• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Eagle

Smash Lord
Do you think we could have two reveals ? One at the beginning and one at the end ? Or rather one reveal and a few echoes ?
If Smash get's a small dedicated segment I'd expect an echo or more, possiblity a new character. Either way there'll definitely be a reveal at the very end.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I think the two characters with the strongest chances right now assuming the hints do mean something are Isaac and Skull Kid, Isaac because of the golden sun at the end of the trailer and the twitter shot and Skull Kid because of the direct setting and the moon announcement in the previous direct. Also both are popular and demanded enough for hype and fanservice.

However! If we don't get Isaac tomorrow it doesn't mean we are not getting him, I still believe there will be another Smash centered direct before the game launches.

Another ******* Fire Emblem character.
I am a Fire Emblem fan, the only reason I don't want any more FE reps is the hate it is causing to the series from Smash people that have never played the games, with that being said I do feel we will get another rep in this time around though I would prefer that to be a Three Houses rep for DLC. I do feel it would be better to get a more unique rep instead of an echo for sword lord, FE has so many classes and abilities they could choose from!

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
I’d honestly be OK with another FE character... as long as it’s not another Sword Lord. Just... come on. Fire Emblem has so much potential on the roster.

I actually had a thought last night about how neat it’d be if they made The Summoner a PC. Summoner being from the Mobile game. You’d have a variety of FE characters at your disposable kind of like a FE version of Pokemon Trainer. This would provide an interesting way to provide multiple styles (axes, lances, tones etc.) without bloating the roster. And also put some lesser known FE characters in the limelight. Specifically non MC characters. It was just a thought.
I juste want a mage. Micaiah would be perfect, and even in FE, light mage are pretty rare. Plus she's a beloved and well written character from Radiant Dawn. Soren would be cool, but I don't but that leak. Not interested in Celica though.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I
I juste want a mage. Micaiah would be perfect, and even in FE, light mage are pretty rare. Plus she's a beloved and well written character from Radiant Dawn. Soren would be cool, but I don't but that leak. Not interested in Celica though.
Like I mentioned before, the black knight would be the perfect echo for Ike.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
I am a Fire Emblem fan, the only reason I don't want any more FE reps is the hate it is causing to the series from Smash people that have never played the games, with that being said I do feel we will get another rep in this time around though I would prefer that to be a Three Houses rep for DLC. I do feel it would be better to get a more unique rep instead of an echo for sword lord, FE has so many classes and abilities they could choose from!

I feel that guilt too, worst part is a lot of Fire Emblem smash characters I don't even like there. (Chrom and Lucina)

It was pretty bad during Smash 4. :b

I could understand how Donkey Kong, Wario, F-Zero, Zelda, and Metroid fans were like "Wtf" at all FE and KI stuff. Of course I'm a fan of all series in Smash, so glad to see DK, Metroid, and Zelda have gotten more stuff.

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
Just started playing Golden Sun again recently. I don't think his chances to be in the Direct tomorrow are bad. ^^

Muirkat

Smash Apprentice
I feel that guilt too, worst part is a lot of Fire Emblem smash characters I don't even like there. (Chrom and Lucina)

It was pretty bad during Smash 4. :b

I could understand how Donkey Kong, Wario, F-Zero, Zelda, and Metroid fans were like "Wtf" at all FE and KI stuff. Of course I'm a fan of all series in Smash, so glad to see DK, Metroid, and Zelda have gotten more stuff.
Awakening is the only Fire Emblem game I've ever played, I actually really wanted Lucina in 4. I think it was a smart choice because there are a lot of gamers like me who got their introduction into Fire Emblem through Awakening.

But as far as I can tell, NOBODY wanted Corrin.

tveye

Smash Journeyman
If there really are no new stages, it'd be really awesome if all the Golden Sun songs were added to Midgar. That way you could have a stage that normally only has two songs, but fill it with more JRPG musical goodness.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Awakening is the only Fire Emblem game I've ever played, I actually really wanted Lucina in 4. I think it was a smart choice because there are a lot of gamers like me who got their introduction into Fire Emblem through Awakening.

I wanted Corrin. He seemed cool...

Last edited:

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
I think the two characters with the strongest chances right now assuming the hints do mean something are Isaac and Skull Kid, Isaac because of the golden sun at the end of the trailer and the twitter shot and Skull Kid because of the direct setting and the moon announcement in the previous direct. Also both are popular and demanded enough for hype and fanservice.

However! If we don't get Isaac tomorrow it doesn't mean we are not getting him, I still believe there will be another Smash centered direct before the game launches.

While I am not a fan of Fire Emblem (no venom, just not my style of game) I do agree that they need to put more effort into diversifying the Fire Emblem roster (they have two echo fighters :ultlucina::ultchrom:) I was actually glad Robin got in over Chrom because he was able to show off some of the magic used in the series (sure he still had a sword). I think Fire Emblems roster would be better if it was smaller in number but, greater in showcasing the elements in the series. (magic, spears, axes, swords, maybe even mounts like a horse or a pegasus).

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Good luck to everyone here! While I'll be pulling for a different celestial body tomorrow, I think all the Golden Sun fans have waited way too long and I hope to see Isaac soon!

?!?!?!

Smash Ace

I know everyone hates fates and I initially didn't want corrin in smash but he/she is actually a nice addition to the roster, fun character imo

Muirkat

Smash Apprentice
I know everyone hates fates and I initially didn't want corrin in smash but he/she is actually a nice addition to the roster, fun character imo
He/she IS fun to play, but I know a lot of people who we're pretty annoyed when Corrin was first announced.

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
I actually wanted Corrin. She's my second favorite FE-Character in Smash after Ike. ^^
Not only do I like shape shifting as a trait in general, I also think she has the most unique Moveset of all the FE-Characters in Smash. :D

EDIT: Haven't played Fates yet, though because of the horrid translation.

Last edited:

Machete

Smash Ace

I wanted Corrin because I liked her design a lot. I couldn't believe they actually went ahead and made her playable though, I couldn't believe it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
All this camaraderie between threads is heartwarming. Here's hoping someone has their dreams come true tomorrow!

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
I actually wanted Corrin. She's my second favorite FE-Character in Smash after Ike. ^^
Not only do I like shape shifting as a trait in general, I also think she has the most unique Moveset of all the FE-Characters in Smash. :D

EDIT: Haven't played Fates yet, though because of the horrid translation.
Don't blame the translation, the story was **** in its original language. It's wish fulfillment garbage with no narrative cohesion. Awakening worked with the Avatar character because the Avatar wasn't the focus of the story until the very end of the game. For the majority of the game, Chrom was running the show. He was the guy leading the army. He was the guy with the legendary weapon. He was the guy taking point in most cutscenes. This helps, because Chrom had a defined character while Robin was more fluid.

Corrin is the Main Character of Fates, with everybody instantly loving them and them being 100% perfect and never getting called out on their idiotic decisions because they are little more than a wish fulfillment fantasy for the player. Let's not even get into how idiotic the siblings act in order to push forward their useless "Both sides are good!" narrative!

Um, no. One side murders civilians and used their own family as a grenade in the hope that they might catch an enemy in the blast. One side is very CLEARLY ****ing evil.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
The thing about Corrin being hated is basically two things.

1. Fire Emblem having so many representives.
2. Being apart of 3 games (like Pokemon) which are LOATHED in the west. (Idk about Japan though.)

Corrin isn't bad, but he isn't what I'd call "captivating" or "interesting" as a character.

I mean, the only think that keeps people making art of Corrin is the Female version. And the fact that Etika keeps promoting it like a mascot. *shivers*

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
that would be too much i think. sakurai said not alot of non echo fighters left
Source? Because I don't think his E3 quote applies any more given we had 5 characters in the last direct.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Yeah, I skipped most of the story in Fates. Especially since I picked Conquest. What can I say, I was drawn to Camilla...

So when I realized how blatantly absurd that side of the story ended up being, I just skipped it all. At least the gameplay was fun.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure his E3 quote was referring to unique newcomers. Since we still only have 4 on that count.

Still, crossing my fingers that one of my top 3 uniques gets in tomorrow (Banjo, Geno, Isaac). While I don't have a history with the character you can bet I'll be right here celebrating if Isaac gets in.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Don't blame the translation, the story was **** in its original language. It's wish fulfillment garbage with no narrative cohesion. Awakening worked with the Avatar character because the Avatar wasn't the focus of the story until the very end of the game. For the majority of the game, Chrom was running the show. He was the guy leading the army. He was the guy with the legendary weapon. He was the guy taking point in most cutscenes. This helps, because Chrom had a defined character while Robin was more fluid.

Corrin is the Main Character of Fates, with everybody instantly loving them and them being 100% perfect and never getting called out on their idiotic decisions because they are little more than a wish fulfillment fantasy for the player. Let's not even get into how idiotic the siblings act in order to push forward their useless "Both sides are good!" narrative!

Um, no. One side murders civilians and used their own family as a grenade in the hope that they might catch an enemy in the blast. One side is very CLEARLY ****ing evil.
Also the 3 routes thing was way too ambitious considering all the characters implied and the premises of the plot. Making something coherent out of it would have required very talented writers and effort but they failed on that part.

Last edited:

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
Don't blame the translation, the story was **** in its original language.
Yeah, don't intend to do that. But I'd still like to experience the characterization of the side-characters (not just Corrin), as close to how they were intended as possible. Thx for the explanation though. ^^

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Let us pass the time with a question: What is your favorite quote from the Golden Sun games?
My favorite: Ivan "We did it because we're us!"
The monk on the right in the temple at the start of the Lost Age. When you talk to him normally, he says, "HE went in before ME? What nonsense! Wait... I guess I ought to be supportive and hope for his success..." But when you mind read him, "There's no way I'm rooting for that loser! Choke! Choke! Fail the test!"

Just the fact that this monk is mentally screaming chooooke at the guy who went in to do the test is hilarious to me.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I thought Corrin's story was okay really. But I don't hate the character. At this point, Corrin's inclusion is a non-issue because of the "Everyone is Here" theme of Ultimate. Not to mention its unlikely we will get anyone past Chrom (Unless its like... the Black Knight or some ****).

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I thought Corrin's story was okay really. But I don't hate the character. At this point, Corrin's inclusion is a non-issue because of the "Everyone is Here" theme of Ultimate. Not to mention its unlikely we will get anyone past Chrom (Unless its like... the Black Knight or some ****).
Yeah. It is a non-issue. It's just going back and thinking about what had happened during Smash 4.

Now, i think a majority of the fanbase is excited for Ultimate.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Yeah. It is a non-issue. It's just going back and thinking about what had happened during Smash 4.

Now, i think a majority of the fanbase is excited for Ultimate.
It was an odd choice that was met with a lot of salt, from me included. But I gave Corrin a chance. I'm a fan of the character even if the story isn't that great. If Smash has proven anything to me, I don't have to like the story or the game of a character to appreciate the characters themselves.

Which brings me right back here to Isaac. I've been watching my buddy Shin F. play Golden Sun and I couldn't help but to laugh at the plot right off the bat. Which, sure. Its a bit old, probably dated, but is still interesting to watch. No matter what I feel about Isaac's story, I'm still going to like the character, because of years of attachment through my friends exposing me to Golden Sun.

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
Delta64 said:
Let us pass the time with a question: What is your favorite quote from the Golden Sun games?
My favorite: Ivan "We did it because we're us!
Ooooh so that's what he said in english ?
That line made me laughed out loud in french the first time I read it, because it doesn't sound like Ivan at all !

He says : "On a réussi... parce qu'on est les meilleurs." (We did it... because we're the best.)

As for Corrin (and i'm a FE Fan), he's genuinely a bad character, very poorly written. He does a lot of incoherent/stupid choice, can't do anything by himself, and just follow the wind to push forward. But for his defence, it's not Corrin fault. Fates has really weaky story. I'm a big fan of dramaturgy (the art of writing a story), and FE and most of Video Games have very poor scenarios. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are some of rare (and beautiful) exceptions.

Don't be too harsh on the translation. Most of the translators do amazing jobs most of the time, but when it happens, nobody are there to praise them. But if they do one typo...
Funny enough, the french translation of the recent Fire Emblem (didn't play Echoes) are godlike. Same thing for Octopath traveler. As a writter, I was amazed while playing the game, and bringing a notebook open, just to improve my writting style.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
The thing about Corrin being hated is basically two things.

1. Fire Emblem having so many representives.
2. Being apart of 3 games (like Pokemon) which are LOATHED in the west. (Idk about Japan though.)

Corrin isn't bad, but he isn't what I'd call "captivating" or "interesting" as a character.

I mean, the only think that keeps people making art of Corrin is the Female version. And the fact that Etika keeps promoting it like a mascot. *shivers*
It's not really loathed in the west except in the context of smash non fe fans

Source? Because I don't think his E3 quote applies any more given we had 5 characters in the last direct.
I met with unique move sets. But you are right

Top Bottom