• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That Reddit post was a very interesting read. Honestly I just can't see this not being a reference to Golden Sun. Link being Isaac's stand in, Marth being a reference to Mars (Garet's Element), and Shulk referencing Ivan with the similar hairstyle (even personality somewhat) along with seeing in to the future.

And then you have the Colosseum stage which is almost a clear reference to Coloso and the Linked Battles from Golden Sun. As well as the angle itself of course which is done in the style of Golden Sun.

If this isn't Isaac then Sakurai done ****ed up getting people's hopes up deliberately.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Isaac isn't even really mentioned in this Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ink_wont_get_in_that/?st=jlmlczmb&sh=e4cfcd17

I think that's a pretty good sign. Seems like most people expect him at this point.
This reminds me, I calculated the averaged chance% for Isaac in the RTC thread since I was curious on the consensus and it hadn't been done yet.

58.96%, which is quite a big step up from the 20.44% that he got during his late rate.

A majority of the rosters here and on YouTube believe that Isaac will be playable as well. Interesting how so much can change in such a short amount of time. People really believe the odds are in his favor!

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
And that would have been a better angle to use if they were trying to reference the MHW box art, with Rathalos above them.

On a side note, any reason I can't do attachments, here or basically anywhere?
Wow that's so true. Like they could have totally had the characters on that monster hunter stage or a similar looking area and put the camera how they wanted it, the yet they didn't. As pointed out before, if this was meant to be a reference to the Monster Hunter cover, it's a really poor one.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
They really gotta add more characters for under represented /obscure Nintendo franchises, so they can maybe get ported over seas like Fire Emblem or revived like Kid Icarus. Golden Sun and other lesser known Nintendo series deserve another shot!

https://imgur.com/a/jLkRgOb

Nintendo's vast amount of series is what makes them a cool company! No offense to the people who want shy guy, chain chomp, goomba, mario is missing luigi, 8 bit mario, koopa, koopa troopa, thwomp, etc. :b
There's a lot of great franchises and franchise entries from the GBA/GameCube era that didn't get a character, stage, assist trophies, etc.

We got essentially every major and notable Nintendo-owned character from the NES/Famicom era, SNES/Super Famicom/Game Boy era and the N64/Game Boy Color era already playable (except Skull Kid, Paper Mario, Dixie Kong and maybe Cranky Kong; like that is actually "the list" of characters of that era that ever had any mass appeal).

The GameCube/GBA era is the next frontier of "retro Nintendo-owned characters." We've burned past the bottom of the barrel in regards to those other eras (again, the aforementioned exceptions aside).

• In Melee we got Roy from that era.
  • In Brawl we got Ike, Lucas, Olimar and Toon Link (and kind of the Pokémon Trainer's new-ish design too + Zero Suit Samus' and Wario's new look) from that era.
  • In Smash 4 we got Bowser Jr (and sort of Villager too; technically debuted on the N64 but that was Japan-only) from that era.
  • In Ultimate we got Dark Samus so far.

Isaac I think is "the big one" in regards to that era that is missing. Other notable characters include a Gen 3 Pokémon (Blaziken probably, Sceptile, Gardevoir are other possibilities as well), something Advance Wars (not having a real super central character hurts; Andy is the closest thing to that), and Chibi-Robo.

There's about as many characters from the Wii/DS era left as well. The current gen (RIP Wii U/3DS/Switch era) is the gen with the most quality-ish Nintendo-owned newcomer candidates actually.

Also fun fact: In regards to 3rd party playable characters, 1 debuted in Gen 2 (Pac-Man), 4 debuted in Gen 3 (Solid Snake, Mega Man, Ryu, Simon Belmont), 2 debuted in Gen 4 (Sonic, Richter Belmont), 1 debuted in Gen 5 (Cloud Strife), 1 debuted in Gen 7 (Bayonetta).

Zero debuted in Gen 6, aka the GameCube/Game Boy Advance era (which is shared with the original Xbox/PS2/Dreamcast). Sora from Kingdom Hearts, Dante from Devil May Cry and Phoenix Wright are probably the most notable characters that have a chance to debut in that era (also Master Chief from Halo if Sakurai and co are insane and try to end crossovers from ever topping this game ever lol).

It would actually be hilarious to see Isaac and one of those 3rd party characters playable and fighting, especially Master Chief lol.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
This reminds me, I calculated the averaged chance% for Isaac in the RTC thread since I was curious on the consensus and it hadn't been done yet.

58.96%, which is quite a big step up from the 20.44% that he got during his late rate.

A majority of the rosters here and on YouTube believe that Isaac will be playable as well. Interesting how so much can change in such a short amount of time. People really believe the odds are in his favor!
To be honest I'm not sure how much of a positive that is, considering the Smash fan base is notoriously terrible at predicting characters. :p

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
There's a lot of great franchises and franchise entries from the GBA/GameCube era that didn't get a character, stage, assist trophies, etc.

We got essentially every major and notable Nintendo-owned character from the NES/Famicom era, SNES/Super Famicom/Game Boy era and the N64/Game Boy Color era already playable (except Skull Kid, Paper Mario, Dixie Kong and maybe Cranky Kong; like that is actually "the list" of characters of that era that ever had any mass appeal).

The GameCube/GBA era is the next frontier of "retro Nintendo-owned characters." We've burned past the bottom of the barrel in regards to those other eras (again, the aforementioned exceptions aside).

• In Melee we got Roy from that era.
  • In Brawl we got Ike, Lucas, Olimar and Toon Link (and kind of the Pokémon Trainer's new-ish design too + Zero Suit Samus' and Wario's new look) from that era.
  • In Smash 4 we got Bowser Jr (and sort of Villager too; technically debuted on the N64 but that was Japan-only) from that era.
  • In Ultimate we got Dark Samus so far.

Isaac I think is "the big one" in regards to that era that is missing. Other notable characters include a Gen 3 Pokémon (Blaziken probably, Sceptile, Gardevoir are other possibilities as well), something Advance Wars (not having a real super central character hurts; Andy is the closest thing to that), and Chibi-Robo.
And we haven't even scratched the surface of potential fighters when it comes to retro reps from obscure franchises not known today. :)

I snagged this before the site updated!

Holy **** I am shaking!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FRxzxtCJJRc19bi4VxsUwMLIo_qTZN41

50 Cent is confirmed guys. Pack up your stuff.

50 more slots dedicated to 50 cent means all potential characters are out.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Wow that's so true. Like they could have totally had the characters on that monster hunter stage or a similar looking area and put the camera how they wanted it, the yet they didn't. As pointed out before, if this was meant to be a reference to the Monster Hunter cover, it's a really poor one.
Not to mention, Marth and Shulk don't make too much sense for the MH picture. Link has Sword and Shield which is fine, it's a common weapon used in the series. You could make a stretch to say that Shulk is Greatsword which is another weapon in the series. Marth just has a 1-Handed double-edge sword. MH has dual swords and long swords, but those aren't the same. Long Swords are two-handed and typically look like a very long katana. There are other selections you could go with - Dedede has a hammer, Pit has a bow. Those weren't used though.

It speaks volumes that it's immediately magnetized towards GS. As soon as we all saw it, it was just too familiar. What's more is that you can't make the claim that it doesn't look like a GS battle screen. When you make the claim that it could be a MH cover; the more you delve into it, the more it all breaks apart. When you make the claim that it's a GS battle screen, now matter how many times we've delved into it, it matches all the necessary qualities to emulate it. If it were slightly panned out and tilted it would cast it into immediate doubt. But it's not. It's right in the 'Goldilocks' zone where the resemblance goes between uncanny and undeniable.

It is literally the only thing we've gotten in three games worth of smash speculation. I don't remember people talking about Isaac clouds because we're not that kind of community. The most evidence we would offer would be circumstantial hopes at best. This photo and this ballot is the reason we've propelled up to a very real possibility.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I get that everyone loves joking about 50 Cent in Smash, ha ha ha.

But it's getting on my nerves.

No one is talking about his obvious echo, The Game, and it's ridiculous.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Funny enough you could use the hook from that song to describe us regarding isaacs chances:

Hate it or love it, the underdog's on top
And I'm gon' shine homey until my heart stop
Go 'head envy me, I'm rap's (the smash ballot's) MVP
And I ain't goin' nowhere, so you can get to know me

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
OMG the new thread title is 50/50. Pwnapplez Pwnapplez , feel proud.
Isaac got a 50% chance of being in Smash
Isaac got a crew like G Unit
Isaac saved the world like how 50 saved the NY rap game

Idk what but I think this has more of a connection then the camelot angle

I am so happy after like 10 or something years they came together to fight it out in Smash

?!?!?!

Smash Ace

I mean didn't game and 50 have beef back in the day? He'd be a perfect echo to fit the "rivals" theme

Last edited:

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
"Get Isaac or die tryin" I'm done :laugh:

50 cent was really meant to be this thread's mascot

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
That is why I brought up the Little Mac angle. It is totally possible for them to put the camera directly behind a character/characters. So there is no way this angle was referring to this cover. (Also one takes place in a coliseum while the other is on a cliff).
That's what I thought. With all the supposed hints, this is the only one I believe. Maybe because I really want Isaac but there's too many details to be a coincidence:

- The camara angle
- Link = Isaac, almost in the same pose. both blondes
- Marth = Garet, Mars (Marth's japenese name) Adept.
- Shulk = Ivan. Both blondes, both with a special weapon they have to keep, and both with the ability to see the future.
- Picture taking in the Colisseum, which looks almost identical to the Colosseum in GS

This picture is the reasons why I'll be so depressed if Isaac is not in the final roster. It's too similar to be a coincidences, but can be just a coincidences and that's why I want a real leak to end my torture

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Rofl, dang it, Pwnapplez Pwnapplez ! I love and hate you for this whole 50 Cent thing. If Isaac dressed up as 50 cent becomes a meme outside of this thread, I will be shocked!

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd love to think that the picture is a Golden Sun reference, but is it also more possibly a reference to this?

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Golden Sun came out more than a decade and a half ago. Its pretty crazy how there is still popular demand for Isaac. I want him in really badly, but I'm still surprised. I wonder why. The game introduced me to world building and its pretty replayable too because its fast paced unlike something like FF7.

I guess it was many people's intros to traditional style JRPGs. There were like none of those for N64 and GCN. But it was one of the first on the GBA.

Yeah. We are almost to the point where that gen is retro now. Hopefully Sakurai pays some meaty tribute to it

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Do you guys think Skull Kid and Isaac are neck to neck with popularity?
No, Skull Kid is more popular right now IMO.

The Majora's Mask hype is always big and the Majora's Mask fan support is super big after Majora's Mask 3D. Plus Majora's Mask (as in the mask itself) is one of the most iconic items in video games.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

And what's even more grating is that no one ever bothers to mention the potential Slim Shady AT that would come alongside them.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I'd love to think that the picture is a Golden Sun reference, but is it also more possibly a reference to this?

Background is off, weapon types don't match completely, and they still could have done more to manipulate the angle better.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think it could go either way. The camera angle is odd but it's three warriors with their backs to the camera facing a Ratholos.

Are we absolutely sure this picture couldn't be replicated without development tools?

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Background is off, weapon types don't match completely, and they still could have done more to manipulate the angle better.
Yeah this. They didn’t bother to manipulate the camera at all in the AT pic. It’s just an optical illusion that makes everyone look like they’re standing in a horizontal line. They could have edited the camera to be behind the characters if they wanted to like in those Mac pics.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think it could go either way. The camera angle is odd but it's three warriors with their backs to the camera facing a Ratholos.

Are we absolutely sure this picture couldn't be replicated without development tools?
I don't see how it could really. No previous Smash game allows for that to happen unless there's some new mode in this game that does something like that.

Top Bottom