• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Maybe we'll get some actual first-party newcomers as DLC this time but there's also a chance Sakurai will go for big 3rd parties for DLC and cut vets if cuts happen again. Until first-party newcomers DLC happens I'm not super optimistic for Isaac appearing as DLC. However, he's got a great shot this time due to the ballot since it will certainly carry weight for the roster so I'm not too worried about seeing him.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Maybe we'll get some actual first-party newcomers as DLC this time but there's also a chance Sakurai will go for big 3rd parties for DLC and cut vets if cuts happen again. Until first-party newcomers DLC happens I'm not super optimistic for Isaac appearing as DLC. However, he's got a great shot this time due to the ballot since it will certainly carry weight for the roster so I'm not too worried about seeing him.
This game really gives off the feeling that it's going to have an even bigger focus on fanservice. There weren't a ton of new releases between '14-'16 (when this roster was likely finalized). Aside from Splatoon, a gen 7 Pokemon, BotW, Odyssey, and a few others, there will be many new games that may have to wait until DLC (ARMS, Xenoblade 2). This means that Sakurai may be digging back rather than ahead for a good number of newcomers, especially when you consider the Ballot.

I think this is Isaac's best chance since Brawl, whether it be as a base newcomer or a DLC newcomer, because there will still be Ballot choices to capitalize on as paid DLC newcomers.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Why do you think he would get in as DLC?
I believe the best chance for Isaac is being on the base roster. Golden Sun is not a healthy series at the moment, and it's been like this, almost like F-Zero. Unless you have played Golden Sun games, or have been in the Smash scene, who would know Isaac?

I believe he would be too obscure for DLC. Nintendo would not profit the same way they would with ARMS or something relevant.

Still, I really would love to see Isaac in the base game.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Well we looked up the dates of the games of the characters that got in Brawl and it was pretty much 2005+ so Isaac was too early for Brawl. In Smash 4 he actually had a better chance because 2010 for DD was right in the time frame for characters plus his popularity from the AT in Brawl. You're right though, with so little relevant games to add into Smash plus the ballot this is truly his best chance.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Why do you think he would get in as DLC?
I believe the best chance for Isaac is being on the base roster. Golden Sun is not a healthy series at the moment, and it's been like this, almost like F-Zero. Unless you have played Golden Sun games, or have been in the Smash scene, who would know Isaac?

I believe he would be too obscure for DLC. Nintendo would not profit the same way they would with ARMS or something relevant.

Still, I really would love to see Isaac in the base game.
His chances are certainly much higher as a base character, I agree. I just don't want to discount him as a DLC character simply because we don't know how well he did on the Ballot. DLC wouldn't be just about promoting recent releases, but also satisfying fan demand. Corrin's game may have been popular, but they as a character were strongly disliked. You could still have high potential for sales by offering a character that people have literally voted for.

I'm just saying that if Isaac scored high enough on the Ballot, he might possibly get offered up as DLC even if his series is currently dormant because they would at least have a strong potential number for how many people would buy him. While it wouldn't be likely, it's still possible.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Perhaps, but I don't see it much likely.
I do still think that he has a fair shot for the base roster. He has appeared in Smash earlier, and he's absence was noticed, and that's perhaps where his chances in the Ballot raised itself, and perhaps is the strongest key for him. Sakurai and Nintendo might have taken notice. Given that Isaac might just be a retro in regards to GameBoy Advance games now could be considered retro.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
4 days until Nintendo E3.
4 and 3
4-3 = 1
1 Golden Sun character appeared in Brawl.
It was Isaac.

Isaac all but confirmed for Smash.

4 days
Golden Sun 4 also getting revealed at E3.

This is gonna be good, boys.
I can feel it in my left eye.

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
One other question, is Isaac the only Assist Trophy that got dropped from Brawl but did not become a playable character? Or do other characters share his fate?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
One other question, is Isaac the only Assist Trophy that got dropped from Brawl but did not become a playable character? Or do other characters share his fate?
No, there are others.

Ray was cut, likely because he’s Particle Effect, the AT, and he would have overloaded the 3DS GPU.

Grey Fox was cut with snake.

Helper in was cut, I think. Too boring, maybe?

Barbara the Bat, IIRC.

There were seven or eight total cut, if I’m remembering right.

D

Deleted member

This is gonna be the longest weekend of the year.

But a comic a day keeps the angst away.

Garet, that’s not even your house, what’re you so worried for?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No, there are others.

Ray was cut, likely because he’s Particle Effect, the AT, and he would have overloaded the 3DS GPU.

Barbara the Bat, IIRC.

It will be interesting to see who of any will be brought back. The only one I don't really miss is Helirin, but frankly, I'm for bringing attention to all of Nintendo's smaller series. It's a shame to see those were basically the ones to get the axe.

D

Deleted member

So... After last time, I don't buy any leaks for a second. I'll see it when I believe it... Or is that the other way around?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
No, there are others.

Barbara the Bat, IIRC.

What's more, I was banking for Isaac, Ray, and Barbara to be playable in Smash 4 alongside Little Mac, so I hope they get something in Smash for Switch....

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
Hmm I see, but now I am worried because of what N3ON said, the smaller series ATs got cut because irrelevant and Isaac got cut for that reason and not because he was at some point being considered the playable character status... hopefully I am wrong about this though... :-/

PS: I tried to quote you Skyblade but I am not sure I understand how it works, I clicked on +quote but then how do I include the actual quote?

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
But Saki was still there and Sin and Punishment is smaller and less relevant then any Golden Sun game

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Hmm I see, but now I am worried because of what N3ON said, the smaller series ATs got cut because irrelevant and Isaac got cut for that reason and not because he was at some point being considered the playable character status... hopefully I am wrong about this though... :-/

PS: I tried to quote you Skyblade but I am not sure I understand how it works, I clicked on +quote but then how do I include the actual quote?
You have to press "Reply" and that will automatically include the quote.

But Saki was still there and Sin and Punishment is smaller and less relevant then any Golden Sun game
Same goes for Devil and Starfy. It's possible that Isaac or Matthew were planned early on as a very low priority inclusion that would only get in if they had a much more generous amount of time. They were scrapped and Isaac was kept out of the AT role in case they wanted to come back to him at some point. Maybe I'm being too hopeful and reading too much into it but who knows?

D

Deleted member

R.I.P all the cut ATs from Brawl.

Comic of the day!

Reminder: When these comics were made, The Lost Age wasn't even a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
R.I.P all the cut ATs from Brawl.

Comic of the day!

Reminder: When these comics were made, The Lost Age wasn't even a thing.
Saturos did stand out more than Menardi, though. IMO, at least.

Karst was the stand out member of the second pair.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Just popping in for probably the last time before E3 to say that, while I'm pretty sure we're not gonna get Isaac, no matter what happens, it was good being on this ride with you fellow Isaac fans. These times took me back to the days of the ballot, my first Smash hype experience, and I've enjoyed being a part of this even if I wasn't quite as invested in it as before. No matter what happens, I will always be your fellow Smash and Golden Sun fan. Even though things don't really look so good, I'm going to keep holding on to my hope. I love the Golden Sun series, and I think it deserves better representation in Smash than what is has right now. I hope we get to see more than just songs for the series in this game.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I've read this entire thread and I love the Isaac support and enthusiasm you all have. Here's to a successful E3 for us :) p.s can you plz add me a supporter

Icana

Smash Apprentice
https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...st3-on-path-to-e3.44544/page-166#post-8836015

Isaac the #5 most wanted newcomer on ResetEra. If these sorts of results are typical (and especially if they’re representative of the ballot) I think Isaac has a good shot.
Whoa, I'm surprised! Seemed like those guys never talk about Isaac or Golden Sun. Feels like Isaac may yet have a sizable, if rather silent, fanbase. Just gotta hope he did noticeably well on the ballot, and that sways Nintendo and Sakurai enough to give us more Golden Sun fanservice for the upcoming Smash. Of course the big hope being Isaac joining the battle as a playable fighter.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I feel like people are selling Isaac a bit short here in terms of his chances, as well as his Ballot performance!

In addition to that ResetEra poll, he got 18th in SourceGaming's Japan Ballot poll, is currently the 10th most wanted character in our ongoing Rate Their Chances thread, he got 6th place on this poll done for Smash Switch characters, he got 4th on this Smash Bros. Reddit poll, and he even won a Smashboards poll!

These are most of the big polls I was able to find. These obviously aren't the actual Ballot results, but he places consistently well on fan polls, meaning that it's fair to say he probably did very well on the actual Ballot too! Even if he wasn't in the top 5 characters, I'm pretty sure he at least managed top 10! I feel very confident that we'll get Isaac this time.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I still believe in Isaacs chances....

that said I really don't think we'll be seeing him at all tomorrow. Honestly a reveal of Golden Sun 4 seems more likely than Isaac being showcased as one of the first newcomers for Smash Switch.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I still believe in Isaacs chances....

that said I really don't think we'll be seeing him at all tomorrow. Honestly a reveal of Golden Sun 4 seems more likely than Isaac being showcased as one of the first newcomers for Smash Switch.
I'm also not sure we'll get any new IP tomorrow. The Brawl trailer which showed five at once at E3 were mostly characters from pre-existing franchises. And Snake. It's possible, though. I know what I'm not expecting, but I have no clue what we're actually going to see.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I'm also not sure we'll get any new IP tomorrow. The Brawl trailer which showed five at once at E3 were mostly characters from pre-existing franchises. And Snake. It's possible, though. I know what I'm not expecting, but I have no clue what we're actually going to see.
Well technically three new IPs.

Kid Icarus
Wario Ware
Metal Gear (RIP)

Even then, I don’t think we should compare now to the Brawl trailer since it’s been 12 years since the first trailer.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Well technically three new IPs.

Kid Icarus
Wario Ware
Metal Gear (RIP)

Even then, I don’t think we should compare now to the Brawl trailer since it’s been 12 years since the first trailer.
I remembered Wario, but kind of considered him part of Mario for that trailer.

Totally forgot about Pit, though.

I dunno. I'm expecting a similar trailer to that one. With the limited time they have, and this being one of only a couple big pushes that are likely, I'm expecting a pretty hefty dose of newcomers.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was just thinking about something. Now that we know that Nintendo intends to continue supporting the 3DS....

What do you think the chances are that a new Golden Sun game would release on the 3DS rather than the Switch? I want to say it would be on the Switch but a part of me feels like it could end up on the 3DS for some reason.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I was just thinking about something. Now that we know that Nintendo intends to continue supporting the 3DS....

What do you think the chances are that a new Golden Sun game would release on the 3DS rather than the Switch? I want to say it would be on the Switch but a part of me feels like it could end up on the 3DS for some reason.
Well it would be a much cheaper (therefore safer) venture, but I imagine the returns would also be pretty paltry.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I feel like if they're going to try to bring back a series in full force after it's been dormant for almost a decade, they'd put it on the console where people are currently wanting their games, rather than one that's on the way out. The 3DS is getting a few remakes and smaller games, but it's clearly nearing the end, while people are loving the Switch, and almost everyone who sees a game they want go to the 3DS wishes it was on the Switch instead now. Golden Sun wouldn't do as well on 3DS as on Switch, and I think Nintendo would probably know that too.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I feel like if they're going to try to bring back a series in full force after it's been dormant for almost a decade, they'd put it on the console where people are currently wanting their games, rather than one that's on the way out. The 3DS is getting a few remakes and smaller games, but it's clearly nearing the end, while people are loving the Switch, and almost everyone who sees a game they want go to the 3DS wishes it was on the Switch instead now. Golden Sun wouldn't do as well on 3DS as on Switch, and I think Nintendo would probably know that too.
Plus, Golden Sun would be one of the first new main JRPG’s on the Switch, making it a hot sell for a lot of people. The 3DS already has a lot of JRPG’s so Golden Sun would just be seen as another’s one of those games if it was on the 3DS. The Switch has a lot of room for Golden Sun to grow.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Plus, Golden Sun would be one of the first new main JRPG’s on the Switch, making it a hot sell for a lot of people. The 3DS already has a lot of JRPG’s so Golden Sun would just be seen as another’s one of those games if it was on the 3DS. The Switch has a lot of room for Golden Sun to grow.
That's true too! There aren't many big fantasy JRPGs on the Switch just yet, so it would be the perfect way to pull in new fans!

D

Deleted member

JUST ONE MORE DAY.

Anyway, comic time!

Ivan’s Mind Read is so useful it ruins you for future games. Damn you, muscle memory!

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
You know, it'd be nice if Ivan could use Mind Read and see if his fellow Adept is on Sakurai's radar... Maybe see if Camelot's even close to thinking about GS4 while he's at it.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Are you guys hyped for Golden Sun reboot to be revealed in 20 minutes at Sony's presentation?!
Lol. Golden Sun returns... for the PS4! And Isaac is confirmed playable for a new Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Top Bottom