• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Of course not! The first time I saw Snake I was shocked too. Seeing characters from other darker universes is a very jarring experience. M Rated games especially. For me though, characters like Bayonetta and Snake and even sometimes when I glance at Ridley just look like they don't belong. xD It has to be the art style of their in-game appearance that messes with me.

Don't get me wrong! I am super happy we finally got Ridley, but his model adds a creepy vibe that we haven't seen before. Might take me awhile to get used to just like Snake and Bayo.
I mean, this is the same universe where a pink puff ball gets to fight an itailian plumber, and a flat gif.

Smash Bros is always jarring.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I mean, this is the same universe where a pink puff ball gets to fight an itailian plumber, and a flat gif.

Smash Bros is always jarring.
I guess to me, Jigglypuff seemed to fit after looking at Kirby. Realistic looking characters throw me off heavily. Super excited to play as Ridley though and King K. even more so. Some AT's really threw me off when first seeing them. Speaking of which, Isaac was def one of the most memorable AT's in Brawl. I have no clue why they removed it from Smash 4. Figured it was an easy copy/paste over at the least..

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I guess to me, Jigglypuff seemed to fit after looking at Kirby. Realistic looking characters throw me off heavily. Super excited to play as Ridley though and King K. even more so. Some AT's really threw me off when first seeing them. Speaking of which, Isaac was def one of the most memorable AT's in Brawl. I have no clue why they removed it from Smash 4. Figured it was an easy copy/paste over at the least..
Same thing happened to Custom robo. :C

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
Well, Shovel Knight didn't get a playable appearance. I think that speaks for itself. Ridley probably didn't do as well as he could have due to being a boss already, but they still added him regardless.
does shovel knight not being playable have anything to with rival's of aether having shovel knight? or do you think he was only added to rival's because he didn't make it in smash?

Essora

Smash Cadet
Bayonetta's Ballot inclusion was and always will be a sham of Nintendo's doing. They wanted her in. I had never heard anyone speak of her unless they were the same person that also wanted Travis Touchdown. She just looked and seemed like she didn't fit the universe and imo, honestly still doesn't. Now we know for sure the Ballot meant squat besides fans having to show Nintendo who and what IS actually wanted/popular. People screamed of disbelief even seeing her revealed way back when. The majority of hardcore fans for sure didn't buy it as *she won*.

Its a shame that she was the final reveal as saving Cloud for the end would have made much bigger waves. Isaac's chances have only grown from all this fan service being put in the game. He is now seemingly, an inevitable addition.
I'm pretty sure the Smash 4 DLC were probably determined before the Smash ballot, and that the ballot was used as a bigger point of reference in Ultimate's roster

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
does shovel knight not being playable have anything to with rival's of aether having shovel knight? or do you think he was only added to rival's because he didn't make it in smash?
I don’t think that has anything to do with it. They probably didn’t feel that SK was iconic enough to make it in (particularly in Japan), and figured that at least they could grant him the next best thing.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure the Smash 4 DLC were probably determined before the Smash ballot, and that the ballot was used as a bigger point of reference in Ultimate's roster
I agree. It is just annoying to hear Nintendo say that Bayonetta basically won the ballot. Or was #1 in Europe to play off the fact that she actually wasn't and they had planned her regardless of what anybody wanted. They were just lying for no reason. If she really was then cool, but I as well as many others doubt it. They should have not said anything and just gave us Bayo. *Simple and Clean*.......Sora Confirmed.

Last edited:

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
It's criminal overall how smash has historically treated the GBA altogether. Didn't even get a sniff of anything on it's predecessor handheld smash game. If GS were released on the Gamecube or N64 instead, we'd be discussing how we can get a 4th GS character in right now instead of just one. Smash has basically pretended as if critical success and popularity only counted on every other system than the GBA. It still baffles me as to why it's taken this long to drum up an actual inclusion instead of a speculated one. For me, GS has always been a no-brainer to add.

A poster earlier went over the newcomers in past games, and specifically what he surmised were these no-brainer/inevitable additions. Characters like Diddy Kong, Wario and Rosalina. Especially the newcomers that represent new IPs like Olimar, Shulk, etc. GS was never lesser than those series. In fact, Pikmin and Golden Sun in terms of popularity were eerily similar as both their first two games came out at roughly the same time periods. Pikmin 2 just happened to land closer to the release date of Brawl and released on a home console. Now Olimar and Alph are mainstays in smash. Even if Smash 6-10 happen, they'll never drop Pikmin reps from the game. This is what I will never be able to wrap my mind around. Olimar has become a mainstay and Isaac is an afterthought.

Don't even get me started with Advance Wars... In total, the GBA is treated as a red-headed step-child even though it was one of the climaxes of Nintendo's history. Years from now, I'd really like to know why from Sakurai and the Smash team why this has always been the case. I feel like I'll never get closure, especially if it's another page in the Where's Isaac book.

Essora

Smash Cadet
I agree. It is just annoying to hear Nintendo say that Bayonetta basically won the ballot. Or was #1 in Europe to play off the fact that she actually wasn't and they had planned her regardless of what anybody wanted. They were just lying for no reason. If she really was then cool, but I as well as many others doubt it. They should have not said anything and just gave us Bayo. *Simple and Clean*.......Sora Confirmed.
I know quite a few people really did like Bayo but I do think it is a bit dubious how the info was represented in the ballot, from what I understand she is a bit more popular in EU than US, but I'm not sure how much that could possibly skew the ballot. Additionally, we really don't have a concrete idea of how long each character's development cycle is on average, let alone a third party one which comes with all sorts of extra baggage like licensing.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
It's criminal overall how smash has historically treated the GBA altogether. Didn't even get a sniff of anything on it's predecessor handheld smash game. If GS were released on the Gamecube or N64 instead, we'd be discussing how we can get a 4th GS character in right now instead of just one. Smash has basically pretended as if critical success and popularity only counted on every other system than the GBA. It still baffles me as to why it's taken this long to drum up an actual inclusion instead of a speculated one. For me, GS has always been a no-brainer to add.

A poster earlier went over the newcomers in past games, and specifically what he surmised were these no-brainer/inevitable additions. Characters like Diddy Kong, Wario and Rosalina. Especially the newcomers that represent new IPs like Olimar, Shulk, etc. GS was never lesser than those series. In fact, Pikmin and Golden Sun in terms of popularity were eerily similar as both their first two games came out at roughly the same time periods. Pikmin 2 just happened to land closer to the release date of Brawl and released on a home console. Now Olimar and Alph are mainstays in smash. Even if Smash 6-10 happen, they'll never drop Pikmin reps from the game. This is what I will never be able to wrap my mind around. Olimar has become a mainstay and Isaac is an afterthought.

Don't even get me started with Advance Wars... In total, the GBA is treated as a red-headed step-child even though it was one of the climaxes of Nintendo's history. Years from now, I'd really like to know why from Sakurai and the Smash team why this has always been the case. I feel like I'll never get closure, especially if it's another page in the Where's Isaac book.
Lucs and Zero Suit Samus.

But i think Nintendo just didnt view the GBA as "not as big of a hit." SInce it's the lowest selling mainline Handheld.

But that should'nt be any excuse.

Mother still got a represntive with Lucas, yet no Isaac?

Maybe they just don't care, or Nintendo placed Isaac at a very low proiety. I mean, Smash bros 4 seemed to have the most characters that were added by nintendo. Just for the sake of marketing.

And Custom Robo and Golden Sun got nothing. No single trophy. And if you advertise Smash Bros as being a "celebration of Nintendo's History", then you've already failed in my eyes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Considering the discussion about Isaac's taunts, here's my ideas for Felix's taunts.

*Puts on his mask that he wore upon returning to Vale (like Lucina), and removes it.
*His Psynergy utilizing pose.
*Echo the Venus Djinn appears on his shoulder.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Thought I'd have some fun with the Psynergy bestowing items and see if any of em might make for fun abilities, and the possible chance of them being used:
GS1:
Carry Stone: Could be used as the up throw in a grab. 4/5
Catch Beads: Used as the basic grab animation. 5/5
Cloak Ball: Going invisible? Dunno bout that, might be sorta silly. 1/5
Douse Drop: Let's cause the stage to get all rainy! 1/5
Frost Jewel: Setup and create a wall of ice. Could be similar to AC's Tree. 3/5
Halt Gem: A move that kills momentum, might be a little too annoying for smash. 2/5
Lift Gem: Essentially the Carry Stone but without any moving. Carry is much more likely. 1/5
Orb of Force: Fist of Psynergy to the face! 4/5

GS2:
Burst Brooch: Creates an explosion. Definitely a possibility. 3/5
Cyclone Chip: Creates a cyclone. Possibly a defensive move? 2/5
Grindstone: Destroys Large Rocks. Uhh... Drawing a blank. 0/5
Hover Jade: Grants hover. Stops the character from falling? Might be neat. 3/5
Lash Psynergy: Creates a rope to attach to things, could be a tether. 4/5
Pound Cube: Ground fist slam. Could be the down throw in the grab. 4/5
Scoop Gem: Sand anyone? Could be used to dig up items. 2/5
Teleport Lapis: I can imagine this being the default Up Special (although retreat is more likely). 5/5
Tremor Bit: Causes ground to shake, tripping anyone? 2/5

GS3:
Grip Crystal: Similar to Lash, can be a good Tether move. 4/5
Insight Glass: Reveals things... Not that usable. 0/5
Slap Glove: Yeah! Slap em! Slap em all! Grab side throw. 4/5
Sand Prince Stone, Ice Queen Stone, Crush Tusk, Third Eye: Non-Eath Adept usable. 0/5

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I doubt that has anything to do with it. Shovel Knight has always made appearances in other indie games. Nintendo probably had a strict contract with Yacht Club on keeping the Shovel Knight AT as a secret. But you do have a point, Yacht Club might've really wanted Shovel Knight in a fighting game so they opted for Rivals. I think he's been in other fighting games too like IndiePogo
Thought I'd have some fun with the Psynergy bestowing items and see if any of em might make for fun abilities, and the possible chance of them being used:
GS1:
Carry Stone: Could be used as the up throw in a grab. 4/5
Catch Beads: Used as the basic grab animation. 5/5
Cloak Ball: Going invisible? Dunno bout that, might be sorta silly. 1/5
Douse Drop: Let's cause the stage to get all rainy! 1/5
Frost Jewel: Setup and create a wall of ice. Could be similar to AC's Tree. 3/5
Halt Gem: A move that kills momentum, might be a little too annoying for smash. 2/5
Lift Gem: Essentially the Carry Stone but without any moving. Carry is much more likely. 1/5
Orb of Force: Fist of Psynergy to the face! 4/5

GS2:
Burst Brooch: Creates an explosion. Definitely a possibility. 3/5
Cyclone Chip: Creates a cyclone. Possibly a defensive move? 2/5
Grindstone: Destroys Large Rocks. Uhh... Drawing a blank. 0/5
Hover Jade: Grants hover. Stops the character from falling? Might be neat. 3/5
Lash Psynergy: Creates a rope to attach to things, could be a tether. 4/5
Pound Cube: Ground fist slam. Could be the down throw in the grab. 4/5
Scoop Gem: Sand anyone? Could be used to dig up items. 2/5
Teleport Lapis: I can imagine this being the default Up Special (although retreat is more likely). 5/5
Tremor Bit: Causes ground to shake, tripping anyone? 2/5

GS3:
Grip Crystal: Similar to Lash, can be a good Tether move. 4/5
Insight Glass: Reveals things... Not that usable. 0/5
Slap Glove: Yeah! Slap em! Slap em all! Grab side throw. 4/5
Sand Prince Stone, Ice Queen Stone, Crush Tusk, Third Eye: Non-Eath Adept usable. 0/5
I always imagined the Invisible cloak being used for his spot/air dodge

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can you imagine all the Not Isaac characters you'd have to put in that book to throw people off?

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
That Isaac Moveset reddit post is at 1.5K

And on the front page.

Good.

The demand for Isaac is insane! I think even more then Geno atm! I feel like if Skull Kid didn't have that leak, Isaac would be on top!

Look at the last reddit poll
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/97x206/smash_bros_ultimate_survey_results_based_on_over/

Isaac is in the spot light.

DLC is a given at this point if not in base! US the fans will go for him. Plus I bet the whoever makes it from the forbidden 4 will back us up, as we would back em up too.
isaaca.png

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Thing is about the characters getting in currently is that they're a mix of ballot voted and also long time requests that have been asked for since the Brawl era. Ridley, Simon, and K. Rool were all pretty big requests back in Brawl alongside Geno and Megaman.

Isaac was up there too, popular enough to warrant his AT appearance alongside Ridley as a boss...

I don't think Simon got in from the ballot I think he got in on the basis of being requested for years. I think by the time of Smash 4 his popularity fell quite a bit since Castlevania as a series was sort of floundering yet heres Simon now....This is great for characters like Isaac and Geno who have had strong following's since the same era.

Isaac has the advantage of being a big request back around Brawl and in the ballot era. That gives him a great chance. I keep seeing Skull Kid pop up now, if Skull Kid gets in he's also a popular Brawl era request that would get in due to him being asked for since Brawl.

I think Sakurai is looking at not only the ballot but also requests that he's heard for years now that kept popping up. Isaac has both in his corner.

KMDP

Smash Legend
People often theorize as to why Isaac was removed in Smash 4. It has always been possible he was omitted due to unrealized grander designs, however that, to me at least, was a very optimistic take. On the flip side it's also always been possible, as perhaps evidenced by this kind of reaction, that Sakurai and co. were simply unaware he still had demand behind him so far out from his games. You hear about how Nintendo secretly keeps tabs on the popularity trends of Smash candidates, but, how true is that really? As another paragraph in that post explains, they completely missed the mark when trying to predict the ballot.

They didn't have their finger on the pulse as much as they'd lead us to believe. Or really at all, since what they lead us to believe was basically a sham of an election. Ostensibly they were wrong about Bayo being an obvious frontrunner (possibly Cloud too if he was added under similar conditions), meanwhile the character propagated by the diehard Nintendo fans catches them totally off-guard.
I'll quote something I just posted on the Discussion Thread a few minutes ago, since it's related to what you said in that post.
Sakurai: "Let's see who won the ballot... ...Oh ****, K. Rool!? Dammit, we don't have any resources for him! Quick! Throw something together! I'll get started on the next game's project plan!"
:ultkrool:: *pulls out trombone*
There were probably lots of old Nintendo characters Nintendo didn't realise people still liked. :laugh:

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I'll quote something I just posted on the Discussion Thread a few minutes ago, since it's related to what you said in that post.

:ultkrool:: *pulls out trombone*
There were probably lots of old Nintendo characters Nintendo didn't realise people still liked. :laugh:
Nintendo didnt see it coming.

People saying many things about GBA but in the DS era we only have Lucario
Just Lucario of the entire DS era
OUCH. The DS got it even worse. Why are modern Nintendo handhelds treated with little care???

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Thing is about the characters getting in currently is that they're a mix of ballot voted and also long time requests that have been asked for since the Brawl era. Ridley, Simon, and K. Rool were all pretty big requests back in Brawl alongside Geno and Megaman.

Isaac was up there too, popular enough to warrant his AT appearance alongside Ridley as a boss...

I don't think Simon got in from the ballot I think he got in on the basis of being requested for years. I think by the time of Smash 4 his popularity fell quite a bit since Castlevania as a series was sort of floundering yet heres Simon now....This is great for characters like Isaac and Geno who have had strong following's since the same era.

Isaac has the advantage of being a big request back around Brawl and in the ballot era. That gives him a great chance. I keep seeing Skull Kid pop up now, if Skull Kid gets in he's also a popular Brawl era request that would get in due to him being asked for since Brawl.

I think Sakurai is looking at not only the ballot but also requests that he's heard for years now that kept popping up. Isaac has both in his corner.

Exactly! The demand since the beginning! What is great about Isaac is he already had his foot in the door for Smash. Sakurai knows about him.
He has been a name for the past 2 smash games. It's not a crazy request.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Definitely not. Yacht Club probably opted to try and get Shovel Knight in Rivals of Aether as the next best thing after SK got an Assist Trophy role in Smash. I would argue that Shovel Knight in Rivals of Aether probably isn't a coincidence, but he definitely was not denied in Smash because he was in Rivals of Aether. Nintendo probably had no clue that was happening.

No, the Shovel Knight AT was entirely based on the ballot, but he wasn't notable enough to become playable. Even if he placed Top 10 overall (which we don't really know), it was probably easy enough to tell that Shovel Knight in the ballot was mostly a bandwagon due to him having good timing, and just not having enough of a legacy for Smash. But he did well enough at least that Sakurai decided to still add an Assist Trophy.

If Isaac got anywhere near the level of support Shovel Knight did (online polls heavily imply that Isaac did), Isaac is probably in given the fact that Isaac is actually a Nintendo owned character.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Yeah I feel like there are consoles that need more franchises that originated from them in Smash. N64 could use Banjo Kazooie, Custom Robo and Sin & Punishment. GBA could use Golden Sun, DS could use Professor Layton

Last edited:

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
Certainly my good sir! I sat down and listed all newcomers per iteration and marked down in order of their arrival whether or not they introduced a new IP. Using that number, you can divide by the number of newcomers to find out the % of newcomers who brought with them a new IP.

I had to set the rule of "once a series is confirmed by a character, it can't be counted again). After all, Marth introduced the series but Roy was also in Melee as a clone. So Roy's series was already counted. It makes the calculation a lot cleaner as it removes duplication. I have the tallies below
  • Of the 12 newcomers in 64, 10 of them brought a new series (With Luigi and Jigglypuff not adding to the tally)
  • For Melee, only 3 newcomers were from a new series (Ice Climbers, Mr Game & Watch, Marth)
  • In Brawl, 6 newcomers were from a new series (Olimar, R.O.B, Pit, Snake, Sonic and Wario)
  • 3DS/Wii U had the most with a staggering 11 (Bayonetta, Cloud, Duck Hunt Duo, Litte Mac, Mega Man, Mii Fighters, Pac-Man, Ryu, Shulk, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer
    • If we exclude DLC, that is 8 out of 15
  • Ultimate has 2 right now (Inkling and Simon)
Using that, you can divide by the number of newcomers total to find the rate.
  • N64 = 10 / 12 = 83.33%
  • Melee = 3 / 13 = 23.08%
  • Brawl = 6 / 15 = 40.00%
  • 3DS/Wii U = 11 / 19 = 57.89%
    • If we exclude DLC, it is 8 / 15 = 53.33%
  • Ultimate = 2 / 8 = 25.00%
I do statistics and maths a lot so I am used to this sort of thing. If I excluded the echoes, the rate is higher due to most of them being part of the same series so it distorts the result. But hopefully this makes sense!

EDIT: Per request I have added the option to exclude DLC from 3DS/Wii U
Thanks a lot for this! VEry interesting read!

as for that interview about K. Krool, I am sure Isaac is in now!!!

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
i know alot of people hated custom moves but I kinda wish they were returning just so Isaac could have a more diverse movepool

KMDP

Smash Legend
If you break down debuts by series, console representation is... well...

:ultgnw: is... unique
Arcade: :ultdk::ultmario::ultlittlemac:| :ultpacman::ultryu:
NES: :ultlink::ultsamus::ultness::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers::ultpit::ultrob::ultduckhunt: | :ultmegaman::ultsimon:
MSX2: :ultsnake:
SNES: :ultyoshi::ultfox::ultfalcon:
MD/Genesis: :ultsonic:
Gameboy: :ultpikachu::ultwario::ultkirby:
N64: :ultvillager:
GBA: ...
Gamecube: :ultolimar:
Wii: :ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer:
DS: ...
Wii U: :ultinkling:
3DS: ...

The later Nintendo handhelds get no love.

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Nintendo didnt see it coming.

OUCH. The DS got it even worse. Why are modern Nintendo handhelds treated with little care???
Well... thanks to the FE troop (Robin and his harem[Chrom e Lucina] + Corrin) the 3ds e well represented (Yep if we didn't have the "FE spam" all the hand held post gba would be hit)

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
If you break it down debuts by series, console representation is... well...

:ultgnw: is... unique
Arcade: :ultdk::ultmario::ultlittlemac:| :ultpacman::ultryu:
NES: :ultlink::ultsamus::ultness::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers::ultpit::ultrob::ultduckhunt: | :ultmegaman::ultsimon:
MSX2: :ultsnake:
SNES: :ultyoshi::ultfox::ultfalcon:
MD/Genesis: :ultsonic:
Gameboy: :ultpikachu::ultwario::ultkirby:
N64: :ultvillager:
GBA: ...
Gamecube: :ultolimar:
Wii: :ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer:
DS: ...
Wii U: :ultinkling:
3DS: ...

The later Nintendo handhelds get no love.
LUCAS.

AND

ZERO SUIT SAMUS. JEEZ.
Yeah I feel like there are consoles that need more franchises that originated from them in Smash. N64 could use Banjo Kazooie, Custom Robo and Sin & Punishment. GBA could use Golden Sun, DS could use Professor Layton
I just checked. But Sin and Punishment, Custom Robo, Advanced wars, and Starfy are the only Nintendo franchises left for proper representation.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Didn't Roy (Fire Emblem) originate in a GBA game?

Also, in terms of alternate costumes, we got some new GBA representation in Ultimate. Leaf (Pokemon Trainer) originated in FireRed/LeafGreen. Although it could be argued she is based off of the female trainer originally planned for the GB games.

KMDP

Smash Legend
LUCAS.

AND

ZERO SUIT SAMUS. JEEZ.

I just checked. But Sin and Punishment, Custom Robo, Advanced wars, and Starfy are the only Nintendo franchises left for proper representation.
Didn't Roy (Fire Emblem) originate in a GBA game?

Also, in terms of alternate costumes, we got some new GBA representation in Ultimate. Leaf (Pokemon Trainer) originated in FireRed/LeafGreen. Although it could be argued she is based off of the female trainer originally planned for the GB games.
Lucas is from Mother, which debuted on the NES
Zamus is from Metroid, which debuted on the NES
Roy is from Fire Emblem, which debuted on the NES

There are no mistakes in my post.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Lucas is from Mother, which debuted on the NES
Zamus is from Metroid, which debuted on the NES
Roy is from Fire Emblem, which debuted on the NES

There are no mistakes in my post.
I wasn't responding to you, I was thinking more of the image that alguidrag alguidrag posted.

I did some research and Roy came out in Melee before his original FE appearance on the GBA. This is really splitting hairs to say that Roy originated on the GCN. Roy is clearly properly a GBA game represent. He debuted in Melee solely to advertise his GBA FE game.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I wasn't responding to you, I was thinking more of the image that alguidrag alguidrag posted.

I did some research and Roy came out in Melee before his original FE appearance on the GBA. This is really splitting hairs to say that Roy originated on the GCN. Roy is clearly properly a GBA game represent.
Yeah, I figured; had to cover my bases.

Whether you count Roy as a GCN or GBA character depends on if you consider promotional pre-release appearances as a true first appearance. )He's obviously a GBA character though)

To extend on my series debut post. Who could we pick to rep GBA, DS, 3DS and Switch specific debuts?

GBA and Switch are obvious; Isaac and Spring Man.

But DS and 3DS are harder.

I guess Dillon could be the 3DS guy? I can't think of any other Nintendo franchises that started on the 3DS.

I'm at a loss for the DS though.
EDIT: Wait, did "Dillon's Rolling Western" even debut on the 3DS? I think it might have been a DS game...

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
:ultdarksamus: GCN
edit: Oh, I getcha. Metroid debuted on the NES.
(Though Prime is sort of a different-ish beast... kinda)

Dillon, Pushmo, Sakura Samurai for 3DS.
Codename S.T.E.A.M. guys too.
Steel Submarine, although that's an item.

Last edited:

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
I mean...Starfy kept his AT spot over Isaac. Isaac is way more popular, I can only assume Isaac will get bumped up

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Whether you count Roy as a GCN or GBA character depends on if you consider promotional pre-release appearances as a true first appearance. )He's obviously a GBA character though)
Yeah, I mean technically the image is right. However, it really just goes to show that it can't be taken at face value. Roy appearing first in Melee does not make him a representation of the GCN era, I think we could all agree on that. Roy debuted in his own franchise on the GBA, and was only put in Melee to promote that game.

Many other characters represent eras separate from their franchise introductions, as well. Like Zelda's Down B that was introduced in SSB4 is a representation of the DS era Zelda games (Phantom Hourglass, I believe, but I only rented that game. It's been a long time). Link's design points him toward Wii U/Switch. There's a lot more nuance to character representation of consoles/games than just looking at the characters' raw origins.

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I figured; had to cover my bases.

To extend on my series debut post. Who could we pick to rep GBA, DS, 3DS and Switch specific debuts?

GBA and Switch are obvious; Isaac and Spring Man.

But DS and 3DS are harder.

I guess Dillon could be the 3DS guy? I can't think of any other Nintendo franchises that started on the 3DS.

I'm at a loss for the DS though.
EDIT: Wait, did "Dillon's Rolling Western" even debut on the 3DS? I think it might have been a DS game...

MATTHEW!

Edit: on an equally hilarious note how about Spectrobes?

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah, I mean technically the image is right. However, it really just goes to show that it can't be taken at face value. Roy appearing first in Melee does not make him a representation of the GCN era, I think we could all agree on that. Roy debuted in his own franchise on the GBA, and was only put in Melee to promote that game.

Many other characters represent eras separate from their franchise introductions, as well. Like Zelda's Down B that was introduced in SSB4 is a representation of the DS era Zelda games (Phantom Hourglass, I believe, but I only rented that game. It's been a long time). Link's design points him toward Wii U/Switch. There's a lot more nuance to character representation of consoles/games than just looking at the characters' raw origins.
Toon Link can either represent GBA (Four Sword) or GCN (Wind Waker). I believe Four Sword was the first playable appearance of the Toon-LOZ Art Style, but Wind Waker debuted in the same month and was much, much more notable with it's style. Not even getting into trailers or anything.
But Matthew comes from Golden Sun, a series that debuted on the GBA. ;)

Just goes to show just how much Nintendo has come to rely on their old franchises, new franchises are a rare breed.

I mean, the reliance is totally justified, those old series are golden.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Toon Link can either represent GBA (Four Sword) or GCN (Wind Waker). I believe Four Sword was the first playable appearance of the Toon-LOZ Art Style, but Wind Waker debuted in the same month and was much, much more notable with it's style. Not even getting into trailers or anything.
Well, there you have it. You officially found a hole in the image's reasoning. If Roy originated on the GCN because he first appeared in Melee, then Toon Link originated on the GBA because he first appeared in the Four Swords side game with the ALTTP GBA release. Them's the rules!

And that ones more than a technicality, actually. I would solidly put him in the GBA category because of that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom