying things like ‘I don’t think Isaac is a strong popular as people say he is’.

Like, we runnin some kinda conspiracy now.
You mean they say that he isn't as popular as some believe? Nobody knows that for sure, so that isn't valid either without sneaking past Nintendo ninjas to get ballot results, but it's still actually a possible legitimate argument unlike "totally not unique because I see him with a sword" and "this game bores me so it's not interesting enough to be in".

D

Deleted member

Honestly, we aren't in July yet and there's already lots of butthurt, so people are taking their anger out on anything in a "share the pain" mentality.

Besides the obvious Waluigi situation, characters like Krystal, Knuckles, Takamaru and Bomberman (ATs), along with Proto Man & Mecha-Fiora (Final Smash) have already been dispelled, and that sliced off a sizable chunk of potential contenders, and with the elephant in the room actually making it, it's made them even more hostile to newcomers.

I still think he fibbed on the "not many newcomers" thing. Yes, bringing back everyone is a challenge, but with Echo Fighters, implementation of fighters won't be as difficult. It's just the unique fighters that will be the biggest constraint in development, and Isaac would be very unique.

I don't see him using all elements, but he could have a PP situation where the more powerful a move, the more taxing on his Psynergy Points. Pretty much every newcomer since 4 has had a unique gimmick that both helps and hinders them.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I would get one so fast I don't even care if it would cost an arm and a leg.
It would actually be the first one I buy two of just to have one that would be untouched, and one to use.

Then when they start making Golden Sun games on Switch, we'd get amiibo functionality. Though I wonder what it would be.

I'd also legitimately love amiibo for the classic Djinn designs. ...Or all the Djinn designs, even if it would be RIP my wallet.

And, yeah, RTC is a little terrible. I'm just wondering why there are people there who put his Want at 0%, just because of ridiculous reasons. The "just a swordsman"? Okay, they're a fool who didn't do their research (or play Brawl, 'cause the AT kind of disproves that). But "dead franchise"? Why don't you want a character just because their franchise is old? Metroid has had long hiatuses, why not get rid of it? And there are more and worse reasons out there too.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'd also legitimately love amiibo for the classic Djinn designs. ...Or all the Djinn designs, even if it would be RIP my wallet.
That's what I tell myself when they announce a lot of these amiibo lines. Just wait until they announce one for all the Adepts in normal poses and then they announce second variants where they're using their Psynergy. Suddenly you start to go back on the idea of getting a second of each to be mint in box.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Back again, gonna be a busy few couple of days coming up here so I might not be able to post for a while so I'm gonna lay out some thoughts. Bear with me here...

To jump off of what some people were saying here earlier, if you write off a character because their series is mostly dormant, you're purposefully restricting yourself and cutting out good ideas over a really poor reason. Maybe Sakurai and Nintendo see no reason to add a character with no relevance, because they worry players might not be so familiar with them or there's no money in them, but as a fan of Smash, I would never write off a character due to lack of relevance. There are tons of characters from dead series that could be highly interesting, and that's not even counting the retros. If characters from dead series are so bad, then why do people love Ness, Lucas, and Falcon so much? Why are those characters fan favorites, and one who was cut was so demanded back that he even returned as DLC? I'm sorry I just find that really frustrating when people say that irrelevant characters shouldn't be in Smash. It's a terrible way to go about being a Smash fan imo.

A lot of silent Isaac fans are out there.
Can confirm this from personal experience, also I have turned a number of people I know onto supporting Isaac irl and on other online spaces. Also some of us aren't active on places like here, I myself only started using this site a few months ago.

Meanwhile, people declare Geno a dead cert because Sakurai likes him, without even thinking about how Square might think of their bigger games being shafted for a side character in a Mario game.
"Sakurai likes them" doesn't fly as an argument anymore imo. I would love to see Geno, but Sakurai also liked Takamaru.

Yeah this is what I do now mostly. People said Daisy and Ridley would never happen...

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
To jump off of what some people were saying here earlier, if you write off a character because their series is mostly dormant, you're purposefully restricting yourself and cutting out good ideas over a really poor reason. Maybe Sakurai and Nintendo see no reason to add a character with no relevance, because they worry players might not be so familiar with them or there's no money in them, but as a fan of Smash, I would never write off a character due to lack of relevance. There are tons of characters from dead series that could be highly interesting, and that's not even counting the retros. If characters from dead series are so bad, then why do people love Ness, Lucas, and Falcon so much? Why are those characters fan favorites, and one who was cut was so demanded back that he even returned as DLC? I'm sorry I just find that really frustrating when people say that irrelevant characters shouldn't be in Smash. It's a terrible way to go about being a Smash fan imo.
On one hand, Sakurai never goes out of his way to add irrelevant characters as newcomers unless they're retros, and the only reason Ness/Lucas/Falcon/Roy/etc. are still in are because they're veterans who have a huge fanbase now.

And that's exactly why on the other hand, I can't understand why both he and fans feel the need to block newcomers that are already irrelevant. Any character will grow a fanbase when they enter Smash, so just because they're not immediately profitable, they shouldn't happen? Really, their newfound Smash popularity will make them profitable in the near future because people become interested in them, so really, shouldn't Sakurai and Nintendo be for adding in these characters?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
On one hand, Sakurai never goes out of his way to add irrelevant characters as newcomers unless they're retros, and the only reason Ness/Lucas/Falcon/Roy/etc. are still in are because they're veterans who have a huge fanbase now.

And that's exactly why on the other hand, I can't understand why both he and fans feel the need to block newcomers that are already irrelevant. Any character will grow a fanbase when they enter Smash, so just because they're not immediately profitable, they shouldn't happen? Really, their newfound Smash popularity will make them profitable in the near future because people become interested in them, so really, shouldn't Sakurai and Nintendo be for adding in these characters?
That might be changing now, if people expecting K. Rool, Chrom and Dark Samus are right.

Still, how crazy is it that K. Rool gets great scores because of his popularity despite his irrelevance, but when Isaac shows up people go ‘yeah, he’s popular, but not relevant 5%’?
(Just to clarify I love K. Rool, just pointing out hypocrisy)

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
That might be changing now, if people expecting K. Rool, Chrom and Dark Samus are right.

Still, how crazy is it that K. Rool gets great scores because of his popularity despite his irrelevance, but when Isaac shows up people go ‘yeah, he’s popular, but not relevant 5%’?
(Just to clarify I love K. Rool, just pointing out hypocrisy)
K. Rool's series is still active while Isaac's currently isn't. This leads to an objective group of people who think Rool is more likely because he has more people that are aware of who he is and thus, more popularity. Then there is the subjective group of people who like Rool more because of that fact. They've actually had the chance to play his series so they simply prefer him over Isaac.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
K. Rool's series is still active while Isaac's currently isn't. This leads to an objective group of people who think Rool is more likely because he has more people that are aware of who he is and thus, more popularity. Then there is the subjective group of people who like Rool more because of that fact. They've actually had the chance to play his series so they simply prefer him over Isaac.
But K. Rool hasn’t been in his series in a decade.

Top Bottom