• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Those fans are the worst really. Basically an extension of "muh relevancy" people.
Half these fans are
I WANTED (Nintendo character) I WANTED THEM NOT ISAAC NOT ISAAC IT"S NOT FAIR ITS NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!
Babies, If Isaac does not get in, I know all of you will behave and just take it like it is.

It's why legacy / obscure Nintendo characters should get in. Fzero is awesome. So is goldensun.

Even 3rd parties like castlevania and metal gear probably aren't going to get new games.

The new gen needs to be exposed to these titles.
I really am sad about Metal Gear, I would love MGS5 on the switch. I think it would do well.

Sad konami does not know what the hell to do

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It's just that these arguments that have been debunked is being parroted by the joksters.

"Golden Sun is medicre."

"Isaac is a generic swordsman."

"Isaac isn't relavant."

I'm SICK of these ******* arguments when they clearly don't know what they are talking about.
I mean that literally is what happens to every big character. They find some way to write them off because they don't have any actual reasoning and they need some way to convince themselves the bigger characters don't stand in their way. Ridley's too big and works best as a boss, K Rool is dead and Nintendo hates him, Bandana Dee is a goomba with a hat. Until Isaac is confirmed him being called a "generic swordsman" is par for the course.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People have started using "old character" pejoratively against the likes of Isaac, K. Rool, Geno, etc. and it perplexes me why the era a character hails from should matter at all. Why would lacking a recent appearance make them a poor choice if they're a fan favourite? Did Smash 4 brainwash you that hard?

It's clear these aspersions are formed on the basis of not receiving the characters they want. Silliness.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Those fans are the worst really. Basically an extension of "muh relevancy" people.
Basically the switch audience.

Like, does anyone remember Fire Emblem and how new it was to westerners? Westerners were'nt asking for it, but it was requested by the fans.

Xenoblade. Fire emblem. Kid Icarus.

Franchises that didn't have a presence on most Nintendo fans radar until SSB.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
"It's surprising that a character like Isaac leads the Smash Bros. wishlists now. Golden Sun was never big, it is fairly old and it's presence in Smash has diminished over time. He doesn't have a striking visual design or super intriguing powers. The power of the old guard."

LOL what?? Never big? Golden Sun was a seller when the GBA was around, the visuals are a stand out of pushing the GBA to the limits and the summons are iconic. Not saying this as a fanboy but in the way GS made it's mark. If it was not big we wouldn't be talking about it

LeakyPandy don't know ****
Guys, he just don't know Golden Sun, if a common thing think that things you don't know aren't big thing, some Friends still mock me for Liking Fire Emblem since its not very popular where I was born, same with Golden Sun
It's one of two things or maybe even both - they are just too young to have been around during the impact of the GS games at the time OR they are being revisionist and are downplaying the actual global popularity the series saw at the time.

It's just a tad annoying when they go slightly overboard and make statements like you saw in Pwnapplez Pwnapplez quote or the post above that XenoWarriorX XenoWarriorX showed. It's fine if you know nothing about the games or the character; there's no way we can wrong you for that. But it's wrong to make statements like it's just another blonde anime swordsman from a dead series when you know nothing about the character or the game. It's being unfair to the character and just makes you look like an asshole, quite frankly. Even if that's not your intentions.

Effectively, when people put their opinions forth and state them as if they're factual, that's when you get marked down a peg either consciously or subconsciously for your opinions in general. Because the next thing you do is back up what you're claiming. And these are big claims to back up: "Golden Sun was never big" , "He doesn't have a striking visual design", "or super intriguing powers". If that's true, no one in Smash Bros. has intriguing powers.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Its like I said before. When the next "impossible" or "dumb" thing makes it in Smash, people will ridicule the next popular thing in line. Because its not "their unique character".

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Did they do stealth Directs before? Aside from the Nindies thing.
Not really. They don't do live Nintendo Directs out of nowhere. Mini Directs they do, though, in fact more often than not, Mini Directs are just dropped onto Youtube.

However... if by "stealth" you mean "revealed about a day in advance", then YES. These happen ALL THE TIME. If by tomorrow morning there's no Nintendo Direct announced for Thursday, THEN we can say there probably won't be one this week. (And personally, I'd been calling next week anyway until Spawn Wave said he's hearing "September 6th").

Huanchi

Smash Apprentice
Bandana Dee is a goomba with a hat
Because B-Waddle-D is basically a Goomba with a hat... and Ridley is too big. look at his model. Mega Hitbox. And the model itself is ugly imo. Colors are weird. K.Rool on the other hand looks pretty damn good. Isaac isnt generic couse psynergy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You guys post a lot of links, but you know you can insert tweets and youtube videos and whatnot directly into the thread, right?

Just go to Insert -> Media, and post the url.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Hey, my generation’s not all bad. We might have invented meme trap rap and some of us hate good Smash choices, but not all of us are like that.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Because B-Waddle-D is basically a Goomba with a hat... and Ridley is too big. look at his model. Mega Hitbox. And the model itself is ugly imo. Colors are weird. K.Rool on the other hand looks pretty damn good. Isaac isnt generic couse psynergy.
Ok but being a goomba with a hat doesn't make him any less of an actual character or unique like how people intend that to be used against him and as for Ridley you are incorrect he's not too big or he wouldn't be in and the fact you don't like his model doesn't change that.

Last edited:

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
It's one of two things or maybe even both - they are just too young to have been around during the impact of the GS games at the time OR they are being revisionist and are downplaying the actual global popularity the series saw at the time.

It's just a tad annoying when they go slightly overboard and make statements like you saw in Pwnapplez Pwnapplez quote or the post above that XenoWarriorX XenoWarriorX showed. It's fine if you know nothing about the games or the character; there's no way we can wrong you for that. But it's wrong to make statements like it's just another blonde anime swordsman from a dead series when you know nothing about the character or the game. It's being unfair to the character and just makes you look like an *******, quite frankly. Even if that's not your intentions.

Effectively, when people put their opinions forth and state them as if they're factual, that's when you get marked down a peg either consciously or subconsciously for your opinions in general. Because the next thing you do is back up what you're claiming. And these are big claims to back up: "Golden Sun was never big" , "He doesn't have a striking visual design", "or super intriguing powers". If that's true, no one in Smash Bros. has intriguing powers.

It boils down to these people not branching out. It's because they become so SOUR when there character does not make it in a video game. Play GS and give it a shot, and I mean really give it a shot.
Before I make an opinion about ANY character I make sure to play the game.

For the case of Xeno2 Yeah it's a huge turn off for me, that game reaks Otaku imo. However, I am not going to say that Rex and Pyra are not Smash worthy till I play the game.

Plus people like being negative to be negative. Yelling that they don't like GS to piss off fans to get attention.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
No i am not. its my opinion. You dont need to share my opinion but it is not incorrect. Ridley is too big for this game. I appreciate that he is in but i dont like the model they using for him
It's based on the super metroid model. It's SUPPOSED to look ugly.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
No i am not. its my opinion. You dont need to share my opinion but it is not incorrect. Ridley is too big for this game. I appreciate that he is in but i dont like the model they using for him
No it's really not a matter of opinion. He's in so he's not too big. Your stance may be you believe him to be too big but it doesn't change facts.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
What do you all think of Golden Sun while we are at it?

I do see that its mediocre RPG is thrown around sometimes.

My favorite parts are battle system, sound track, and world setting.

With something like Final Fantasy 7, its a great game, but the battle animations really slowed down the gameplay. Golden Sun is super fast paced because it gives you the option to speed up or skip battle animations. Its also basic and easy to pick up but the djinn system adds just enough variety and depth.

The sound track is great of course, motoi sakuraba is a great composer. I would love a melody of his works on the Golden Sun stage, from Tales of to Dark Souls...

The setting/world building is probably my favorite part. All the different psyenergy and cultures that parallel real ones made me interested in maps and history as a kid and introduced me to a lot of vocabulary. Its the only RPG where I felt like I explored the earth's ancient places instead of a mishmash of either European or Asian places.

---
Graphically it hasn't aged well is the only complaint I can think of. And the story doesn't really have any twists and turns.

The common complaint is that its safe, that there's not a lot of innovation. But that's what makes it great. Its vanilla, but really good vanilla. Makes it stand out on the GBA which was filled to the brim with more unique style JRPGs.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
for me, I just don't understand this hate like did Isaac steal candy from a baby or something

Huanchi

Smash Apprentice
No it's really not a matter of opinion. He's in so he's not too big. Your stance may be you believe him to be too big but it doesn't change facts.
why are you trolling on smashboards? just accept that other people have other opinions. his model is too big and i dont like it. I rather have a more lighter purple version like he had in brawl. What you dont get is that i like having Ridley in Smash. I just dont like the way they did it.

Last edited:

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace

With something like Final Fantasy 7, its a great game, but the battle animations really slowed down the gameplay. Golden Sun is super fast paced because it gives you the option to speed up or skip battle animations. Its also basic and easy to pick up but the djinn system adds just enough variety and depth.

The sound track is great of course, motoi sakuraba is a great composer. I would love a melody of his works on the Golden Sun stage, from Tales of to Dark Souls...

The setting/world building is probably my favorite part. All the different psyenergy and cultures that parallel real ones made me interested in maps and history as a kid and introduced me to a lot of vocabulary. Its the only RPG where I felt like I explored the earth's ancient places instead of a mishmash of either European or Asian places.

---
Graphically it hasn't aged well is the only complaint I can think of. And the story doesn't really have any twists and turns.

The common complaint is that its safe, that there's not a lot of innovation. But that's what makes it great. Its vanilla, but really good vanilla. Makes it stand out on the GBA which was filled to the brim with more unique style JRPGs.
I like the world of GS, if it was not on the GBA it could of been bigger. The sound track, battle system and characters are great. The chemistry between works.

I think GS is a good JRPG for people to start playing JRPGS, it's got some great puzzles too.

It's not a bad game, it is flawed but not a bad game. It would not be in people's top 10 GBA game if it was.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Basically the switch audience.

Like, does anyone remember Fire Emblem and how new it was to westerners? Westerners were'nt asking for it, but it was requested by the fans.

Xenoblade. Fire emblem. Kid Icarus.

Franchises that didn't have a presence on most Nintendo fans radar until SSB.
This is actually a good thing to point out. Effectively, most of the general audience don't actually know what they want. That is until they actually try it for themselves. So you have franchises who are running at a really low throttle at some point in their history when there is a much larger audience out there that is willing to play it in some form if it's given to to them.

The same people that are hate bashing on Golden Sun; well it wouldn't be all that surprising to see them become dedicated fans in a heartbeat if we got a Golden Sun: Awakening after Isaac appearing in a Smash game or having its popularity resuscitated.

This is also usually why games fail really hard if the developers base its mechanics and content solely on fan demand rather than using some of their own insights and perspective. Ideally, you use the fan demand sparingly if there really is a good idea and give them what they want in the form of non-mechanics content like extra characters or a random fan-designed weapon or armor set in the game.

Basically, it's all about the law of give and take. You don't let the fans dictate the game, but you also don't exclude them either.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

---

I love most aspects of GS but if someone were to say it was overly verbose I wouldn't argue with them.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Did they do stealth Directs before? Aside from the Nindies thing.
I believe that the january mini direct was without an announcement. And I think is a trend with the mini directs.

Always the formal Direct are announce a day before, so tomorrow we should known. But always can be a mini direct

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
why are you trolling on smashboards? just accept that other people have other opinions. his model is too big and i dont like it. I rather have a more lighter purple version like he appeared in brawl then this weird model
I'm not trolling. Just because you don't like his height doesn't negate that he isn't too big. It's not about opinions. You're free to believe whatever you want but that doesn't make it true.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Something I have noticed about the newcomers we have received so far is how they relate to the Smash series. Excluding Simon and Richter, every newcomer so far has made an appearance in a smash game at some point. Assist trophy: :ultdarksamus:, Mii costume: :ultinkling::ultchrom::ultkrool:, Boss character: :ultridley: Trophy: :ultdaisy:. It is no secret that this game is a product made for Smash fans. And what better way than to take characters that missed their chance and bring them on board. Even Castlevania was talked about in the Smash community after Snake made it into Brawl. Relevancy does not mean "when was the last game this character appeared in?" it means "how much does this character mean to the Smash series and to the community?"

alguidrag

Smash Ace
This is actually a good thing to point out. Effectively, most of the general audience don't actually know what they want. That is until they actually try it for themselves. So you have franchises who are running at a really low throttle at some point in their history when there is a much larger audience out there that is willing to play it in some form if it's given to to them.
As a future developer myself ( I want to be when I grow) this is 100% many times my teachers say that the Client don't know what he want, the developers need to predict it since even if you gave him everything he asks, he will complain about some things HE ASKED and will complain about don't having things HE DIDN'T ASK

Last edited:

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
I love most aspects of GS but if someone were to say it was overly verbose I wouldn't argue with them.
I agree, GS is a bit text heavy, however, I enjoyed it. Felt like a real story to me.

Idk, I guess I got somewhat of a stupid connection to it.

Growing up I had Dyslexia and I could not read for ****. GS helped me a lot with my reading skills due to all the text and all the NPC you could talk to

StormC

Smash Hero
People have started using "old character" pejoratively against the likes of Isaac, K. Rool, Geno, etc. and it perplexes me why the era a character hails from should matter at all. Why would lacking a recent appearance make them a poor choice if they're a fan favourite? Did Smash 4 brainwash you that hard?

It's clear these aspersions are formed on the basis of not receiving the characters they want. Silliness.
Smash 4 ruined Smash speculation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not really. They don't do live Nintendo Directs out of nowhere. Mini Directs they do, though, in fact more often than not, Mini Directs are just dropped onto Youtube.

However... if by "stealth" you mean "revealed about a day in advance", then YES. These happen ALL THE TIME. If by tomorrow morning there's no Nintendo Direct announced for Thursday, THEN we can say there probably won't be one this week. (And personally, I'd been calling next week anyway until Spawn Wave said he's hearing "September 6th").
Okay, got it. Personally, I thought the next Direct would be Saturday, but if it will actually be earlier, then cool, then.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

That comment of wanted relevant characters like BDD and Shantae hurt me. Not that the characters are bad, but it shows how much of an impact SSB4 had on speculation.

why are you trolling on smashboards? just accept that other people have other opinions. his model is too big and i dont like it. I rather have a more lighter purple version like he had in brawl. What you dont get is that i like having Ridley in Smash. I just dont like the way they did it.
I actually think the brawl Ridley is the worst incarnation of ridley i've ever seen. IMO.

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I agree, GS is a bit text heavy, however, I enjoyed it. Felt like a real story to me.

Idk, I guess I got somewhat of a stupid connection to it.

Growing up I had Dyslexia and I could not read for ****. GS helped me a lot with my reading skills due to all the text and all the NPC you could talk to
Yep almost all NPC had regular dialog AND Mind Read dialog... is simply so cool be like
NPC: I never asked for your help...
NPC(Mind Read): Man... I'm so happy he saved me, but I WILL NEVER say it...

Huanchi

Smash Apprentice
It's not about opinions. You're free to believe whatever you want
it is totally about opinions if I am free to believe whatever I want. My opinion is that he had more potential and it too big for a player and too small for a boss like he is right now. I like more cartoony version better.

it is also my opinion that I prefer Isaac with sword smash attacks and psynergy specials like Robin does with magic. Neither is right or wrong. It is MY opinion. Nothing wrong about that. Nothing proofen wrong by the rules of our world.

Last edited:

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
The entire build up to Smash 4 felt like Nintendo using it to promote their games. Even returning veterans were announced alongside the release of certain games. Examples include: Peach (Super Mario 3d World), Zelda (A Link Between Worlds), Diddy Kong (Tropical Freeze), and King Dedede (Triple Deluxe Japan release).
Edit: Oh and Toon Link (Wind Waker HD).

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think the main reason people are thinking that there's going to be a direct on the 6th is that a number of different "leakers" (or people who supposedly have inside sources) have been mentioning that date for a direct.

There's also the fact that demos are launching at Best Buy on the 8th. Considering they had a whole video dedicated to revealing that at E3 when Smash 4 was being released that makes me think they'll at least want to make an official announcement for it in a direct.

It certainly feels like we're about to get some kind of announcement.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
it is totally about opinions if I am free to believe whatever I want. My opinion is that he had more potential and it too big for a player and too small for a boss like he is right now. I like more cartoony version better.

it is also my opinion that I prefer Isaac with sword smash attacks and psynergy specials like Robin does with magic. Neither is right or wrong. It is MY opinion. Nothing wrong about that. Nothing proofen wrong by the rules of our world.
It seems you are missing the point. I'm just going to let this go because it's not really worth arguing why opinions aren't more important than facts.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Eh, it cultivated a new hive mind that will have to be reprogrammed with Ultimate's style of inclusion in mind. And then will then have to be broken down and reprogrammed again once the next Smash inevitably deviates from this style.

It would help if people wouldn't cling to their outdated guidelines, trying to connect the dots between different pictures, but what are you gonna do. All in all Smashboards seems to have caught on quicker than some other places.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
The entire build up to Smash 4 felt like Nintendo using it to promote their games. Even returning veterans were announced alongside the release of certain games. Examples include: Peach (Super Mario 3d World), Zelda (A Link Between Worlds), Diddy Kong (Tropical Freeze), and King Dedede (Triple Deluxe Japan release).
Nintedo had to advertise their franchises using smash, since their god awful advrtisments couldn't do it on their own xD

Last edited:
Top Bottom